• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

IHaveIce

Banned
I play on "smurfs" when I'm, playing with my friends who aren't able to place very high and since the matchmaking system is so weird. Also needed them when there was no Social, after a break of a few weeks I couldn't be pressed to play agaisnt diamonds right from the start again.

Other things: I'm doing my placements in FFA and play against Onyxs again, they were so far always the last place.. So I'm guessing I will be plat again lol

Hey guys in case you didn't knew there is also a new Warzone Firefight Easter Egg, I was part of the first 8 people to find it and I made a tutorial on how to get it on my Youtube channel, I'm posting it here because this is the first video that I make 100% on English so I would appreciate a lot it you could give me feedback, thanks and enjoy!

https://youtu.be/cEzUXDOKy20

Hey guys in case you didn't knew there is also a new Warzone Firefight Easter Egg, I was part of the first 8 people to find it and I made a tutorial on how to get it on my Youtube channel, I'm posting it here because this is the first video that I make 100% on English so I would appreciate a lot it you could give me feedback, thanks and enjoy!

https://youtu.be/cEzUXDOKy20

Nice! I liked and subscribed and left a bilingual comment. English is good.

I play on "smurfs" when I'm, playing with my friends who aren't able to place very high and since the matchmaking system is so weird. Also needed them when there was no Social, after a break of a few weeks I couldn't be pressed to play agaisnt diamonds right from the start again.

Other things: I'm doing my placements in FFA and play against Onyxs again, they were so far always the last place.. So I'm guessing I will be plat again lol

This has been a problem for forever- the matchmaking system assuming your skill hasn't degraded over time if you haven't played. Would be awesome to have some grace period to warm up, but that's susceptible to exploitation I'm sure.

Trup1aya

This has been a problem for forever- the matchmaking system assuming your skill hasn't degraded over time if you haven't played. Would be awesome to have some grace period to warm up, but that's susceptible to exploitation I'm sure.

I think that's a tough on one, because someone might not touch a particular playlist for a while, but could have been keeping their core skills up in another playlist.

Or they could have been grinding in a different account

So, I like the idea here, spreading out exclusive lore tidbits to various fan channels- community involvement is great. But... those first two videos are pretty goddamn corny. First guy is just endlessly effusive about 343 and CA to the point where it's actually a little embarrassing, and I like a lot of the new lore. The second one... that voice good god.

Third is cool tho. I'd definitely prefer to just get text blocks, but that's always the case with me.

Fuchsdh

So, I like the idea here, spreading out exclusive lore tidbits to various fan channels- community involvement is great. But... those first two videos are pretty goddamn corny. First guy is just endlessly effusive about 343 and CA to the point where it's actually a little embarrassing, and I like a lot of the new lore. The second one... that voice good god.

Third is cool tho. I'd definitely prefer to just get text blocks, but that's always the case with me.

I definitely get the attitude; I'd rather read text too. But there's people who really just watch videos. It's definitely a different segment of the community (I mean, that's why they tried doing video updates on the Halo Channel).

I definitely get the attitude; I'd rather read text too. But there's people who really just watch videos. It's definitely a different segment of the community (I mean, that's why they tried doing video updates on the Halo Channel).

Yeah, that's what I mean. It's just a personal preference thing, not taking it personally or anything.

Oh Grim one, if you're around, any chance we could get the text from the Honor Guard?

I think that's a tough on one, because someone might not touch a particular playlist for a while, but could have been keeping their core skills up in another playlist.

Or they could have been grinding in a different account

I envision it being for the entire game if you haven't logged on rather than by playlist, but you still have that different account problem. You might be able to avoid it by having a pretty long hiatus needed to trigger "warm up mode" (on the order of weeks), and a pretty short warm-up length, of three games or something.

Can't imagine very many people who are srs enough to smurf to track which account they were on several weeks ago for just a couple games, but I could be wrong.

Trup1aya

I envision it being for the entire game if you haven't logged on rather than by playlist, but you still have that different account problem. You might be able to avoid it by having a pretty long hiatus needed to trigger "warm up mode" (on the order of weeks), and a pretty short warm-up length, of three games or something.

Can't imagine very many people who are srs enough to smurf to track which account they were on several weeks ago for just a couple games, but I could be wrong.

