• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Hey, any of you folks gonna be in San Antonio for PAX South next weekend and wanna hang out during/after event hours? Found out today I'm only gonna have my randoms with me on Friday, so hit me up!

FyreWulff

Any thoughts on the Scorpio in this thread? FUNK posted a thread on gaming side, but I must be out of touch with reality for wanting exclusives on the Scorpio. Like, I hope Halo 6 looks and plays extraordinary on it. If MS is really gonna bank on people buying the Scorpio for slightly better graphics, I hope 343 delivers something absolutely stunning, both visually and gameplay-wise. Campaign is gonna have to be top notch and the excellent multiplayer needs to continue with better maps, sand box settings, and an adjustment to the weird aiming acceleration/sensitivity settings. Armor options need to be more than just helmet and body. Needs to go back to reach style options and we need those sweet armor effects. So 343, no pressure :p

Power wise it makes sense that Scorpio should have exclusives. Office-politically, however, they're gonna try to not reset the userbase they have ever again.

I've said in other threads, but if Scorpio takes off like a rocket, they'll forget that "you have to ship on One too" requirement with the quickness.

Haruko

Hey, any of you folks gonna be in San Antonio for PAX South next weekend and wanna hang out during/after event hours? Found out today I'm only gonna have my randoms with me on Friday, so hit me up!

I'm taking a break from PAXes this year, sadly. Kinda regret it, as I could have gone to the WWE Royal Rumble in San Antonio on Sunday evening after the con, lol...

Hope you have fun and win the Halo 4 FFA this year.
Maybe they'll actually have Xbones/Halo 5 instead?

Guys I preordered HaloWars Ultimate edition on the Xbox store and how do I get access to Halo Wars DE?

I downloaded something called Halo Wars DE and it was only like 10MB. And whenever I click on it it takes me to the store page for the Halo Wars 2 beta

Akai__

Guys I preordered HaloWars Ultimate edition on the Xbox store and how do I get access to Halo Wars DE?

I downloaded something called Halo Wars DE and it was only like 10MB. And whenever I click on it it takes me to the store page for the Halo Wars 2 beta

You wait 7-10 days, until you get a message with the code.

Fuchsdh

Power wise it makes sense that Scorpio should have exclusives. Office-politically, however, they're gonna try to not reset the userbase they have ever again.

I've said in other threads, but if Scorpio takes off like a rocket, they'll forget that "you have to ship on One too" requirement with the quickness.

I doubt Scorpio takes off like a rocket, though, given that MS has to fight an uphill battle this gen and it doesn't seem like they're interested in shipping a $400 SKU, at least initially (or maybe they've been gas lighting everyone with the price.)

We'll see. Got plenty of XB1 games to play right now, not going to worry much about the future. Would be nice to see H5 get some Scorpio love though, especially since H6 isn't imminently coming.

I would love for it to take off and be a hit. I'm just skeptical of how that will happen without it being advertised as next gen or without good exclusives to sell it. To me the best approach for MS would be to get away from this gen entirely. The mishaps of the xbox one are going to follow Scorpio if they don't market it very carefully. All that is to say is that I guess I'm pretty concerned.

So it looks like 343 is looking for 4v4 maps after 13 months.

4v4-jpg.47482

Which is amusing because most people who made these maps have either moved on or are currently banging their head against the wall dealing with the recent framerate issues.

It would be nice to get some of the great custom content online, but the matchmaking team's idea of level design are focus tested donuts. Or perhaps they'll do something different like throw fusion coils everywhere on Riptide - except the room everyone is actually camping. I doubt they'd be judging these maps on any merit beyond framerate; every interesting map is going to be sidestepped.

Any thoughts on the Scorpio in this thread? FUNK posted a thread on gaming side, but I must be out of touch with reality for wanting exclusives on the Scorpio. Like, I hope Halo 6 looks and plays extraordinary on it. If MS is really gonna bank on people buying the Scorpio for slightly better graphics, I hope 343 delivers something absolutely stunning, both visually and gameplay-wise. Campaign is gonna have to be top notch and the excellent multiplayer needs to continue with better maps, sand box settings, and an adjustment to the weird aiming acceleration/sensitivity settings. Armor options need to be more than just helmet and body. Needs to go back to reach style options and we need those sweet armor effects. So 343, no pressure :p

I dont think they can do any more 180s, especially if their initial statement is something positive for all gamers who bought the xbox one already. the line of "nobodies left behind" ensures those with an xbox one, that the new games also play on their xbox one and not just Scorpio. i know if we go to a feature level that both are initially the same and its an enhanced xbox one. But i think we need to think of the positives and negatives.

exclusives on scorpio
-alienates the customers who bought the xbox one s for 4k bluray and 4k output
-marketing hell due to previous statements on scorpio announcement "but you said this!"
+prettier/better performing game compared to if it would have ran on just xbox one

i just feel its a very fragile line to cross.

to note - Halo 6 will look extraordinary. Until we find out more details on how the new sdk works and how difficult it will be to make an Xbox One version vs a Scorpio version, then we can't really say it'll be held back. so far all the things about uwp/dx12 seem to point that there wont be a bigger gulf to cross when making different versions. IDK though im not a dev and just observing.

