• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Trup1aya

Yeah, it's the fandom that's toxic...

That's why the sales and population has been eroding for 7 years.

It's toxic for a user to feel sense of ownership with a franchise that they spent thousands of hours and dollars in, creating country stories, memories and friendship along the way? The more "healthy" attitude would be " who ever is appointed to control it should do whatever the hell they want, regardless of what the fanbase holds dear"?

jlaw-whtvr.gif

Trup1aya

Poodlestrike, I don't recall you being so consistently antagonistic in the past lol.

He's not the antagonist. He's the hero halo doesnt deserve, but he's the one it needs right now.

In other news, scorpio has was going to launch with 8GBs of ram for games and 4GBs for system functions-

They must have been optimizing system resources, because They've now pushed it to 9GBs for games!!!

yeo8wZ1_d.webp

Their engineers are killing it right now. Gimme my h5 Scorpio patch!

Yeah, it's the fandom that's toxic...

That's why the sales and population has been eroding for 7 years.

It's toxic for a user to feel sense of ownership with a franchise that they spent thousands of hours and dollars in, creating country stories, memories and friendship along the way? The more "healthy" attitude would be " who ever is appointed to control it should do whatever the hell they want, regardless of what the fanbase holds dear"?

jlaw-whtvr.gif

You're conflating a ton of things that can't really be conflated. The increasingly toxic nature of the fandom obviously isn't responsible for the series' woes (or, at least, it's certainly not responsible in its entirety), and it's silly to try to connect them like that when I wasn't so much as trying.

And yeah, claiming ownership of a thing you don't own and trying to control it isn't healthy. If you feel like it's simply Not Halo in some grand sense, it's time to move on. I know I keep saying that, but it's true. Some of the posters around moved from "criticize the thing we like to make it better" into "explain why the thing we hate sucks" a while ago. Textbook toxic fandom.

Insert dismissive.gif of your choosing here 'cause on mobile.

Poodlestrike, I don't recall you being so consistently antagonistic in the past lol.

What can I say, it's an antagonistic climate nowadays. I used up my fucks on other things.

Trup1aya

You're conflating a ton of things that can't really be conflated. The increasingly toxic nature of the fandom obviously isn't responsible for the series' woes (or, at least, it's certainly not responsible in its entirety), and it's silly to try to connect them like that when I wasn't so much as trying.

And yeah, claiming ownership of a thing you don't own and trying to control it isn't healthy. If you feel like it's simply Not Halo in some grand sense, it's time to move on. I know I keep saying that, but it's true. Some of the posters around here (yourself included, if I'm being totally honest) moved from "criticize the thing we like to make it better" into "explain why the thing we hate sucks" a while ago. Textbook toxic fandom.

Insert dismissive.gif of your choosing here 'cause on mobile.

What can I say, it's an antagonistic climate nowadays. I used up my fucks on other things.

What were you trying to do then?

No I didn't claim ownership. Obviously the IP belongs to Microsoft.

I said fans feel a sense of ownership - which is a perfectly natural aspect of fandom. Playing to those senses is paramount to maintaining a fanbase. This is why you hear artists from any industry saying things like "this is for my fans".

The game's age is approaching two years. The developer is undoubtedly working on the follow-up and trying to decide whats needed for the future of the franchise. I'd say now's the perfect time to discuss what we don't like and why. If you can read my posts and think I want anything other than for halo games to be better, then you have issues with reading comprehension.

Its crazy that I'm toxic, yet you're suggesting that strong fans with strong opinions should "move on". That would ensure a healthy population for years to come.

What were you trying to do then?

No I didn't claim ownership. Obviously the IP belongs to Microsoft.

I said fans feel a "sense of ownership" - which is a perfectly natural aspect of fandom. Playing to those senses is paramount to maintaining a fanbase. This is why you hear artists from any industry saying things like "this is for my fans".

The game's age is approaching two years. The developer is undoubtedly working on the follow-up and trying to decide whats needed for the future of the franchise. I'd say now's the perfect time to discuss what we don't like and why. If you can read my posts and think I want anything other than for halo games to be better, then you have issues with reading comprehension.

Its crazy that I'm toxic, yet you're suggesting that strong fans with strong opinions should "move on". That would ensure a healthy population for years to come.
I'm suggesting fans with strong options that can be summed up by "everything sucks and so do the people who make it" need to take a step back and ask themselves if they really want to keep being fans when their only contribution to discussion is "wow this sucks" over and over again.

I took your name out of the post because you're right that it wasn't fair to you, specifically. As to why I called out "sense of ownership," it's because it's absurd and continues to be an absurd notion that this fans have any ownership at all over someone else's product and production, and it DOES lead to toxic behavior.

I'm suggesting fans with strong options that can be summed up by "everything sucks and so do the people who make it" need to take a step back and ask themselves if they really want to keep being fans when their only contribution to discussion is "wow this sucks" over and over again.

I took your name out of the post because you're right that it wasn't fair to you, specifically. As to why I called out "sense of ownership," it's because it's absurd and continues to be an absurd notion that this fans have any ownership at all over someone else's product and production, and it DOES lead to toxic behavior.

Oh please. We have the right to criticize the game especially after seeing the dev fumble on multiple occasions ever since they took the franchise over. Im not gonna be rosy when MCC is busted and given up on, im not gonna be rosy when Halo4 mp plays nothing like Halo has ever played before, im not gonna be rosy when they implement a Reach MP to make up for a lack of an actual MP in Halo CEA etc.

