• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

If you had to pick one 4v4 map and 1 BTB map from each game what would it be?

Halo CE:
4v4 - Damnation
BTB - Timberland

Halo 2:
4v4 - Ivory Tower
BTB - Zanzibar

Halo 3:
4v4: Guardian
BTB: Avalanche

Halo Reach:
4v4 - Countdown
BTB - Tempest

Halo 4:
4v4: Haven
BTB: Longbow

Halo 5:
4v4: Truth
BTB: Estuary

TCKaos

A symmetrical map, with viable pathways and engagement opportunities for both on foot and vehicles, while making neither of them OP, AND it has decent base design and sightlines!?

Nope, map sucks.

EDIT: Talking about Harvest reminds me of the end of this video :O

Nice snapshot you fuck

Also

Halo CE:
4v4 - Chill Out
BTB - Blood Gulch

Halo 2:
4v4 - Turf
BTB - Terminal

Halo 3:
4v4: The Pit
BTB: High Ground

Halo Reach:
4v4 - Sword Base (Oddball lololololol)
BTB - Highlands

Halo 4:
4v4: Haven
BTB: Longbow (Dominion)

Halo 5:
4v4: Empire
BTB: Raid on Apex 7

Finally played the new Breakout. Don't know what I expected.

post-4263-I-expect-nothing-and-still-Im-OPyw.gif

Cranster

Banned
So some of the progress I made on achievements in MCC reset because 343i still hasn't bothered to continue to fix the game.

NOKYARD

The outside was still a completely viable path for flag runs on Avalanche. I think it's actually better than the original. It had good vehicle lanes, but also offered infantry with a few options.

The U shaped map is way more viable in modern Halo though. Cross mapping only happens from power positions plus more of the map in infantry and vehicle friendly. The Blood Gulch-line has always been more popular, but the Sidewinder/Avalanche design is superior.
Good to hear.

psyfi

Banned
Just played Mercy for the first time and... it's really really ugly? It's cool that they tried a new art style out, but man. Of all the things 343 is doing right now, they still haven't quite figured out map aesthetics.

Trup1aya

Just played Mercy for the first time and... it's really really ugly? It's cool that they tried a new art style out, but man. Of all the things 343 is doing right now, they still haven't quite figured out map aesthetics.

This is probably the first time I've seen anyone suggest that mercy was ugly

Karl2177

There's just too much going on. I think it looks great, but playing on it sucks because I'm not 100% sure if it's an enemy in the distance or part of the scenery. I was having this issue on the updated Entombed as well.

BizzyBum

I think it's easily the best looking Halo 5 map, but it does favor the red team.

Time for some Halo! Someone quits in the first few seconds and its 3v4…

Do I have the fucking worst luck in the world or something? Can I play a game that actually has even teams or people that aren’t afk. Next week can’t come fast enough.

BizzyBum

Do I have the fucking worst luck in the world or something? Can I play a game that actually has even teams or people that aren’t afk. Next week can’t come fast enough.

Just happened to me, too. We won though. :p

But yeah, solo arena is rough.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

That sucks.

I finally had some good luck last night. No quitters and won 6 in a row. Been a while.

Wow. Also an old school H2 sweep snipe in H5? Hot damn.

Halo CE:
4v4 - Battle Creek, 2 flags
BTB - Sidewinder, 2 flags

Halo 2:
4v4 - Zanzibar, 1 flag/bomb
BTB - Headlong, 1 flag/bomb

Halo 3:
4v4 - Valhalla, 2 flags/bombs
BTB - Standoff, 2 flags/bombs

Halo Reach:
4v4 - Tempest, 1 or 2 flags/bombs
BTB - Ridgeline, anything
FF - Installation 04
Invasion - Boneyard

Halo 4:
4v4 - Exile, 2 flags
BTB - Perdition, 2 flags

Halo 5:
4v4 - Torque, 2 flags/bombs
BTB - There's BTB in Halo 5?
WZ - Raid on Apex 7
FF - Attack on Sanctum

Got plat5 in breakout and never touching that again if it stays like this. It's alright but nothing to it, all matches are the same and boring. No comebacks that are notable and no cool plays.

Though did finally get the gunfighter magnum finally so hopefully the h2 br is near.

NeoBob688

So I don't have an Xbox One, I have been listening to a couple of tracks from the Halo 5 OST.

"Light Is Green" and "The Trials" .... those tracks are absolutely awesome. Is the whole OST this good?

Damn, there are people who don't love Simms? He's actually my favorite Halo caster. So hype. #SitDownSunshine
Of course it's personal opinion, but I prefer casters who bring something else other than an accent and being excited. There's a reason people enjoy T2 as a caster so much. He's knowledgeable about the game on a higher level, and brings that in addition to the play-by-play stuff.

Simms commentary comes off as talking for talking's sake. I'm sure he's a great guy and that's not my criticism. But hype without context that the average player can just figure out on their own is no big deal. I'll give you that he's great for reactions to plays, but not much else in my book.

Damn, there are people who don't love Simms? He's actually my favorite Halo caster. So hype. #SitDownSunshine

Yeah I really like Simms too.

His voice is highly satisfying for me to listen to...

Still think TSquared is one of the best technical casters / all-around packages though, and absolutely love Walshy as well.

belushy

Banned
Simms commentary comes off as talking for talking's sake. I'm sure he's a great guy and that's not my criticism. But hype without context that the average player can just figure out on their own is no big deal. I'll give you that he's great for reactions to plays, but not much else in my book.

I agree

psyfi

Banned
I like Simms alright. He comes off as more goofy than the other casters, which is usually cool, but it sometimes comes at the expense of more detailed and useful commentary. Goldenboy is good at finding a balance there I think. Cracks plenty of jokes, but also knows when to get serious and help the viewer follow what's happening.

In other news: holy shit I love Halo 5. It's been really cool coming back to it, Arena feels as good as ever. Some weapon placements were switched around since I last played, and I think they're all for the better. The maps have real lasting power, especially Coliseum, Truth, and Fathom. Literally the only things I don't like about Arena are spartan charges and the occasional quitters.

I really hope 343 doesn't mess with this formula too much. They nailed it. A higher base movement speed would be cool, even just a small one. Otherwise, it's perfect.

Can't we get some sort of Halo 5 post mortem? 343 hasn't really addressed some big issues for me, so im cautious if I want to invest anymore time in this franchise. If H6 will be H5 with more maps/content, then I'm out.

Top Bottom