• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Ramirez

To me it's pretty simple if 343 wants to appease most fans. Keep nothing. Back to basics with Halo 6 in where it plays like the original trilogy. That's literally all they have to do. Hire some new people to design their maps is a bonus.

As someone who enjoyed Halo 5 MP more than any other entry, I don't agree with this sentiment at all.

As someone who enjoyed Halo 5 MP more than any other entry, I don't agree with this sentiment at all.

Problem is everyone likes to speak in binaries, old Halo fans vs. new Halo fans, but I bet the majority fall somewhere in between. I certainly do, I love the gunplay from 5, thruster and ground pound are pure fun. I also miss the pace and the simplicity of the old games. I appreciate 343 is in a hard place trying to appease everyone, but I think removing sprint along with the few abilities tied to it would simplify the game in a good way. Reverting back to the old art style would also please a lot of people including myself.

I'm not sure I follow here... How does the H5's sandbox have more reach than any of the previous halos. I'm just thinking of all the things created (by the devs and the community) and all the niche audiences served back in the H3 and Reach era that are missing now, so I don't see how changing the chore mechanics bolstered that quality.

I wasn't referring to the quantity of gametypes but stating how the base gameplay changes are universal in H5 e.g. action sack vs HCS vs BTB vs WZ and they're all the same base mechanics/movement/sandbox. If you look at H3 the MLG playlist vs default slayer was a wide gap in terms of radar, movement speed, no equipment and almost a hidden learning curve for new players. That's a barrier across Halo audiences that 343 resolved very well for the most part with H5, better than Bungie.

Interesting concept for sure. I definately believe in letting the community get a bit more say in what ships Helps all parties.

Yep, we've seen it so many mods and community driven content, just take their work or invite them to the studio and then give maps or gametypes or scripts developer love and attention. It's not rocket science TBH, drop the ideal that only studio developers and designers have the utmost abilities. Great ideas or executions come from anyone anytime.

I don't think that's what he's saying. Because equipment were all pickups and not base abilities, the "damage" done by designing around them is limited to the specific map rather than the entire game. Furthermore, they/players could easily remove them from maps where they didn't work, and replace them with items that worked better.

I can't agree, look at something like high ground OBJ with light vehicles and equipment, clearly we've seen Bungie ViDocs about auto-turrets cut or equipment to stop flag run-away plays where it rolled down the hill etc. Now factor in H3 MLG and all that "map design and interactivity" such as the base gate are just gone. Most maps designed for the default or objective audience never even see play time in hardcore playlists. Why not one eSports event with 1/2 flag 4v4 light vehicles like COAG or Valhalla etc? Christ I watch that over anything HCS or MLG. So would more than a dozen of my old Halo crew who never like(d) MLG or HCS in the last decade.

I'm not sure I follow you here. Care to elaborate on the idea that the current sandbox "raised the bar" across all audiences and gametypes?

Same as the first response above.

While I still think it's a cool idea, I'm strongly against having something like that in a Halo game, at least for the matchmaking part. Reach social profile & MM already showed that toggle and filters are cool at launch but get useless after a few weeks. And this was only for players, so having this for maps & gametypes would be awful...

Titanfall (1 & 2) tried something very similar, and it failed.

Custom Game Browser is here for this and I hope it will be improved for the next Halo game.

Nice to have a reference but I don't recall these types of select a map and gametype specifically in TF. I do prefer TF's minimal playlists or COD's ability to have a pure objective playlist constantly, something Halo has dropped in H4/H5/MCC, much to my hatred.

As for another example the BF series on PC has player toggles and they work great IMO. Having minimums and automatic population levels/reactions for filters would alleviate much of the past semi-successes with these more dynamic matchmaking systems.

As for CGB it's too niche IMO, always has been. It's very hit an miss for party/skill matching, exploits, incomplete maps or gametypes and not developer made maps a large amount of the time. Matchmaking is a great system it's needs an overhaul to enable balance player choices against developer curation and sustain.

Problem is everyone likes to speak in binaries, old Halo fans vs. new Halo fans, but I bet the majority fall somewhere in between. I certainly do, I love the gunplay from 5, thruster and ground pound are pure fun. I also miss the pace and the simplicity of the old games. I appreciate 343 is in a hard place trying to appease everyone, but I think removing sprint along with the few abilities tied to it would simplify the game in a good way. Reverting back to the old art style would also please a lot of people including myself.

