• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

How does one get good at this game again? I was playing arena today to get my rating before the end of the season and this dude sent me a message after the game (that we lost) that simply said: stop, Halo.

I can't believe I'm one of the bad randoms that everyone keeps raving on about.

How does one get good at this game again? I was playing arena today to get my rating before the end of the season and this dude sent me a message after the game (that we lost) that simply said: stop, Halo.

well what are your statistics in general? are you an over 1 K/D or under?

Also, sometimes people might not get a lot of kills but go for objectives, like flags and such and some people are just assholes.

psyfi

Banned

I'm gonna start playing again this weekend after a few months off, let's party up and be scrubs together. GT = psyfi.

Don't sweat it. I think we all might have received one of those nasty grams every once in a while. Even if you are on the winning team, it could happen. (
eff you bruh!
)

Just learn how to combine your movement to outplay and outgun your opponent. it's great when you can do it and get double/triple kills. getting my aim down was a mission though. best advice is to set your deadzones to 0 and slowly work them to higher numbers until you have no drift when the sticks are left alone.

most importantly, just try to have fun. :)

EDIT: Regarding K/D

I'm barely at 1.08? in Slayer and i rank Onyx. SO idk how important K/D will actually be since you can also be a high assist team player and win a lot.

I'm gonna start playing again this weekend after a few months off, let's party up and be scrubs together. GT = psyfi.

Thanks for the offer but I'm not looking for anyone to play with currently, sorry!

well what are your statistics in general? are you an over 1 K/D or under?

Also, sometimes people might not get a lot of kills but go for objectives, like flags and such and some people are just assholes.

Don't sweat it. I think we all might have received one of those nasty grams every once in a while. Even if you are on the winning team, it could happen. (
eff you bruh!
)

Just learn how to combine your movement to outplay and outgun your opponent. it's great when you can do it and get double/triple kills. getting my aim down was a mission though. best advice is to set your deadzones to 0 and slowly work them to higher numbers until you have no drift when the sticks are left alone.

most importantly, just try to have fun. :)

EDIT: Regarding K/D

I'm barely at 1.08? in Slayer and i rank Onyx. SO idk how important K/D will actually be since you can also be a high assist team player and win a lot.

I'm currently at 1.14 overall Arena KD according to Halotracker and it has been dropping every month since release. I've been getting negative KD's since the last couple of months for some reason. I usually rank between Diamond and Onyx, I know that's average or even above average but people the people I get matched with are brutal.

I keep telling myself that my problem is my shit aim, so I hope that deadzone advice works out Gosu!

I'm probably one of the bad randoms people talk about at times. Yesterday, I dropped like a 5-16 bomb. It was a close game too, it was like 47-50. So I was the reason why we lost. I could not do anything right that game no matter what. However, a few games later I went like 17-10-5 and just smashed the other team by myself. When it comes to Arena recently my k/d is negative all the time. Last season I had like a 41% w/l and a .850 k/d. This season isn't much better with a 49% w/l and .950. Arena is just competitive as shit now. I mean I could go into BTB or WZ and just destroy players, so it's not like I'm bad at the game.

Just play the game and don't worry about it really. The more you play the better you'll get. Arena is just really fucking competitive and you're going to have bad games.

Like when I played with G0SU and Dany a few weeks ago I was dropping some horrible scores lol.

Probably true. But at this point, how many active companies will be gunning for it. Also, I don't want to farm. Also, I like you silly rascals.

At this point I've put so much effort into the company stats it's basically "justifying my purchase" re: the spartan company.

BizzyBum

At this point in the game's life anyone Onyx and up in Arena are going to be very good for the most part, and pretty much unbeatable if they are in a full team. Even lower ranked people and groups can fool you because lots of pros and good players use multiple smurf accounts, too.

As far as that stupid Achilles helmet, we are actually pretty close but there's a few left that will be really hard to get like pain train, road trip, assassinations, and first strikes that will probably prevent us from ever obtaining it. Even less people will be playing once all the new shooters come out in the next few months, too. If we had a full company grinding we could probably get it in a couple weeks.

Gears 4 first
BF1 later
TF2 - pass since what i played during the tech test did not give me any satisfaction as TF1 did.

pretty much same for me.

TF2 is unsalvageable in my mind, game is just too different in too many core ways - didn't find the tech test remotely fun and it's not for reasons they can fix without changing the game too severely [maps, movement, mechanics, etc.]

i typically burn out on gears MP quite fast, but i'm excited to try it either way.

never really delved into BF before, but i found the open beta pretty fun and will definitely give that a try.

BizzyBum

I really enjoyed Gears 4 beta so I'll be focused on that but there's no doubt I'll try out CoD, BF1, and TF2. Still hop on H5 as much as I can but I need to play way more of FH3.