FyreWulff

I doubt Scorpio takes off like a rocket, though, given that MS has to fight an uphill battle this gen and it doesn't seem like they're interested in shipping a $400 SKU, at least initially (or maybe they've been gas lighting everyone with the price.)

We'll see. Got plenty of XB1 games to play right now, not going to worry much about the future. Would be nice to see H5 get some Scorpio love though, especially since H6 isn't imminently coming.

PS4 Pro is also faceplanting right now in terms of share.

I would love for it to take off and be a hit. I'm just skeptical of how that will happen without it being advertised as next gen or without good exclusives to sell it. To me the best approach for MS would be to get away from this gen entirely. The mishaps of the xbox one are going to follow Scorpio if they don't market it very carefully. All that is to say is that I guess I'm pretty concerned.

I just hope they don't repeat the mistake the Pro had where they didn't notably increase the RAM. I expect 343 to persue the dynamic res tech more, with the One version of Halo 6 being on the lower end of the scale with the Scorpio version being on the higher end.

What I expect a lot of is "NATIVE 4K VERSION OF PS4/ONE GAME TOOT TOOT" and then maybe leaning on the "next gen" aspect more if sales are where they want them. On the other hand, if they're fully investing into shipping on Windows now.. they sort of have to support that One<->Scorpio power scale anyway, so....

Woorloog

Banned
Hmm, it seems HW2 season pass has campaign content as well? Not keen on Blitz but otherwise the game doesn't seem to be bad and campaign DLC interests me (though hopefully the campaign is complete as it is and not some kind cliff-hanger or something).

Kinda want to get this, and Halo Wars DE while at it, but not at MS store price of 90&#8364;. CDkeys has the the Ultimate Edition for 70&#8364; but how do things work if i get HW2 from there?

EDIT Sigh... wrong tab again. Multiple tabs with "Halo" open.

BizzyBum

summit is streaming Halo 2 PC right now with about 20k viewers.

It's too bad 343 doesn't fix the PC version of Halo 5 cause those 20k viewers would be for that instead. If Halo 6 does come on PC I really hope it's a great port like Gears 4 was.

Doing more 180's definitely wouldn't help. So I get that side of thought.
I just hope they don't repeat the mistake the Pro had where they didn't notably increase the RAM. I expect 343 to persue the dynamic res tech more, with the One version of Halo 6 being on the lower end of the scale with the Scorpio version being on the higher end.

What I expect a lot of is "NATIVE 4K VERSION OF PS4/ONE GAME TOOT TOOT" and then maybe leaning on the "next gen" aspect more if sales are where they want them. On the other hand, if they're fully investing into shipping on Windows now.. they sort of have to support that One<->Scorpio power scale anyway, so....
I don't know much about the ps4 pro other than it was only a small portion of total ps4 sales in December. The 4k native gaming pitch makes sense. Other people have mentioned that MS should start with supporting both Scorpio and the xbox one, but eventually taper off support of the xbox one down the road. Which is similar to what you were saying. I think that makes the most sense right now. Scorpio can always flex its muscles at the end of the xbox one's life if it is successful enough.

FyreWulff

Doing more 180's definitely wouldn't help. So I get that side of thought.

I don't know much about the ps4 pro other than it was only a small portion of total ps4 sales in December. The 4k native gaming pitch makes sense. Other people have mentioned that MS should start with supporting both Scorpio and the xbox one, but eventually taper off support of the xbox one down the road. Which is similar to what you were saying. I think that makes the most sense right now. Scorpio can always flex its muscles at the end of the xbox one's life if it is successful enough.

Yeah, if they're going to do half gens the leapfrog method makes sense.

One + Scorpio
Scorpio
Scorpio + Xbox 5
Xbox 5
Xbox 5 Super Scorpio

etc

They should have left that ambiguous from the start but I agree.

Having a library that will always go forward on new consoles will be a huge factor as well. We may see first party studios move to a longer support cycle like PC Devs.

