• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

...We'd be having a much more cheerful conversation right now.
I wonder how much of a say Ryan had with all the things they pushed in Halo 4. Was he the one that made the final decision? What he wanted to do with Halo 4 was crazy. In that article he even says that he had some even crazier ideas that got shot down.

EDIT: I need to go check my sensitivity settings. Been so long I don't remember what they were at except that maxing aim acceleration felt really good. I don't want the game deciding how quickly i want to target something. Aiming felt laggy otherwise.

OK now I'm pissed.
The 1 game mode I truly love is ruined... Without the old super fiesta I don't have the irresistible urge to play H5 on an almost daily basis.

343 thought it would be a good idea to change the maps to shithouse Halo 1 forge maps.
I played battle creek, damnation and rat race and all 3 just sucked.

I'm pretty upset right now, I don't know what to play... I feel like sticking to rocket league from now on.

For the first time since Halo Reach I can honestly say I hate forge.

No but seriously why can't H5 do some Gears compression update themselves to get some of that size down.

I never understood the size of 343i's game. Even Halo Wars 2 has ridiculous sized updates and that's a RTS. I don't think they realize how much of a turn off it is. Someone who just got the game or decides to download it again is greeted by fucking 90GBs download. Like wtf? Your game doesn't have that much content. Not even GTAV is that fucking big.

I never understood the size of 343i’s game. Even Halo Wars 2 has ridiculous sized updates and that’s a RTS. I don’t think they realize how much of a turn off it is. Someone who just got the game or decides to download it again is greeted by fucking 90GBs download. Like wtf? Your game doesn’t have that much content. Not even GTAV is that fucking big.
Maybe there is a game within a game just waiting to be discovered, like a hidden easter egg :O

Ade

OK now I'm pissed.
The 1 game mode I truly love is ruined... Without the old super fiesta I don't have the irresistible urge to play H5 on an almost daily basis.

343 thought it would be a good idea to change the maps to shithouse Halo 1 forge maps.

I'm pretty upset right now, I don't know what to play... I feel like sticking to rocket league from now on.

Same, I probably play 3/4 SF matches a day and I hate those throwback maps.

OK now I'm pissed.

I like the effort the forge team has made on the feature. The problem is, the game is packed with forge and most forge maps have a look to them. IMO, it makes the game look bad and it looks even worse when so many mode are filled with them. Filling everything with forge doesnt do the game any favors.

NOKYARD

I like the effort the forge team has made on the feature. The problem is, the game is packed with forge and most forge maps have a look to them. IMO, it makes the game look bad and it looks even worse when so many mode are filled with them. Filling everything with forge doesnt do the game any favors.

We are trying push the boundaries of forge to new levels in an attempt to change that perception for the Classic playlist. Hopefully it pays off.

Trup1aya

We are trying push the boundaries of forge to new levels in an attempt to change that perception for the Classic playlist. Hopefully it pays off.

You all have my Full confidence.

I think the main issue people have with forge in H5 is that it's being used to supplement content that is missing, rather than to compliment a solid offering. Forge and the community that use it has been awesome.

NOKYARD

I think the main issue people have with forge in H5 is that it's being used to supplement content that is missing, rather than to compliment a solid offering. Forge and the community that use it has been awesome.

This playlist is becoming a real community effort. There is no shortage of players and forgers with great passion for Halo 3. Every map is being scrutinized by myself, 343i, and several other remake forgers. We have an art team, a scripting team, a frame rate counter, access to ForgeHub's (almost) daily testing lobbies, and 343i's test lab. Maps are starting to show up in streams and on YouTube channels.

RdN

This is depressing. I hope Halo can be great again
Xbox-Gauge-New-3.001new.jpg

Damn, that hurts to see.

I think for it to really pay off, the forge stuff needs to look like professionally created maps by 343. I know it's a lot to ask for with them being community created but that's the truth. Some are very good, others are just so visually bland. When I play games, one the things that excites me the most is the map I'm gonna play on. Like for example, in BF1, everytime Amiens shows up next I get a rush of energy and I genuinely get excited. That map is incredible and it pumps me up.

