• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Trup1aya

Then use the Motion Tracker.

Everybody has it and the removal of it will not solve issues regarding camping, especially if 343i continues to make terrible maps.

When people say radar, they are talking about motion tracker.

And yes it will solve many of the issues regarding camping. This is proven to be true. Camping with autos isn't nearly as effective, when the game isn't spoon feeding you enemy whereabouts.

Even the bad maps will probably play much better when radar is turned off.

There was never much of an argument when the main opposition's argument is, "It makes me less good.".

I'm all for an alternate playlist. Problem really is the people wanting it are in the minority, and Halo is already having issues locking down solid playlist options.

Who has this argument? The argument is that radar encourages tactics that slow the game down, it penalizes movement, and it rewards plays that aren't skillful.

Royal 2 is one of the best players in the world. And thanks to radar this is how he has to play in order to keep it that way: https://youtu.be/XuaOll6qD9Y

It's sad.

Beer is good, so God is real.

Am I doing it right?

Pretty much.

I mean, we had literally a decade of high level play to judge the merits (for the 'competitive' playlist at least) of the no-radar argument. It works just fine and camping was never an issue. Flanking is a big part of no-radar gametypes but is near impossible with radar, especially in its current form.

Just saying "I like this way, and despite years of evidence to the contrary, I'm gonna claim that such-and-such is a problem if you do it the other way" is not an argument. It's ridiculous.

I can understand people having personal preferences and that's fine. I don't think radar should be removed from everything, but the competitive gametypes, especially at the higher levels, really suffer for it. Not to mention that as a viewer, it makes HCS matches less exciting to watch.

The Flash

Banned
Stinkles visited Rooster Teeth today
CvErSpCUkAEESbQ.jpg
Look how happy he looks

Sanjuro

Who has this argument? The argument is that radar encourages tactics that slow the game down, it penalizes movement, and it rewards plays that aren't skillful.

You just used that argument as your point, although not directly.

Like the prior post there should be more options. I'm pretty sure they could come up with a variant that isn't SWAT, but different enough from team slayer.

Trup1aya

Like the prior post there should be more options. I'm pretty sure they could come up with a variant that isn't SWAT, but different enough from team slayer.

False.

If you really feel like allowing some people to disadvantage themselves by turning radar off of their HUD is a solution to the problems caused by radar, then you simply don't understand the argument.

No one argues that radar makes them less good. The problem is that the tactics required to excel when radar is default devolves the meta. I've posted this video already, but it's sad when a top 4 player spends an entire match crouching and hiding, because that's the behavior that these mechanics reward.

https://youtu.be/XuaOll6qD9Y

I can't fault him, for playing the hand he's dealt to the fullest. It's just a shame that the developer is reluctant to create an environment that rewards more exciting tactics.

You don't get it. Using radar isn't skill. It doesn't make you "better". It's a crutch that's unnecessary for all.

False.

If you really feel like allowing some people to disadvantage themselves by turning radar off of their HUD is a solution to the problems caused by radar, then you simply don't understand the argument.

He's implying that because you said it helps people with less skill, somehow means that it doesn't help those with skill, which I believe is his misunderstanding.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
My biggest issue with a no radar, HCS, playlist is that it breaks halo 5's rule of having a consistent experience in its game modes (well, ignoring the warzone only req system). i really like that i can currently play any playlist without adjusting playstyle to settings. but having a HCS playlist without radar and a social playlist with would be a lot for me to go back and forth between. what would likely happen, and what DID happen when older halo's did something similar, this distinction acted as a barrier to me playing in both playlists. i'd imagine i'm not the only one who may avoid a playlist that is different from the usual playlist.

in a perfect world halo could move to no radar in all playlists though. it does seem to me that radar is a crutch and offers free information to players and encourages dull gameplay whether i'm playing or watching pro games.

since that isnt happening, like, ever, i think turning team arena (already the HCS hopper) into radar less could work despite it alienating some. the benefits would outweigh the costs. but for the love of god EVERYTHING else should be untouched. i'd hate to see tweaks to abilities, movement, and weapons. the game SHOULD be as consistent in all game modes as possible to encourage people to play all it offers.

