• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Being able to hear a vested audience at a Halo tourney is making this more watchable than I thought.

Most Wanted came to play apparently.

shit, i kind of expected as much :/

Nv certainly has a good chance to dethrone Optic, but they're kind of inconsistent so far.

hoping it's just that the team is new and they need to gel / find their groove together, but when they click they really click.

Trup1aya

lethul was asked by strongside after the match why he thinks rammy wasn't picked up by any pro leagues and his answer basically came down to "pro team cliques"

Yikes, definitely not the answer any amateurs want to hear. lol

The HCS structure really needs to put more emphasis on open competition.

Segmenting the Pros from the AMs so heavily just reinforces the cliquey behavior.

This season was a small step in the right direction. hopefully next season they have more LANs, in better locations, with better prize pools.

BizzyBum

The HCS structure really needs to put more emphasis on open competition.

Segmenting the Pros from the AMs so heavily just reinforces the cliquey behavior.

This season was a small step in the right direction. hopefully next season they have more LANs, in better locations, with better prize pools.

Gotta give it to something like Gears 4, they seem to have a great eSports system in place.

Trup1aya

Gotta give it to something like Gears 4, they seem to have a great eSports system in place.

Gears 4 system sounds PERFECT.

Of course, that game has offline MP support, so that setup is more viable logistically.

It would be nice if Halo5 would get some sort of server app, that could allow for offline MP.

SaganIsGOAT

Wowza, reinstalled Reach after hearing about the new update. 😮. Well done to everyone involved in this update. The game feels great again! GOAT campaign time 🙌🙌🙌

Sanjuro

Wowza, reinstalled Reach after hearing about the new update. 😮. Well done to everyone involved in this update. The game feels great again! GOAT campaign time 🙌🙌🙌

Does it run at a normal frame rate?

Gears still has some issues. Only played a little bit, but couldn't get a solid game yet.

Gears still has some issues. Only played a little bit, but couldn't get a solid game yet.

Heard its better than what the 360 was outputting...

360 with frame dips at 20fps ..
Xbox one bc same spot at 30fps....(idk for the rest of the game)

Crazy.

Karl2177

I played a game of Firefight on Beachhead without any hitches. The real test will be playing a game of FRGfight on Glacier and seeing if the frame rate tanks like it did on the 360 version.

SaganIsGOAT

Yup, they really fixed this game. Every encounter feels tight and right at 30fps. So good. I honestly never expected this game to be fixed. I never expected that any of the updates that were made to fix it would work to this degree. 💯

Madness

I would pay to have a Reach remastered campaign running at 1080p/60fps with visual fidelity upgrades. H3A with Reach campaign remaster for Scorpio launch, ship it.

Strider

I would pay to have a Reach remastered campaign running at 1080p/60fps with visual fidelity upgrades. H3A with Reach campaign remaster for Scorpio launch, ship it.

I think one game at a time is good from now on...

I'll take H3A but if they skip it and go right to H6 that's cool too.

I don't know if it's just me, but the adjustment in the MCC, be it 60FPS or just formatting for higher resolution feels off in CE and 2.

I just want pixel perfect variants of both. :'(

Both CE and 2 in MCC are Windows builds which have some really big differences from their Xbox counterparts, especially CE.

psyfi

Banned
duuuuude Minotaurs might be my favorite ever mini game

edit: and RIFT BALL even though I'm terrible at it

edit 2: and HUSKY RAID what kind of name is that tho

I've been reading the new Halo Fractures book and just got to The Ballad of Hamish Beamish. Did that poor bastard really live off nails for ten years? How did he cut the other passengers nails or hair if they were cryo? Why not go full cannibal at that point?

What the fuck Frank. 10/10 best tale in the book so far.

I've been reading the new Halo Fractures book and just got to The Ballad of Hamish Beamish. Did that poor bastard really live off nails for ten years? How did he cut the other passengers nails or hair if they were cryo? Why not go full cannibal at that point?

What the fuck Frank. 10/10 best tale in the book so far.

Probably just some kind of time dilation effect? No way it is ten years.

Madness

I think one game at a time is good from now on...

I'll take H3A but if they skip it and go right to H6 that's cool too.

