• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

timewyrm

I'm thinking of picking this up but am wondering whether it's worth just waiting until Black Friday / Xmas sales. Can get it for around £20/ $25 right now.

Trup1aya

I'm thinking of picking this up but am wondering whether it's worth just waiting until Black Friday / Xmas sales. Can get it for around £20/ $25 right now.

The longer you wait, the lower the MP population will be... If that's what you are into. Especially with all of the good shooters coming out this holiday.

Ryde3

Halo 5 needs some settings which are still missing from previous Halo games. Some examples:

- Being able to limit the amount of players that can join you.
- Being able to kick people mid-game.
- Being able to move with the whole party to an other players lobby.

Would be great if these are comming with the Custom Game Browser, but I never see people mentioning these.

All those things are reallllly needed. Also, lobby chat!

timewyrm

The longer you wait, the lower the MP population will be... If that's what you are into. Especially with all of the good shooters coming out this holiday.

Not really fussed about mp tbh. Just wondering if it's likely to be cheaper any time soon. BTW, I'm talking about digital deluxe edition, if that makes any difference.

edit: just remembered I have to start and finish Halo - Halo 4, and all in between, lol.

Trup1aya

Not really fussed about mp tbh. Just wondering if it's likely to be cheaper any time soon. BTW, I'm talking about digital deluxe edition, if that makes any difference.

If you just want the campaign, it shouldn't hurt you to wait. I'm sure it'll be dirt cheap this holiday season.

Cool, thanks.

You should still give the MP a shot though. The mechanics are arguably the best they've ever been (I spent days playing Halo 3 and had tons of fun but even I consider it slow and somewhat cumbersome these days) and MP will give you plenty more opportunities to enjoy this gameplay. Warzone Firefight is ideal if you simply want to play against AI in a wide variety of scenarios without the pressure of facing other players. Competitive Halo can be quite rough...

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
The Wraiths in warzone are ridiculous. I was shooting at a ghost in the red team garage on Sanctum and to my surprise soon after an A.I. wraith started pestering me with mortar rounds. What made it complete BS was that the wraith was behind a rock formation, there was no way it could see me from it position, yet it was still able to get off a bunch of accurate shots.

mo60

Yeah I don't get it why have sometimes where warzone assault has party size limits but warzone does not. Always seems backwards like limit the one where party size doesn't matter too much and not the one where you can win by just cordinating games to the point of spawn killing them. At least with warzone assault they can back you into the core and farm you for 6 min. With warzone you can force them into the base right off the back and farm them until you get 1000 kills.

As cool as warzone is I hate it compared to assault cause at least then the game forces you to do things in a time limit. Nothing is forcing anybody to do anything in warzone. No penalty for not killing a boss or destroying the core when you have all bases for over 5 min. Fuck put a time limit or something for warzone so it will stop feeling like a game that last too long.

Have a surrender vote or do a last push where if the other team has all bases for over so many minutes give them all level 9, show up on the map (resets back to original if you succeed or die) to try to capture a base and put themselves back in the game and once all 12 people die without capturing a base the game is over.

People can literally abuse the 6 minute time limit in Warzone Assault to extend the match for like 15 minutes or more especially if they are on defense. If the farming team is on defense they can farm the team they are facing for like 4 or 5 minutes, let them capture a base in the last minute or so of the match and repeat this when the other team is trying to capture the next base. When the enemy team is trying to capture the home base the farming team can farm them for the entire 6 minutes while defending the base.

TCKaos

Yeah I don't get it why have sometimes where warzone assault has party size limits but warzone does not. Always seems backwards like limit the one where party size doesn't matter too much and not the one where you can win by just cordinating games to the point of spawn killing them. At least with warzone assault they can back you into the core and farm you for 6 min. With warzone you can force them into the base right off the back and farm them until you get 1000 kills.

As cool as warzone is I hate it compared to assault cause at least then the game forces you to do things in a time limit. Nothing is forcing anybody to do anything in warzone. No penalty for not killing a boss or destroying the core when you have all bases for over 5 min. Fuck put a time limit or something for warzone so it will stop feeling like a game that last too long.

Have a surrender vote or do a last push where if the other team has all bases for over so many minutes give them all level 9, show up on the map (resets back to original if you succeed or die) to try to capture a base and put themselves back in the game and once all 12 people die without capturing a base the game is over.

Well, see, I don't like limiting party size, because I think that's addressing a symptom and not the problem.

There should be some kind of algorithm in place that measures a bunch of stuff to determine how to match you. Like, for party matching, the more people you have in your party then the higher the CSR of the players you match against should be, unless they're also in a party. That way, at least each individual random is actually skilled, and it'll lead to a far less frustrating game for them since all of their teammates are competent but lack the unit cohesion of their opposition.

The same should be done with the number of permanent REQs you've unlocked. If you have a bunch of high-level REQs unlocked, then if you get placed with players with almost no REQs unlocked they should have a higher CSR than you. Full stop. In fact, wasn't that supposed to be a thing? But here we are getting SR2s in games with SR148s and stuff.

timewyrm

Just been reading and watching vids about Forge; sounds great. Last time I used custom map editor was Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds :)

Can you play Forge maps against AI, or are they only for online pvp ?

timewyrm

You should still give the MP a shot though. The mechanics are arguably the best they've ever been (I spent days playing Halo 3 and had tons of fun but even I consider it slow and somewhat cumbersome these days) and MP will give you plenty more opportunities to enjoy this gameplay. Warzone Firefight is ideal if you simply want to play against AI in a wide variety of scenarios without the pressure of facing other players. Competitive Halo can be quite rough...

Hmm... tbh, not really a fan of fps mp, but I'll try it out I guess. Still no sure whether DDE will be cheaper than $22 but xmas (decisions, decisions... lol).

