• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

nillapuddin

Remember when they were like "Hey let's build new armor." *2 games later* {it all sucks and MK V is never there at launch}

1f44f.png
IF
1f44f.png
YOUR
1f44f.png
SPARTAN
1f44f.png
LOOKS
1f44f.png
1f44f.png
THIS
1f44f.png
THEN
1f44f.png
YOU
1f44f.png
DONT
1f44f.png
KNOW
1f44f.png
WHAT
1f44f.png
HALO
1f44f.png
IS
1f44f.png

7693d37cgw1ex6zcel8spj20xc0fcgqh.jpg

edit
this is really really really good tho
halo_5_guardians_spartan_athlon_artfx_plus_kotobukiya_t.jpg

ofcourse I search for a perfect picture of Mk V and I find this on the first page of results
c6f1ae7ad23b11bbee18f7508175a49a.gif

That there is a Spartan Ladies and Gentlemen.

343 does a great job with the Chief imo, big fan of 4&5. But when I say Master Chief, I only see this

Halo2_Concept_3.jpg

4k H5 confirmed!
It'd had to happen, I was shocked when it wasn't mentioned at e3.

Can't wait, would be awesome if all animations are bumped up to 60fps but might be asking a bit much there.

Don't see the point of back compat.
MCC send to work these days, been watching Naded play (dominate) h3 lately.

FyreWulff

I actually wonder if they're just going to package Halo 3 and 4's DLC with the BC download like they did with some other games since it's all free anyway.

Also the free DLC actually includes Wars too. Neat

First page Google results for Mk. V hype :b

That's the Mk. IV helmet btw. It was when I was mixing/matching that helmet with the Mk. V armor and vice/versa.

TCKaos

hey guys how do i unlock cool stuff to make my guy look cooler in halo 5

There are a few things you can do:
-Buy the Reach REQ packs if they're still on the Microsoft store
-Play any campaign level or finish a multiplayer match in MCC
-Finish Cairo Station in MCC
-Beat Halo 1/2/3/4 on legendary in MCC
-Watch all episodes of Nightfall on the Halo Channel

And then grind REQ points or spend north of $1000 until you unlock the Legendary and Mythic armor and helmet REQs, which are the only ones worth wearing.

nillapuddin

First page Google results for Mk. V hype :b

That's the Mk. IV helmet btw. It was when I was mixing/matching that helmet with the Mk. V armor and vice/versa.

yeah ofcourse its IV but I love it and V near equally

Everyday I try to forget this happened

mark-v-alpha-reflex-module-a7a68582081c417d8d2621eb46e4a11a.png

everyday, I fail

thank goodness we were saved
h5M2UYw.png

Step 1. Spend money until you get the Mk. V Delta or Mk IV.
Step 2.
Step 3. Crippling debt.

that

Trup1aya

hey guys how do i unlock cool stuff to make my guy look cooler in halo 5

Start by buying silver packs until the games gives you a RP refund.

Then do the same with gold packs.

Expect 90% of your packs to have emblems, visors, and ugly armors instead of things you want.

Remember when they were like "Hey let's build new armor." *2 games later* {it all sucks and MK V is never there at launch}

I'd like to see them slim down their armor selection to about 20 sets, allow for Reach level customization, and then implement extra slots for armor accessories that can further allow for more customization. This would be a good route to go because it will keep base armor sets more uniform in size and design so that armor accessories are not limited to just a few sets, therefore keeping 343i's designs more tame as well as allowing them to cut out a lot of the ugly armor from 4 and 5. I'd imagine it looking something like this Reach concept art, but with more base armor options:

It doesn't have to be as militaristic as Reach's art style, but the customization features could look something like that.

Also, I'd like to see REQ packs replaced with a loot box system similar to Overwatch; it's very frustrating having to work through dozens of trash armor, emblems, etc. just to get to one good helmet, as well as the multi-tier packs being a pain. I'd rather deal with duplicates so long as we get scrap points.

Everyday I try to forget this happened

mark-v-alpha-reflex-module-a7a68582081c417d8d2621eb46e4a11a.png

everyday, I fail

I actually like this helmet, but not as a replacement to Mk. V. If it was released after Mk. V, I think it would've been more well-received.

Halo 5 has some good helmets/armors imo, but the white/unchangeable decals kill a lot of them.

but the white/unchangeable decals kill a lot of them.

