• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Yeah it's not uncommon. I wonder how big the remaining population must be.

It can’t be that large. I'm constantly seeing the same players in Arena modes all the time, maybe WZ is faring better. However, Gears comes out tomorrow, BF 1 comes out next week, TF 2 comes out a week after that, and CoD is a week later. So yeah…

It can’t be that large. I'm constantly seeing the same players in Arena modes all the time, maybe WZ is faring better. However, Gears comes out tomorrow, BF 1 comes out next week, TF 2 comes out a week after that, and CoD is a week later. So yeah…

Yeah I normally stay inbetween onyx and diamond teir but my more try hard buddies are definitely starting to recognize the champs names. Hell, they've champed in a couple of the easier modes like breakout and swat. But it's simply lack of competition. I personally don't like jumping between different fps myself but I don't see the population recovering any time soon.

I hate Mercy.

Whaaaaat. I mean I wish it was a sword instead of hammer on the map but getting fifteen hammer kills per game and using the grav lifts with thruster is still super satisfying.

Yeah, Mercy is terrible. I'd rather play Riptide.

psyfi

Banned
About to hop on, someone play Arena with me.

Probably has to do with your level. I'm never regularly encountering people in Plat.

It's lonely at the top :p
I'm at Plat 6 right now and I see the same people over and over in a given session. There's a mix of other people too, but it's common to get matched back up with the same names.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm lagging all over the place. Every game I tried had massive lag spikes. My last game ended 4-1 because the other team all quit, idk maybe they all lagged out.

psyfi

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but I'm lagging all over the place. Every game I tried had massive lag spikes. My last game ended 4-1 because the other team all quit, idk maybe they all lagged out.
Most my games were good tonight, but it started getting really bad an hour ago or so for me.

Yeah it's not uncommon. I wonder how big the remaining population must be.

Arena is ALREADY Halo 4 levels of bad population, the next 4 weeks have every major game releasing. Warzone is doing well though.

I've been playing Gears for a few days now. Still absolutely dreadful at it.

Nothing has changed really. Most of the weapons don't do enough damage, so it becomes a rolling and charging shotgun battlefest.

wut? I thought the casual MP has faster kill times and that new SMG gun that introduces more gunfights/midrange battle?

NOKYARD

oooh nice!

dang, that looks really good

Disgusting

Yooo, this looks fantastic.

It was cool to see this map progress, I've been searching for the bookmark and flying through it. Avalanche is my favorite BTB map and you did it justice.

Thanks.

The last bookmark is from 2 weeks ago. We have made great advances since then but have stopped bookmarking it and turned off the search feature. It's nice to be able to hide your WiP maps and keep players out until it's complete.

Sanjuro

wut? I thought the casual MP has faster kill times and that new SMG gun that introduces more gunfights/midrange battle?

None of this is true. Like another poster mentioned, they did add different loadouts at the start of the match. The end result is still the same.

I suppose if you have a well organized and some stupid E-Sports team yelling out commands. For the average game, everyone reverts to the shotgun from my experience so far.

Strider

I stayed up way too late playing Gears last night and the "everyone only uses shotguns" isn't even close to my experience so far.

And those that did try and abuse shotty it was really easy to just punish them with the Lancer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gears 4 being my first in the series... my initial impressions are very strong

Anyway we OT as fuck now. Halo something something
pistols BTB
something

Sanjuro

And those that did try and abuse shotty it was really easy to just punish them with the Lancer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gears 4 being my first in the series...

I'm going to attribute this to being your first experience with the game. The Lancer doesn't do shit when you are up close in a shotgun battle, unless you are able to catch them in a chainsaw animation.

Strider

I'm going to attribute this to being your first experience with the game. The Lancer doesn't do shit when you are up close in a shotgun battle, unless you are able to catch them in a chainsaw animation.

rofl

no fucking shit the shotgun dominates close range and you should pull it out when you're in close

All I'm saying is not everyone is just running around with one from my experience and if they are it's really not that difficult to kill them before they reach you.

"Everyone reverts to the shotgun" is not my experience at all.

Sanjuro

I've been playing this game for days now and have played every other entry in the series. I feel the other weapons still work well if your team has a support structure in place, but the experience is very much the same. I think that was the intention of this game anyway.

Strider

I've been playing this game for days now and have played every other entry in the series. I feel the other weapons still work well if your team has a support structure in place, but the experience is very much the same. I think that was the intention of this game anyway.

Fresh eyes to a series is not always bad tho. My friend actually pointed out last night that "it's probably a good thing your new to Gears so you won't use the shotgun as much" ... Basically pointing out that vets would probably lean on it too much. As with any arena shooter the enemy has to adapt to your style tho. Make a conscious effort to use your own shotgun less and play a more midrange game and see if the game loop feels better for you. If not well.... at least you gave it an honest try.

--

Also of note I'd kill for a social playlist like the one in Gears for H5 (or at least H6 pls).

Almost all the playlists are ranked but the one social playlist keeps lobbies together between rounds and has a variety of gamemodes with map/gametype voting. It's really easy to just move from game to game with the same lobby and group up with folks you meet if you want (ya know... like past halo games).

