• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

I just got as a gift the AR from Boomco with a Custom Fire Unicorn Skin Paintjob :')

YMqeKal.jpg

Today I received from one of my most loyals subscribers carlosalvarez the Boomco AR but with a custom paintjob of the Fire Unicorn skin

He did all of this by himself and with help of one of his friends, they did it using airbrushing

Everything was repainted I love the quality of the paintjob

He even sent me a letter :D, Translation: Hello ATOMICJORGE good day we send you this present as a way to thank you for your effort and dedication in your work by making content for our entertainment such as: your videos news and live streams, we know it's not easy and that everyday that happens on your channels your community grows which means that your sacrifice and professionalism needs to be bigger

You have proven us that you are a very capable person being an example to follow for many of us that see you today on the internet or even sometimes the ones that are lucky to meet you in person

Keep up your determination on life and never give up even if the situation it's tough take care and see you on your channels and luckily on person

SIGNS: "La Pandilla Atomica" (The Atomic Gang)

I'm very happy and honored to receive this gift from one of my subscribers, he did an amazing :')

Juan

I didn't know you had a youtube channel Jorge, it's nice to see such a cool gift from a subscriber. :)

Do you make your videos in english or in spanish?

Maybe the Halo gaming side topics where there's drive by insults that provide no constructive criticism. Here at least most of the critiques have some substance to them.

I don't see a lot of topics on the gaming side about Halo, but sure it might not be a peaceful place.

What I mean is that, even with constructive critiques, as a developer, it might be hard to (most of the time) always see complains about every decision (or lack of decision) you made. It is understandable, and I'm the first to criticize 343, so I'm not blaming anyone with this comment, it's just I don't see a lot of compassion to 343 and for any Halo devs that come here, it might be really hard to feel good working on the Halo franchise.

I didn't know you had a youtube channel Jorge, it's nice to see such a cool gift from a subscriber. :)

Do you make your videos in english or in spanish?

Yes I have been making content in the past 7 years since 2010, the vast majority of them are on Spanish but here is the main reason to why 343 gave me the fire skin in game don't worry it's on english and indeed is such a cool gesture from him ;) https://youtu.be/cEzUXDOKy20

Juan

Yes I have been making content in the past 7 years since 2010, the vast majority of them are on Spanish but here is the main reason to why 343 gave me the fire skin in game don't worry it's on english and indeed is such a cool gesture from him ;) https://youtu.be/cEzUXDOKy20

Oh no don't worry haha, I'm spanish as well (should say half-french and half-spanish)! I was looking for some Halo content in Spanish actually because I couldn't practice for a while and I found the best way to improve my lack of practice was to listen some Spanish on a topic I could relate, so I will give it a look, thanks. :)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
What's the deal with the millennial esports "behind the sticks" halo 5 today (this weekend?)? Saw like a 22 game series of envyus vs oxygen supremacy, but that's it. We this just for fun? Exhibition match sort of thing? More to come?

Trup1aya

What's the deal with the millennial esports "behind the sticks" halo 5 today (this weekend?)? Saw like a 22 game series of envyus vs oxygen supremacy, but that's it. We this just for fun? Exhibition match sort of thing? More to come?

It's a boot camp between NV and OS only.

I think they are playing a total of 52 games or something like that, and they are also doing fun stuff like putt putt golf and indoor skydiving

op_ivy

It's a boot camp between NV and OS only.

I think they are playing a total of 52 games or something like that, and they are also doing fun stuff like putt putt golf and indoor skydiving

That's awesome. Tom and towey sounded like they were having fun casting the last two matches of the day I saw. I'll try to watch the rest tonight.

Trup1aya

That's awesome. Tom and towey sounded like they were having fun casting the last two matches of the day I saw. I'll try to watch the rest tonight.

Yeah it's great content - the kind of stuff HCS could use in between events. I wonder why 343 doesn't tweet it out

It must be so depressing to be a 343 employee, come around and read a Halo topic.

i hope not, h5 da god f'real.

