• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

TCKaos

I wish there was a way to download whatever Forge has to access from the dedis that way when the dedis shit out I don't immediately lose an hour of progress on a new map.

I wish there was a way to download whatever Forge has to access from the dedis that way when the dedis shit out I don't immediately lose an hour of progress on a new map.

Just pretend you're in a Bethesda game. Save every 2 minutes and you're fine.
Also, I believe Halo 5: Forge on PC let's you save local copies (IIRC)

I think the many of the issues people have with the autos would go away if radar was removed.
How is that?
Are you talking about the case where a player may be crouching with an auto rifle, waiting to get the jump on a player?

I imagine that would still happen, without radar.

Trup1aya

How is that?
Are you talking about the case where a player may be crouching with an auto rifle, waiting to get the jump on a player?

I imagine that would still happen, without radar.

Sure it would happen occasionally, but that tactic would be much less viable without the croucher being spoon fed information.

Radar was necessary for a game with larger maps and lower movement speed, in order to push players toward engagements.

The maps in Halo 5 are so dense and tight, you can't go 15 seconds without falling bass-ackwards over a freshly spawned opponent.

Trup1aya

Radar was necessary for a game with larger maps and lower movement speed, in order to push players toward engagements.

The maps in Halo 5 are so dense and tight, you can't go 15 seconds without falling bass-ackwards over a freshly spawned opponent.

Radar never pushed people towards engagement. It has always rewarded players who moved less..

Radar has ALWAYS slowed gameplay down. Even in destiny, the most casual and popular game there is, the radar only shows you what 45 degree direction the enemy is in and not pinpoint location.

Trup1aya

If you're talking about top tier play, perhaps. For the bulk of the audience, the radar served the function of where to go to shoot somebody.

For all levels of play, the radar rewarded the person who stayed off of it. Which meant people waiting for the action to come to them.

The common reaction to seeing someone on your radar is to make sure that you don't show up on theirs... Which slows down the engagement.

Historically, What guides people to action? Seeing the enemy. Seeing the bullet tracers. Seeing teammate waypoints flash. Call outs.

I think the many of the issues people have with the autos would go away if radar was removed.
Sure it would happen occasionally, but that tactic would be much less viable without the croucher being spoon fed information.
Yeah, I agree. I'd like for them to test no radar before adjusting weapons for that reason.

One day we're going to get no radar and all the people who thought they needed it will realize how fun the game is without it. It also forces people to be aware of their surroundings and pay more attention to other audio/visual feedback systems like friendly indicators instead of playing selfishly. As a result, randoms would be more team-oriented over playing in their own little world.

Trup1aya

Yeah, I agree. I'd like for them to test no radar before adjusting weapons for that reason.

One day we're going to get no radar and all the people who thought they needed it will realize how fun the game is without it. It also forces people to be aware of their surroundings and pay more attention to other audio/visual feedback systems like friendly indicators instead of playing selfishly. As a result, randoms would be more team-oriented over playing in their own little world.

I'd like to seem them do a no radar HCS featured playlist for about a month. I think they'd get enough data to know that universal settings is a bad idea, because despite the benefits of removing radar, the majority of the player base prefers to have it on.

Then they should just do the right thing and launch H6 with a radar free Team Arena, and a team objective with radar. Everyone will be happy.

No radar even made Destiny PvP better.

I'd like to seem them do a no radar HCS featured playlist for about a month. I think they'd get enough data to know that universal settings is a bad idea, because despite the benefits of removing radar, the majority of the player base prefers to have it on.

Then they should just do the right thing and launch H6 with a radar free Team Arena, and a team objective with radar. Everyone will be happy.

How about doing it fucking now instead of 2 years later.

Trup1aya

No radar even made Destiny PvP better.

How about doing it fucking now instead of 2 years later.

Now would be nice. But I imagine that the same flawed logic that lead them to impliment universal settings in the first place would prevent them from removing it now.

im even seeing arguments on TB that settings should be unified inorder to maintain the playlist population despite the facts that:

1) being limited to 14 gametypes has soured the general community on the playlist
2) Esports players and general players are so seperated by skill, that they rarely meet up. So the playlist is functionally split anyway. And when they do meet, it's usually a worthless matchup.

jg4xchamp

Finally got around to actually progressing in the Halo 5 campaign (mostly play mp, because Halo campaigns are suspect as fuck). Initially I was kind of at least into how much more vertical some of the levels are, but man it is amazing to me how solid Halo's core systems are in multiplayer, but those same systems are such a bore in campaign.

