• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

I'm going to buy an S today

I miss Halo 5 enormously. I thought I'd had my fill, but Halo 5: Forge just isn't doing it.

I'm coming
back
home brehs

But+wrestlingcomments+is+willing+to+try+folks+_a750d934cefe338b74176cc0e43ecd9f.jpg

Man i miss the military look of Halo. If Halo 6 had this art style with its characters and no more flat looking forge maps i would die.

I decided to do my free for all placements matches tonight and man is that game mode a mess. The amount of ARs being used is ridiculous. Then add on radar and you get people just camping around corners with the AR. I'd understand it if you have a shotgun or are baiting a power weapon but jeez I find it a lame playstyle otherwise.

It really should just be pistol or br starts with no power weapons or power ups.

No radar, no power weapons and no power ups? That sounds like the most awful stripped down thing I've ever heard of. Radar in FFA is the gametype I absolutely defend it's existence in. And trust me you won't win by camping like that, I've tried for years. It may make your kd acceptable but it won't win you the game at all. But pistol starts wouldn't be too bad, you do need the AR for newer players though.

Karl2177

Why do modders sometimes do a better job than devs?

Look at this customization...

...But the devs have that customization too? They just aren't exposing it for some reason. If I had to take a guess, it's easier just loading into the Xbox's RAM one set of armor that covers arms, legs, etc than each individual piece. I'm basing that off how it handles loading your player model in the menu, where it takes the Spartan's render from the previous match and you can edit it from there.
Yeah, explains why Reach had this level of customization. Right...

Reach did something different in the way it handled player models. Each helmet option still loaded the base helmet and just added a doodad on it. If 343 is doing it the inefficient way, each variant of an armor is an entirely different model that has different textures applied and baked in. That could explain why it takes more than a second to switch from Recruit(standard) to Recruit(charred).

Wow, that looks fantastic. What am I looking at though (like what engine/render)?

If future Halo games adapt that art style, it would be great. I love the look of the armor texture, plus the material look.. it doesn't fall flat, and has a heavy duty future space metal look.

psyfi

Banned
Wow, that looks fantastic. What am I looking at though (like what engine/render)?

If future Halo games adapt that art style, it would be great. I love the look of the armor texture, plus the material look.. it doesn't fall flat, and has a heavy duty future space metal look.
I don't know if 343 can realistically go back to that look for the mainline games. I love it and I want to see it used, but it just feels too nostalgic niche nowadays. I could see it being used in a spin-off, though. Maybe a more frenetic, character action game. Halo's Metal Gear Rising. For some reason the design has strong anime undertones to me.

$350 is still within budget, it's just a little more than I'm comfortable with right now. I'll just wait for a bit. Gears 4 comes out in two weeks, and I'm already dropping a lot on that.

you could go for the 60hz model, i just picked one up in the 60hz range for a fair bit less than the higher refresh rate model.

i already have two $1000 PC monitors for photography / productivity work, so this was really just a dedicated console gaming monitor [so really didn't see how anything more than 60hz was worth the money - as i knew no ~300 dollar monitor was going to satisfy my image quality needs anyway, making it useless for PC crossover].

model number is BenQ RL2755HM.

literally got my Onyx ranking a few days after picking it up, was gaming with like 35ms of input lag before-hand lol.

Akai__

...But the devs have that customization too? They just aren't exposing it for some reason. If I had to take a guess, it's easier just loading into the Xbox's RAM one set of armor that covers arms, legs, etc than each individual piece. I'm basing that off how it handles loading your player model in the menu, where it takes the Spartan's render from the previous match and you can edit it from there.

Reach did something different in the way it handled player models. Each helmet option still loaded the base helmet and just added a doodad on it. If 343 is doing it the inefficient way, each variant of an armor is an entirely different model that has different textures applied and baked in. That could explain why it takes more than a second to switch from Recruit(standard) to Recruit(charred).

I know that devs have it. lol

I meant more like enabling it for other people. This guy has created a mod that lets you switch individual parts of your armor as you can see in the short video.

As for the 2nd part. I obviously don't know why it takes that long. Everything in Halo 5 takes long, so there is that.

malfcn

So have I been doing it wrong all along?

I was selling all the XP cards for RP to buy more packs.
But leveling up gets more packs..

Yup - and they get better as you go. And, once you've unlocked all REQs, you have more than enough to just use XP packs only. Also, XP unlocks are the only way to get some emblems.

Fuchsdh

I dunno if there's actually a proven metric on which is better. You should always have boost cards active, so if you're selling XP cards and don't have an RP card as the boost I don't think you're optimizing your playtime.

The daily login and win packs now basically give me more than enough boosts for me to use given my limited playtime, so I sell everything else I get.

I sold those until I unlocked everything. I haven't found much difference in unlocks once you reach new levels, just more XP cards mostly. Now I'm keeping them because I don't need RP.

BizzyBum

Dear god Destiny is such a grind fest. H5 is the perfect game to pop in and just shoot stuff and not worry after a good Destiny session.

malfcn

I haven't played in awhile and I am shit.

And I forgot how ass Arena is with randoms. Hard to get a rhythm going once the team starts dying.

BizzyBum

This OT almost hit the 3rd page. Get your shit together guys.

Also, I totally missed that boat for the $25 Gears 4 codes, right?

Trup1aya

I really wanna dive headfirst into gears and fh3... But I want that Achilles helmet more than I've ever wanted to unlock anything in a game... I have no idea why...

I really wanna dive headfirst into gears and fh3... But I want that Achilles helmet more than I've ever wanted to unlock anything in a game... I have no idea why...

If you want Achilles that much you should probably join a different company, I'm not even joking.

Top Bottom