• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Dodgeball on Gears 4 is just incredible. I fucking LOVE it. I've always loved elimination-type modes, and adding a twist where you can revive teammates through kills just adds to the tension, knowing that if you die, you're also reinforcing the enemy.

I pray to every deity out there that 343 makes a mode like it in Halo 6. I would kill for a mode like this in Halo. Breakout Dodgeball. I'd never leave the house.

Trup1aya

Dodgeball on Gears 4 is just incredible. I fucking LOVE it. I've always loved elimination-type modes, and adding a twist where you can revive teammates through kills just adds to the tension, knowing that if you die, you're also reinforcing the enemy.

I pray to every deity out there that 343 makes a mode like it in Halo 6. I would kill for a mode like this in Halo. Breakout Dodgeball. I'd never leave the house.

Yeah, I actually like the new breakout, but i think of it had actual spawns on map, and a revive mechanic like dodge ball, it would be better.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Halo/Xbox having problems for anyone else? I can match into war zone just fine but can't find an arena match to save my life. Population too low? We dad? ;)

Detective

Halo/Xbox having problems for anyone else? I can match into war zone just fine but can't find an arena match to save my life. Population too low? We dad? ;)

Welcome to my world.

Its at top 17 now. When I made a thread about that people laughed.

On a side note, Is there any cheaters' in Halo 5 guys? Or is it even possible to cheat?

Detective

Frankie, guys , please look into this.
How is this even possible?
https://vid.me/5mNS

The guy with the assault rifle.

My friend was full shield and got melted from far away with the AR. Half clip in like one sec.

The guy was running with the AR much like the answer and even more powerful.

Frankie, guys , please look into this.
How is this even possible?
https://vid.me/5mNS

The guy with the assault rifle.

My friend was full shield and got melted from far away with the AR. Half clip in like one sec.

The guy was running with the AR much like the answer and even more powerful.

It looks like the modded controller burst. There is a way to make the AR shoot faster and significantly decrease TTK, but you need a modded controller to do it. You see it being abused a lot at higher levels of play. Surprised they haven't fixed it.

Detective

It looks like the modded controller burst. There is a way to make the AR shoot faster and significantly decrease TTK, but you need a modded controller to do it. You see it being abused a lot at higher levels of play. Surprised they haven't fixed it.

Hmmmm, first time hearing this really. What is this modded controller and how does it work? How can a controller effect a game like that?

Hmmmm, first time hearing this really. What is this modded controller and how does it work? How can a controller effect a game like that?

You can shoot the AR faster just by tapping, but realistically it's hard to do it in game and still be effective. So if you get a modded controller with like a turbo mode and it can do it easily.

Detective

You can shoot the AR faster just by tapping, but realistically it's hard to do it in game and still be effective. So if you get a modded controller with like a turbo mode and it can do it easily.

Thanks for the explanation bro, hope they fix that. Its really annoying.

34 Pro Players participated in this poll in total.

Question 1: Are the current Halo 5 HCS settings as competitive as they could be?

0% - Yes, the current settings are the pinnacle of competitive Halo 5.
50% - No, the current competitive settings are holding Halo 5 back.
50% - The current settings are good, but we need to make a few adjustments.

Question 2: Should Radar be enabled in the HCS Settings?

17.6% - Yes, radar works well with Halo 5 eSports and should remain enabled.
82.4% - No, Radar has no place in Halo 5 eSports and should be disabled.

Question 3: How do you feel about the state of automatic weapons in Halo 5?

17.6% - Automatic weapons are balanced in their current state.
32.4% - Automatic weapons do not belong in competitive Halo.
50% - Automatic weapons are too strong in their current state.

Question 4: How do you feel about the current loadout weapons in Halo 5?

41.2% - The loadout weapons in Halo 5 are perfectly balanced.
52.9% - The Assault Rifle is too powerful.
5.9% - Both weapons need tuning.
0% - The Magnum is too weak.