I agree with the everyone liking elements for various games, there's a lot of diversity to Halo. However I feel so much of that hinges on great maps and gametypes. If you have maps like H2/H3 days with H5's sandbox and movement delivered within a robust quality assured game and networking for most regions it's a winner across the board for me. I just hope 343 keep the existing engine, art, sounds etc and really focus on maps and gametypes with H6, the whole multiplayer experience depends on those elements. I say this because I feel 343 have 95% nailed down so many other elements finally with H5 e.g. movement, gunplay, weapon balance, you know the 30 seconds combat loop.

I agree with the everyone liking elements for various games, there's a lot of diversity to Halo. However I feel so much of that hinges on great maps and gametypes. If you have maps like H2/H3 days with H5's sandbox and movement delivered within a robust quality assured game and networking for most regions it's a winner across the board for me. I just hope 343 keep the existing engine, art, sounds etc and really focus on maps and gametypes with H6, the whole multiplayer experience depends on those elements. I say this because I feel 343 have 95% nailed down so many other elements finally with H5 e.g. movement, gunplay, weapon balance, you know the 30 seconds combat loop.

I agree with this. Halo 5 is my favourite multiplayer Halo in many ways but the maps are average and it took way too long to get to its current (very enjoyable, at least in a densely populated region like the UK) state. For Halo 6 I'd mostly like to see more of the same, with as much of the current feature set as possible included at launch.

The most glaring issue with the game though IMHO was designing the campaign around co-op but removing split screen.

Edit: and I hope CGB stays, as hit-and-miss as it can be.

I really like the original maps, the DLC maps have been pretty hit and miss but still enjoyable.
Best maps in the series are in halo 5 IMO, what does everyone think ate the best maps exactly?

Eden, empire, rig, truth, regret, coli, etc
All good baby!

Rtas

Personally I still struggle to see the hate for sprint. If you even look at it just from a lore standpoint, you're a supersoldier, why on earth wouldn't you be able to sprint?

But in a multiplayer standpoint I don't see the big issue, I play a lot of swat so I personally don't use sprint that often other than getting to an area quicker to support a team mate. To me it actually seems like a hindrance as it adds that extra second to ready your gun allowing the enemy to headshot you instantly. The only place I really use sprint constantly is campaign or warzone and thats just because of the scale of the maps. I don't see the big issue with it especially considering its been in the game since Reach in some form or another.

Only real issue I have with any of the spartan abilities is the Spartan charge, it feels entirely out of place and its incredibly irritating to have an enemy dead to rights and as you fire the headshot they just charge into you for insta death ( again I play swat almost religiously) It feels tremendously shoehorned in and out of place but then thats just me.

Madness

True, but you also abandoned the game faster than any other Halo. Beyond May of 2016, ie. 7 months or so of heavy playing you stopped, returning a bit for a few days to try the casual modes in december of 2016 and then not playing again since.

So clearly something is off. Not saying you aren't right. You played more in 2 months than I played in two years, I think even if I played nonstop against I wouldn't come close to your skills, games and matches played, but I mean if it was everything you wanted why stop. I didn't like H5 much but still played over a longer period of time but very casually ie. Swat, Warzone. This is something very tough for 343 to solve. People who liked the game didn't really play it as long, people who hated the game abandoned it quick, people who were so-so about played it longer and from time to time rather than dedicated. I mean a lot of HaloGAF who liked H5 didn't play much.

Edit: I honestly think it was the unfinished nature of the game. If I look back to now versus launch, this was a very barebones release of a Halo game.

PS: ExWife and others got us Achilles helmet a few months back.

Personally I still struggle to see the hate for sprint. If you even look at it just from a lore standpoint, you're a supersoldier, why on earth wouldn't you be able to sprint?

But in a multiplayer standpoint I don't see the big issue, I play a lot of swat so I personally don't use sprint that often other than getting to an area quicker to support a team mate. To me it actually seems like a hindrance as it adds that extra second to ready your gun allowing the enemy to headshot you instantly. The only place I really use sprint constantly is campaign or warzone and thats just because of the scale of the maps. I don't see the big issue with it especially considering its been in the game since Reach in some form or another.

Only real issue I have with any of the spartan abilities is the Spartan charge, it feels entirely out of place and its incredibly irritating to have an enemy dead to rights and as you fire the headshot they just charge into you for insta death ( again I play swat almost religiously) It feels tremendously shoehorned in and out of place but then thats just me.
If your a super soilder, why on earth cant you sprint and shoot a gun?

