• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

m23

Which reminds me .. i need to sell my digital MCC and Gears 1-3 codes....

But, sorry no spare odst here :(

I doubt anyone is really going to pay for Gears 1-3 codes. People are giving them away for free all over GAF.

I received two codes for each just for buying Gears 4 and I already had all those games given to me when I bought Gears UE.

With Xbox One open to mobs on Skyrim and Halo 6 very likely hitting PC day and date with the XBONE version, you think there's any chance of 343i allowing small mods for Halo 6?

Like custom character skins or player models, a la the good ol' Quake days?

Obviously the hit box data and whatnot would be static, and there might either need to be an approval process, or limits to custom game usage, but it would still be fun.

Off topic: Rick and Morty is finally available on Netflix LATAM YEAH! :D

On Topic: I played yesterday 3 hours with my gf, the gameplay of Halo 5 is in a whole new level compared to other games from other franchises and even past Halo games

Antitype isnt in the halogaf company. He is in one stricly grinding for achilles.

To apply its within halowaypoint.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/spartan-companies/halogaf

Message to join and include your gaf name within. Gringo will accept or deny you haha!

submitted an application.

woo!

It is done. Achilles achieved!

*Switches to Achilles armor*

Meh.

*Switches back to Hunter armor*

lol, pretty much how i would expect myself to feel if i got achilles.

hunter is just too damn sexy.

BizzyBum

I have to say Gears 4 social playlist is great. Just join up, don't have to worry about quitters because bots fill up the spots until someone else joins, game ends and you vote on the next game type and you're in without leaving.

Halo 5 needs a system like this badly. Sometimes when a game ends and I'm back at the menu I debate if I want to play again. Do I really want to get sweaty again? If a social playlist kept me in a game I would most certainly keep playing longer.

You know it's perfect when the two of you play Halo together 😍, I love you! 💚💙

IbxR3V2.png

So far the no radar matches are kind of hectic and scrappy... I don't think it works with the halo 5 mechanics, and it's surprising to see a LOT is autos being used.

So far the no radar matches are kind of hectic and scrappy... I don't think it works with the halo 5 mechanics, and it's surprising to see a LOT is autos being used.
Keep in mind this is their first time playing no radar in a tournament setting with money on the line. You say it's hectic and scrappy, but I define that as more movement and aggression. Several moments we've seen where players were mind gamed or just simply not paying attention to their surroundings. Without radar, you need to take a wider approach to entering areas, as in you can't have tunnel vision as we've seen with some of these players occasionally. Habits like that need to be broken over time.

That being said, with sprint in mind I think this game could benefit with a Spartan Abilities-based radar that displays red dots when sprinting, ground pounding, etc. and when shooting. Unfortunately, 343 has not implemented this so it's all or nothing, which isn't necessarily a fair compromise for those who love radar. Let that sink in.. Me, The Prophet of No Radar, would like to see this compromise first before fully jumping into no radar. However, in Halo 5 since that option isn't there, I'd choose no radar over radar without hesitation.

Would this happen with radar? No. Give them some time to break these habits before dismissing no radar.

They won't get the opportunity to get used to it, not unless they start scrimping without radar but that would mess with their Pro League strats which is too risky.

I don't know how they could fine tune their no radar strats, the best thing to do is run around trying to flank each other or flying towards your opponent with an auto out.

Yeah that's the issue, not enough time to get reliable data because this is just a one-off event between two teams.

I think it would be better for 343 to release a no radar playlist that mirrors Team Arena. That would great to test.

BTM

Pretty interesting watching NV and LG with no radar. Huke seems to really like it, probably because he can just destroy that much more without it.

belushy

Banned
After this fall season they need to take a few months off and let the settings be tested in time for the HWC 2017. Have a few open lans to tide the teams over but at these tournaments run the no radar. That way by the time the real HWC circuit starts, they are used to it.

I do think its time to just go with no radar. For HCS, there is really no point in having it anymore. Its not really keeping casual fans tuned in at this point.

