• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Unstoppable-Force.jpg

if you replace OG and EG

lol these replays

soo ROI comes out Tuesday...Population should take a big hit IMO. Not to mention Battlefield, 2 different CoDs, Gears 4 in the next 2 months.

Population will take a hit for sure, but I think the Pro League viewer numbers should stay strong. Especially if it says anywhere close to as lit as its been over the past 2 days.

man, i wish 343 released the campaign on pc. i didn't care for the story, but I sure loved the level design. I'd pay for it and I'm sure many would also.

soo ROI comes out Tuesday...Population should take a big hit IMO. Not to mention Battlefield, 2 different CoDs, Gears 4 in the next 2 months.

Perfect timing for 343i to drop an update with Custom Game Browser, Race, KOTH, One-flag - basically every missing gametype - and Pro-pipe then.

It's a given that the population will take a hit. I'm sure I'll stop playing for a while.

A really meaty update or two, emphasising gamemodes, would bring myself and others back. Hell, Custom Game Browser alone will achieve that.

Edit: Also, community update tomorrow/today?

Strider

I hate every single one of you for that said you wanted the difficulty of FireFight to be harder during the beta. All I wanted was a no-brainer easy chill game mode but naaaahh...

My experience so far has been all losses and the entire team just sits behind cover and poke shots all game. Shit has been terrible.

It's probably fine and good and well if you have a group going with you but with randoms this mode has been awful so far :(

Trup1aya

I hate every single one of you for that said you wanted the difficulty of FireFight to be harder during the beta. All I wanted was a no-brainer easy chill game mode but naaaahh...

My experience so far has been all losses and the entire team just sits behind cover and poke shots all game. Shit has been terrible.

It's probably fine and good and well if you have a group going with you but with randoms this mode has been awful so far :(

I'm fine with WZ firefight being "hard". I probably win twice as much as a lose. But they really need a classic firefight.

They need to have a more traditional firefight. I look on Gears4 horde mode with envy. You can customize just about everything, including the difficulty, and play the way you want to.

Strider

I'm fine with WZ firefight being "hard". I probably win twice as much as a lose. But they really need a classic firefight.

They need to have a more traditional firefight. I look on Gears4 horde mode with envy. You can customize just about everything, including the difficulty, and play the way you want to.

I guess I should specifiy by "hard" I don't necessarily mean win/loss ratio... I moreso mean I hate that it has seemingly become a camp-fest. But of course the poking does obviously lead to more losses since overall damage output is much lower. I would've been much more ok with a difficulty increase of just needing higher scores, more kills, etc so it's more about efficiency rather than just more enemies that deal more damage all at once.

But yea I stand by my original ideawhich I posted during the beta... Keep the default easier mode (like the beta) but have like a weekend "hard" mode that cranks up the difficulty a lot but has extra rewards. Would've given people a reason to group up and take on a challengging mode too.

Customization, etc. was never gonna be a reality given the way the mode was designed to begin with... maybe for Halo 6.

Since we are coming up on year one of H5, I think there should be some rewards:

If you played H5 within a month of release, you should get an emblem and a special armor set.
If you completed your placement matches every season, you should get an emblem.

Just some ideas I have Frankie!

If no one calls out vehicles, then you will lose. :( you need to use vehicles to win unfortunately.

i found this out the hard way with about a good streak of losses when i first played WFF after the beta.

Fuchsdh

I mean, that's what happens. You couldn't make matchmaking Firefight about survival alone, so they made it time attack. Which means that if you're not moving around aggressively, you'll lose.

Sanjuro

I recieved the Warthog code as well. I'll sell it to anyone interested for only $35!

Need req points and a pizza. PM me for PayPal deets. 🍕

I haven't really looked into the rankings much in my Halo spree. I didn't think people were that obsessed.

Well, i don't care too much. It's more in the lines of being stomped on versus having a good, fun, even match.

Do you really want to be matched against with people who are 7 tiers higher than you in skill? That is my concern.

Strider

I mean, that's what happens. You couldn't make matchmaking Firefight about survival alone, so they made it time attack. Which means that if you're not moving around aggressively, you'll lose.

Well yea. What I'm saying is the way they increased the difficulty means if you run around the map you just die easily... so people stay behind cover instead.

Hence why I think it's worse now than in the beta... because people just sit there and poke instead of moving around the map.

