• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

mo60

This was an insanely close CTF match I played over the weekend. All my other CTF matches were shutouts(win or lose).
Screenshot-Original.png

Just recognized that one of the players on the enemy team was iZiggyyy.

nah, it's just on a short gears break.

i'm sure numbers will take some hits throughout the november release season, but i can 99% guarantee most people will come back once they've distracted themselves for a bit.

[halo 5 da best / da beast]

Welfare

I have been getting into more games recently (Star Trek Online, Hawken) and thinking of getting Destiny back, so my Halo time has gone down but I still try and get a few games in. Hopefully 343 has a good content road map for 2017.

Halo is now not my main focus anymore. Now it's halo gears and overwatch (just until the end of October) going to get at least 3 games a day in warzone assualt and maybe more if a group is going and none of my friends are on. Still love halo but I can't play just it. Am enjoying gears way too much for me to just play halo.

Hopefully a new game type of content comes out soon so I can focus on halo more

I have been getting into more games recently (Star Trek Online, Hawken) and thinking of getting Destiny back, so my Halo time has gone down but I still try and get a few games in. Hopefully 343 has a good content road map for 2017.

I think it's called "Buy Halo Wars 2"

Also of note I'd kill for a social playlist like the one in Gears for H5 (or at least H6 pls).

Almost all the playlists are ranked but the one social playlist keeps lobbies together between rounds and has a variety of gamemodes with map/gametype voting. It's really easy to just move from game to game with the same lobby and group up with folks you meet if you want (ya know... like past halo games).

It's still such a shame to me they dropped the ball so hard on the casual/social side for arena. I really thought we'd have that addressed by now. Ranked is great and having the game play designed for competitive play was also an extremely good thing for H5... But forcing ranked 24/7 sucks.

But we gotta play the "real game" right guys?!?!?!?! :/

I have to agree, my circle of friends who are competitive but have never liked MLG maps or settings since H2 online simply don't play H5. They barely played after completing the campaign and would return for about a week of each major content release e.g. FF. However I've lost my LAN buddies in terms of H5 online and objective/BTB friends completely with H5. I/we love H5 in terms of weapons, REQs, ranks, sandbox of movement etc but the playlists, maps and gameplay settings are totally Arena/MLG focused and it's turned a core of more than a dozen Halo players for 10+ years away. Guys and gals who play near daily and have for a decade.

I'm much the same as them but can handle Arena more than them, within Aus it's a tight group and you hit a solo/buddy ceiling rather quickly in ranked. WZ is fun and many features I like but that element of having impact on the game outcome and rolling with a team of buddies is straight up gone these days.

Where's 4v4, 5v5, or 8v8 without tight arena maps or full blown WZ? There's elements to core Halo than fans of old are missing. Whether 343i have stats that WZ/FF was so successful it means the end of developing 1 sided games or BTB dev maps I have no clue, it would be nice for an article or blog or ViDoc about this matter. All I can see is here's a core of gamertags friends of mine that have played 1,000s if not 10,000s of Halo MM games together for more than 10 years that aren't playing Halo 5 because of the super arena focus of map design and rank 24/7.

We still play games like Destiny in multiple RAID groups, it's not their available time being the issue. *It's not just Gears4 either, this is a regular chat party discussion within our group(s).

Ozzy Onya A2Z
MercilessPat
Curse III
BrokenSquirrel
I r Shiny
Eliturat
Never Ever Be
TorturousSarge
www JIM JIM www
THOMSY Aus
x Element88 x
MercilessReconz
xXXx LIZEY xXXx
Queenslandar
KINGSLANDAR
T1MT3K
ZachaMan
DMS Mythic
Scootablues
spartanrodzilla
Tolack
xII SLAY3R IIx

I'd recommend 343 review these tags over the life of H2 to H5 online see what playlists, maps and settings we/individuals played. It might give you some great metrics for what's missing. Likely you're already consciously aware of this through development decisions anyhow.

Will be buying this one, hopefully the units limit is more than doubled.

psyfi

Banned
I don't care about any of the new shooters coming out. I'll keep playing Halo, plus some Overwatch and single player stuff on the side.

belushy

Banned
I'm starting to play more Overwatch as well. Love it right now. I want Halo 5 PC to succeed but right now its a waiting game for the custom games browser. Once that comes I'll try Halo 5 PC out again. I doubt I'll play much on console again.

I don't care about any of the new shooters coming out. I'll keep playing Halo, plus some Overwatch and single player stuff on the side.

pretty much how i feel.

titanfall 2 was a huge letdown, and that was the only real threat on the horizon [logged nearly 900 hours in TF1 on PC]

Nowise10

And I think I'm done with Halo 5 for a good long while once more. Get on the game to relax, but instead get abused and tossed around because of 343's design.