It's still such a shame to me they dropped the ball so hard on the casual/social side for arena. I really thought we'd have that addressed by now. Ranked is great and having the game play designed for competitive play was also an extremely good thing for H5... But forcing ranked 24/7 sucks.

But we gotta play the "real game" right guys?!?!?!?! :/

Sanjuro

I wouldn't say the enemy has to adapt to your style much in this game. Unless you have a sniper rifle, the other weapons don't do enough damage long-mid range. You basically are a glorified assist-man OR you might be lucky and catch someone off guard and down him. Once downed, there is a high probability he is out of sight, someone can revive that player, and your weapon does not generate enough damage to hurt the player that is assisting his teammate.

Now when you sit back and reflect on your actions, you are low on ammo.

Trup1aya

I wouldn't say the enemy has to adapt to your style much in this game. Unless you have a sniper rifle, the other weapons don't do enough damage long-mid range. You basically are a glorified assist-man OR you might be lucky and catch someone off guard and down him. Once downed, there is a high probability he is out of sight, someone can revive that player, and your weapon does not generate enough damage to hurt the player that is assisting his teammate.

Now when you sit back and reflect on your actions, you are low on ammo.

I dunno man, are you active reloading? Team shooting.

Upclose, the shotgun will always rain supreme, and since waist high cover breaks sightlines, there will always be limitations to the effectiveness of rifles at range, but when you use all resources at hand you see that everything has a purpose.

Sanjuro

I dunno man, are you active reloading? Team shooting.

Upclose, the shotgun will always rain supreme, and since waist high cover breaks sightlines, there will always be limitations to the effectiveness of rifles at range, but when you use all resources at hand you see that everything has a purpose.

Yis.

Velcoro

Nah it's definitely not just you. I live on the East Coast and it's really random. Some games it feels incredible. No heavy reticle, every shot registers, no players skipping, and everything feels smooth. Then there's games where it's the total opposite.

NOKYARD

Interesting, could you elaborate on that? I can't possibly imagine how.

The pic i posted above proves how precise Halo 3 FORGE could be. The pic shows the pixel-perfect alignment between 4 Columns from the map Crackle. Examining the map in Halo 3 shows the full available inventory of columns are perfectly aligned in the same manner with absolutely zero variation.

Further, each base on the map is made of several T-Walls which are so perfectly aligned they ALL Z-fight, on both sides of the map (180 degree rotation).

Everyone knows this level of precision is impossible due to the Earthquake Glitch (rounding and/or truncating decimal places on coordinates to fit fixed variable sizes) so i used the Earthquake Glitch to my advantage. Very early in Halo 3 Forge i discovered that the Earthquake Glitch would take your perfectly placed item and shift it into one of 2 (or 4 or 8) different positions, and would be consistent for each similar item placed.

I carefully placed each item so it would shift INTO exactly the position i wanted. Each item placed would require extensive setup using floating Spawn Zone Markers (which are immutable) and bracing, combined with 2 to 20 Save/Quit/Load cycles per item. Every floor on every Grifball court prior to Halo 5 has been constructed in this manner.

All games since have had the Earthquake Glitch but none have allowed you to use it to your advantage as well as Halo 3 did.

The pic i posted above proves how precise Halo 3 FORGE could be. The pic shows the pixel-perfect alignment between 4 Columns from the map Crackle. Examining the map in Halo 3 shows the full available inventory of columns are perfectly aligned in the same manner with absolutely zero variation.

Further, each base on the map is made of several T-Walls which are so perfectly aligned they ALL Z-fight, on both sides of the map (180 degree rotation).

Everyone knows this level of precision is impossible due to the Earthquake Glitch (rounding and/or truncating decimal places on coordinates to fit fixed variable sizes) so i used the Earthquake Glitch to my advantage. Very early in Halo 3 Forge i discovered that the Earthquake Glitch would take your perfectly placed item and shift it into one of 2 (or 4 or 8) different positions, and would be consistent for each similar item placed.

I carefully placed each item so it would shift INTO exactly the position i wanted. Each item placed would require extensive setup using floating Spawn Zone Markers (which are immutable) and bracing, combined with 2 to 20 Save/Quit/Load cycles per item. Every floor on every Grifball court prior to Halo 5 has been constructed in this manner.

All games since have had the Earthquake Glitch but none have allowed you to use it to your advantage as well as Halo 3 did.

Incredible... I always figured much work went into getting those Halo 3 Forge maps perfect given the clunky controls, but that goes beyond my wildest guess. It seems that good forgers are some of the most patient people in the world, or at least in the Halo community ;)

Cause I love you dudes/dudettes, I wanted one of you to be the first to get a crack at this. I already have Gears 2 digitally, and I have an extra code for it. Who wants it? First to PM me gets it.

It's still such a shame to me they dropped the ball so hard on the casual/social side for arena. I really thought we'd have that addressed by now. Ranked is great and having the game play designed for competitive play was also an extremely good thing for H5... But forcing ranked 24/7 sucks.

But we gotta play the "real game" right guys?!?!?!?! :/
Blame Quinn.

Top Bottom