Question 5: How competitively viable do you find the current map/gametype rotation?

5.9% - All maps/gametypes currently played in the HCS are balanced and competitive.
79.4% - A majority of the maps/gametypes are good, but others need to be removed/tuned.
14.7% - Most of the maps/gametypes played in the HCS require fixes/tuning.

Question 6: Which League structure would you prefer in the HCS?

0% - Online Pro League with Season LAN Finals.
20.6% - Developer Funded Open LAN Events.
79.4% - A mix of online Pro Leagues and Developer Funded Open LAN Events.

Question 7: Which LAN Tournament Organizer would you prefer in the HCS?
0% - ESL
0% - Gfinity
0% - UMG
50% - MLG
41.2% - ESL Pro League (Online) + MLG Developer Funded Open LAN Events.
8.8% - MLG Pro League (Online) + ESL Developer Funded LAN Finals.

Listen to your pro's 343, they are the ones who spend thousands of hours playing your game. I agree with every answer. Source: http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/14543-poll-hcs-pro-player-feedback-2/

belushy

Banned
Gotta say those are the sanest opinions from pros I've seen. Seems like they finally realized fighting for stronger pistol and no autos was useless.

I hope to see no radar, Magnum/(nerfed)AR starts and maybe Oddball and Mercy tossed in there in place of Statis and the map pool/settings will be great. Autos do need a nerf across the board but I do think they deserve a place in the competitive sandbox.

Trup1aya

The thing is, as long as 343 sticks with the idea to merge the only objective playlist with the HCS playlist, they'll never have setting that can please the entire audience.

The masses don't give a shit about HCS or competive settings. They just want to play all of their favorite maps and gametypes in classic halo fashion. HCS is actually getting in the way of that.

So making all of these changes to HCS and the Team Arena playlist will piss off more people than it satisfies.

Until 343 divorces this idea that common folks and pro playing on common settings is beneficial, we'll always have this disconnect.

business-handshake-smiley-emoticon.gif

The thing is, as long as 343 sticks with the idea to merge the only objective playlist with the HCS playlist, they'll never have setting that can please the entire audience.

The masses don't give a shit about HCS or competive settings. They just want to play all of their favorite maps and gametypes in classic halo fashion. HCS is actually getting in the way of that.

So making all of these changes to HCS and the Team Arena playlist will piss off more people than it satisfies.

Until 343 divorces this idea that common folks and pro playing on common settings is beneficial, we'll always have this disconnect.

Agree, Gears 4 is doing it almost flawlessly. Try to please everyone you end up with "meh".

Karl2177

Hold B to hijack Banshee
*holds B*
*picks up AR*
*dies to said Banshee*

Fuck you game.

GG Trup. Saw you joined in to the Darkstar game on the other team.

Just give me this back in playlists and I'm happy, I might just get friends coming back to play Halo on the regular too.

1. HCS Pro playlist, do whatever the hell they want e.g. no radar, small maps, no vehicles, weapons/spawns blah blah.

2. Ranked/social slayer with radar, not just small symmetrical pro maps and bring back light vehicles.

3. Ranked objective with radar, not just small symmetrical pro maps and bring back light vehicles.

4. Social BTB with slayer/obj with radar.

Simple.

BizzyBum

Yup, I agree with all of those polls. Hopefully 343 listens.

Also, notice how Gears 4 already has a Double XP weekend. We never had one in a year. We need a little boost or update to liven things up once the other shooters come out.

While I think the automatics range could be toned down a tad, I feel automatics are close to where they should be. Halo 5 has the most balanced weapon sandbox in Halo and is one of the most balanced shooters period. A big part of the improvement in this game has to do with automatics being a viable option. Before they were quite useless, especially in 2 and 3. Now weapons are even more crucial in a given situation, having to think is never a bad thing.

On the other hand 343 needs to put more thought into the maps they make, Overgrowth and Riptide are both horrible in this regard, automatics play too much of a role in their claustrophobic corridors. Maps need to have better sight lines.

