• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Strider

That plus a bunch of other stuff.

It just plays super stiff and it's immediately noticeable. You walk as slow as a snail so you have to sprint, crouch slide, or wall run to get anywhere. None of it feels fun to do. It requires you to either claw or own a scuff if you plan to actually try and get good. Maps are boring and small.

I'm not a COD hater, I usually enjoy the campaigns and the MP is always pretty fun but this is straight up bad.

Yep. From the very first moment I started moving around it felt... bad. Same movement mechanics as black ops 3 (which I like) except it somehow feels way worse and sluggish. And black ops 3 was a more sluggish version of titanfall to begin with...

I'll give it more of a chance but not good so far. Ghosts and mw3 were terrible games but I thought infinity ward may actually release some thing decent this time but so far this beta is doing them 0 favors

Ade

Is it just me, or has the Halo Channel app not been updated since E3. Top item for me is a CU update from March.

How hard is it to not send shit out to die. Between the waypoint app, the halo channel and the W10 desktop only Halo app. There are 3 apps that are meant to function as gateways to the halo universe and esports. Only none of them actually do.

It's bad enough they're a quiet brand on social media, but these pointless, left to die apps only serve to make it look even more like they don't really care.

Is it just me, or has the Halo Channel app not been updated since E3. Top item for me is a CU update from March.

How hard is it to not send shit out to die. Between the waypoint app, the halo channel and the W10 desktop only Halo app. There are 3 apps that are meant to function as gateways to the halo universe and esports. Only none of them actually do.

It's bad enough they're a quiet brand on social media, but these pointless, left to die apps only serve to make it look even more like they don't really care.

Halo Channel was a cool idea that never caught on, was likely expensive to produce content for, and was likely dropped as fast as they could. It sucks, cause it had promise, but in the end , when you promise all these cool features that never materialize and start having ads for the Navy of all things, the decline was apparent.

I decided to watch some Halo streams the other day cause I wasn't caught up and saw Stellur on EG, and LOL 100-0ing Optic in a strongholds game.

What is going on

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

The app is such a waste unfortunately. Slow and terrible menus too.

Madness

Frankie, can you promote Tom French yet? Also hire game cheat to get bots/AI in forge for 6. Just casually dropping info that will save halo, no biggie.

I sort of think he has or will be promoted. He was a senior mission designer and on the forge team but his twitter profile noe says UGC Director for 343 Industries. His team has been solid. Not only does he consistently engage with everyone on twitter answering things but just look at what forge has done post-launch mind you even while they are probably busy with Halo 6 and what else is coming.

The app is such a waste unfortunately. Slow and terrible menus too.

Yup. I've never known why they wouldn't promote the app more. They have a Pro Team they could utilize, show them doing scrims with other 343 devs on new maps they are testing. A lot of people would tune in to see sneak peeks. Use the channel to promote local tournaments etc. Instead they've just cemented twitch app as the go to.

IHaveIce

Banned
So after playing through campaigns again I really hope they don't try to push again another protag in the next game.

Pretty sure if the MC isn't the main protag anymore in the mainline Halo games.. I'm not interested anymore in the campaign

Madness

So after playing through campaigns again I really hope they don't try to push again another protag in the next game.

Pretty sure if the MC isn't the main protag anymore in the mainline Halo games.. I'm not interested anymore in the campaign

Probably will be Chief, Palmer, Locke and Arbiter on Sanghelios for a while, as Cortana starts taking over everywhere else. Probably will create new AI robots as enemies to fight now that Covenant pretty much finished and Prometheans done too, sort of like Cerberus in ME3 or even in Gears 4 with the new DeeBees and whatnot.

Playing Gears 4 and Halo 5, look at the difference in the prologue versus the opening campaign we got in Halo 5. And then you wonder why no one really liked the story. Look at the storytelling differences. The Coalition knows Gears fans care about what they have done in the past, Marcus, Anya, Dom, the game lore etc. I have never read much of any of the expanded Gears stuff. No novels or comics but I remembered exactly what they were mentioning and the characters. Looking back at Halo 4 and now Halo 5, I didn't remember a fraction of anything because most of everything they do post Halo 3 event is all made up and told outside the games.

Fuchsdh

I sort of think he has or will be promoted. He was a senior mission designer and on the forge team but his twitter profile noe says UGC Director for 343 Industries. His team has been solid. Not only does he consistently engage with everyone on twitter answering things but just look at what forge has done post-launch mind you even while they are probably busy with Halo 6 and what else is coming.