Not to mention these become washed out/blurred jagged lines at more than 2 feet away. Part of the problem with 343i's artstyle is they try to do too much with their limited engine/hardware. Sometimes the game can look great, while it falls short in other areas.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

1f44f.png
IF
1f44f.png
YOUR
1f44f.png
SPARTAN
1f44f.png
LOOKS
1f44f.png
1f44f.png
THIS
1f44f.png
THEN
1f44f.png
YOU
1f44f.png
DONT
1f44f.png
KNOW
1f44f.png
WHAT
1f44f.png
HALO
1f44f.png
IS
1f44f.png

7693d37cgw1ex6zcel8spj20xc0fcgqh.jpg

edit
this is really really really good tho
halo_5_guardians_spartan_athlon_artfx_plus_kotobukiya_t.jpg

ofcourse I search for a perfect picture of Mk V and I find this on the first page of results
c6f1ae7ad23b11bbee18f7508175a49a.gif

That there is a Spartan Ladies and Gentlemen.

343 does a great job with the Chief imo, big fan of 4&5. But when I say Master Chief, I only see this

Halo2_Concept_3.jpg

I don't know the name of it but I REALLY like the 2nd helmet in the bottom row. Which just goes to show that complaints about armor design is just like your opinion man.

Fuchsdh

I actually like this helmet, but not as a replacement to Mk. V. If it was released after Mk. V, I think it would've been more well-received.

Halo 5 has some good helmets/armors imo, but the white/unchangeable decals kill a lot of them.

Yeah my problem with the MkV Alpha is a) it's got some uncanny valley issues since it's similar to Mk V, so for some people it'll never look right, and b) it's got some weird angles. Which I'd say is the overall problem with a lot of Halo 5's armor, you get pieces that look good from 3 or 4 angles and then bad from another two. A lot of the helmets have an elongation that makes them look weird from the side even if they're fine from the front.

I unabashedly do like the MkV Alpha armor. Sleeker version of the classic MkV but still keeping a lot of the same lines. Honestly I think if Bungie had gone that route for MkVI I'd have been happier.

I don't know the name of it but I REALLY like the 2nd helmet in the bottom row. Which just goes to show that complaints about armor design is just like your opinion man.

Well obviously, we have people that unironically loved Reach-era GUNGNIR, so...

(And of the ones picked I like the Hellcat, Wetwork, and whatever the one with the quasi cat ears on the bottom row is.)

Oh my too many words on the previous page of this thread lol. So what do you think? Are these announcements about BC an attempt to distance themselves from TMCC? The announcement of Halo CEA and the tidbit saying there will be matchmaking as well was pretty intriguing.
"Today we're thrilled to announce four more very special additions coming later this year to the Xbox One back-compat program: Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo 4, and Halo: CE Anniversary! ...Each of these games will include campaign and multiplayer, and will even support LAN play on Xbox One"

CEA will have matchmaking? If so I'll probably be buying it. But it also kind of confirms that TMCC is pretty much being given up on.

EDIT: Sorry wrong thread. I should have posted in the MCC thread.

HTupolev

Oh my too many words on the previous page of this thread lol. So what do you think? Are these announcements about BC an attempt to distance themselves from TMCC? The announcement of Halo CEA and the tidbit saying there will be matchmaking as well was pretty intriguing.

CEA will have matchmaking? If so I'll probably be buying it. But it also kind of confirms that TMCC is pretty much being given up on.

Aren't they just emphasizing that the BC covers the full extent of the game? So in CEA's case, XB1 will support CEA's Reach MP.

FyreWulff

Depends. Making CE:A 360 BC would implicitly mean they're emulating the Reach CEA MP side of it (which is just Reach, which is already BC).

Should be noted that CE:A 360 was never sold digitally, likely because the CE:A side is detected as Reach itself due to how 360 title IDs work, so if you had both CE:A and Reach it;d only ever launch the Anniversary disc executable.

Or they're just stating that the games still support all their features they have right now.

nillapuddin

No doubt some of them are really good (I even reference Athlon in my post), I just find the vast majority are way to over complicated and don't look halo to me

that's just a random picture I found by typing "halo 5 ugly helmets" into google and it popped up, obviously theres some hyperbolic meme-ification going on also.

You are a purer man than I, I cannot accept the Alpha, its simply not right in my eyes.