#luvsya343

butdobetter

I just got as a gift the AR from Boomco with a Custom Fire Unicorn Skin Paintjob :')
snip

I'm very happy and honored to receive this gift from one of my subscribers, he did an amazing :')

jeebus, this is incredible - make me wanna go buy toys.

smaller full-size pics plz

I hope it has a classic art style, while retaining the mechanics of Halo 5 minus sprint and smart scope.

while i do feel like pre-sprint halo is too fast [although i hate the way sprint functions in h4], i would be curious to see if they could pull off sprint-less sized map design, and still maintain that slightly faster feeling gameplay of h5.

Trup1aya

while i do feel like pre-sprint halo is too fast [although i hate the way sprint functions in h4], i would be curious to see if they could pull off sprint-less sized map design, and still maintain that slightly faster feeling gameplay of h5.

Keeping thrust would keep the game from speeding up to CE pacing removing grenade hit markers. Would help as well.

Keeping thrust would keep the game from speeding up to CE pacing removing grenade hit markers. Would help as well.

good points, would be interesting to try something like this out.

is that possible at all with forge?

[i've never opened forge except on PC to play smooth-controlling customs]

Trup1aya

good points, would be interesting to try something like this out.

is that possible at all with forge?

[i've never opened forge except on PC to play smooth-controlling customs]

Yeah, you can turn pretty much everything on/off except the grenade hit markers. And you can adjust player speed and jump heights.

I have no doubt we'll see BTB make a proper return in Halo 6. I really hope it has an Avalanche/Sidewinder remake over the Blood Gulch/Valhalla line. Those linear box canons have been done to death and they have cross mapping problems that are mitigated by Sidewinder's U shape. Plus snow maps in Halo always look great.

jelly

I hope BTB comes back like that but I feel REQs have been so successfull they'll focus on expanding Warzone or whatever they happen to call it by then. Focusing on non REQ stuff is money left on the table unfortunately unless they expand REQs to other modes for cosmetics only and nothing Warzone like but they would still want players in the maximum REQ source area of Warzone. I just want some care and attention to detail, fun, good design put into maps again like BTB but I fear it will be third tier or no tier at all.

op_ivy

All of a sudden I'm getting bouts where when I'm fully turning the rotation is incredibly slow, like half speed maybe. Is this heavy aim and if so, why am I only now getting it (after it's been "removed")? Note, I have kind of gone through a sensisensitivity crisis lately, I believe I'm at 1, 3, 3 now, could this be to blame? Again though, it's very infrequent and as far as I'm aware unpredictable.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
All of a sudden I'm getting bouts where when I'm fully turning the rotation is incredibly slow, like half speed maybe. Is this heavy aim and if so, why am I only now getting it (after it's been "removed")? Note, I have kind of gone through a sensisensitivity crisis lately, I believe I'm at 1, 3, 3 now, could this be to blame? Again though, it's very infrequent and as far as I'm aware unpredictable.

Feel like my aim got worse since the fix. Starting switching my sense as well which ain't helping. Need to just pick one and stick with it.

I can't wait to see what a third major Halo game from 343 looks/feels like.

At this point, prolly something like this:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/MyExWlFE/video/33522880

Depressing for their employees or not, there's always some (usually painfully obvious) valid criticism to throw out there. If it's not decisions, it's art style. If not art style, it's connection issues for *literally* years at this point. Then matchmaking does "work", like in the video above, and you join in progress to a game that is literally finished already.

I fucking love Halo, but to be honest, I miss the days where shitty randoms or the occasional poor p2p connection were what would irritate me when I play, instead of the basic functionality of the game itself. Matchmaking hasn't been this regularly annoying since we had to dodge modders in H2. Right after this "match", I had the console lose connection to the game server and wasted a Legendary WZRP boost (without losing my Live connection or other internet things having any issues). Good times.