The Warden Eternal is already boring as sin, and I only beat like 2 versions of him, with 5 more to go apparently (why is that even a thing?), and the Prometheans are as shitty as ever. The Knights especially, I like the added touch to kill them quicker with the balls n the face, but when you get in a spot where Halo 5 gives you none of the proper precision weapons it is really irritating. Plus not being able to run them over is lame. I mostly dug the Sword of Sanghilios or whatever mission, you know, considering it was mostly Covenant.

m23

Finally got around to actually progressing in the Halo 5 campaign (mostly play mp, because Halo campaigns are suspect as fuck). Initially I was kind of at least into how much more vertical some of the levels are, but man it is amazing to me how solid Halo's core systems are in multiplayer, but those same systems are such a bore in campaign.

The Warden Eternal is already boring as sin, and I only beat like 2 versions of him, with 5 more to go apparently (why is that even a thing?), and the Prometheans are as shitty as ever. The Knights especially, I like the added touch to kill them quicker with the balls n the face, but when you get in a spot where Halo 5 gives you none of the proper precision weapons it is really irritating. Plus not being able to run them over is lame. I mostly dug the Sword of Sanghilios or whatever mission, you know, considering it was mostly Covenant.

Yeah, the campaign left me a bit disappointed. I enjoyed it, but it could have been much better. The best parts of the game were while playing as Blue team, I hope Halo 6 focuses on that.

Having just beat Gears 4, I think 343 needs to look at what Coalition did. Gears 4 did play it safe, but at the same time they had a bunch of new bosses thrown in, in game chatter was great, focused on what made Gears great, and all using new characters (for the most part).

At least 343 has them beat when it comes to those micro transactions.

Even my friends that aren't very invested in Halo multiplayer complain/mention radar every time. Radar isn't even loved by "casuals" across the board. They know that radar cheapens every encounter and discourages team play.

The only radar that even seems remotely okay is Counter Strike's way of doing it. You see the map on the radar and when a teammate kills an enemy or if you hear gun fire you see a blip in the general area on the radar's map. Being able to see your teammates on the radar is really ideal too.

Even my friends that aren't very invested in Halo multiplayer complain/mention radar every time. Radar isn't even loved by "casuals" across the board. They know that radar cheapens every encounter and discourages team play.

The only radar that even seems remotely okay is Counter Strike's way of doing it. You see the map on the radar and when a teammate kills an enemy or if you hear gun fire you see a blip in the general area on the radar's map. Being able to see your teammates on the radar is really ideal too.

Yeah I like that "radar", which is also the approach Titanfall 2 uses.

BizzyBum

Might as well just use the IW radar for Halo 6.

For anyone who hasn't played Infinite Warfare yet, the radar is freakin' huge. I wouldn't even call it radar, it's literally a damn map.

Cu7LY0xVMAAVEEe.jpg

Hope they don't tack an excuse that to remove"radar/motion tracker" would go against cannon or something along those lines.

I know radar has saved my butt plenty of times, but i would be interested in a playlist without radar. let's gather some receipts.

the malus

Neo Member
I'm still amazed how terrified 343 seems to be to test anything in matchmaking. I mean they said they would have some weekly changing playlist and what did we get? Snipers and Fiesta and that's it basically.
Why don't they try a classic playlist or objectives or anything and if no one plays it remove it after a week or two?

Sanjuro

Hope they don't tack an excuse that to remove"radar/motion tracker" would go against cannon or something along those lines.

I know radar has saved my butt plenty of times, but i would be interested in a playlist without radar. let's gather some receipts.

Keep the radar.

Add HUD option to disable it for those who don't want it.

Fixed!

Cranster

Banned
Me turning off my own radar wouldn't change the fact that my enemies will be rewarded for crouching in corners with autos when they keep there's on.
Then use the Motion Tracker.

Everybody has it and the removal of it will not solve issues regarding camping, especially if 343i continues to make terrible maps.

Sanjuro

There was never much of an argument when the main opposition's argument is, "It makes me less good.".

I'm all for an alternate playlist. Problem really is the people wanting it are in the minority, and Halo is already having issues locking down solid playlist options.

Top Bottom