I understand the the constant critics isn't pleasant to read, but you know what else is isnt pleasant? Playing a halo game that misses the mark in some way at every single new release.

Id love to be rosy about everything, but what their passed history with the franchise has shown me is that when the next game comes out, theyll have to end up apologizing for something else. I hope im wrong.

Saying a fan feels a sense of ownership is just a pithy way of saying they spent a ton of hours with a purchase which naturally grew a passionate expectation of consistency with the product and future products of the same ilk. "Halo's MY game!" is a common phrase which expresses that. Semantics.

Associating criticism as a form of toxicity is ridiculous.

And just because it's an "antagonistic climate" nowadays doesn't mean we should just conform to it.

He's not the antagonist. He's the hero halo doesnt deserve, but he's the one it needs right now.

In other news, scorpio has was going to launch with 8GBs of ram for games and 4GBs for system functions-

They must have been optimizing system resources, because They've now pushed it to 9GBs for games!!!

yeo8wZ1_d.webp

Their engineers are killing it right now. Gimme my h5 Scorpio patch!
HOLY SHIIIIT! I KNEW THEY WOULD PULL SOMETHING LIKE THIS!!!!!! YESSSSS

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have no problem with criticism, however some people are straight up assholes, but that's just internet culture. Looking at twitch stream or at a 343 employee twitter feed I just shake my head.

After putting in time with the aiming patch, it definitely helped. But going back to MCC shows Halo 5s aiming is no where near good.

Please for gods sake @stinkles @343 please dont fuck up the aiming for Halo 6, dont change shit thats not broken. Make it like Halo 4 and H2A.

Trup1aya

Disagree. I think the serving the fans sense of ownership has been a vital part of halo's growth as a franchise. Examples:

The campaigns purposely left MCs personality open to interpretation so that players could create that aspect of the narrative themselves. From that point on, Bungie intentionally or not made it feel like the game is as much the the fan's as it is the developees

Halo's 2's multiplayer was designed to emulate the grass roots LAN scene that spawned from HCEs community. Then you start to see playlists that spawned directly from community creations.

When you look at things like the progression of infection from honor-code custom game or offical hardcore/mlg playlists- using settings dictated by the community, you can see just how important it was to make the game FOR the fans, the sense of ownership is a byproduct of that effort.

Realizing that players wanted even more agency over their experience, H3 put the players creations at the forefront the experience with forge and theater giving players an unprecedented ability to make the experience their own. And from this the game grew astronomically.

So no, players don't have any ACTUAL owmership. But i think the sense of ownership is a byproduct of how the franchise was developed historically and a factor in its success. I think playing to those senses would be good for the game.

wwm0nkey

After putting in time with the aiming patch, it definitely helped. But going back to MCC shows Halo 5s aiming is no where near good.

Please for gods sake @stinkles @343 please dont fuck up the aiming for Halo 6, dont change shit thats not broken. Make it like Halo 4 and H2A.
H2A MP needed more time to shine. One of the best Halo MPs gameplay wise some it fixed some of Halo 2s biggest issues but quickly died for to MCC being bugged :c

Fuchsdh

H2A MP never more time to shine. One of the best Halo MPs gameplay wise some it fixed some of Halo 2s biggest issues but quickly died for to MCC being bugged :c

It also didn't have that many maps and H2A Forge is this kind of weird abomination. Like it's basically what everyone hoped halo 4's Forge would be but the textures are really weird and Halo 5 blew it out of the water.

BizzyBum

If Halo 5 has a Scorpio patch what could we expect?

Native 4K support? HDR? Improved textures?
BTB pistol starts?

Trup1aya

For those looking for sensitivities its 4,2,0,7 is picking up a lot of support.

Word on the street is that it feels like what 4 would feel like in previous games. The 7% outer deadline is key, apparently.

I haven't tried it yet myself, since I'm in the process of moving, so if anyone takes a crack at it, let me know is know what you think.

Edit: also Cratos got dropped from his team last night... don't think I saw it mentioned here at all...

Edit 2: "fake" gravemind rumors got me wishing 343 would commission a game in the vein of Mona Lisa. What an amazing piece of extended lore.

🐌

I don't know how you can play with such a low sensitivity.

The high acceleration is key. It allows me high precision at normal battle ranges, but kicks in when I slam the stick to allow me to spin quickly enough.

I've always been of the opinion that I'd rather be at a slight disadvantage when spinning around because good positioning and precise shooting is more important...especially now that it's so much easier to get out harms way =p

You're kidding, but if you get me a game where you play as Johnson when he has to escape from the Flood during Halo CE, I'm totally in and will buy all the DLCs.

This isn't sergeant johnson. It's Sentinel Johnson. He survived falling through the Ark when a rogue Sentinel saved his laugh and turned him half Sentinel, Half Johnson. Now he livs to fight the Flood.

I wouldn't want a game by Creative Assembly, they suck. Good thing it's fake.

Edit I was thinking Certain Affinity, never mind. 😂

jg4xchamp

So I been binging a lot of Halo 5 since my xbox live expires soon and I primarily play on PC. Figured fuck it, let me binge a good session of Breakout. Fun mode, but are people fans of the change to Breakout?

I'm not too annoyed about it having a shield, but a shotgun? Not that there aren't cool reversal opportunities, but it still feels like a bit much for the shotgun to be the starting weapon.

Otherwise still a good mode, and it's forged up maps I think genuinely look pleasant because that canvas itself is a pleasing color.

Top Bottom