But again, just like H2A and Halo CEA, they would get a different studio to do it. Remember MCC was largely a multiplayer disaster. I dont necessarily want Reach multiplayer back. With the power of Scorpio, they could probably remaster Halo 3's campaign to 1440/60fps or even 4k/60fps if the visual fidelity isn't too crazy. They would theoretically only do one multiplayer and Reach campaign remaster would be no different than how they improved H4 or ODST etc. I'm saying they could sweeten the H3A deal with something like that. Halo 6 isn't coming before 2018, and with Halo Wars 2 this year and Halo 5 declining, they have to have something for next year when yet another CoD is released, another Battlefront etc.

Yup, they have to have something for 4Q of 2017. This is why I believe H3A is going to happen; it’s the 10th anniversary, plus there is that Blur H3 picture in the Mythos. It’s most likely just going to be the campaign with some multiplayer maps and extras for H5.

FyreWulff

I played a game of Firefight on Beachhead without any hitches. The real test will be playing a game of FRGfight on Glacier and seeing if the frame rate tanks like it did on the 360 version.

Also have to check certain forge variants. I know on a couple i tested when i had access toa One last, you could see individual frames.

Glacier is definitely the worst case scenario. The framerate was so unstable on that map that it was even left out of the Firefight playlist originally.

Strider

But again, just like H2A and Halo CEA, they would get a different studio to do it. Remember MCC was largely a multiplayer disaster. I dont necessarily want Reach multiplayer back. With the power of Scorpio, they could probably remaster Halo 3's campaign to 1440/60fps or even 4k/60fps if the visual fidelity isn't too crazy. They would theoretically only do one multiplayer and Reach campaign remaster would be no different than how they improved H4 or ODST etc. I'm saying they could sweeten the H3A deal with something like that. Halo 6 isn't coming before 2018, and with Halo Wars 2 this year and Halo 5 declining, they have to have something for next year when yet another CoD is released, another Battlefront etc.

I dont care for logic. One game at a time pls lol

--

Ya know I originally was ok with them passing on H3A but given the play anywhere program I really want it actually. I think I would really enjoy the older Halo games with kb/m since there's no sprint and thrust. Whereas Halo 6 I'd rather play on Xbox assuming both of those abilities return.

At a certain point keyboards feel clunky to me in fps games once I reach a certain number of hotkeys.

I know I'd have the option to play with a controller on PC but who knows if they'll include aim assist/magnetism in their first game actually built for windows. Maybe it wouldn't be an issue but some games kb/m users have been able to abuse that and get those benefits as well.

Akai__

The new Breakout is okay'ish. Still not as good as anything else in this game, but pretty good to do stupid shit with 3 other friends.

Also playing Halo 5 right after I play R6 Siege and Halo 5 on PC, makes me want to pull my hair out:

• Controller settings are still garbage.
  • I got a 40-60ms ping in every R6 Siege game so far. In Halo 5, it's at least over 100ms due to the simple fact of playing against people from other continents.
  • Server Tickrates are terrible.

Yup, they have to have something for 4Q of 2017. This is why I believe H3A is going to happen; it’s the 10th anniversary, plus there is that Blur H3 picture in the Mythos. It’s most likely just going to be the campaign with some multiplayer maps and extras for H5.

I'm not gonna get hyped about a potential Halo 3 Anniversary and themed pack for H5, based on a picture, though. Not until it's confirmed, anyways. Will I be excited when it actually happens? Possibly.

All we know for 2017 is Halo Wars 2 and it's 6 months of support.

BizzyBum

Ya know I originally was ok with them passing on H3A but given the play anywhere program I really want it actually. I think I would really enjoy the older Halo games with kb/m since there's no sprint and thrust. Whereas Halo 6 I'd rather play on Xbox assuming both of those abilities return.

At a certain point keyboards feel clunky to me in fps games once I reach a certain number of hotkeys.

I know I'd have the option to play with a controller on PC but who knows if they'll include aim assist/magnetism in their first game actually built for windows. Maybe it wouldn't be an issue but some games kb/m users have been able to abuse that and get those benefits as well.

I'll probably do the same thing I'm doing with Gears 4: campaign on the PC and multiplayer on Xbox.

Fuchsdh

The problem is I don't see any way they could do a Halo 3 remaster to the same level as CEA/H2A because of the 360's use of multiple cores, and the fact that they've said there aren't going to be Scorpio-exclusive games.