Yup. I've never known why they wouldn't promote the app more. They have a Pro Team they could utilize, show them doing scrims with other 343 devs on new maps they are testing. A lot of people would tune in to see sneak peeks. Use the channel to promote local tournaments etc. Instead they've just cemented twitch app as the go to.

Because Twitch is better. Even if the Halo Channel app had been faster and easier to navigate, it's simpler to snap Twitch on your Xbox than it is to load up another app just for streams of one game.

I still think there's an obvious spot for a Waypoint/Halo Channel-like content hub, but that requires a lot more work than it appears they're willing to put into it. Which is fine, I don't begrudge them for trying it out and scaling back.

Akai__

Fuck Palmer
Fuck Locke
Fuck Prometheans

I want Blue Team
I want the Flood or atleast the Gravemind back.

Shame that 343i can't really nail character development or general story writing. Locke is okay'ish and so is Team Osiris, but they could be so much more. Agree on Palmer and Prometheans, though. Even if they improved by a lot, they are still terrible and not really fun to fight. Brutes and Flood beat them by a large margin. Heck, even Drones and Skirmisher are more fun to fight.

Also agreed on Gravemind. I love that character. The VA is awesome, the dialogue is awesome and he works pretty good as a villain. Not sure why Bungie decided to make the player stop whenever the Gravemind(or Cortana) were talking. Kinda breaks the pace of an otherwise great campaign. I often see myself watching all cutscenes or the Halo 3 Gravemind moments involving the Gravemind. Absolutely love the character.

Sai

Just popping in to let the Company know that I haven't abandoned Halo 5(though it seems that some others here have already, if not intending to in the near future). Just got caught up on a game I've had on my backlog, and I'm just about done with it.

belushy

Banned
I decided to watch some Halo streams the other day cause I wasn't caught up and saw Stellur on EG, and LOL 100-0ing Optic in a strongholds game.

What is going on

LOL is the old Liquid from HWC. I'm interested in what they can achieve.

Also I haven't kept up with EG. Who is Stellur replacing?

Akai__

Just popping in to let the Company know that I haven't abandoned Halo 5(though it seems that some others here have already, if not intending to in the near future). Just got caught up on a game I've had on my backlog, and I'm just about done with it.

The company is dead anyways. Give it a week and you will maybe have 2 people who are still playing.

LOL is the old Liquid from HWC. I'm interested in what they can achieve.

Also I haven't kept up with EG. Who is Stellur replacing?

Victory X. He couldn't stand the bitching from Lunchbox, Roy and Ninja. He said he would rather retire than play with stubborn people like Roy and Lunchbox.

Sai

The company is dead anyways. Give it a week and you will maybe have 2 people who are still playing.

Victory X. He couldn't stand the bitching from Lunchbox, Roy and Ninja. He said he would rather retire than play with stubborn people like Roy and Lunchbox.
:( That's too bad. I mean, assuming all that stuff that was datamined earlier will be made official, there's at least one CU in the near future...

Trup1aya

With effective storytelling the alternate protagonist angle could work. But they screwed the pooch when I came to character development in H5. Every single major player was completely glossed over.

I'd be surprised if they tried a similar approach with the next game. They need to tell a self contained narrative that has connections to previous GAMES... If they want to dig deeper into this Forunner/Promethean stuff, they need to assume that the gamer has never touched any of the EU stuff, and find a way to fill him in organically.

It's really a tall order to fix this mess in a single game. I'm hoping they can pull it off.

Akai__

:( That's too bad. I mean, assuming all that stuff that was datamined earlier will be made official, there's at least one CU in the near future...

Eh, I'm sure people will jump back, if the next update is compelling. Was always the case thus far and they have yet to release the Custom Game Browser.

I know that I'll be back, if we finally get it and the Reach Grenade Launcher back.

I'll be playing as long as super fiesta is part if the playlist, so much fun.

I swear I get the first strike medal 80% of the time too, a little something for the company.

Tbh my long goal since launch was to get onyx. This season i did it. So my drive to keep playing died a lil. Idc about any of the armor peices anymore since i got wrath and shinobi.

Ill hop on time to time. Wzff is fun(sometimes)

mo60

Tbh my long goal since launch was to get onyx. This season i did it. So my drive to keep playing died a lil. Idc about any of the armor peices anymore since i got wrath and shinobi.