For me... the beta firefight was fun to dick around for a bit in before hitting other playlists... now Firefight is just.... ugh.

BizzyBum

Since we are coming up on year one of H5, I think there should be some rewards:

If you completed your placement matches every season, you should get an emblem.

Anything but this! I was a moron and forgot to place during one month (I think March). I played all month too but it was mostly Warzone and I completely forgot about it. I'm already sad enough that I will never get that March season emblem. =(

Speaking of Firefight, I feel like it already needs a refresher, or at least some new maps.

Sanjuro

Well, i don't care too much. It's more in the lines of being stomped on versus having a good, fun, even match.

Do you really want to be matched against with people who are 7 tiers higher than you in skill? That is my concern.

I agree. Just meant some people going nuts on moving up or being bumped down a peg. Mostly I get it in game with nutballs though.

Anything but this! I was a moron and forgot to place during one month (I think March). I played all month too but it was mostly Warzone and I completely forgot about it. I'm already sad enough that I will never get that March season emblem. =(

You snooze you lose! The Great Journey waits for no one.

To me, the problem isn't that Firefight is too hard, it's that it's boring.

And by that I mean the optimum strategies, the ones you need to use to win reliably, are not very fun.

Basically, shoot a bunch of bullet sponges, run out of ammo, shoot more bullet sponges. Wait for the next round to start so you can order the right REQ. Order the right REQ. Use that REQ to kill even spongier enemies. Wait for the next round to start so you can order the right REQ. Order the right REQ. Use that REQ to kill even spongier enemies. Fall asl-zzzZZ... oh shit 12 Wardens, I guess I'll spawn a tank.

Cranster

Banned
To me, the problem isn't that Firefight is too hard, it's that it's boring.

And by that I mean the optimum strategies, the ones you need to use to win reliably, are not very fun.

Basically, shoot a bunch of bullet sponges, run out of ammo, shoot more bullet sponges. Wait for the next round to start so you can order the right REQ. Order the right REQ. Use that REQ to kill even spongier enemies. Wait for the next round to start so you can order the right REQ. Order the right REQ. Use that REQ to kill even spongier enemies. Fall asl-zzzZZ... oh shit 12 Wardens, I guess I'll spawn a tank.
Well that's a problem with the mode being to difficult. If you can get killed by a promethean Soldier in literally one or two hits why risk calling in high level REQs when you are almost guaranteed to lose them right away? Even Covenant Banshee bosses can destroy your Tank with two Banshee Bombs even if you have the wheelman perk activated.

By giving enemies a ridiculous amount of damage output 343i effectively limited the amount of viable strategies to win in Warzone Firefight.

Strider

Well that's a problem with the mode being to difficult. If you can get killed by a promethean Soldier in literally one or two hits why risk calling in high level REQs when you are almost guaranteed to lose them right away? Even Covenant Banshee bosses can destroy your Tank with two Banshee Bombs even if you have the wheelman perk activated.

By giving enemies a ridiculous amount of damage output 343i effectively limited the amount of viable strategies to win in Warzone Firefight.

This is what I'm getting at.

There were other ways to increase difficulty which I very lightly mentioned earlier but they didn't go that route, I didn't expect them too, and that's why I had that stance that difficulty should not increase in the beta.

Increasing damage output from enemies was just.... ew

psyfi

Banned
I woke up feeling oddly nostalgic about Halo Reach this morning. I don't know if I had a dream about it or what, but I was feeling it hard. The game had a dozen major flaws that were persistently frustrating, but I still had a ton of love for it, and even more so after the title update. The community around it was so strong compared to today, or maybe that's just me being more checked out now. I dunno.

Does anyone ever play it anymore? How is it on XB1? Does it still have those weird ass ghosting issues?

Yep I also hate the enemy strength in FF. I just wanna chill and kill AI, theres so many of those fuckers that even debuffing them down to normal difficulty youll still get melted at times. Pretty much have to sweat against overpowered AI with frosty level aim instead of just chilling enjoying FF.

The core problem with Firefight lies almost entirely in enemy damage output, enemy spawn locations, and the player respawn timer. It's punishing players for playing the game the way it was designed by turning everyone into a glass cannon who is rendered dead within a few plasma pistol shots. Then there's the matter of base/objective defense; there needs to be some sort of notification so the team can hunker down before the enemies start destroying the generators or the core, or capturing the base.