BizzyBum

Radar is also a component that makes autos a little too OP.

Remove radar and slightly nerf the SR and SMG and I would be happy.

Also, notice how Gears 4 already has a Double XP weekend. We never had one in a year. We need a little boost or update to liven things up once the other shooters come out.
Gears also has a Social playlist that rotates between a bunch of gametypes/maps and keeps players together from match to match, so games are fast.

I was listening to some podcast recently and it was mentioned how the "secret ingredient" to CoD's success, and something they wanted for Gears was to keep players in the match so they don't have any time to leave. Similar to Rocket League too, right as the game ends you're already in a new one within seconds. Halo needs this.

Strider

I remember there was a poll from pro players before about radar and it was about a 50/50 split on whether it should stay or not. That was some months back tho... Prior to season 1 I think.

I wonder if the changes made by 343 that eliminated ways to manipulate it caused people to feel differently or if over time they just had a change of heart.

Edit: looked it up. Was even further back than I thought. Was in January so when gearing up for worlds: http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/12246-poll-hcs-pro-player-feedback-gametypes-settings/

Question 2: Should radar be disabled in the Halo World Championship settings?

Yes: 16 votes (40%)
No: 24 votes (60%)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Didn't the special weekend playlists used to do double xp?

Ar is fine. Without radar it'll be used properly. SR though needs to be swapped out for brute plasma rifle in every instance.

I wouldn't fuck with autos too much, especially the AR as everyone has one... if you find yourself in a close quarters pistol vs AR battle it probably means you had the wrong gun out so you deserve to be at a disadvantage.

I think the SMG is a little OP however, but removing radar may help there... a dirty crouching coward will tear you to shreds with that before you can say "fuck you, you fucking camping noob!!"

But I'm saying that... it has to be more powerful than the AR, so just removing radars should be enough.

I generally like the radar, but I'd be happy if it only showed sprinting enemies.

I just realized 343 never ever did anything regarding in game events to encourage player retention. No double xp weekends, no double RP weekends, no weekly challenges, no daily challenges (no daily login doesn't count).

Jesus, what a stupid emblem for a breakout commendation. #just343things

Feel accomplished, and then realize that your reward wasn't nearly as cool as half the emblems you can get in REQ packs.

But hey, good job either way. I wish I had the patience to play Breakout at all, much less run a few matches without dying.

Feel accomplished, and then realize that your reward wasn't nearly as cool as half the emblems you can get in REQ packs.

But hey, good job either way. I wish I had the patience to play Breakout at all, much less run a few matches without dying.

I got it playing action sack. Fuck standard breakout. If action sack didn't exist, I wouldn't be past level 1 of any breakout commendation. Can you imagine how insanely stupidly long it would take to get that many deathless games (not rounds, full games) going legit with standard ranked breakout? Forget that.

My "stupid emblem" comment was referring to the fact that the emblem is related to vehicle stuff and you can only get it through maxing out a breakout commendation (and, prior to action sack, one of the hardest in the game).

Ade

34 Pro Players participated in this poll in total.

I cant access the full poll due to a work firewall, but Im not sure if its an example of how small the pro scene is, or how terrible people are at getting a statistically significant poll size, but 34 people... come on.

That radar question 83%, so thats 28 people that don't like radar. yeah thats a high percentage as a portion of total respondents but otherwise its statistically useless,

I mean, HCS alone is 16 teams, of 4 people, so thats 64 people, and even that would be a bloody small sample size.

There are a lot of issues with 343s handling of stuff (Typos, sporadic comms, playlist management, solo queue, random obsession with weird shit like retooling breakout but not explaining the new rules on the loading screen, FFA Swat(!), their random approach to the Halo Channel/App/Waypoint, their inability to get merchandise outside of the US) but Im not sure a poll with so few responses will change much.