People can literally abuse the 6 minute time limit in Warzone Assault to extend the match for like 15 minutes or more especially if they are on defense. If the farming team is on defense they can farm the team they are facing for like 4 or 5 minutes, let them capture a base in the last minute or so of the match and repeat this when the other team is trying to capture the next base. When the enemy team is trying to capture the home base the farming team can farm them for the entire 6 minutes while defending the base.

Yeah but it's harder to do and not as many people do it. Because if you can tell people not to capture than game over. Not saying warzone assault doesn't have way to farm but you see it way more in warzone because it's easier and the payout is much more. You'll never be able to get the amount of kills you would get in warzone compared to assault. So because of this I've seen more teams farming on warzone rather than assualt. Even with assault if it's not a full team defending they can't farm cause if one dude is still in there and the attacking team won't have enough time to capture.

Glass

But+wrestlingcomments+is+willing+to+try+folks+_a750d934cefe338b74176cc0e43ecd9f.jpg

psyfi

Banned
I had to sell my XB1 a few months ago after some fun financial surprises made me unable to pay rent (good times), but I'm not broke anymore and have a new XB1 ordered and on its way. Stoked to play with you kids again.

While we're on the topic of displays, I'm looking into a new monitor for my desktop, where I also play Xbox and PS4. Anyone got recommendations for a 144hz monitor (1080p or 1440p is fine) with a good response time? Something under $300, preferably. There's several that fall under those constraints, probably 1920x1080, but I'm not concerned about resolution as much as I am framerate. I'd like to upgrade from this 1080p 60hz 4ms monitor I've been using for a few years. I've heard about some monitors that do this "lightboost" thing, but I'm not sure if that's actually something that'll make a difference, or malarkey.

I decided to do my free for all placements matches tonight and man is that game mode a mess. The amount of ARs being used is ridiculous. Then add on radar and you get people just camping around corners with the AR. I'd understand it if you have a shotgun or are baiting a power weapon but jeez I find it a lame playstyle otherwise.

It really should just be pistol or br starts with no power weapons or power ups.

Cranster

Banned
After playing some Covenant slayer, I have to say 343i are not creative on weapon placements. Who thought it was a good idea to place not one but two Beam Rifles on Fathom and Truth?

While we're on the topic of displays, I'm looking into a new monitor for my desktop, where I also play Xbox and PS4. Anyone got recommendations for a 144hz monitor (1080p or 1440p is fine) with a good response time? Something under $300, preferably. There's several that fall under those constraints, probably 1920x1080, but I'm not concerned about resolution as much as I am framerate. I'd like to upgrade from this 1080p 60hz 4ms monitor I've been using for a few years. I've heard about some monitors that do this "lightboost" thing, but I'm not sure if that's actually something that'll make a difference, or malarkey.

BenQ is really good. So far this is the best monitor I've ever had, and I've had it for about a year and a half now. It's 27" 1080p 144hz with 1ms. It depends on the model and seller, but they run between $200-$400. Ligthboost is a bit whatever, it just reduces motion blur. It's ok, but it's not something you really need.

I decided to do my free for all placements matches tonight and man is that game mode a mess. The amount of ARs being used is ridiculous. Then add on radar and you get people just camping around corners with the AR. I'd understand it if you have a shotgun or are baiting a power weapon but jeez I find it a lame playstyle otherwise.

It really should just be pistol or br starts with no power weapons or power ups.
You mean, you don't like playing super defensive, crouching around and being super tactical with radar? Super fun imo!

!

That's actually the same model I have. I didn't recommend it because it was over the $300 you asked for, but it's a good monitor.

$350 is still within budget, it's just a little more than I'm comfortable with right now. I'll just wait for a bit. Gears 4 comes out in two weeks, and I'm already dropping a lot on that.

$350 is still within budget, it's just a little more than I'm comfortable with right now. I'll just wait for a bit. Gears 4 comes out in two weeks, and I'm already dropping a lot on that.

Yeah, I just dropped like $130 on the BF 1 Ultimate Edition. RIP H5 and Achilles. I don't even know if I'm going to get Gears, but I definitely want to get TF 2.

Yeah, I just dropped like $130 on the BF 1 Ultimate Edition. RIP H5 and Achilles. I don't even know if I'm going to get Gears, but I definitely want to get TF 2.

I'll be picking up Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 next year. For now I'm getting Gears 4 and Dishonored 2. I might get Call of Duty as well, but I can't afford to get all five of those games, and I definitely don't have the free time to play all of them.

And then there's Berserk and Yakuza 6... Jesus. And 2017 opens with Resident Evil 7, For Honor, and Persona 5.

I'll be picking up Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 next year. For now I'm getting Gears 4 and Dishonored 2. I might get Call of Duty as well, but I can't afford to get all five of those games, and I definitely don't have the free time to play all of them.

And then there's Berserk and Yakuza 6... Jesus. And 2017 opens with Resident Evil 7, For Honor, and Persona 5.

Yeah, time is the biggest issue. I can afford them all, but it would be a waste because I probably won’t play them all like I want. Right now I’m mainly just playing Halo 5 and Elite: Dangerous. I have Horizon 3 coming tomorrow so that’s going to change. I’m going to wait on the reviews for Gears first, it they’re good I’ll probably get it. For CoD, I’m going to wait for it to go cheap or if they sell CoD 4 separately. Too many games coming out in the next few months! I never even finished ReCore so I should probably do that.

Magwik

Banned
This holiday lineup is pretty weak. Maybe Titanfall depending on how the reviews pan out. But I'm really not interested in much else. Hopefully Halo 5 and Overwatch continue to deliver.

Top Bottom