Too many games!

psyfi

Banned
Only game I'm for sure getting this fall is Pokemon Moon. Otherwise nothing much interests me. I'll just keep playing Halo, Overwatch, and Hearthstone till Zelda comes out, with a few single player games mixed in. I still wanna try the new Deus Ex game, and it's been a while since I played an indie stuff.

Madness

Battlefield 1 was a little too Battlefront-like for my taste. I think TitanFall 2 would be my choice. Have them all preordered though. Gears 4 marketing and hype has started and yet I barely played the beta and don't even want the game all that much.

BizzyBum

Huke and Snip3down going huge, 17 assists for Snip3 is the most I think I've seen. Ola was pretty clutch with the caster at the end, too.

The OpTic curse lives on. lol

Battlefield 1 was a little too Battlefront-like for my taste. I think TitanFall 2 would be my choice. Have them all preordered though. Gears 4 marketing and hype has started and yet I barely played the beta and don't even want the game all that much.

That single player though :p (for both bf1 and gears4)

Dyring tf2 test tech, my titan didnt feel special and part of me, it felt like a killstreak award tossed my way. It Felt cold, Wet, Dark and lonely... sniff rip tf2.

BizzyBum

Damn, Optic fans rose the viewcount by about 8k tonight. It was peaking at close to 15k and now it's back down to around 7k.

It's alright, ExWife did the same to me a couple of days ago. Once the tears ran out the pain didn't last too much longer.
but the shame never goes away
RGsOj3Q.gif

BizzyBum

LOL with their first win. When Penguin ninja'd Renegade with OS I thought that was going to be the choke but they bounced back nicely. Bad loss for Liquid.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Damn, Optic fans rose the viewcount by about 8k tonight. It was peaking at close to 15k and now it's back down to around 7k.

The OpTic fans come out to support their team each night, but this matchup is what really attracted everyone. I don't think the bump was all GreenWall.

Also, because CLG/OpTic have been winning for so long, people just want to see them lose. HCS Orange County is going to be insane next week.

Trup1aya

LOL with their first win. When Penguin ninja'd Renegade with OS I thought that was going to be the choke but they bounced back nicely. Bad loss for Liquid.

That play was so sick. It was like an inverted ninja, he went under his opponent rather than over.

At this point in the game's life anyone Onyx and up in Arena are going to be very good for the most part, and pretty much unbeatable if they are in a full team. Even lower ranked people and groups can fool you because lots of pros and good players use multiple smurf accounts, too.

As far as that stupid Achilles helmet, we are actually pretty close but there's a few left that will be really hard to get like pain train, road trip, assassinations, and first strikes that will probably prevent us from ever obtaining it. Even less people will be playing once all the new shooters come out in the next few months, too. If we had a full company grinding we could probably get it in a couple weeks.

I'm just hoping they add some gametypes to action sack that make some of the tougher ones more obtainable.

Sorta like how we were able to get the GP commendation.

Sanjuro

Played a ton of games yesterday. Had a pretty good day in terms of consistency until my old man hands started failing.

Still wish there was a better in game system to party up or communicate. Maybe additional d-pad alerts and party system for completed games going onto the next.

Had to block someone for the first time. After a good game, had someone spam the invite button to the point of never ending game invites.

Thanks for the offer but I'm not looking for anyone to play with currently, sorry!

I'm currently at 1.14 overall Arena KD according to Halotracker and it has been dropping every month since release. I've been getting negative KD's since the last couple of months for some reason. I usually rank between Diamond and Onyx, I know that's average or even above average but people the people I get matched with are brutal.

I keep telling myself that my problem is my shit aim, so I hope that deadzone advice works out Gosu!

Well you might be ranked too high. That to me seems to be more of the problem. My KD is around 1.3 and i rank platinum most the time at best.

Sanjuro

I find it entertaining when people become obsessed with their K/D and wins/loss ratings in Halo.

Maybe get some sabermetrics for Halo 6!

Well you might be ranked too high. That to me seems to be more of the problem. My KD is around 1.3 and i rank platinum most the time at best.

I find it entertaining when people become obsessed with their K/D and wins/loss ratings in Halo.

I am a prime example that k/d doesn't really matter. I achieved Onyx in Slayer; solo queue, and my k/d is .8 or .9.

The person may need to change their MM preference. I use Focused.

Trup1aya

The numbers just don't make any sense and really isn't a serious metric of skill.

This is true... It's tough to gauge someone's performance on these stats alone. There's no way to account for variance in playstyles.

But at the end of the day. People don't aim to be the guy who dies more than they kill.

Sanjuro

This is true... It's tough to gauge someone's performance on these stats alone. There's no way to account for variance in playstyles.

But at the end of the day. People don't aim to be the guy who dies more than they kill.

Depends on the mode and game pace. There are plenty of times I rack up deaths purposely to push forward objective based gameplay.

Even during a regular slayer game, if I can identify someone is playing out of their mind, I'm going to adjust my game play accordingly.

Top Bottom