Trup1aya

I cant access the full poll due to a work firewall, but Im not sure if its an example of how small the pro scene is, or how terrible people are at getting a statistically significant poll size, but 34 people... come on.

That radar question 83%, so thats 28 people that don't like radar. yeah thats a high percentage as a portion of total respondents but otherwise its statistically useless,

I mean, HCS alone is 16 teams, of 4 people, so thats 64 people, and even that would be a bloody small sample size.

There are a lot of issues with 343s handling of stuff (Typos, sporadic comms, playlist management, solo queue, random obsession with weird shit like retooling breakout but not explaining the new rules on the loading screen, FFA Swat(!), their random approach to the Halo Channel/App/Waypoint, their inability to get merchandise outside of the US) but Im not sure a poll with so few responses will change much.

Only Pros were asked to weigh in (I think top AMs should have been included). There are only 8 pro teams in NA and six in EU, so 56 total players. 60% turnout- which is roughly what US presidential elections get.

The last time Team Beyond held such a pro poll, they successfully had Breakout removed from HCS. It had 40 respondents.

Ade

Only Pros were asked to weigh in (I think top AMs should have been included). There are only 8 pro teams in NA and six in EU, so 56 total players. 60% turnout- which is roughly what US presidential elections get.

The last time Team Beyond held such a pro poll, they successfully had Breakout removed from HCS. It had 40 respondents.

Im still of the opinion its a small sample size, that aside though, a lot of the answers are semi meaningless and the questions are rather pointed in some respects.

Question 1: Are the current Halo 5 HCS settings as competitive as they could be?

0% - Yes, the current settings are the pinnacle of competitive Halo 5.
50% - No, the current competitive settings are holding Halo 5 back.
50% - The current settings are good, but we need to make a few adjustments.

So... nothing is ever going to be the pinnacle, as thats an odd statement and no one is ever perfectly happy. The remained is an even split between "its not good" and "it could be better" which are basically the same thing.

Fair enough, 28 people don't like Radar.

So whats the take away from this? Some people like them, some people dont want them in at all (? but is this based on how they are, you'd assume so) and the remainder think they're too strong.

So if you nerfed them, you'd have the same result, and if you removed them, you'd have the same result.

So the magnum is fine, nearly half of people think the loadout weapons are balanced, and half think the AR is too powerful, which tracks with the Q3 answers, but again, if only half of people think the AR is too powerful, changing it will lead to the same results.

Question 5: How competitively viable do you find the current map/gametype rotation?

5.9% - All maps/gametypes currently played in the HCS are balanced and competitive.
79.4% - A majority of the maps/gametypes are good, but others need to be removed/tuned.
14.7% - Most of the maps/gametypes played in the HCS require fixes/tuning.
So its broadly good, but some stuff could be changed. Not exactly an illuminating response.

Really, the only thing theres any sembalnce of a strong feeling on is Radar, the rest is in the "damned if you do, damned if you dont" pile

Trup1aya

Im still of the opinion its a small sample size, that aside though, a lot of the answers are semi meaningless and the questions are rather pointed in some respects.

So... nothing is ever going to be the pinnacle, as thats an odd statement and no one is ever perfectly happy. The remained is an even split between "its not good" and "it could be better" which are basically the same thing.

Fair enough, 28 people don't like Radar.

So whats the take away from this? Some people like them, some people dont want them in at all (? but is this based on how they are, you'd assume so) and the remainder think they're too strong.

So if you nerfed them, you'd have the same result, and if you removed them, you'd have the same result.

So the magnum is fine, nearly half of people think the loadout weapons are balanced, and half think the AR is too powerful, which tracks with the Q3 answers, but again, if only half of people think the AR is too powerful, changing it will lead to the same results.

So its broadly good, but some stuff could be changed. Not exactly an illuminating response.

