• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

I saw a few pros using a similar setup during the HCS stream. Is this like some new secret control scheme that's awesome? I'm so used to mine that I'm hesitant to make any changes. Just looks weird reading it. lol

Not sure, either I've gotten god servers the last day or 2 or this is the GOAT setting.

Trup1aya

Flag pulling is a definite improvement.

It forces players to push otherwise the other team might beat get a sneaky pull.

My issue with it is it kinda makes it so that teams never have to cross the 50 yard line. If you successfully cover a teammate for a flag grab, you can just camp corners and shotgun anyone who tries to stop the score. If pushing was requires instead, I don't think it would be as much of an issue.

psyfi

Banned
My issue with it is it kinda makes it so that teams never have to cross the 50 yard line. If you successfully cover a teammate for a flag grab, you can just camp corners and shotgun anyone who tries to stop the score. If pushing was requires instead, I don't think it would be as much of an issue.
Yeah, that's what I've been seeing, too. It feels a lot less confrontational, intense, and interesting.

Yeah new breakout is worse than old breakout. Matches are a joke and shouldn't be ranked. It's kinda fun but only cause how easy it is plus flag capturing will always lead to two things grab it and capture it or grab it to lead out everybody and have your team pick them off while the enemy focuses on you.

Can anyone pm me the questions to the survey? super curious what they are asking and ive heard its a good one. Already signed up but I was to late for this last one. Will never tell a soul promise.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
yeah this.

You guys have to try and watch european proleague. They can't even set up scrims right now because the game is acting crazy since the last update in some places in europe.

Internet connections are a crutch. Get Gud Ice.

Welp my hate of Destiny has returned so it's back to Deus Ex and Halo for me.

EDIT: Also dropped the Discharge Hammer. I'm keeping my eye out on some people since they still post here, others I kicked to the curb. If you want back in send another request and I'll see if you're truly active. New peeps that want in are welcome so shoot a request as well. Have 9 openings right now, more later.

Fixing breakout is super obvious. It just needs a forced objective.

Have one team be attack, and one defense. This way, a team HAS to push and theres no boring stalemates like we saw back when it was a part of HCS.

And then of course get rid of shotties and radar. I think the map layouts are already pretty good.

I haven't played any Halo today, so I guess I should play.

Hmm someone is afk at the start of the match, oh whatever he should be back soon hopefully. The score is 10-30 when he finally starts playing.

Yup, I'm done. Fuck off.

Fixing breakout is super obvious. It just needs a forced objective.

Have one team be attack, and one defense. This way, a team HAS to push and theres no boring stalemates like we saw back when it was a part of HCS.

And then of course get rid of shotties and radar. I think the map layouts are already pretty good.

Just make it CSGO and call it a day. Even use the REQ system. I mean shit.

I haven't played any Halo today, so I guess I should play.

Hmm someone is afk at the start of the match, oh whatever he should be back soon hopefully. The score is 10-30 when he finally starts playing.

Yup, I'm done. Fuck off.

Report and block. All I seem to do these days.

EYEL1NER

I finally finished Silvers!!!
Oh well, I know I'll never gonna finish Golds, so that is a huge relief that I am finally done with Silvers. It will not be as fulfilling though, not getting to open good REQ packs anywhere near as often. But finally... And right before hitting SR80 too.

Just make it CSGO and call it a day. Even use the REQ system. I mean shit.

Report and block. All I seem to do these days.

it honestly could be like CSGO or COD's S&D and i'd be cool with that. It would still be different than those games because of no loadouts/money systems, movement, weapons on the map, and all other things Halo.

Get out of my twitch chats, you fucks.

Jokes on you, I live on twitch. Get off my property

it honestly could be like CSGO or COD's S&D and i'd be cool with that. It would still be different than those games because of no loadouts/money systems, movement, weapons on the map, and all other things Halo.

Jokes on you, I live on twitch. Get off my property

4B5rv0z.jpg

Welp my hate of Destiny has returned so it's back to Deus Ex and Halo for me.

EDIT: Also dropped the Discharge Hammer. I'm keeping my eye out on some people since they still post here, others I kicked to the curb. If you want back in send another request and I'll see if you're truly active. New peeps that want in are welcome so shoot a request as well. Have 9 openings right now, more later.
Well, I'll probably still be playing Destiny on Xbone for a few weeks. If you ever feel the urge and want to team up for a few, lemme know.

Trup1aya

Yeah new breakout is worse than old breakout. Matches are a joke and shouldn't be ranked. It's kinda fun but only cause how easy it is plus flag capturing will always lead to two things grab it and capture it or grab it to lead out everybody and have your team pick them off while the enemy focuses on you.

I always hear this, but in reality, rounds end all sorts of ways. I've had rounds where the flag is never touched. Rounds where a team dies trying to pull a flag, rounds where teams successfully cap a flag. Games where the flag ends of being bait. Rounds that end in ties, etc.

Slayer has been nice to me lately. Got up to 1616 as of right now. I've been jumping back and forth from finishing Gears 3 campaign and Halo 5 mp. i still think there is some type of input lag on gears 3 though.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i've been on a halo break since my elite shit the bed. waiting on replacement parts because i refuse to relearn the game again without the use of paddles. i miss youuuuu

If you had to pick one 4v4 map and 1 BTB map from each game what would it be?

