• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

AtomicJorge best Halo caster confirmed!
in Mexico and LATAM
;)

giphy.gif

Cranster

Banned
Wut? Originally only h2a, decided to add every other game super late. 6 studios trying to Frankenstein 5 games together in 6 months. Didnt completely break in whatever test environment they had. Thought this was public knowledge.
That is obviously bullshit though as the MCC was crashing constantly at Pro-Tournaments and other preview events before launch. Frankie promised an in-depth explanation on what happened once the major issues got ironed out and here we are almost two years later with no explanation and the game still has technical issues which is unacceptable considering the money they made on MCC, Halo 5, and Halo 5's REQ system.

To be honest I am sick of 343i's silence on MCC and constant in your face promotion on Halo 5 ESports. I never gave a shit about MLG in the Bungie era and I still don't care about pro-gaming. What I do care about though is 343i either staying true to their word on MCC and giving me the fully functional product they promised me which they have yet to deliver.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Hi guys. I know this is the wrong thread, but I would love more than anything if 343 could remake halo reach or even just make it 1080p with improved frame rate. Its the greatest halo game of all time and my personal favourite fps.

Playing it with backward compatibility on xbox one is nearly unplayable due to terrible frame rate. Why this hasn't been added to the MC collection is beyond me.

Please make it happen Microsoft.

Can't we get some sort of Halo 5 post mortem? 343 hasn't really addressed some big issues for me, so im cautious if I want to invest anymore time in this franchise. If H6 will be H5 with more maps/content, then I'm out.

That is obviously bullshit though as the MCC was crashing constantly at Pro-Tournaments and other preview events before launch. Frankie promised an in-depth explanation on what happened once the major issues got ironed out and here we are almost two years later with no explanation and the game still has technical issues which is unacceptable considering the money they made on MCC, Halo 5, and Halo 5's REQ system.

To be honest I am sick of 343i's silence on MCC and constant in your face promotion on Halo 5 ESports. I never gave a shit about MLG in the Bungie era and I still don't care about pro-gaming. What I do care about though is 343i either staying true to their word on MCC and giving me the fully functional product they promised me which they have yet to deliver.

Rant time.

Yup, I’m about done with Halo 5. I’m just becoming more frustrated when I play and it’s obvious the changes I’d like to see aren’t going to happen. However, one thing that annoys me more than anything from 343i is their lack of communication. They are horrible at it, sure they might listen to the community but they don’t communicate that nor do they make changes players want. Perfect example is fucking Breakout. Out of nowhere they revamped Breakout. Nobody asked for this, nobody wanted this, it’s a bad/dead mode, and Breakout players find the old version to be superior. This just shows they don’t fucking listen at all, and are too busy trying to push their own agenda. Instead of wasting resources on a dead mode, how about you give the community what they asked for? Like when are you going to fix the lag on the BTB maps? Why the fuck don’t you tell us how long the fall season is? Why is BTB not pistol starts? Why is the matchmaking still horrible? Why aren’t there any other modes? Why aren’t there social modes like slayer? You guys get the point.

This upsets me because I really like the gameplay from H5. 343i did an excellent job when it comes to this regard. I can’t give them enough praise for making a Halo that feels better than any before it. However, their management of it has been completely subpar.

lol @ this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=45&v=t_bJg0XYdKs

Akai__

Rant time.

Yup, I’m about done with Halo 5. I’m just becoming more frustrated when I play and it’s obvious the changes I’d like to see aren’t going to happen. However, one thing that annoys me more than anything from 343i is their lack of communication. They are horrible at it, sure they might listen to the community but they don’t communicate that nor do they make changes players want. Perfect example is fucking Breakout. Out of nowhere they revamped Breakout. Nobody asked for this, nobody wanted this, it’s a bad/dead mode, and Breakout players find the old version to be superior. This just shows they don’t fucking listen at all, and are too busy trying to push their own agenda. Instead of wasting resources on a dead mode, how about you give the community what they asked for? Like when are you going to fix the lag on the BTB maps? Why the fuck don’t you tell us how long the fall season is? Why is BTB not pistol starts? Why is the matchmaking still horrible? Why aren’t there any other modes? Why aren’t there social modes like slayer? You guys get the point.

This upsets me because I really like the gameplay from H5. 343i did an excellent job when it comes to this regard. I can’t give them enough praise for making a Halo that feels better than any before it. However, their management of it has been completely subpar.

Post does a good job explaining how I currently feel, too.