If the maps don't get people excited, the MP will suffer. That's why good developed maps is crucial not only gameplay wise but visually as well

I think for it to really pay off, the forge stuff needs to look like professionally created maps by 343. I know it's a lot to ask for with them being community created but that's the truth. Some are very good, others are just so visually bland. When I play games, one the things that excites me the most is the map I'm gonna play on. Like for example, in BF1, everytime Amiens shows up next I get a rush of energy and I genuinely get excited. That map is incredible and it pumps me up.

If the maps don't get people excited, the MP will suffer. That's why good developed maps is crucial not only gameplay wise but visually as well

You're not wrong. The art and look of a map is extremely important. A lot of classic maps had an exotic, yet grounded look to them. A lot of the new maps are missing that sense of adventure and interest.

I think the H3 maps will be helped in this regard just by the sheer variety of their locales.

You're not wrong. The art and look of a map is extremely important. A lot of classic maps had an exotic, yet grounded look to them. A lot of the new maps are missing that sense of adventure and interest.

I think the H3 maps will be helped in this regard just by the sheer variety of their locales.

Yeah, proven maps are a "cant miss".

Trup1aya

This playlist is becoming a real community effort. There is no shortage of players and forgers with great passion for Halo 3. Every map is being scrutinized by myself, 343i, and several other remake forgers. We have an art team, a scripting team, a frame rate counter, access to ForgeHub's (almost) daily testing lobbies, and 343i's test lab. Maps are starting to show up in streams and on YouTube channels.

This sounds truly amazing. I haven't played much since getting Achilles, and probably won't for a while, but this sounds like it'll being me back.

Until you realize we may be including Isolation, and other fan favourites.

lol well i had fun on it in 3. But we played it mostly for smaller FFA and it was fun. That map with one territory that moves (FFA) was fun. But i dont think 1 territory that moves can be done in 5.

What kind of constructive feedback one can make about the MCC actually?

It has multiple games in it.

but seriously, if you play only SP its fine. Thats all i do. I dont do any coop or MP cause i know ill have issues. Just looking for games takes me 10 minutes

E92 M3

Not really, if the only thing you have to post is the same crap over and over again with no constructive feedback then your just shit posting.

You think we haven't spent years trying to explain to 343 how many elements of their game were wrong? They JUST removed OP autos and changed the radar for competitive Halo. It took them years.

You can have your positive opinion and I can have my negative opinion, but as someone that wasted $60 on MCC and H5, I have earned the right to bitch.

NOKYARD

lol well i had fun on it in 3. But we played it mostly for smaller FFA and it was fun. That map with one territory that moves (FFA) was fun. But i dont think 1 territory that moves can be done in 5.

I don't know about territories, but we will likely be shipping proper KotH and 1 sided variants on appropriate maps as well.

FyreWulff

I preferred H2 Territories. H3's was kinda a snore. H2's at least kept everyone churning around the map.

I might be biased because I loved the fact that H2 Tombstone was the first/only console map to ship 8 territories, so I made a gametype with all 8 activated, max score to win (15 or 20 minutes?) but with fast capping so it actually didn't take that long, but required you to move around the map and cap as many territories as possible to multiply your cap time. It was also played multi-team style with as many teams as you could make for the lobby.

Forge is amazing and there are some fantastic maps and game types, but filling fiesta with Halo CE maps is plain stupid... The maps don't work in fiesta, I'm simply hating on forge for making it possible.

Halo CE maps suck.

I feel this is a big part of it as well.

Until you realize we may be including Isolation, and other fan favourites.
For what it's worth, I think there have been a lot of impressive Forge maps, including the CE Anniversary ones. Some fine touches are needed like fixing the ledges on the Battle Creek bases to clamber up, but overall a solid execution.

And Isolation can be a fun map, but it's trapped in Halo 3's sandbox. I'm a believer of maps originally thought to be bad not necessarily being bad, rather the gameplay leaving a lot to be desired. For example, Isolation with Halo 5's weapons could be fun, but with H3's netcode and the spread of the H3 BR, it was less than ideal.
How badly does everyone want that Halo: Gravemind thing to be real, despite the denials by just about everyone at 343?
I've been wanting a horror Halo game since Dead Space and that Halo Evolutions short story: The Mona Lisa.

Top Bottom