I'm sure some smart folks could figure out a system that work well enough.

But never underestimate the will power of a smurf

In a world where warzone turds are actively going into the 6-man playlists with 12 people, it would be wise not to underestimate the lengths people will go to.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Smurf accounts. How does one go about thus? You know, just out of curiosity...

Trup1aya

Presumably just searching with two six-man parties at the same time. MM goes "Six people... I need six more... oh look! Six people!"

Like just hit search at the exact same time? It's weird because in my mind if feel like the system should want to put the next 6man team it runs across onto the other team.

Like just hit search at the exact same time? It's weird because in my mind if feel like the system should want to put the next 6man team it runs across onto the other team.

Well yeah, but that's assuming MM makes any goddamn sense and takes parties into account, which it doesn't.

mo60

I ran into one of those last night. How do they pull it off?

People on the team other members of a fireteam are trying to join quit and for some reason when people quit from a team that has 6 people in a fireteam that 6 man team restriction breaks down and other players can join the fireteam to make it a 12 man fireteam instead of a 6 man fireteam.

I ran into one of those last night. How do they pull it off?

Presumably just searching with two six-man parties at the same time. MM goes "Six people... I need six more... oh look! Six people!"

People on the team other members of a fireteam are trying to join quit and for some reason when people quit from a team that has 6 people in a fireteam that 6 man team restriction breaks down and other players can join the fireteam to make it a 12 man fireteam instead of a 6 man fireteam.

Actually it happens like this.

It's way simpler than it should be to pull off. Basically, to6 searches and then they let the people in the xbl party know to hit "join" at that point and then *poof* there they are and the game matches them as 12 people on one team and one fireteam.

Actually it happens like this.

It's way simpler than it should be to pull off. Basically, to6 searches and then they let the people in the xbl party know to hit "join" at that point and then *poof* there they are and the game matches them as 12 people on one team and one fireteam.

Too many of those names are familiar. Though I remember beating Spirit Bombs with Schloxictonkey (sp?) and a bunch of randoms back in Reach, so good times.

Halo hasn't had 1 Flag since Reach. And now that we have tools to create our own gametypes, they either aren't officially supported or are not even displaying on the waypoint file browser.

This is exhausting.

pieface

Every game of Ranked Team Slayer I have I seem to have a 1:1 k/d ratio and about 15 assists. I can never seem to get the final shot on people before getting killed. So so so frustrating.

I feel like i'm too old to be good at Halo. :'(

Trup1aya

Every game of Ranked Team Slayer I have I seem to have a 1:1 k/d ratio and about 15 assists. I can never seem to get the final shot on people before getting killed. So so so frustrating.

Its probably your connection to the server.

I notice I'll be a God when i play in the afternoon. But i get most of my play time over night or in the early morning, and it's a toss up whether or not my final shot will land. It's really annoying because a lot of the time I'll get hit markers and everything.

So after playing 120hr+ of Halo 5, I'm parting with my Xbox One S, this time for good. Gonna go on PC for a while and see what Scorpio offers.

Anyways, kick me from the SC, Ram. I'm out.

Vespa

It's the server. If you check the locations of people you're being matched with they're probably a bajillion miles away even with the 'focused' setting. The population pool is small especially for those people who have high ranks and are outside of the US.

I've had games where I've lost against a team and then replayed the exact same people on the same map straight after and destroyed them. Azure servers are lacking that I think I prefer MCC's p2p implementation :/

not going to wait for the next CU?

Nah son, the winds of change grabbed me by the nuts, so I'm selling my OG PS4 and my Xbox One S. Will wait on a Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 Pro bundle, and I'm eagerly looking forward to see what MS has in store for Xbox with Scorpio and Windows 10 @ E3. Plus Halo Wars 2 is coming :D

Nah son, the winds of change grabbed me by the nuts, so I'm selling my OG PS4 and my Xbox One S. Will wait on a Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 Pro bundle, and I'm eagerly looking forward to see what MS has in store for Xbox with Scorpio and Windows 10 @ E3. Plus Halo Wars 2 is coming :D

RIP RICKY
source.gif

m23

Well damn...

Fuchsdh

something something PC master race claims another one...

I'm sad that the play anywhere stuff doesn't relate to cross play. Even if it was just skirmishes it'd be great to play across HW2 instead of splitting the population.