Most frustrating thing is that I can't get back into Team Arena/Slayer, because I got a +1700 Onyx rank in June and the game now thinks that I'm still that good, after taking a break for a month. Sucks that MMR or even CSR doesn't deplete over time. And the MMR is bullshit anyways with these match-ups. I mean, whoever thought it would be fun to match up a 1700 Onyx guy against 9000 CSR people, should maybe take a look into the Matchmaking System. Stuff like this never happened when TrueSkill™ was still arround.

I'm just playing some BTB and try to have fun, these days. Did a Running Riot on a Gungoose, something I've never done before or thought was possible for me. Hopefully, they are going to acknowledge the date-mining leaks soon, because me and others will most likely move on soon, with games like Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2 and CoD IW + MWR releasing soon.

And yeah, that video is actually pretty good.

Karl2177

People have been saying 343i is shit at communication post-CEA. Remember when there was a major Halo 4 news drop, but Waypoint's main article was ship themed Forges? Or that 6 month period where the only Halo 4 news we got was a concept art trailer with music that might play in the game based on a music cue? Or 14 Day Buy and Play? Or how almost everything about Halo 4 pre-release was revealed through a magazine or website that had exclusivity periods that even prevented them from posting it on Waypoint? Or MCC in general? Halo 5 was an improvement, but like you pointed out decisions are being made with no warning or justification. Such is corporate Halo.

Rant time.

Ya i dont like the new breakout either. I liked it better with no shields. However i do like the map updates. Breakout is such a fun mode, i dont understand why no one is playing it.

Fuchsdh

Ya i dont like the new breakout either. I liked it better with no shields. However i do like the map updates. Breakout is such a fun mode, i dont understand why no one is playing it.

I think it's really just that if you suck, you can be sitting watching the screen for two minutes. Solution is "don't suck" and "teamwork" but obviously in solo matchmaking those variables are up in the air.

I think it's really just that if you suck, you can be sitting watching the screen for two minutes. Solution is "don't suck" and "teamwork" but obviously in solo matchmaking those variables are up in the air.

Well thats kinda the whole point of that mode. Slower paced, more tactical.

Fuchsdh

Well thats kinda the whole point of that mode. Slower paced, more tactical.

I agree, but I think that's why most people don't like it. *Shrug*. Elimination and Gun Games are the only things from CS I've ever wanted in Halo, so I'm happy we got it, even though it might just get demoted to a low profile game type in the next game.

At least we got Gun Game in Halo 4 thanks to modded game types.

Finally made it to Onyx in Arena Slayer. Pretty pumped about it. Had some super solid games last night, after my salty post on the previous page!

Rant time.

Right there with ya. Think I'll chill and enjoy cod4 and wait it out until destiny 2. I just don't think 343 gets it. A YEAR later and no "sell x" button, and the main draw is still "ESPORTS", till you realize radar, ARs, and crouching are now staples that people don't want (7k viewer ship for pro league in non optic matches). Been playing halo since age 7, and that might be coming to an end soon. H4, MCC, and h5 have soured Halo for me.

People have been saying 343i is shit at communication post-CEA. Remember when there was a major Halo 4 news drop, but Waypoint's main article was ship themed Forges? Or that 6 month period where the only Halo 4 news we got was a concept art trailer with music that might play in the game based on a music cue? Or 14 Day Buy and Play? Or how almost everything about Halo 4 pre-release was revealed through a magazine or website that had exclusivity periods that even prevented them from posting it on Waypoint? Or MCC in general? Halo 5 was an improvement, but like you pointed out decisions are being made with no warning or justification. Such is corporate Halo.

I want my JFO helmet back so that Big 343 Pharma will stop using their lizard people's weather machines to beam microtransactions into my brain.

It's not even if "you suck" so much as "if anyone on your team sucks". It's near impossible to enjoy (for me) without having a full party, because you get 1 random and you might as well not even try. The gametype might be fun in some regards, but it relies too much on people either not being terrible or you having a party.

EU Pro league is starting now for those bored at work and still like Halo.

You mean it would be if twitch was working right now?

Sanjuro

I've played practically every game solo queuing. You win some, you lose some.

The people I used to play Halo with just don't play the game anymore and the in-game community just isn't balanced enough to partner up with individuals.

Fuchsdh

It's not even if "you suck" so much as "if anyone on your team sucks". It's near impossible to enjoy (for me) without having a full party, because you get 1 random and you might as well not even try. The gametype might be fun in some regards, but it relies too much on people either not being terrible or you having a party.

You mean it would be if twitch was working right now?