done rambling

My biggest issue with a no radar, HCS, playlist is that it breaks halo 5's rule of having a consistent experience in its game modes (well, ignoring the warzone only req system). i really like that i can currently play any playlist without adjusting playstyle to settings. but having a HCS playlist without radar and a social playlist with would be a lot for me to go back and forth between. what would likely happen, and what DID happen when older halo's did something similar, this distinction acted as a barrier to me playing in both playlists. i'd imagine i'm not the only one who may avoid a playlist that is different from the usual playlist.

in a perfect world halo could move to no radar in all playlists though. it does seem to me that radar is a crutch and offers free information to players and encourages dull gameplay whether i'm playing or watching pro games.

since that isnt happening, like, ever, i think turning team arena (already the HCS hopper) into radar less could work despite it alienating some. the benefits would outweigh the costs. but for the love of god EVERYTHING else should be untouched. i'd hate to see tweaks to abilities, movement, and weapons. the game SHOULD be as consistent in all game modes as possible to encourage people to play all it offers.

done rambling

I mean, this has never been the case. Breakout? SWAT? If "the premiere gametype" playlist of breakout can spend a whole year being completely different than every other gametype, I don't see how the HCS playlist doing something similar is bad. Not to mention breakout was in the playlist too for a while.

Sanjuro

You don't get it. Using radar isn't skill. It doesn't make you "better". It's a crutch that's unnecessary for all.

NOU

This is a pointless discussion, largely because the people who don't want it have all sorts of complicated reasoning which ends back in the same position. My notion about giving the HUD option is in jest, but in actuality it should be enough.

TCKaos

I mean, this has never been the case. Breakout? SWAT? If "the premiere gametype" playlist of breakout can spend a whole year being completely different than every other gametype, I don't see how the HCS playlist doing something similar is bad. Not to mention breakout was in the playlist too for a while.

Not to mention they already have different motion trackers in Arena and Warzone.

However, I'm all for consistency across gametypes. Maybe some of the frilly shit like motion tracker and such can get slight adjustments (or be removed), but I was never a fan of different times to kill or movement speed across different playlists. Either update nothing or everything.

Breakout is an exception, because it was a terrible idea and shouldn't have existed, and exists in Halo 5 instead of Ricochet which is a sin that can never be forgiven.

Sanjuro

Breakout I think could have been more fun if they randomly changed the maps and gameplay to classic variants randomly. Kind of like a glitch in the system throwback.

Instead it's just weird and dull.

BizzyBum

Anyone trying out Battlefield 1?

The graphics and sound design are top notch as usual from DICE but even though I can see how the multiplayer is good I never get hooked. It just seems like it's mostly a vehicle / snipe fest and there's about 1,000 ways you can die where 990 of those ways seem cheesy and unfair.

I guess I just prefer the more controlled environments of arena shooters.

The vast majority of people who advocate for motion tracker have never given trackerless competitive playlists a fair chance (and I understand why that is) whereas most players who have played a significant amount of both usually sing the praises of no motion tracker.

I used to argue that motion tracker was necessary until I decided to commit to playing the H3 MLG playlist for more than three games. Once pushed past the initial strangeness of wandering the map with no tracker, a whole other landscape of gameplay possibilities presents itself. Map routes that would be moot in a match with tracker on become a new way to outsmart the other team. Plus it absolutely solves the problem of camping; anyone who says otherwise is trolling or doesn't understand why camping is an effective strategy in motion tracker gametypes, and why it isn't in no tracker gametypes.

I don't think the no motion tracker war will ever be won in most playlists but the battle to have it removed from HCS shouldn't be one to begin with given how much could be gained without it and the 15 year history of competitive Halo.

Sanjuro

The graphics and sound design are top notch as usual from DICE but even though I can see how the multiplayer is good I never get hooked. It just seems like it's mostly a vehicle / snipe fest and there's about 1,000 ways you can die where 990 of those ways seem cheesy and unfair.