See you guys in a couple months! Hopefully BTB will be magnum starts, vehicle physics won't suck, and their be balances in place in Matchmaking by then

And I think I'm done with Halo 5 for a good long while once more. Get on the game to relax, but instead get abused and tossed around because of 343's design.

See you guys in a couple months! Hopefully BTB will be magnum starts, vehicle physics won't suck, and their be balances in place in Matchmaking by then

They aren’t going to fix any of that.

If they were going to do pistol starts they would have done it by now. Their silence tells all. They aren’t going to do it plain and simple. The vehicle physics aren’t going to get change, and the matchmaking will probably get worse because the pop is just going to keep getting smaller.

I’m honestly just waiting until BF 1 and after that I’m just going uninstall this (I’ll quit the SC when I do, so don’t worry about that). I like this game and I want it to be good, but it’s just not worth the trouble anymore.

m23

Can't wait for this game. Recently cancelled Titanfall 2 and upgraded Halo Wars to ultimate edition. Early access with season pass that has a campaign expansion...for only $20 more? Sign me up.

Gears 4 multiplayer is so damn good.

Only played act 1 so far, that prologue was something great. Might hop on some mp tonight, loved the beta so I'm assuming I'm going to love it.

I mean speaking how fast you get in a game and how most matches are hardly laggy at all it is great. When talking about who they put you against and with is another matter entirely.

That's not another matter. That's part of the matchmaking and the process. This game has bad matchmaking if you have somewhat high mmr. However, the majority of the people probably don't have high mmr, they probably have the opposite. This is why people are like, oh the matchmaking is great because they don't get shit on by Champion premades every other game because they are probably Gold and they don't see it.

Whatever, this is my last rant about it. I just uninstalled it and quit the SC. So you guys don't have to listen to me anymore. Good luck on the quest for Achilles.

I also have to chime in and say the reason i or any of my friends havent been playing halo 5 is the same reasoning... the playlist management and mode selection just isnt there. lacking a real btb mode and social playlists just makes arena frustrating and punishing for people who dont want to try hard all the time.

halo 5 is the best halo mechanically to us, but the fact that the only choice really is ranked or warzone with no inbetween / big team, is a huge let down. We are another decently sized group of players that played halo very consistently through all of its form. I hope 343 will keep the core of halo 5 going forward but seriously reconsider trying to cram too much "new" stuff into halo 6. Refine what you already have and get the stuff back in that was lost in terms of game modes and playlists. Dont create some ambitious huge new thing like warzone at the cost of the time you need to get the things the franchise is known for in the game.

I dont know what is to blame for the lack of so many halo staple features / modes in halo 5, maybe its making the new engine and having to re tool a ton of things from scratch... whatever is the case, Make the game with the staple great things halo should have in it first then in the game after start adding the big ambitious new stuff. Or even through dlc.

Look at gears 4 for example. no one is complaining that it is essentially gears 3 improved with a new story. It has all the core and things people loved and expect from gears. The mechanics have been refined and improved with new tweaks. The game modes are intact + a few new ones. The next game will probably refine on that further while adding new ambitious stuff to the mix.

Halo 5 refined the gameplay and improved it, got a new story, but everything else is mixed. So many things were left behind never to return or added way to late after launch... I dont think people would have complained if 343 focused on getting everything halo should have in it for launch like forge, social / ranked / btb and other missing features, then added stuff like warzone as dlc -_- It would have kept people coming back to see "new" things be added in the updates rather than stuff that people expected in the game at launch.

You guys dont need to have some "big new thing" to sell the next halo game or bring people back. Just make the complete halo game first then improve on that for the next game while adding the ambitious new stuff if thats possible, idk im not a developer lol

wow this post turned out way more rambly and huge than planned sorry. I havent been on gaf in ages and saw the posts above and just got inspired to let it all out =V

I think a lot of people are feeling the way you and your friends do, so I'm hoping the custom games browser will help solve a majority of our issues with playlist management. There's a lot riding on the success of that, I feel. Not as in the franchise will die if it's not executed well enough, rather the franchise won't truly flourish until that potential is captured.

Can all these other games release so Halo 5 can die and we can start getting optimistic for Halo 6?? (Beta in 17-18 months?) They got close this time but still missed the mark.