I mean, I feel like that's always the case with Halo though. I enjoy myself even when I'm getting stomped but I realize that no one buys my "Zen and the Art of Enjoying Being Mediocre At Halo" books.

I mean, I feel like that's always the case with Halo though. I enjoy myself even when I'm getting stomped but I realize that no one buys my "Zen and the Art of Enjoying Being Mediocre At Halo" books.

It's the case to a certain extent with every gametype, sure. But unless you're playing Plat and below, there's realistically a 0% chance of winning a round if you have a shit teammate, whereas most other team based gametypes, you can at least attempt to subsidize the dead weight.

In other gametypes, when you "get stomped" you can still try and do well individually and have some fun. Not breakout. Not if you are in any way decent.

BizzyBum

Solo queuing would be way more enjoyable if the game didn't match you with teams of 3-4. Tightening up the ranking system for closer skill matchmaking would help too but that might be due to population and how they designed the MMR. Not like this is any new revelation, but just making this one change would help tremendously.

I feel like most of my arena games are either my team winning by a lot or the other team curb stomping us, there's very few close games. Quitters are still a big issue as always even though people can get banned. Nothing sucks more then playing on or against a team that's 3v4 or 2v4. Just a waste of time.

Sanjuro

It's the case to a certain extent with every gametype, sure. But unless you're playing Plat and below, there's realistically a 0% chance of winning a round if you have a shit teammate, whereas most other team based gametypes, you can at least attempt to subsidize the dead weight.

In other gametypes, when you "get stomped" you can still try and do well individually and have some fun. Not breakout. Not if you are in any way decent.

What kind of math did you use to reach this 0% conclusion?

What kind of math did you use to reach this 0% conclusion?

I dunno. Actual experience maybe? Maybe because I've actually placed in breakout and played against other high level players this year (unlike half of the people in this discussion)?

Shouldn't that be a requisite to me discussing the high-level play? I said "realistically" 0%. Sure, occasionally your team will win a round, out-numbered. Looking at my stats from the last time breakout was ranked (playing against diamond-champ players), out of 25 matches (minimum 125 rounds), there were a total of 2 "fecta" medals. 2.

Statistically speaking, the impact of the possibility is negligible. There's a reason why they got rid of breakout in HCS. Many times, you'd die to some random grenade, then the rest of the round, your team just hopes for a tie (which only requires one person to live) or some absurd flanking play. Breakout matches on stream were mostly watching people watch a sightline and maintain the tie possibility.

TCKaos

I dunno. Actual experience maybe? Maybe because I've actually placed in breakout and played against other high level players this year (unlike half of the people in this discussion)?

Shouldn't that be a requisite to me discussing the high-level play? I said "realistically" 0%. Sure, occasionally your team will win a round, out-numbered. Looking at my stats from the last time breakout was ranked (playing against diamond-champ players), out of 25 matches (minimum 125 rounds), there were a total of 2 "fecta" medals. 2.

Statistically speaking, the impact of the possibility is negligible. There's a reason why they got rid of breakout in HCS. Many times, you'd die to some random grenade, then the rest of the round, your team just hopes for a tie (which only requires one person to live) or some absurd flanking play. Breakout matches on stream were mostly watching people watch a sightline and maintain the tie possibility.

To chime in the only time offensive plays ever work in Breakout is when you have a full party that you can use to communicate the positions of the enemy to coordinate a flanking play, otherwise you're going to be sprinting around corners and getting your shit pushed in or meticulously attempting to find a sightline that isn't being camped that you can use to flank.

They need to improve the aiming for Halo 6. The settings we can change are great, but it still doesn't feel as smooth as previous games.

Now that my two big assignments are done and bailed out of the shithole that is ROI Destiny progression I'm diving back to Halo.

Then I remembered that

S O L O Q

S U C K S.

psyfi

Banned
I plan on playing for at least at little bit daily for the foreseeable future. Spam me invites till I accept or block you. PS: Sorry I ignored your invite yesterday YourExWife, I only had time for one more match and figured I'd tough it out with randoms again.

I plan on playing for at least at little bit daily for the foreseeable future. Spam me invites till I accept or block you. PS: Sorry I ignored your invite yesterday YourExWife, I only had time for one more match and figured I'd tough it out with randoms again.

No excuses

Madness

So many pros even say they hate playing the game solo, especially Ogre2. Solo queuing is the worst in this game. Either bonehead teammates or straight quitters.

Go from fun games with everybody to the servers not working, party giving up on me and unable to start one so that's it for tonight. Gg everybody and we manged to win every btb game we played so overall a good day.

Top Bottom