I never got into the later Battlefield titles. No idea on this one though, Amazon missed my release date shipment. :'(

the malus

Neo Member
I'm all for removing radar in team Arena (or any other playlist for that matter) but I think the base traits of the players should be left untouched. A lack of radar is immediately noticeable to everyone, however if you change for example the pistol from five shot to four shot only in that playlist, many people won't even notice or wonder why they died so fast until they read it up. A change in movement speed would probably go completely unnoticed by players not involved in the higher levels. Swat and breakout are okay because the difference to the other playlists is large enough to be immediately obious.

RDR2, Destiny 2 and maybe H3A in the fall next year, oh goddddddddd.

Never liked Battlefield games, if I want a realistic war simulation I'll join the military.

RDR2, Destiny 2 and maybe H3A in the fall next year, oh goddddddddd.

Never liked Battlefield games, if I want a realistic war simulation I'll join the military.

I hear real life is like an fps but with better graphics. But what happens if you get lag out there? You're dead. There's no respawns in real life.

I'm all for removing radar in team Arena (or any other playlist for that matter) but I think the base traits of the players should be left untouched. A lack of radar is immediately noticeable to everyone, however if you change for example the pistol from five shot to four shot only in that playlist, many people won't even notice or wonder why they died so fast until they read it up. A change in movement speed would probably go completely unnoticed by players not involved in the higher levels. Swat and breakout are okay because the difference to the other playlists is large enough to be immediately obious.

Agreed. If you take radar, you've got to leave just about everything else untouched, for the most part.

Layering BTB Pistol starts on top of no radar would be a sign of the apocalypse though

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

When I speak of "halo" I'm generally referring to 4v4 halo. Also, I lump breakout into all the other shitty fringe gametypes and ignore them; griff ball, infection, race, sumo, etc.

m23

Since I love halogaf so much
*cough* not *cough*
, I'll give you guys and girls first dibs.

I have codes for Gears 1-3 and Judgement. One per person, first to reply and post which you want.

I would think most people have these games but whatever.

edit: 2 and judgement are gone

JimiNutz

Banned
OK after getting increasingly frustrated with Gears PvP I've decided to buy Halo 5 and give the MP a try again.

I'm a very casual Halo MP player in the past but I actually want to get good at this one and prefer modes where everyone starts with the same weapons (so no individual loadouts or ability to call in vehicles).

What's the best mode for me to start with?

Also, how good is the skill based matchmaking in this game? I'm expecting to get stomped at first but would like to avoid playing with ridiculously good players.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
OK after getting increasingly frustrated with Gears PvP I've decided to buy Halo 5 and give the MP a try again.

I'm a very casual Halo MP player in the past but I actually want to get good at this one and prefer modes where everyone starts with the same weapons (so no individual loadouts or ability to call in vehicles).

What's the best mode for me to start with?

Also, how good is the skill based matchmaking in this game? I'm expecting to get stomped at first but would like to avoid playing with ridiculously good players.

Super Fiesta will let you learn weapons fast when it's up. Swat will teach you headshot discipline . War zone will let you hide and hang back while still contributing to team effort.

Trup1aya

He's implying that because you said it helps people with less skill, somehow means that it doesn't help those with skill, which I believe is his misunderstanding.

It's weird, because he made that comment after I said I don't want to play without radar while the rest of my opponents have it on.

The fact that he thinks making it a optional HUD element would solve the issue proves its a misunderstanding... It's just frustrating because it feels like he's being willfully ignorant.

Anyway, watching some pro no-radar scrims and it makes me excited for the future. Matches are so much more fun to watch.

Trup1aya

Since I love halogaf so much
*cough* not *cough*
, I'll give you guys and girls first dibs.

I have codes for Gears 1-3 and Judgement. One per person, first to reply and post which you want.

I would think most people have these games but whatever.

Offer still up? Gears 2?

Maaaaaaaan radar enabled is sooooo bad for doubles.

4v4 Arena is one thing but this is some next level stuff.

Yeah I love doubles so much, but radar and 343's terrible map design makes it more of a chore to play than working at my job.

I always love the idea and look of battlefield games. Heck, I even enjoy them. However, when it comes down to it, I usually bail on it within a couple weeks because I get sick of vehicles and random stuff just sending me straight to the re-spawn screen a few seconds after re-spawning. It gets very fatiguing.

Top Bottom