I also have to chime in and say the reason i or any of my friends havent been playing halo 5 is the same reasoning... the playlist management and mode selection just isnt there. lacking a real btb mode and social playlists just makes arena frustrating and punishing for people who dont want to try hard all the time.

halo 5 is the best halo mechanically to us, but the fact that the only choice really is ranked or warzone with no inbetween / big team, is a huge let down. We are another decently sized group of players that played halo very consistently through all of its form. I hope 343 will keep the core of halo 5 going forward but seriously reconsider trying to cram too much "new" stuff into halo 6. Refine what you already have and get the stuff back in that was lost in terms of game modes and playlists. Dont create some ambitious huge new thing like warzone at the cost of the time you need to get the things the franchise is known for in the game.

I dont know what is to blame for the lack of so many halo staple features / modes in halo 5, maybe its making the new engine and having to re tool a ton of things from scratch... whatever is the case, Make the game with the staple great things halo should have in it first then in the game after start adding the big ambitious new stuff. Or even through dlc.

Look at gears 4 for example. no one is complaining that it is essentially gears 3 improved with a new story. It has all the core and things people loved and expect from gears. The mechanics have been refined and improved with new tweaks. The game modes are intact + a few new ones. The next game will probably refine on that further while adding new ambitious stuff to the mix.

Halo 5 refined the gameplay and improved it, got a new story, but everything else is mixed. So many things were left behind never to return or added way to late after launch... I dont think people would have complained if 343 focused on getting everything halo should have in it for launch like forge, social / ranked / btb and other missing features, then added stuff like warzone as dlc -_- It would have kept people coming back to see "new" things be added in the updates rather than stuff that people expected in the game at launch.

You guys dont need to have some "big new thing" to sell the next halo game or bring people back. Just make the complete halo game first then improve on that for the next game while adding the ambitious new stuff if thats possible, idk im not a developer lol

wow this post turned out way more rambly and huge than planned sorry. I havent been on gaf in ages and saw the posts above and just got inspired to let it all out =V

It’s not rambling, it’s a good post and people agree with you. I have no problems with 343i trying new things and putting their mark on the series. However, when you go and neglect things that made the series great to begin with, you’re going to upset a lot of players.

343s unwillingness to let go of Cortana has been so bad for halo story telling. At least halo 5 plays very well.

I liked what they did with Cortana in the story, it was well executed. I do have to concede being like "ugh another Cortana campaign story", here we go again.

I really do want to see Halsey head to head against Cortana with Chief in the balance though, that would be sweet AF.

Cortana: let him go! Johns mine!

Hasley: cortana, you are tripping girl! I raised him and made him who he is today! He is staying with me!

Librarian: ummm... i have something to tell the both of you

great post Tsumiya and I completely agree :D

They just need to fix their mistake with halo 5's campaign. The story had an awkward jump in time from Halo 4 and didn't properly introduce the new characters( Blue Team desperately needed this much more)

It would have been a MUCH better campaign had they provided an even amount of Blue Team and Osiris missions.

I feel like the custom browser is coming too late for anyone to care.

Gears 4, Titanfall 2, CoD 4 Remastered, BF1...

Seems way too late to the party. It is cool for those that still play though.

I feel like the custom browser is coming too late for anyone to care.

Gears 4, Titanfall 2, CoD 4 Remastered, BF1...

Seems way too late to the party. It is cool for those that still play though.

Agreed, if they did actual MM on PC I think it would garner interest, but custom browsers won't be enough to pull many in.

IHaveIce

Banned

Marry me Tsumiya

I'm still having a blast with a few friends most nights on H5 but you can tell the population is smaller. I played the same champ and his team at least three different times in a row. And that's fine, they were fun games but I'd like a good couple social modes that allow a little more freedom.

Keep the weird stuff and add the custom game browser but we absolutely need a social slayer. I'd lose my mind for a social squad slayer. But I don't think any of that would really bring people back. There's so many options this year.

I haven't touched PvP in months, it just doesn't interest me at all. Most of my time has been spent playing FF. I've moved on to other games now, though, which is normal. Getting a year's worth of gameplay from a game is quite a feat this day and age.

BizzyBum

Speaking about Gears 4, removing the gameplay aspect aside since both Halo and Gears are great and it's subjective which one is better since they are two completely different styles, 343 really nailed the aesthetics and ease of use when it comes to the menu and UI.

Gears is just ugly and clunky in comparison.

Speaking about Gears 4, removing the gameplay aspect aside since both Halo and Gears are great and it's subjective which one is better since they are two completely different styles, 343 really nailed the aesthetics and ease of use when it comes to the menu and UI.

Gears is just ugly and clunky in comparison.

I will say that there's a lack of quality of life UI features. Halo 5 isnfantastic, min us not being able to sell multiple reqs at once.

Top Bottom