I'd like to see them slim down their armor selection to about 20 sets, allow for Reach level customization, and then implement extra slots for armor accessories that can further allow for more customization. This would be a good route to go because it will keep base armor sets more uniform in size and design so that armor accessories are not limited to just a few sets, therefore keeping 343i's designs more tame as well as allowing them to cut out a lot of the ugly armor from 4 and 5. I'd imagine it looking something like this Reach concept art, but with more base armor options:

It doesn't have to be as militaristic as Reach's art style, but the customization features could look something like that..

I feel the same way. Those reach concept art images and even the omega team concept to a degree are how I would prefer the multiplayer customization

Also, I'd like to see REQ packs replaced with a loot box system similar to Overwatch; it's very frustrating having to work through dozens of trash armor, emblems, etc. just to get to one good helmet, as well as the multi-tier packs being a pain. I'd rather deal with duplicates so long as we get scrap points.

this idk about, both of these systems are still random reward. I want to actually work towards something, not the potential of something by elimination.

Obviously MT-packs will exist in some form, I just hope I can spend my money on individual items also, even if its more expensive.

I will save a shit load of points, miss out on tons of req packs if it meant I could buy Mk IV/V out right.

Aren't they just emphasizing that the BC covers the full extent of the game? So in CEA's case, XB1 will support CEA's Reach MP.

Depends. Making CE:A 360 BC would implicitly mean they're emulating the Reach CEA MP side of it (which is just Reach, which is already BC).

Should be noted that CE:A 360 was never sold digitally, likely because the CE:A side is detected as Reach itself due to how 360 title IDs work, so if you had both CE:A and Reach it;d only ever launch the Anniversary disc executable.

Or they're just stating that the games still support all their features they have right now.
Oh well that's lame then. I knew I shouldnt have been excited lol.

Toa Freak

Neo Member
They are essentially EU- media that the majority of the playerbase will never consume.
The fact that they can be unlocked in-game doesn't change the fact the few will ever view that content. That's why only non-essential content (EU) should ever be locked in this manner.

Most of the playerbase never even touches the campaign. The answers are there for people to find, in-game.

Where was it "explained" in game?

Reunion:
Cortana (COM): "After I saw John last, I was pulled into slipspace. That's where I found access to the Domain -- a Forerunner system that spans the known galaxy."

I smirked when reading this. As I said before this is not explaination. This isn't even exposition. It's a passing mention. And it isn't even accurate ! Haha.

I fail to see how it's not an explanation or how it's inaccurate. It's directly telling you what the Domain is in the simplest of terms.

I don't know many who feel this way. What was wrong with his character?

He was boring, never given anything beyond wanting revenge. How could have been interesting, the potential was there, but Jul, as we is in the universe, isn't great.

Again, Plot holes are one thing, but H5 fails to develop evil Cortana in anyway, which leads to additional questions about here strategy. Not only that but an impossible message sent directly to chief by Cortana is THE event that set the narrative in motion, how can they completely gloss over how that happened?

I agree, they should have done more with Cortana and should have explained her contacting the Chief in-game.

how is 'where' not important? Also, they were apparently pulled from numerous worlds of various sizes, some rather large. Scores of people died in the process.

Because where is what comes next. Now is just the deployment of the Guardians. Where didn't matter to the story at the end of the game, just that they were deployed across the galaxy.

Why pool them all in genesis at all?

Because that's where Cortana "is", at the Domain node on that planet.

At somepoint you realize that it was just a contrived way to reunite Osiris and Blue team via Sanghelios - a planet that was convieniently ending its civil war right as Cortana summons a Gaurdian.

Yeah, stories are often convenient. What's your point?

this idk about, both of these systems are still random reward. I want to actually work towards something, not the potential of something by elimination.

Obviously MT-packs will exist in some form, I just hope I can spend my money on individual items also, even if its more expensive.

I will save a shit load of points, miss out on tons of req packs if it meant I could buy Mk IV/V out right.

I think it's just a matter of preference. Completing the REQs was a total grind for me, and an unpleasant one at that. Although there is more certainty, it's more fun to have a simple system that pools together all rarities and sets percentages at a fair rate. It's nicer to be able to rank up a couple times in a night, open two loot boxes and maybe pull a nice item. Beats having to dump ~200 hours in to completing Silver Packs before you can start getting to the good stuff; trying to skip to Gold Packs is insanely frustrating because you put at least an hour of gameplay into grinding for one and then get two Rares because you haven't completed them all yet.

