• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

DJ Gunner

I woke up feeling oddly nostalgic about Halo Reach this morning. I don't know if I had a dream about it or what, but I was feeling it hard. The game had a dozen major flaws that were persistently frustrating, but I still had a ton of love for it, and even more so after the title update. The community around it was so strong compared to today, or maybe that's just me being more checked out now. I dunno.

Does anyone ever play it anymore? How is it on XB1? Does it still have those weird ass ghosting issues?

I fired the game up with a buddy the other day and played two anniversary slayer games on beavercreek. Aside from making my eyes bleed with aliasing and frame rate, the gameplay felt pretty good. I briefly contemplated returning more frequently until the second game I was matched against Mexicans and remembered how much fun it was to play a game with a population of 150.

Karl2177

Just look at the de facto face of the company, Frank O'Connor. What does he do all day? Post in the OT section of NeoGAF instead of the Halo topic. You know what I call that? Lazy! Or look at David Ellis. He worked on campaign and Firefight. But instead of putting that real work in on the weekend, he's off climbing mountains, getting married, and buying a house. Climbing a mountain? Pinnacle of laziness right there. Lazy devs!

SaganIsGOAT

Still, no one liked the Prometheans in the first game, no one likes them in this game....at what point can they finally admin to themselves that maybe just maybe, the Prometheans are just shitty enemies. Its as if they made them completely different just to be different then the Elites and Brutes and not because they were actually fun. Just like they made everything in 4 completely different just to be different from Bungie and have an "identity". Change for the sake of change is hardly ever good. We dont want change for the sake of change, we want proper evolution.

One thing i wish is that 343 bring that Bungie "30 seconds of fun" motto back. Its simple, but it makes a lot of sense. If the fights arent fun with these enemies, then why are you insisting on pushing them more?? Feels like stubbornness.

Edit: Also you say theyre not lazy and for the mostpart, i agree. But some of the stuff theyve done was lazy. Like the amount of reused assets in their MP maps. Yes i get it, its easier this way. Fine. But it also makes for lazy map design.

I wish 343 would hire some of those core Bungie guys that are no longer at Bungie like Jaime Griesemer or Max Hoberman so they can get an idea of what we expect from a halo game. For a company thats filled with "halo fans", they sure have a lot of trouble understanding what we expect from a halo game.

I think the Prometheans in Halo 5 rule tbh ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Putting a Knight down with a few accurate shots to the side weak point and then one shot to the exposed face is fun everytime. To each their own I guess

Anybody has an extra code of the Spartan Assault?
xbox send me one when I bought Halo 5, but If forgot to redeem it...

Stinkles track that code down

I think the Prometheans in Halo 5 rule tbh ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Putting a Knight down with a few accurate shots to the side weak point and then one shot to the exposed face is fun everytime. To each their own I guess

I enjoy most of my encounters with Prometheans, but they're still lacking when compared to the Covenant.

The soldiers are a sensible addition to H5, for example, but I'd really like to have a visual indicator of how close I am to cracking their helmet cases. With an elite, it's great to see their shield intensify until it fizzles out. With the soldiers, they feel like bullet sponges.

Knights act as fun puzzles. It's satisfying to shoot their armor weaknesses.

The crawlers could use some work. It seems to me that if you don't shoot them exactly in their awkward mouth hitboxes, you can't kill them quickly. They need a weak point on their backside

Fuchsdh

I enjoy most of my encounters with Prometheans, but they're still lacking when compared to the Covenant.

The soldiers are a sensible addition to H5, for example, but I'd really like to have a visual indicator of how close I am to cracking their helmet cases. With an elite, it's great to see their shield intensify until it fizzles out. With the soldiers, they feel like bullet sponges.

Knights act as fun puzzles. It's satisfying to shoot their armor weaknesses.

The crawlers could use some work. It seems to me that if you don't shoot them exactly in their awkward mouth hitboxes, you can't kill them quickly. They need a weak point on their backside

I think the Soldiers have a solid if subtle indicator of damage with the weird "do the wave" gesture they make along with the color change and vocalization.

Just look at the de facto face of the company, Frank O'Connor. What does he do all day? Post in the OT section of NeoGAF instead of the Halo topic. You know what I call that? Lazy! Or look at David Ellis. He worked on campaign and Firefight. But instead of putting that real work in on the weekend, he's off climbing mountains, getting married, and buying a house. Climbing a mountain? Pinnacle of laziness right there. Lazy devs!