Also, enemies should not be able to spawn right on top of the objective. That is completely unfair and absolute horseshit design.

I really like Firefight, and it's a fun mode I play to grind RP without the frustration of being farmed by Achilles circlejerk companies. But at the same time, it's got a lot of issues, many of which have solutions that are clear as crystal. They just haven't been implemented yet, and there's no word that they ever will be. So we're stuck with a flawed mode.

Karl2177

Teleporting enemies have always been shit. If you think that your enemies need to be less predictable, teleporting as a game mechanic and a story detail is the laziest thing. Fkn lazy devs.

Teleporting enemies have always been shit. If you think that your enemies need to be less predictable, teleporting as a game mechanic and a story detail is the laziest thing. Fkn lazy devs.

We all criticize various aspects of the game, but the folks are 343i are not lazy. They have long work days spent mulling over various aspects of an enormous game, and a lot of stuff they implement (or don't) doesn't always gel well with the community. I get that; it's going to happen with virtually any game, not just Halo. However, just because a solution to a problem isn't ideal, doesn't mean it's automatically "lazy"; it's just poorly conceived.

I will give criticism where it's due, but I am conscious of the fact that the developers are 343i are people who work on a really complicated game. They can't please everyone, and they can't fix every single flaw with their game. That's just not realistic by any means.

We all criticize various aspects of the game, but the folks are 343i are not lazy. They have long work days spent mulling over various aspects of an enormous game, and a lot of stuff they implement (or don't) doesn't always gel well with the community. I get that; it's going to happen with virtually any game, not just Halo. However, just because a solution to a problem isn't ideal, doesn't mean it's automatically "lazy"; it's just poorly conceived.

I will give criticism where it's due, but I am conscious of the fact that the developers are 343i are people who work on a really complicated game. They can't please everyone, and they can't fix every single flaw with their game. That's just not realistic by any means.

Still, no one liked the Prometheans in the first game, no one likes them in this game....at what point can they finally admin to themselves that maybe just maybe, the Prometheans are just shitty enemies. Its as if they made them completely different just to be different then the Elites and Brutes and not because they were actually fun. Just like they made everything in 4 completely different just to be different from Bungie and have an "identity". Change for the sake of change is hardly ever good. We dont want change for the sake of change, we want proper evolution.

One thing i wish is that 343 bring that Bungie "30 seconds of fun" motto back. Its simple, but it makes a lot of sense. If the fights arent fun with these enemies, then why are you insisting on pushing them more?? Feels like stubbornness.

Edit: Also you say theyre not lazy and for the mostpart, i agree. But some of the stuff theyve done was lazy. Like the amount of reused assets in their MP maps. Yes i get it, its easier this way. Fine. But it also makes for lazy map design.

I wish 343 would hire some of those core Bungie guys that are no longer at Bungie like Jaime Griesemer or Max Hoberman so they can get an idea of what we expect from a halo game. For a company thats filled with "halo fans", they sure have a lot of trouble understanding what we expect from a halo game.

Ade

Still, no one liked the Prometheans in the first game, no one likes them in this game....at what point can they finally admin to themselves that maybe just maybe, the Prometheans are just shitty enemies. Its as if they made them completely different just to be different then the Elites and Brutes and not because they were actually fun. Just like they made everything in 4 completely different just to be different from Bungie and have an "identity". Change for the sake of change is hardly ever good. We dont want change for the sake of change, we want proper evolution.

One thing i wish is that 343 bring that Bungie "30 seconds of fun" motto back. Its simple, but it makes a lot of sense. If the fights arent fun with these enemies, then why are you insisting on pushing them more?? Feels like stubbornness.

Edit: Also you say theyre not lazy and for the mostpart, i agree. But some of the stuff theyve done was lazy. Like the amount of reused assets in their MP maps. Yes i get it, its easier this way. Fine. But it also makes for lazy map design.

I wish 343 would hire some of those core Bungie guys that are no longer at Bungie like Jaime Griesemer or Max Hoberman so they can get an idea of what we expect from a halo game. For a company thats filled with "halo fans", they sure have a lot of trouble understanding what we expect from a halo game.

The problem is that even though your post speaks about halo fans and what they expect, there are still opposing views. I like fighting Prometheans, I enjoyed them in 4 and 5. Does this make me not a fan? Can I not have enemies I like fighting in the game?

Top Bottom