All in all, I just want to see a scrap system implemented somehow, and I think an Overwatch system is best for that. Also, if armor is slimmed down and rarities are balanced like Overwatch (Emblems = common, armor = rare - legendary, assassinations = ultra, etc.), it would be much more satisfying to me. Plus, loot box challenges are fun to work towards.

JDHarbs

the team is also planning a special Halo 3 Anniversary Throwback playlist for Halo 5. This new matchmaking offering is being built from scratch on a selection of incredible community-made Halo 3 maps created with Forge in Halo 5 and will feature “classic” gameplay settings.
tenor.gif

the team is also planning a special Halo 3 Anniversary Throwback playlist for Halo 5. This new matchmaking offering is being built from scratch on a selection of incredible community-made Halo 3 maps created with Forge in Halo 5 and will feature “classic” gameplay settings.

I don't even like Halo 3 MP and I feel like this is a lame way to celebrate it. I would have played H3A. Better net code, Narrows, Guardian and Pit remakes would all be great.

Trup1aya

Most of the playerbase never even touches the campaign. The answers are there for people to find, in-game.

Terrible excuse for terrible execution. Being hidden, yet accessible in-game is not valid substitute for properly telling a story through gameplay. Not having this media be a part of the stories possession, they might as well have been viewable outside of the game.

The % of the people who touch the campaign is irrelevant. a % of that % will ever access the terminals. So the people who DO play the campaign are greatly disserviced, and most people who play the game miss key information.

Reunion:
Cortana (COM): "After I saw John last, I was pulled into slipspace. That's where I found access to the Domain -- a Forerunner system that spans the known galaxy."

I fail to see how it's not an explanation or how it's inaccurate. It's directly telling you what the Domain is in the simplest of terms.

People just watched a nuke go off "destroying" the consoles Cortana was installed in. how did she survive the blast? How was she pulled into slipspace? How does one 'access the domain', via the ships networking hardware? How is it that the Domain overcame her rampancy?

Answers to those types of questions would've amounted to an explanation. What we got was hand-waving via technobabble- as if the details of a major characters resurrection aren't important.

This deserved at least a cutscene (Though I feel like the parameters to would've facilitated her survival should have established, in-game (and no, not in terminals) over the course of a game or 2, prior to her being revealed as a bad guy.)

Also, the Domain is Precursor, not Forerunner.

He was boring, never given anything beyond wanting revenge. How could have been interesting, the potential was there, but Jul, as we is in the universe, isn't great.

Disagree. He wasn't only motivated by revenge. He was motivated by wanting to preserve his species. He (correctly!) estimated that Humanity would be plotting the extermination of the Sangheli. He was also extremely cunning, escaping from ONI captivity, then pretending to be a religious zealot in order to amass a fleet to rival the Arbiter's, all in the name of keeping Humanity (a great danger to Sanghelios) out of Sangheli affairs.

interestingly, he despised Humanity most for their propensity to use trickery and deceit to gain the upper hand on the battlefield, yet ironically, as an underdog, He has little choice but to employ a similar strategy.

He's a very layered and conflicted character. Not boring at all.

I agree, they should have done more with Cortana and should have explained her contacting the Chief in-game.

Because where is what comes next. Now is just the deployment of the Guardians. Where didn't matter to the story at the end of the game, just that they were deployed across the galaxy.

They were already deployed across the galaxy to begin with. She called them to genesis, un-deploying them, only to re-deploy them again.

They just needed a way to get Osiris to genesis, logic be damned.

Because that's where Cortana "is", at the Domain node on that planet.

The domain "spans the known galaxy". Cortana having access to it, means her influence is everywhere. We see that in here ability to make direct contact with key character regardless of where they are, even if they are in slipspace.

There's no reason the Guardian's would need to be assembled at Genesis. Obviously, she can control them remotely, that's how she got them there.

Yeah, stories are often convenient. What's your point?

Because convienience shouldn't eliminate logic- especially not when this plot was concocted by an AI- a being whose entire existence is performing logic and calculations.

jem0208

People just watched a nuke go off "destroying" the consoles Cortana was installed in. how did she survive the blast? How was she pulled into slipspace? How does one 'access the domain', via the ships networking hardware? How is it that the Domain overcame her rampancy?

Answers to those types of questions would've amounted to an explanation. What we got was hand-waving via technobabble- as if the details of a major characters resurrection aren't important.

This deserved at least a cutscene (Though I feel like the parameters to would've facilitated her survival should have established, in-game (and no, not in terminals) over the course of a game or 2, prior to her being revealed as a bad guy.)