I still think the "keeping up with the trends" slide was one of the most disappointing things I've seen from 343i and I've played their campaigns.

op_ivy

I still think the "keeping up with the trends" slide was one of the most disappointing things I've seen from 343i and I've played their campaigns.

If that was "one of the most disappointing things" is this THE most disappointing thing?

iPmBBpW_d.jpg

Wait, that was an actual slide 343 used for a presentation?

Looks like a meme from reddit.

Yeah, they got a lot of shit over it too.

Pretty sure this is the presentation iirc:
http://gdcvault.com/play/1017760/Halo-Reborn-A-Postmortem-on

This is from back in the day when 343 actually did postmortems instead of implying they're going to do them and then never do it.

EDIT:
Youtube link instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDaOAXaaqdg
image at like 35 minute mark.

BizzyBum

Haha, holy shit...

I'm still in awe how bad Halo 4 was. How 343 actually thought that was an acceptable Halo game in terms of multiplayer I'll never know. They have not and will not ever recover from it. It will be interesting to see what happens once the dust settles with Halo 6. Are they going to continue making Halo games? Will Microsoft find a new studio? Reboot or have the franchise lie dormant for a few years?

Haha, holy shit...

I'm still in awe how bad Halo 4 was. How 343 actually thought that was an acceptable Halo game in terms of multiplayer I'll never know. They have not and will not ever recover from it. It will be interesting to see what happens once the dust settles with Halo 6. Are they going to continue making Halo games? Will Microsoft find a new studio? Reboot or have the franchise lie dormant for a few years?
Since im predicting/praying that Halo 6 flops sales wise, Phil will do a clearing of 343 or assemble a new studio

jem0208

Lol at this idea that Halo 6 will be the downfall of 343 and they'll close etc.

It'll sell 5+ million, tons of of Halo "purists" will hate it and keep calling 343 the worst thing ever despite it being a pretty decent game and everything will be pretty damn normal.

Quote me on it.

I've had something like that before and it was a controller issue. Try a different one and see if it still happens.

Unstable

Lol at this idea that Halo 6 will be the downfall of 343 and they'll close etc.

It'll sell 5+ million, tons of of Halo "purists" will hate it and keep calling 343 the worst thing ever despite it being a pretty decent game and everything will be pretty damn normal.

Quote me on it..

Sure.

Granted, this is perhaps the safest prediction anyone has ever made. Ever.

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that Halo 6 will be the first mainline Halo game to launch day-&-date on both Xbox and PC. Meaning, a order of magnitude increase in the amount of gamers that Halo 6 could reach. Some, of those will be fans of the series. Most will not.

The volume of "Halo Purists" will reduce as a result.

The thing about Halo purists is that nobody (other than CE diehards I guess, and even then...) can seem to agree what "pure Halo" looks like other than "not the new thing!"

Dropping the percentage of the fanbase they make up is probably good.

Trup1aya

The thing about Halo purists is that nobody (other than CE diehards I guess, and even then...) can seem to agree what "pure Halo" looks like other than "not the new thing!"

Dropping the percentage of the fanbase they make up is probably good.

They shouldn't be "dropping" any percentange of the fanbase.

They need to gain an understanding of why the franchise is resonating less and less with old fans AND also failing to resonate with new fans (in comparison to previous entries).

They should be looking to retain their fanbase and change the series trajectory - "the new thing" hasn't done that. It doesn't take a purist to see what's happening.

Akai__

Has that ever actually been confirmed confirmed, as opposed to theorised based on play anywhere wording?

It's still a rumor based on Frankie's quote below:

4. Halo Wars 2 was built from the ground up for PC and console and, without committing to anything else in this thread, is a better example of what to expect from 343 and PC support in the future.

They shouldn't be "dropping" any percentange of the fanbase.

They need to gain an understanding of why the franchise is resonating less and less with old fans AND also failing to resonate with new fans (in comparison to previous entries).