Ill hop on time to time. Wzff is fun(sometimes)

Everything single time I try to reach gold rank in team arena I get up to silver 6 and start losing matches like crazy. I'm just trying to get SR152 before halo 6 release. I don't expect to reach SR147 until mid december at this point because of university unless I can grind like crazy during my week off in November.

Everything single time I try to reach gold rank in team arena I get up to silver 6 and start losing matches like crazy. I'm just trying to get SR152 before halo 6 release. I don't expect to reach SR147 until mid december at this point because of university unless I can grind like crazy during my week off in November.

Solo.arena is such a crapshoot. I did onyx with slayer since you can essentially carry easier than objective games

Fuck Palmer
Fuck Locke
Fuck Prometheans

I want Blue Team
I want the Flood or atleast the Gravemind back.

bro...

BRO

we found our common ground.

I agree. Locke was so incredibly bad it hurts. He somehow seemed to be less human than chief

Madness

I dont think Halo: Nightfall helped at all either. but now Colter is making that Marvel Money so maybe we can get more Chief.

Maybe if they continued with Nightfall's storyline for Locke for a bit. But just as soon as we see Randall's sacrifice and Locke appreciating Spartan-II's as the very best of the best of the best of humanity and his own ONI soldiers and agents being trash. Not only is Talitha gone, but Locke is now a Spartan himself with zero character development and chasing perhaps the greatest of all Spartans.

Halo 5 they replaced Colter as voice and just kept him for his likeness so they will continue with it and don't really need him beyond a few days of facial scanning.

On a sidenote, Ninja has gotten 62K in donations so far today. More than he has made at Halo the past few years combined.

I, for one, am super hyped about H6's campaign. Think they've set things up nicely for a very cool story. Expecting the AI companions to be selectable, rather than fixed. Enemies will probably be Created (Covvie remnants + Prometheans + Cortana shenangians like the Goblin) and maybe the Banished (Brutes, basically).

It's true that 343's non-Chief character writing has been... less than elegant, I will admit. Hopefully they figure something out for that.

Cranster

Banned
I, for one, am super hyped about H6's campaign. Think they've set things up nicely for a very cool story. Expecting the AI companions to be selectable, rather than fixed. Enemies will probably be Created (Covvie remnants + Prometheans + Cortana shenangians like the Goblin) and maybe the Banished (Brutes, basically).

It's true that 343's non-Chief character writing has been... less than elegant, I will admit. Hopefully they figure something out for that.
Simple, longer cinematics that explains character motivations and bring back characters like Lord Hood, Half-Jaw and Osman to introduce a more interesting dynamic.

Madness

Their story goal contrasts with their overall franchise focus. They need to sell toys and comics and novels and cater to 8-18 year olds who are not a part of their core audience. But everything just feels so manfuactured. Story was a huge mess. HuntTheTruth which felt like a one off side project was infinitely more engaging and I was giving it crap saying who would listen to it. But was amazing.

Simple, longer cinematics that explains character motivations and bring back characters like Lord Hood, Half-Jaw and Osman to introduce a more interesting dynamic.

Longer story cinematics would certainly do it, but there seems to be resistance to the idea. The art book heavily suggests that there was a planned persistent hub area, which would provide a Normandy (ME) esque space for character development, I could see them revisiting that, making character development more optional. You'd still get people who blow through the game and complain, though.

Their story goal contrasts with their overall franchise focus. They need to sell toys and comics and novels and cater to 8-18 year olds who are not a part of their core audience. But everything just feels so manfuactured. Story was a huge mess. HuntTheTruth which felt like a one off side project was infinitely more engaging and I was giving it crap saying who would listen to it. But was amazing.

Hunt the Truth was singularly amazing, yes, but there were a lot of factors to that. I don't think it's really fair to compare a planned once-and-done purely audio story with a game that, in addition to fostering interactivity, has to propel an entire franchise forward. Apples and oranges.

Long cinematics? Longer than 3 and 4, nah, but they need to be longer than 5's. Hell, I'll even take 5 length cutscenes if they're paced and edited properly, not over in what feels like the middle of a scene.

MCD

I am only mid-way throughout Gears 4 but 343 should seriously look at what the Coalition did very close.

Fantastic art direction and new characters. I seriously cannot believe this is a MS title. Feels more like Sony tbh. I mean, a Gears game with actual good cut-scenes? Dear lord.

If they seriously give a fuck for the story or intrested in creating new characters then do it the Coalition way.

Top Bottom