Really, the only thing theres any sembalnce of a strong feeling on is Radar, the rest is in the "damned if you do, damned if you dont" pile

The poll was about pro league. It's a small group of people... How much larger can the poll be? Who else should they ask? The takeaway is that a large percentage of the people who play this game at the highest level don't think the current settings are conducive to a quality Esports product. That shouldn't be ignored.

I do agree that some of the responses were pointed, and it could have gone into more detail, but the survey is mostly sound. The general consensus is that radar is bad for competitive play, and that the automatics in competitive play could use tweaking at the very least.

Ade

I do agree that some of the responses were pointed, and it could have gone into more detail, but the survey is mostly sound. The general consensus is that radar is bad for competitive play, and that the automatics in competitive play could use tweaking at the very least.

Yeah you can't make it much bigger, but such a small size does make the percentages swing wildly.

As we've both said, the main takeout is that Radar is bad, thats almost unanimous, and theres certainly some scope to do something with autos, although the opinion is quite split.

The rest of it though doesn't really give 343 much in the way of workable insights

Trup1aya

Yeah you can't make it much bigger, but such a small size does make the percentages swing wildly.

As we've both said, the main takeout is that Radar is bad, thats almost unanimous, and theres certainly some scope to do something with autos, although the opinion is quite split.

The rest of it though doesn't really give 343 much in the way of workable insights

when surveying it's important to have the right respondents.

One of the major issues with how 343 interprets feedback for the Team Arena playlist is that their the sample size it too big. The playlist doubles as HCS training ground AND the objective playlist. The Team Objective fans grossly outnumber those interested in Halo Esports, yet any changes based on feedback effect the pro league.

So we have two disparate entities vying for a limited amount of attention. It's a majority v minority issue that could be solved immediately by treating the two niches separately.

TCKaos

My "stupid emblem" comment was referring to the fact that the emblem is related to vehicle stuff and you can only get it through maxing out a breakout commendation (and, prior to action sack, one of the hardest in the game).

This is like 90% of the commendation emblems. Noble Team and an Antelope are CTF commendation rewards, but the Snake that was on the red team flag in CE is a REQ unlock. Then you've got a bunch of weapon commendations that unlock emblems of that weapon's reticle (AR, BR, SMG, Rockets, ect) but then shit like "Listener" for the Beam Rifle.

You do not get things that you'd think you'd get almost ever.

psyfi

Banned
This game's been out for almost a year and I still get Eden and Empire's names mixed up. I usually don't remember them at all though.

Fuchsdh

Mostly I love Fiesta Slayer because I get to play with all the REQs I normally would never call in in Warzone.

Makes me hope we get more REQ weapons in the campaign in the future, it was fun finding them as easter eggs throughout but it'd be great to have sequences where they're loadout options as well.

The auto weapons would perfect if the maps were designed and balanced more in line with Bungie's Halo maps. Average engagement distance in those games was far longer, with better sight lines and more open areas. Halo 5 maps are so dense, and seem to be built primarily to maximize the verticality afforded by the movement mechanics. Combined with that mobility, short-range autos become far more dangerous, because the average engagement distance is lower. A great magnum user can gun down an AR user within the magnums ideal range pretty easily, but the ratio of engagements that start in magnum range vs useable AR range is lower than in previous games, IMO.

While I think the automatics range could be toned down a tad, I feel automatics are close to where they should be. Halo 5 has the most balanced weapon sandbox in Halo and is one of the most balanced shooters period. A big part of the improvement in this game has to do with automatics being a viable option. Before they were quite useless, especially in 2 and 3. Now weapons are even more crucial in a given situation, having to think is never a bad thing.

agreed.

while i agree with most of what the pros polled in those questions, nerfing autos is effing stupid as eff.

there should never be a weapon pick-up that's useless / non-lethal in an arena shooter.

the weapon sandbox is FINALLY full of weapons where any one [used effectively] can get you the win in an encounter.

the pros' opinions matter, but sometimes they're effing stupid and remind me of a reddit thread or some shit.

Top Bottom