Also, the Domain is Precursor, not Forerunner.

Answering the bolded wouldn't have actually added anything to the story. A cutscene explaining the various mechanics of Cortana's survival would have been incomprehensible technobabble to the vast majority of players. It would just bring up more questions and wouldn't further the story in any way.

Whilst they could have executed the explanation far better in 5 the important note is that Cortana survives, the surrounding explanation is only really interesting from a lore nerd perspective and would be far better suited in the EU.

Trup1aya

Answering the bolded wouldn't have actually added anything to the story. A cutscene explaining the various mechanics of Cortana's survival would have been incomprehensible technobabble to the vast majority of players. It would just bring up more questions and wouldn't further the story in any way.

Whilst they could have executed the explanation far better in 5 the important note is that Cortana survives, the surrounding explanation is only really interesting from a lore nerd perspective and would be far better suited in the EU.

What?!?!

The domain being the catalyst for Cortana's survival makes it a item of monumental importance to the narrative going forward. AI being able to survive rampancy is a monumental development. That shit can't just be mentioned in passing. That's CRAZY!

The fact that only a fragment of Cortana survived the nuke is also a massive revelation. No one understands how or why Cortana is back. How does explaining this situation make people MORE confused than a gigantic revelation being passed off in a single sentence?

This is EXACTLY the type of thing that SHOULDN'T be explained in the EU. Everyone who plays the game deserves and needs to know what the domain is and what it's capable of.

I can't even take this post seriously man. Just imagine you're watching This seasons Game of Thrones premier. And the first episode,
Ned Stark
walks in and start fighting FOR the Lanisters. And for the rest of the season, the only mention of how he came back is a single statement - "someone came and did some magic on me, so I'm back now". That would be ridiculous right? Yet THAT wouldn't even be as ridiculous as H5 is because GoT at least preestablished resurrection as possibility within the universe.

Please gimme a break.

At the very least, The revelations from "dominion splinter" could have been a short visualization narrated by Cortana's explaination to chief.

Beyond that, Cortana shouldn't have even been revealed prior to the logistical means for her survival being established in game. (And no hidden terminals do not suffice as in-game explanation).

IHaveIce

Banned
Wtf.
More people bought the game for the campaign than people did for the mp and stay with it. And this is nothing new for halo.

This was mentioned by devs more than once.

nillapuddin

I think it's just a matter of preference. Completing the REQs was a total grind for me, and an unpleasant one at that. Although there is more certainty, it's more fun to have a simple system that pools together all rarities and sets percentages at a fair rate. It's nicer to be able to rank up a couple times in a night, open two loot boxes and maybe pull a nice item. Beats having to dump ~200 hours in to completing Silver Packs before you can start getting to the good stuff; trying to skip to Gold Packs is insanely frustrating because you put at least an hour of gameplay into grinding for one and then get two Rares because you haven't completed them all yet.

All in all, I just want to see a scrap system implemented somehow, and I think an Overwatch system is best for that. Also, if armor is slimmed down and rarities are balanced like Overwatch (Emblems = common, armor = rare - legendary, assassinations = ultra, etc.), it would be much more satisfying to me. Plus, loot box challenges are fun to work towards.

on the bolded I agree 100%

On the rest I definitely see your point I am just hesitant to agree, req pack just left such a bad taste In my mouth.

I don't play Overwatch so I cannot speak to it fully, but I do understand getting duplicates is a big part of the reward system, I don't like the way that sounds....

Unless the "scrap" is actually useful
If a pack costs 1000 points, and you get 5 things, I don't want to break a duplicate down and get 100 points, its not my fault I got a duplicate, I feel like it would have to be atleast 1/5 the points invested for me to be okay with it

Things like emblems just don't carry the same weight anymore like in the old Halo days. I think by leaving out so many legacy emblems, they have lost a lot of peoples care in their player identity.

Id prefer a drastically toned down armor set ]selection, then add visual ways to modify it, such as color patterns (For Honor) or attachments (like Reach).

That would help cut down the metric fuck on of armors that clog up 5, but still allow players to augment their character from just standard armor (which is hopefully significantly improved in design since there are not as many)

For Honor reference, White & Blue are his selected colors and the patterns change how they are displayed in relation to eachother, toggleable on each armor piece
maxresdefault.jpg

I no rite

on the bolded I agree 100%

On the rest I definitely see your point I am just hesitant to agree, req pack just left such a bad taste In my mouth.