I'm a Reach kid all day. There was something so good about how close quarters was actually really effective in that game. Probably due to bloom on the DMR and a myriad of other things but I haven't felt that masterful with an Energy Sword since then. I miss my slice n dice medals.

psyfi

Banned
The Reach campaign did nothing for me somehow. I loved the art, but that's about it. But these days the only campaigns I really enjoy are CE and ODST.

I'd still pick Reach over 3 or 4.

Over 3?

WxV97.gif
WxV97.gif
WxV97.gif

wwm0nkey

Its just I played MP and it was just uncomfortable playing at 30FPS and the bloom was just as dumb as it was back then, I have no idea how I put that much time into the game

wwm0nkey

We all know before halo 5, Halo
had the best mp.

before all the haxx that occurred.

hacks did ruin Halo 2 post level 25-30, but I remember sometimes getting the really fun ones on Containment where you could fly the Specture turrets and it was basically some Star Wars shit lol

Halo 5 has been out for like a year, so it's list time
again.

Multiplayer

CE
Reach

I would have put 5 at one if it weren't for the lack of modes, plus all the other things I complain about regularly, and if it had
BTB pistol starts.

Campaign (also includes story quality)

ODST
CE
Reach

jem0208

We doing this again?

MP:

1. 5
2. 3
3. 2
4. 4
5. Reach

Campaign gameplay:

1. 5
2. 3
3. CE
4. 2
5. 4
6. Reach

Campaign story:

1. 2
2. 4
3. Reach
4. CE
5. 3
6. 5

Didn’t really play enough CE mp to judge it.

SaganIsGOAT

Did this last night. I'm not sure if its a placebo effect or not, but Glacier felt better than it ever did on 360. Also, the lag you'd get when zooming sometimes feels like its gone. It's crazy how much better it all feels.

BTM

Not sure if anyone else is watching, but amateur squad Most Wanted was up on NV 2-0 but NV has come back and won the series 3-2. MW did look pretty good yesterday.

I'm a Reach kid all day. There was something so good about how close quarters was actually really effective in that game. Probably due to bloom on the DMR and a myriad of other things but I haven't felt that masterful with an Energy Sword since then. I miss my slice n dice medals.
Uploaded some Reach gameplay if anyone's interested in how it runs. Got 28 kills lol, and there's some good ol' Sword and Hologram action.
Did this last night. I'm not sure if its a placebo effect or not, but Glacier felt better than it ever did on 360. Also, the lag you'd get when zooming sometimes feels like its gone. It's crazy how much better it all feels.
Played it last night too; felt good.

BizzyBum

Not sure if anyone else is watching, but amateur squad Most Wanted was up on NV 2-0 but NV has come back and won the series 3-2. MW did look pretty good yesterday.

I've been busy so I haven't been watching today but that would have been embarrassing if they lost 3-0 to them.

I can't rank the campaign's because I honestly don't even remember much from them but my MP ranks are:

1. 2
2. 5
3. 3
4. CE
5. 4
6. Reach

Reach was dogshit.

Ok I'll play...

MP:
1. 5
2. CE
3. 2
4. 3
5. 4
6. Reach

Campaign:
1. CE
2. 4
3. Reach
4. 3
5. 5
6. ODST
7. 2

I can't rank the campaign's because I honestly don't even remember much from them

lol, i kind of agree with you...

people make a huge fuss about Halo campaigns [and give 343 a lot of shit for apparently ruining them], but i always found them pretty lame / forgettable / non-events.

Multiplayer:

1. 3 (5/5)
2. 2 (5/5)
3. 5 (4/5)
4. CE (3/5)
5. 4 (2/5)
6. Reach (2/5)

Campaign (Level Design):

1. 3 (5/5)
2. 2 (5/5)
3. CE (4/5)
4. 5 (4/5)
5. Reach (4/5)
6. ODST (4/5)
7. 4 (3/5)

Campaign (Story):

1. 4 (5/5)
2. ODST (5/5)
3. 2 (5/5)
4. CE (4/5)
5. 3 (3/5)
6. Reach (3/5)
7. 5 (2/5)

Halo 4 barely beat out Reach for multiplayer, so thank Haven and zero/low bloom.

Top Bottom