They should be looking to retain their fanbase and change the series trajectory - "the new thing" hasn't done that. It doesn't take a purist to see what's happening.
M8 increasing the number of people in the fanbase as a whole while keeping the number of purists constant will drop the percentage of fans that are purists by definition.

And the problem with understanding why the fanbase isn't resonating with old fans is that if you ask 5 different old fans you'll get at least 7 different and often exclusionary answers.

Trup1aya

M8 increasing the number of people in the fanbase as a whole while keeping the number of purists constant will drop the percentage of fans that are purists by definition.

And the problem with understanding why the fanbase isn't resonating with old fans is that if you ask 5 different old fans you'll get at least 7 different and often exclusionary answers.

Why keep the number of purist constant? Why not make old fans of halo interested in Halo again?

1) Regaining old fans turned off by new entries would grow the number of people in the fanbase and grow the percentage of "purists"
2) if people who haven't played a "pure" halo, end up liking a new game with old sensibilities , wouldn't they be purist too?
3)efforts to grow the fanbase via drastic sandbox changes has been met with disinterest from old and potential new players alike.

Sure different people, old and new alike, have different reasons for not liking new halo games. Im sure 343 has been trying to collect that data. The answers are there somewhere. It's a complicated matter of asking the right questions, and interpreting the answers correctly. When I look at 4 and 5, and learn behind the scenes details about the development of these games, I wonder if the right questions are being asked.

I just cant wait to see the marketing for Halo 6. It's always a wonderful time when marketing for Halo starts. If they continue the trend of how they did it for Halo Wars 2, im game. I'll say it again, Hunt The Truth is the only audio story i have ever listened to and i REALLY enjoyed it.

Trup1aya

I just cant wait to see the marketing for Halo 6. It's always a wonderful time when marketing for Halo starts. If they continue the trend of how they did it for Halo Wars 2, im game. I'll say it again, Hunt The Truth is the only audio story i have ever listened to and i REALLY enjoyed it.

HTT was INSANE. That group need to be involved in everything going forward.

Thanks to HTT, I went and bought every Halo audio book.

I didn't follow Hw2 marketing much. What was the trend they started with that.

Unstable

Has that ever actually been confirmed confirmed, as opposed to theorised based on play anywhere wording?
Well, they haven't announced a "Halo 6" yet. So, to answer your question. No, it is not confirmed. Although, considering Microsoft did exactly this with Gears of War; Their third most valuable IP
Their second most valuable? Forza. Also, released on PC.
So, why not their most valuable IP? They've already ported Halo 5's engine to PC, via Forge. Heck, Forge receives the same updates that Halo 5 proper gets. On the same day.

It's still a rumor based on Frankie's quote below:
Actually, Phil Spencer spoke about it directly.,

Halo 6 will release on Windows 10

"Speaking to PC Gamer yesterday, Spencer said he's "not about putting content only on console to manipulate Windows gamers to go buy an Xbox."

"The reason somebody wants to go buy an Xbox—or I'll just say a game console, yes I'd love if they bought an Xbox—is they want to sit 10 feet from their television screen with a controller in their lap looking at a television playing a videogame," said Spencer. "It's a different experience from playing on PC. I'm not saying it's better or worse, it's just different. Halo 5 absolutely could be played on a PC. There's nothing about that gameplay mechanic that doesn't work.""

So why no Halo 5 on PC? Spencer says that Microsoft and 343 Industries are looking to the future. "Honestly the answer with Halo 5 is, I can go take last year's game, rework it to go on PC, or I can have 343 look forward in what they're going to go do," said Spencer. "You could say I'm cheating a little bit by doing a half thing with putting Forge on PC, because we kind of have the tools working on PC to see what happens, but this is what we did with Forza, with Apex. I said, 'This isn't a full Forza game. Going forward, we're going to bring our Forza games to PC complete.'"

Replace 'Forza' with 'Halo' and you have your answer.

That's about as much of a confirmation as you're gonna get, at this juncture.

Top Bottom