Juan

Lore clearly shouldn't be took into account when it comes to gameplay.

Especially when a mechanic impacts so much of the flow, game & level design.

From a lore perspective, Spartans shouldn't have Smart Scope since the zoom is tied to their helmet and connected to the weapon, so...

True, but you also abandoned the game faster than any other Halo. Beyond May of 2016, ie. 7 months or so of heavy playing you stopped, returning a bit for a few days to try the casual modes in december of 2016 and then not playing again since.

So clearly something is off.
Bodied.

It doesn't matter what Halo 6 is anyway because we're getting CE Remake/Anniversary 2 with 1:1 multiplayer with some improvements (red X, in-game timer, etc.) and post launch support with new maps, modes, features, etc.

Etc.

I agree. But still I don't honestly see how it disrupts the game flow. Its never impacted my ability to play.
Is it really a matter of you not seeing how or just not agreeing with the significance to which sprint impacts gameplay? Because surely you can see how some dislike sprint because it enables players to quickly move around to engage or run away from fights, how sprint results in larger maps, how sprint plus jumping/thrusting gains massive ground, how it stops you from shooting, etc. right?

Etc.

Maps need to be adjusted to acclimate for players using sprint, meaning maps become too big at times for players who do not want to use it. Also, players can use sprint to escape, so if an enemy player makes a stupid move and you are able to get their shields down, they can use sprint (and thrusters if they need to get behind a corner quickly) to get away, which both robs you of your kill and is too forgiving to the enemy player; this was a huge problem in Reach and 4, however the changes in 5 have made it a tad bit better. And when looking how the weapon sandbox interacts with the movement system, weapons like Energy Swords and Shotguns become too effective, allowing for players to quickly close the distance between you and them. In pre-sprint Halo, you could pace yourself with the approaching enemy and take them out easily, meaning that players would need to play smarter with close-quarters weapons to make effective use out of them.

For SWAT, sprint doesn't make an impact one way or the other because the sandbox is limited to precision weapons, shields are removed, and long-range combat is key, therefore creating a completely different environment than standard modes have. Since SWAT is fast paced and can be incredibly punishing with one shot kills, sprint becomes only an effective tactic for traversal and not escape. The mode can't be used to justify sprint's presence because of how differently it plays from the rest.

Also, from a lore standpoint, Spartans are very quick and strong naturally, making Sprint not really necessary. Of course they can sprint if they put all of their energy into it, but at the same time it's a competitive video game before and not real life. Why can soldiers in Call of Duty regenerate health when shot? Because it works into the gameplay and would be no fun if you had to limp around with a wounded leg because you took a bullet to it. So in Halo's case, the lack of sprint in past Halo games was all for gameplay reasons. Of course, since then sprint has become an industry standard, but that doesn't mean you need to abide by it; just look at Overwatch for example.

Madness

I gave my Xbox One to my kid, don't read that much into it, Madness. lol

No no, not just you. I did realize your son was probably the one using it on Destiny and Overwatch and whatnot. But a lot of people from here who liked the game abruptly stopped. Even if they liked the game, they didn't play much and played others instead. I think you hit SR-145 or something. I still haven't even cracked over SR-100 and haven't played much, if at all.

So there has to be a reason. Was it the barebones launch? Over competitive only focus at cost of casual or social play, just not fun in face of third party other games. Once yoi've played CE to Halo 5, is it franchise fatigue etc.

No no, not just you. I did realize your son was probably the one using it on Destiny and Overwatch and whatnot. But a lot of people from here who liked the game abruptly stopped. Even if they liked the game, they didn't play much and played others instead. I think you hit SR-145 or something. I still haven't even cracked over SR-100 and haven't played much, if at all.

So there has to be a reason. Was it the barebones launch? Over competitive only focus at cost of casual or social play, just not fun in face of third party other games. Once yoi've played CE to Halo 5, is it franchise fatigue etc.

Core features missing and the grind for REQs to stay competitive in Warzone were a pretty big downer imo.

ALSO, I finally caved and bought MCC digital super cheap (comparatively). I miss OG Halo my dudes.

Core features missing and the grind for REQs to stay competitive in Warzone were a pretty big downer imo.

ALSO, I finally caved and bought MCC digital super cheap (comparatively). I miss OG Halo my dudes.

Yeah I reinstalled MCC last week and now it's my go-to Halo game. 2 and 3 are so much better than 5, save the projectile bullets in 3 and it still being broken.