Sad!

Glass

Has anyone been on the new BTB maps? Maybe they did put Magnum starts in, considering all these forgers have been campaigning for it and then worked on the playlist with 343.

Welfare

Now I remember why I quit BTB. How the fuck do you go not just below 1.0 KD, but .5? Only me and one other were positive with the others doing something like 4/13 or 5/11.

LMAO just JiP'd into Antifreeze Strongholds at 100 - 0 and the enemy team won with total control. Can't tell if that map got better.

Also is it micro lag or are there frame drops on these maps?

4/13 2/15 1/17! HOW

I don't understand why it's BR starts. Like...why doe?

Looking forward to trying the playlist out regardless.

I really wish they would give their reasons why they won't do it. There has been plenty of evidence to support pistol starts. It's not just us. Beyond, Reddit, hell even Waypoint wants pistol starts.

Also wtf is wrong with these maps. It's like I'm getting noticeable fps drops.

psyfi

Banned
I fired the game up with a buddy the other day and played two anniversary slayer games on beavercreek. Aside from making my eyes bleed with aliasing and frame rate, the gameplay felt pretty good. I briefly contemplated returning more frequently until the second game I was matched against Mexicans and remembered how much fun it was to play a game with a population of 150.
Haha, yeah, it was like that even back in early 2014, the last time I played it. Still though, at the time the Anni playlists were the best Halo playlist. Definitely better than Halo 4, and I'd argue better than Halo 3. Did they ever consolidate the playlists? I should probably give up on that one.

TCKaos

Scavenger has some bad framerate dips at Junction post-update. Maybe a bit too much visual flair?

Might just be me, though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just caught up on yesterdays HCS matches. Amazing showing by EG. The addition of Ninja and VictoryX has paid huge dividends.

Edit: This season is looking to be amazing. Lots of competition which is great.

Nice, BTB has framerates drops now lol

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if they even test this shit.

Also our teammates were morons. Look at this guy, I died getting a video of him lol. http://xboxclips.com/ForerunnerGAF/acf692cc-c659-4e69-8bbf-ce87501f1920

I like that they added more vehicles/weapons and made the maps visually pleasing. However, the FPS drops are noticeable, which I don't understand because WZ doesn't have this problem and it's much larger with more ppl. Also pistol starts for the love of god.

ultimota

unearthed might just be the worst map in halo history o_o nice looking but the top of the excavator is wayyyyyy too powerful.

also the framefrate on these maps are terrible o_O

belushy

Banned
Ran around on a few of the btb refreshes. Antifreeze is even smaller now. It could probably work for 4v4 at this point even lol

It looks pretty nice though. Got a nice forunner design going. Forge re-iterations are pretty cool since forge keeps getting better and better.

TCKaos

After checking out all of the maps, I've got to say that there were few that weren't completely improved upon. Antifreeze is playable now and most of the other maps have some huge overhauls or tiny tweaks that look like they'll be far more fun to play on.

Meanwhile, Traffic Jam (or atleast the one available from the file browser) is currently missing a wall in blue base where you can fall straight through the map and Estuary's softkills are broken like Antifreeze Classic. The other two seem fine.

Trup1aya

Glass

It's funny, because no one wanting BR starts is a credit to how well 343 nailed H5's starting loadout.

It's almost like BR starts were put in to counter any hostility about no longer having BR starts across multiplayer, as a 'We think pistol starts work better for H5 but if you still want BR starts you have BTB.'

The only reason to keep BR starts is because it lowers the skill gap and lets everyone compete. So even BKMcBaddie can get a few kills. There really is no other reason to keep it and I have to remember they need to accommodate their whole population.

Strider

What was funny about my one game of BTB last night was that on one of the maps (idk what its called) there was actually a tactical magnum you could pick up.... But why on earth would I do that when I start with a BR lol

343 pleeeaaaaase.

Just tried the game out on PC.

Really disappointing visually, I actually thought my graphical settings weren't taking hold. I like the way everything feels, just need to find a different key then Caps Lock for thrust as that's not something I'm really used to.

Looking forward to the custom game browser so I can put in some time to see how the MP is.

Just tried the game out on PC.

Really disappointing visually, I actually thought my graphical settings weren't taking hold. I like the way everything feels, just need to find a different key then Caps Lock for thrust as that's not something I'm really used to.

Looking forward to the custom game browser so I can put in some time to see how the MP is.

rebindable keys bro

Top Bottom