BizzyBum

So am I correct in that these legacy helmets will just be sold in req packs that we pay for? If so that's a little disappointing, I thought they were going to add challenges to unlock them similar to how you get the Timmy helmet (48 hours of customs).

NOKYARD

Halo hasn't had 1 Flag since Reach. And now that we have tools to create our own gametypes, they either aren't officially supported or are not even displaying on the waypoint file browser.

This is exhausting.
Myself and Captain Punch are working on 1 Flag and Assault.

It will be a single prefab which covers both games and can be applied to any map. It is designed to function fairly on both symmetrical and asymmetrical maps due to the way we structured the attack/defend & side switching. It features an optional 5th round Neutral Flag tie-breaker (which optionally removes all vehicles) if you wish to enable it in the settings.

343i is keeping a very close eye on our progress and will be testing once it's fully fleshed out.

something something PC master race claims another one...

I'm sad that the play anywhere stuff doesn't relate to cross play. Even if it was just skirmishes it'd be great to play across HW2 instead of splitting the population.
Didn't one of the other FPS games just announce a cross-play mode?

It will be a single prefab which covers both games and can be applied to any map. It is designed to function fairly on both symmetrical and asymmetrical maps due to the way we structured the attack/defend & side switching. It features an optional 5th round Neutral Flag tie-breaker (which optionally removes all vehicles) if you wish to enable it in the settings.

343i is keeping a very close eye on our progress and will be testing once it's fully fleshed out.

Didn't one of the other FPS games just announce a cross-play mode?

Gears 4 social playlists and horde have cross play. Not FPS but a pretty big MS shooter. So its a good sign for the future.

That's fantastic. I stand by statements I've made in the past that I would rather see the game in the hands of the community, but it's not like these are brand new or complex gametypes we are dealing with here.

NOKYARD

That's fantastic. I stand by statements I've made in the past that I would rather see the game in the hands of the community, but it's not like these are brand new or complex gametypes we are dealing with here.
It appears simple but, far as scripting is concerned, 1 Flag is the most complex game the Scripting Guild has tackled. Way more complex than Invasion.

TCKaos

As it stands, Warzone is functionally unplayable for my family and I. My dad, brother, and I all got together and they have no REQs, and I have all of the REQs. We're sick and tired of getting dunked on by 6 man Wasp and Banshee squads with absolutely no ability to combat them. I can't take down six aerial vehicles at REQ level 3 on my own. I don't have the resources for it. I don't understand how this is even allowable.

We've played nearly 10 games of Warzone and I don't think we won a single match. They were all brutal blowouts that we had absolutely no chance to turn around because a team of BKs with ARs and one BR can't shoot down four Wasps and two Ultra Banshees.

Please get your shit together, and before the next update in lord knows how many months. This game isn't fun anymore and it shouldn't take a goddamn seance to get enough data or playtesters to verify trends that should be evident.

It appears simple but, far as scripting is concerned, 1 Flag is the most complex game the Scripting Guild has tackled. Way more complex than Invasion.

On our end, I don't imagine it to be easy at all, especially when some of the options don't work like they should be expected to.

I'm just musing about 343's lack of interest in 1-sided game modes when they've led to some of the most iconic map designs and gameplay styles in Halo's history. Terminal, Zanzibar, Relic, etc.

mo60

As it stands, Warzone is functionally unplayable for my family and I. My dad, brother, and I all got together and they have no REQs, and I have all of the REQs. We're sick and tired of getting dunked on by 6 man Wasp and Banshee squads with absolutely no ability to combat them. I can't take down six aerial vehicles at REQ level 3 on my own. I don't have the resources for it. I don't understand how this is even allowable.

We've played nearly 10 games of Warzone and I don't think we won a single match. They were all brutal blowouts that we had absolutely no chance to turn around because a team of BKs with ARs and one BR can't shoot down four Wasps and two Ultra Banshees.

Please get your shit together, and before the next update in lord knows how many months. This game isn't fun anymore and it shouldn't take a goddamn seance to get enough data or playtesters to verify trends that should be evident.

Yeah. Air vehicles are way to powerful in warzone and it's really hard to deal with them especially if you have lower level players on your team and/or at a lower req level.

Top Bottom