Ramirez

There's just more to play now, even games like Battlefield 1 aren't getting insane retention numbers despite having massive hype behind them.

Plus Overwatch is probably eating everyone's lunch a little bit, game is amazing.

Kalentan

Yeah I reinstalled MCC last week and now it's my go-to Halo game. 2 and 3 are so much better than 5, save the projectile bullets in 3 and it still being broken.

I'm still not sure how anyone go to 3 after playing 2 or 5.

It's so bad.

It's like the developers forgot how to make a good feeling shooter after having just made 2 that felt great.

It's so bad.

It's like the developers forgot how to make a good feeling shooter after having just made 2 that felt great.

I played it as a lot as a kid, so same reason why people can deal with bloom. Also, I love the map design and weapon sandbox in Halo 3. The projectile bullets are so fucking annoying, which is why I wish H2:A was a full game with all maps remade instead. Also fuck the regeneration field.

It fundamentally changed Halo's map design. Which in turn has a big effect on how the game plays. People also dislike having their weapon down, it complicates controls further, it changes the pace of the game so you don't have a chance to breathe after you wipe a team as they're already respawned and moving right back towards you. That's just a few reasons why it's bad.

Then ask yourself, what does it add to the game that's positive?

I've been solo going at MCC over H5 in the last week or two as well. Damn Halo 2 gunplay, movement and its maps are still god-tier Halo. No doubt. Agreed H3 netcode and projectile BR need to die in a fiery death though the maps again are top shelf.

Trup1aya

I agree. But still I don't honestly see how it disrupts the game flow. Its never impacted my ability to play.

It doesnt limit your ability to play. It just restricts your play and map design in ways people don't like.

All maps have to be scaled to sprint speed. Which means 1) all those jumps that you otherwise would have been able to make sideways or backwards, while in the middle of a gunfight, can now only be made while sprinting forwards. 2) having your gun ready means you aren't covering ground at the pace the map is designed for so you are more exposed, so your constantly either compromising your speed or combat readiness 3) it forces devs to alter aim assists/magnetism to compensate for targets that are moving at sprint speed, which makes aiming at normal speed targets too automatic 4) it adds an additional button press just to simply move - adding to the convoluted controls

Simply put, designing around single move speed that doesn't force players to put their guns down, liberates gameplay and map design.

jem0208

Different people have different habits when it comes to games. 5 is my favourite multiplayer shooter probably ever, I've played it more than any other game this generation and i only just cracked SR-100.

That said I genuinely do think that the main reason 5's population dropped so hard was the barebones launch and general lack of variety. Had it launched in its current state i reckon 5 would sitting pretty high up on the most played list.

Trup1aya

I just saw this on Team Beyond.

Gears esports "working closely" with the hcs team? That's intriguing.

I wonder if they mean joint events or just sharing ideas and what not.

I think the pro circuit format gears uses would have been WAY better than hcs than the pro league format had been.

Also Jack Felling seems like she has a great knack for community and esports.

jem0208

I honestly don't get the problem with 5's maps. There's obviously a few duds, notably the DLC maps, but overall i think 5 has a decent selection.

Plaza, Truth, Coliseum, Eden and Rig are all great.

Regret, Fathom, Empire (with HCS settings) are decent.

Stasis, Tyrant and Mercy are okay as well.

Again, the problem with 5 is the lack of variety. There's not enough game modes so whilst the map/mode combinations are actually pretty decent they do get a bit stale playing the same ones over and over again.

I honestly don't get the problem with 5's maps. There's obviously a few duds, notably the DLC maps, but overall i think 5 has a decent selection.

Plaza, Truth, Coliseum, Eden and Rig are all great.

Regret, Fathom, Empire (with HCS settings) are decent.

Stasis, Tyrant and Mercy are okay as well.

Again, the problem with 5 is the lack of variety. There's not enough game modes so whilst the map/mode combinations are actually pretty decent they do get a bit stale playing the same ones over and over again.

for sure... I think people forget how bad a lot of the old maps are.
the DLC maps in H5 have been a bit weaker than the original maps but geez, we PAID for a lot of dogshit DLC over the years.
rubbish like backwash, gemini, sandbox, isolation, foundry, all the forge bullshit.

my only complaint is the lack of BTB maps and how DLC are not really suited for HCS

i'm one of the few people who would like more of the same in H6.
simplify the campaign story though.