My list:

Halo CE:
4v4 - Damnation
BTB - Sidewinder

Halo 2:
4v4 - Lockout
BTB - Zanzibar

Halo 3:
4v4: Narrows
BTB: Avalanche

Halo Reach:
4v4 - Countdown
BTB - Highlands

Halo 4:
4v4: Haven
BTB: Harvest

Halo 5:
4v4: Coliseum
BTB: Guillotine

IHaveIce

Banned
Do Forge maps count? Otherwise I really have to think this through, especially for Reach and Halo 4.

I refuse to name a Halo 5 btb map though.

If you had to pick one 4v4 map and 1 BTB map from each game what would it be?

Halo 2:
Arena - Lockout
BTB - Headlong

Halo 3:
Arena - Guardian
BTB - Avalanche

Reach:
Arena - Powerhouse
BTB - Ridgeline

Halo 5:
Arena - Coliseum
BTB - Guillotine

Don't care for CE or Halo 4's multiplayer modes. Didn't play enough of either to really get to know the maps, either.

Fuchsdh

I think Sidewinder is the only real BTB option from the original game, to be honest. The teleporter nonsense of CE's maps were rightfully abandoned in subsequent games. But it's got those great options for flag running. Avalanche was very much a dumbed-down remake in that it turned everything into outside vehicle battles and BR fights at the infantry chokepoint in the center.

psyfi

Banned
I need more friends from here who don't just play Warzone all the time. I can't tolerate that mess.

Also, I just realized I haven't played the Haven remake yet. What playlists is it in?

Halo CE:
4v4 - Battle Creek
BTB - Timberland

Halo 2:
4v4 - Lockout
BTB - Zanzibar

Halo 3:
4v4: Heretic
BTB: Longshore

Halo Reach:
4v4 - Countdown
BTB - Tempest

Halo 4:
BTB: didn't play

Halo 5:
BTB: none, all trash

Halo CE:
4v4 - Hang Em High
BTB - Blood Gulch

Halo 2:
4v4 - Sanctuary
BTB - Zanzibar

Halo 3:
4v4: The Pit
BTB: Valhalla

Halo Reach:
4v4 - Zealot
BTB - Boneyard

Halo 4:
BTB: Exile

Halo 5:
4v4: Eden
BTB: Basin

I think Sidewinder is the only real BTB option from the original game, to be honest. The teleporter nonsense of CE's maps were rightfully abandoned in subsequent games. But it's got those great options for flag running. Avalanche was very much a dumbed-down remake in that it turned everything into outside vehicle battles and BR fights at the infantry chokepoint in the center.

The outside was still a completely viable path for flag runs on Avalanche. I think it's actually better than the original. It had good vehicle lanes, but also offered infantry with a few options.

The U shaped map is way more viable in modern Halo though. Cross mapping only happens from power positions plus more of the map in infantry and vehicle friendly. The Blood Gulch-line has always been more popular, but the Sidewinder/Avalanche design is superior.

BizzyBum

I need more friends from here who don't just play Warzone all the time. I can't tolerate that mess.

Also, I just realized I haven't played the Haven remake yet. What playlists is it in?

Are you in the SC? I'm down to play Arena if you see me online.

Mercy is in Slayer and FFA for sure.

IHaveIce

Banned
Halo CE:
4v4 - Wizard
BTB - Sidewinder

Halo 2:
4v4 - Midship
BTB - Zanzibar

Halo 3:
4v4: Heretic (Is this cheating?) The Pit otherwise

Halo Reach:
4v4 - MLG Zealot (If only base maps count: Countdown)
BTB - Tempest (was there another BTB map that wasn't forged?

Halo 4:
4v4: Haven (If forge maps count Onyx)
BTB: Harvest (was it called Harvest?)

Halo 5:
BTB: There is no BTB in Halo 5

CE:
4v4: Battle Creek
BTB: Death Island

H2:
4v4: Ivory Tower
BTB: Zanzibar

H3:
4v4: Guardian

Reach:
4v4: Powerhouse
BTB: Tempest

H4:
4v4: Skyline
BTB: Exile

H5:
4v4: Overgrowth

BTB: Less than 60 fps

BizzyBum

I hope 343 adds some easy action sack game to destroy mongooses so I can finally finish all the vehicle comms.

Does stuff like that count in customs?

Fuchsdh

The U shaped map is way more viable in modern Halo though. Cross mapping only happens from power positions plus more of the map in infantry and vehicle friendly. The Blood Gulch-line has always been more popular, but the Sidewinder/Avalanche design is superior.

I'd probably agree. In general it seems like the best option for allowing infantry and vehicle play to comfortably coexist. Vehicles take the l long route, infantry the short route.

It's kind of funny going back to look back at Halo 4 BTB, while it was fun it certainly didn't have a very strong showing of maps until the DLC. Still interesting that it was the most popular mode when H4's arena-style maps are in my opinion much better.

Fuchsdh

I want some of whatever you're drinking.

Eh, I agree. The biggest weaknesses would be solved in H5—no camo DMRs to ping people from the rocks. It's also the only BTB map I think that degrades well down to a 4v4 size, although it was always really more of a 5v5 map.

Top Bottom