I don't play Overwatch so I cannot speak to it fully, but I do understand getting duplicates is a big part of the reward system, I don't like the way that sounds....

Unless the "scrap" is actually useful
If a pack costs 1000 points, and you get 5 things, I don't want to break a duplicate down and get 100 points, its not my fault I got a duplicate, I feel like it would have to be atleast 1/5 the points invested for me to be okay with it

Things like emblems just don't carry the same weight anymore like in the old Halo days. I think by leaving out so many legacy emblems, they have lost a lot of peoples care in their player identity.

Id prefer a drastically toned down armor set ]selection, then add visual ways to modify it, such as color patterns (For Honor) or attachments (like Reach).

Overwatch's loot box and scrapping system are actually really good as far as RNG systems go. Essentially, you earn a loot box in one of four ways: ranking up, getting three wins in Arcade Mode (you are limited to earning three per week), winning a match of a new game mode in arcade (limited to one), and complimentary loot boxes for seasonal events.

When opening a loot box, you are rewarded with four items that span four rarities: common (silver), rare (blue), epic (purple), and legendary (gold). You can get duplicates, but they are converted into a scrap currency automatically, which earn you different amounts of coins based on the rarity of the duplicate (5, 15, 50, 200). The RNG system for loot boxes is pretty fair as well; although there may be some drought periods where you get jank items, I have had times where for about 4-5 openings in a row I pulled at least one legendary item per box, and on two of those occasions I actually pulled two, however this is pretty rare. Based on my average experience, you'll pull something nice every 3-4 loot boxes.

Now in terms of what you can pull from loot boxes, you can get voice lines and sprays (commons); player stances, skins (just recolorings of the default skin), and emblems (rare); play of the game animations, more skins (more advanced recolorings, sometimes with cosmetic changes), and emotes (epic); and finally the only legendary item you can pull are skins, which are complete redesigns of a character. However, you can also pull currency from rare to legendary values, which would be 50, 150, or 500 coins.

Now the nice part about this is that you can buy these items with scrap, which based on their rarity, will cost you 25, 75, 250, or 1000. Event exclusive skins, however, will cost you triple this base price. I was able to buy my absolute favorite skin pretty early on because of this system, compared to it taking maybe 300 hours to get that god damn Mark IV helmet, which at that point, wasn't even worth it because I was sick of the game by then.

Anyway, I think a system like this could fit in very well with Halo 6's cosmetic system and allow for players to get what they want a lot faster, therefore having a more satisfying experience. It sure beats the REQ system which feels like a chore, however depending on what happens with Warzone, maybe it could stay in for the weapon variants exclusively, while cosmetics are earned via loot box and scrap. Ideally, I don't want to see RNG in Halo at all, but like 343i said, they want to stay on top of trends, and RNG systems with free DLC are very hot right now and were highly profitable in Halo 5. Unless Halo 6 takes a divine popularity and sales, I don't think they will be willing to switch to something else.

All of this discussion on the Domain makes me realize what convoluted tripe the story has become for the average player. The mantle, domain aren't readily explained within the games, just briefly mentioned.

Chittagong

Gold Member
4K Halo 5 is going to bring me back. I actually don't even think I ever need a Halo 6, a sharp looking Halo 5 with its sublime MP is perfect.

pretty sure I'll drop from plat to silver

Trup1aya

All of this discussion on the Domain makes me realize what convoluted tripe the story has become for the average player. The mantle, domain aren't readily explained within the games, just briefly mentioned.

Between not witnessing H4 terminals, not playing Spartan Ops, and the seemingly random revelations in H5, the average player has absolutely no clue what's is going on.

When H5 came out, all my friends kept asking me "how is Cortana back? Why is she evil now? Where did all these Spartans come from?" The domain was mentioned so 'matter-of-fact-ly, that none picked up on it, let alone ask me about it.

It's messy.

Fuchsdh

Between not witnessing H4 terminals, not playing Spartan Ops, and the seemingly random revelations in H5, the average player has absolutely no clue what's is going on.

When H5 came out, all my friends kept asking me "how is Cortana back? Why is she evil now? Where did all these Spartans come from?" The domain was mentioned so 'matter-of-fact-ly, that none picked up on it, let alone ask me about it.

It's messy.

Can't do anything about the player being an idiot. There's enough in Halo 5 to know that Blue Team are Chief's former teammates. That's the bare minimum you need and it's there.