E92 M3

for sure... I think people forget how bad a lot of the old maps are.
the DLC maps in H5 have been a bit weaker than the original maps but geez, we PAID for a lot of dogshit DLC over the years.
rubbish like backwash, gemini, sandbox, isolation, foundry, all the forge bullshit.

my only complaint is the lack of BTB maps and how DLC are not really suited for HCS

i'm one of the few people who would like more of the same in H6.
simplify the campaign story though.

Halo will be dead completely if get more of the same with H6.

Also, we want MLG back. HCS is a joke compared to what it should be.

belushy

Banned
"The gameplay is good, but the map design sucks"

-Everyone, whenever the gameplay is problematic for the map designers

Yeah, the map design does suck. Whats that have to do with h5 gameplay? If the designers are not making maps that fit the style of gameplay, then they arent doing their jobs properly.

Edit. To clarify i like the base maps. Only talking about the dlc maps

Trup1aya

Yeah, the map design does suck. Whats that have to do with h5 gameplay? If the designers are not making maps that fit the style of gameplay, then they arent doing their jobs properly.

Edit. To clarify i like the base maps. Only talking about the dlc maps

Perhaps the gameplay design indroduces issues that compromise map design, and map designers are doing the best they can with what they have...

To clarify I also like the base maps, but none really standout

Fuchsdh

It's so bad.

One of the things I think the Vice Waypoint article made somewhat clear is even Bungie didn't really know what they were doing for making a good game. So many "core" or "i c o n i c" elements of the games were simple mistakes or drastic changes from what they originally planned.

Trup1aya

One of the things I think the Vice Waypoint article made somewhat clear is even Bungie didn't really know what they were doing for making a good game. So many "core" or "i c o n i c" elements of the games were simple mistakes or drastic changes from what they originally planned.

Fascinating isn't it?

The part about H2 is what blows me away. Everyone was sold on making this big Warzone experience, while a handful of guys were adamant about 4v4. the big experience fell through and 4v4 went from being a side dish to being the main course
and it was absolutely delicious

E92 M3

There is no point of focusing on what could have been, but instead on what we got. For years, we've gotten fantastic games from Bungie. I want to see 343 games have the same heart and soul as Bungie and not just following trends.

Don't know if this is the best place to post it, but Franklez (Frank O'Conner) just posted a now-deleted tweet.

EDIT: I guess not deleted? Either way:

https://twitter.com/franklez/status/882656845277544448
If this isn't Halo 6 news then it's a pretty bad tweet imo. The people have hungered for H6 news for months now, especially after a no show at E3, so if this is only gonna lead up to some Halo Wars 2 thing then that's gonna be pretty lame.

Is RTX this week?
Oh fuck me, yeah, that is this week. This really is going to just be news about the HW2 DLC.

The dream continues to die.

If this isn't Halo 6 news then it's a pretty bad tweet imo. The people have hungered for H6 news for months now, especially after a no show at E3, so if this is only gonna lead up to some Halo Wars 2 thing then that's gonna be pretty lame.

Community manager posted this:

https://twitter.com/Unyshek/status/882658192794058753

RTX is this weekend :)

In response to this:

i think hes referring to changes to the HCS, FFA, and Dubs playlists

This could really be ...actually something.

EDIT: Possible H3 reference? I'm thinking this is quite a reach but...

https://twitter.com/HeyImSwat/status/882657607021993984

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Oh fuck me, yeah, that is this week. This really is going to just be news about the HW2 DLC.

The dream continues to die.

We certainly won't be discussing "Halo 6" at RTX, nor would I ever "announce" our next big game with a BBQ tweet, but there's no need for your dreams to die. Just have some more manageable dreams.

Juan

We certainly won't be discussing "Halo 6" at RTX, nor would I ever "announce" our next big game with a BBQ tweet, but there's no need for your dreams to die. Just have some more manageable dreams.

Hey Frankie, are there specific rules @343 regarding hiring people outside from US?

VIDEO GAME AWARDS WITH GEOFF IS WHEN YOU ALL WILL ANNOUNCE HALO 6 IN CAPS.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey Frankie, are there specific rules @343 regarding hiring people outside from US?

We do it all the time. We have Japanese, Canadian, Mexican, Colmbian, hella Euro, brits, Aussies, Kiwis and Irish. We won't allow a Belgian tho so don't try.

Typically we hire foreigners with development experience or game studio experience. We seldom hire foreigners with no relevant qualifications because it's very hard to deal with visas etc and one of the criteria is that it's difficult or impossible to replicate that person's experience with a US hire.

Top Bottom