EYEL1NER

Oh man, I got an Anti-Air Wraith from a Common Random Vehicle REQ, I think the first time I've gotten to use one. That thing felt like a tank at the end of a WZFF match. Knights and Wardans were hitting it and it just kept on going. It helped though that I managed to get myself wedged in behind a Scorpion and Wraith that I could shoot over while they took the immobilizing hits. But I liked that a lot. Wish I could have used it against a big Flying Vehicle wave to see if was actually a match for Banshees or not.

Oh man, I got an Anti-Air Wraith from a Common Random Vehicle REQ, I think the first time I've gotten to use one. That thing felt like a tank at the end of a WZFF match. Knights and Wardans were hitting it and it just kept on going. It helped though that I managed to get myself wedged in behind a Scorpion and Wraith that I could shoot over while they took the immobilizing hits. But I liked that a lot. Wish I could have used it against a big Flying Vehicle wave to see if was actually a match for Banshees or not.

It is a godsend for Banshee stages

Madness

just remember, my finger is on the trigger for the Spartan Company.

#TyrantGringo

At least count your blessings you're at not Heckfu level of bannings yet #HitlerFu

a0qGDDj.png

I have to check now whether I was Order 66'ed from the company as well.

Is there a Halo wars thread?

That being said, is there a co-op mode? I've been playing a lot of sc2 and I love their co-op mode.

There should be. They said one year of Halo 5 OT behavior would be enough of a gauge.

Someone get ready to make Halo |OT25| soon. Makes no sense to discuss Halo Wars 2 and a potential H6 or other Halo games in the H5 thread.

EYEL1NER

It is a godsend for Banshee stages
That's good to know then. I thought I actually had gotten the license for it, but I haven't. So hopefully I get it soon so I can start obtaining the REQs and spawning them.
I got a cool Mantis from a random REQ that I managed to keep alive for a long time. It there a Mantis with a shield that regens? I ask because I stayed alive forever in it through some serious damage. I never get to use a Mantis much but I got it randomly at the beginning of a Wave 3 "Defend the Garage" Stormbreak match and stayed alive the whole time, killing or assisting in the kills of 9 Hunters in that round alone, and then mopping up the Wardans in Round 5 with them. It seemed a lot better than the ones I usually use. It had a chaingun, so it couldn't have been the Hanibal since that has a gauss cannon, right? But it also locked on with the missiles. EDIT: I just got my first certification for any Mantis, the regular one, and it mentions locking on (something I never realized they did, because I have been worthless in them in the past). So maybe it was just a regular Mantis that I was using and it was is it luck and my teammates also having a lot of vehicles to take the heat off of me that kept me alive so long. It just seemed like I got hit a bunch by Hunters while I was in it.

I'm a bit bummed right now. I thought I was approaching completion of my WZFF wins commendation, the last one needed to get the WZFF Mastery and all those Gold packs as a reward. I looked and said "Oh, I need five more wins" after a win, so I kept playing. Turns out that was only to complete level 4 of 5, I wasn't paying close enough attention.
Oh well, 60 more to go.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Really looking forward to HCS st louis starting today. Hope to see LG come together a bit, bubu and shotzy to make a splash, cratos to look like a dumpster fire, and danoxide robot listen-ins!

Trup1aya

I'm a bit bummed right now. I thought I was approaching completion of my WZFF wins commendation, the last one needed to get the WZFF Mastery and all those Gold packs as a reward. I looked and said "Oh, I need five more wins" after a win, so I kept playing. Turns out that was only to complete level 4 of 5, I wasn't paying close enough attention.
Oh well, 60 more to go.

Lol the exact same thing happened to me. I needed like 20 more gold packs to finish my Reqs, and I noticed I could get a nice chuck if i won a few WZFF games to complete the commendation. So I grinded FF that weekend, and thought I completed the commendation, only to realize I'd only reached level 5. Luckily I actually completed my gold packs in the process (I had a ton of boosts), cause I had gotten pretty sick of FF.

Yeah, if they're going to do half gens the leapfrog method makes sense.

One + Scorpio
Scorpio
Scorpio + Xbox 5
Xbox 5
Xbox 5 Super Scorpio

etc
I can't wait for E3 this year to see what is in the works. And sorry about the slow replies yesterday. I had a pretty bad headache and was trying to post from my phone. Feeling better today lol, plus i'm at an actual computer.
They should have left that ambiguous from the start but I agree.

Having a library that will always go forward on new consoles will be a huge factor as well. We may see first party studios move to a longer support cycle like PC Devs.
Longer support would be fantastic.
Steelyuhas is too busy watching Game of Thrones.

Top Bottom