Trup1aya

Can't do anything about the player being an idiot. There's enough in Halo 5 to know that Blue Team are Chief's former teammates. That's the bare minimum you need and it's there.

Idiot for expecting character development? Ok

Where did they come from? People thought MC was the last Spartan, since they all supposedly died on Reach. now there are Spartans all over the place. Not just blue team, but S4s as well...

I definately disagree that the bear minimum has been met.

Sai

I'm not too deep into the lore outside of the games. I read the first two, or three books, and have only taken a peek at a Halo wiki for information regarding Spartan IVs, and the origin of the Flood.

That said, I had no issue with understanding stuff like the Domain, Mantle of Responsibility, Cortana being evil due to some form of Rampancy, and so on... I'm not entirely satisfied with the direction 343's taken with the Forerunner and Humanity's backstory, but I don't think it's been all that convoluted.

Trup1aya

I'm not too deep into the lore outside of the games. I read the first two, or three books, and have only taken a peek at a Halo wiki for information regarding Spartan IVs, and the origin of the Flood.

That said, I had no issue with understanding stuff like the Domain, Mantle of Responsibility, Cortana being evil due to some form of Rampancy, and so on... I'm not entirely satisfied with the direction 343's taken with the Forerunner and Humanity's backstory, but I don't think it's been all that convoluted.

Yeah, you are working with a TON more information than the average player, who has done NONE of those things...

Sai

Sure, but what I read from those first few books from Nylund, and the wiki never touched on the three topics I mentioned in the 2nd paragraph.

best part in 5 was at the end of the first mission when we kill that elite with Hasley. lol

Who? wut? when? why? where? huh? Okay.

I really enjoyed all the fuckery and torture that Jul went through in the books. So to kill him off via cutscene like that really steamed my buns.

I mean, Oni gave him food that specifically was gonna make his whole species sick and die off. He had very legitimate reasons to hate our species but none of that was ever spoken of in game. Which is a complete waste.

But hey! We get to kill him for a hundred points in Warzone.

Trup1aya

Sure, but what I read from those first few books from Nylund, and the wiki never touched on the three topics I mentioned in the 2nd paragraph.

Fair enough. I guess YMMV. But I empathize with people who didn't grasp those concepts, because in-game, there were mostly mentioned in passing or relegated to hidden terminals.

Given the backlash to the narrative and my own conversations with folks who don't touch extra lore, I fear there are many people who don't share your sentiments.

NOKYARD

I don't even like Halo 3 MP and I feel like this is a lame way to celebrate it. I would have played H3A. Better net code, Narrows, Guardian and Pit remakes would all be great.

The H3 Classic Playlist is going to be, by far, the best forge playlist ever assembled. All previous forge playlists have followed the same protocol: Find a map, work with the individual builders in secret to get it up to MM standards, publish the playlist.

This time builders have access to teams of forgers (Art/Lighting team, Perf team, Script team) as well as constant full and direct 2-way communications with 343i's sustain and test departments, and assistance from dozens of other forgers who are very passionate about Halo 3. Maps are being fine tuned to include all original geometry, jumps, and sight lines, and certain design elements are being standardized across the board.

It's a shame this playlist has to carry the weight of a community disappointed by not getting the H3 treatment they were expecting. The people who should be celebrating the fact that we're finally getting the often-requested a no-Spartain Abilities playlist are already shitting all over it because they wanted H3A.

The H3 Classic Playlist is going to be, by far, the best forge playlist ever assembled. All previous forge playlists have followed the same protocol: Find a map, work with the individual builders in secret to get it up to MM standards, publish the playlist.

This time builders have access to teams of forgers (Art/Lighting team, Perf team, Script team) as well as constant full and direct 2-way communications with 343i's sustain and test departments, and assistance from dozens of other forgers who are very passionate about Halo 3. Maps are being fine tuned to include all original geometry, jumps, and sight lines, and certain design elements are being standardized across the board.

It's a shame this playlist has to carry the weight of a community disappointed by not getting the H3 treatment they were expecting. The people who should be celebrating the fact that we're finally getting the often-requested a no-Spartain Abilities playlist are already shitting all over it because they wanted H3A.

Sounds good, might reinstall Halo 5 for this. I'm hoping it's met with a lot of positive reception from the player base, however I think a lot of people who would be excited for this have moved on by now.

Top Bottom