After this fall season they need to take a few months off and let the settings be tested in time for the HWC 2017. Have a few open lans to tide the teams over but at these tournaments run the no radar. That way by the time the real HWC circuit starts, they are used to it.

I do think its time to just go with no radar. For HCS, there is really no point in having it anymore. Its not really keeping casual fans tuned in at this point.

but, i mean, is it having a negative effect at all? [having radar on, that is]

i'm finding h5 pro league extremely entertaining so far... that no radar gameplay was also super fun to watch today, but i'm not exactly dissatisfied with the hcs circut at the moment either.

i'm of two minds about radar though, happy with or without it tbh.

Well that's it, no radar won't bring new players to halo or even viewers... it'll barely make a difference.

I'm personally skeptical, I didn't like what I saw today, but things could improve with time.
Would be good if sprinters showed imo, way too much sprinting today.

I think roughly zero casual fans have tuned into competitive Halo over the course of Halo 5's life-cycle.

Pushing esports was always backwards thinking. You make a game that a large audience loves, and then that audience becomes interested in high-level play. You don't push/broadcast high-level play and expect casual players to magically give a damn.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Watching last night's no radar invitational...

I don't want to form an opinion too early, teams will have to make adjustments and new meta will develop, but what I've seen of the series really looked messy. It'll take a lot more testing then one series to really see if no radar is better than radar in, and this is key, halo 5. It seems "the community" has already made up it's mind though, despite what I see as confirmation bias in full effect.

It would be really cool if at least some of these pro teams started scrimming more with no radar. That is what it'll take to truly see the effects of a change of this magnitude. Of course players likely would be against this, as they may develop bad habits without radar that would be heavily punished in a hcs radar game, but it also may really help develop better communication practices.

Last night's games were exciting. Halo 5 has been out for a year and shaking up the core meta to such an extent would make it interesting again. Even if no radar ultimately doesn't work out, we need to give it it's fair shake. Perhaps next season.

Very nice I guess, congrats.

(BTW the effort photoshopping out their name for some reason is probably negated by the ole' match history)

Thanks :) haha no it's not because of that, remember that I have a YT channel I don't want my trolls and haters to stalk her

Ade

Thanks :) haha no it's not because of that, remember that I have a YT channel I don't want my trolls and haters to stalk her

The sheer fact you have trolls and haters is how you know you've made it!

Congrats! Also, while I remember, I expect us all to be flooded with pics from the fanfest!

m23

Was watching the Halo Wars 2 trailer and I'm sure it was brought up before, but aren't the spartans in the game spartan IIs?

If so....blue team meeting up with them in the future?

It's funny how he brings up Stasis being similar to that COD map instead of Torque. I haven't played on Torque or seen it mentioned anywhere since 343 swept it under the rug.

They're both pretty similar, but I think Stasis is far better designed. Torque was COD-like, but I could directly compare it to a specific map.

Was watching the Halo Wars 2 trailer and I'm sure it was brought up before, but aren't the spartans in the game spartan IIs?

If so....blue team meeting up with them in the future?

You're assuming they all live past 343's kill boner
kappa
?

BizzyBum

I didn't realize how much better the aiming is in a custom game.

If you only play Halo 5 it won't be that noticeable because you get used to it, but when you play another shooter you realize how bad aiming is in Halo 5. COD, Battlefield 1, Titanfall, Gears 4 all are much better. H5 matchmaking aim is so sluggish and laggy.

Really hoping Halo 6 is much improved.

If you only play Halo 5 it won't be that noticeable because you get used to it, but when you play another shooter you realize how bad aiming is in Halo 5. COD, Battlefield 1, Titanfall, Gears 4 all are much better. H5 matchmaking aim is so sluggish and laggy.

yeah i first noticed it when playing forge customs on PC.

all of a sudden my aiming just felt... perfect.

can't seem to replicate it on console / team arena no matter what i try :/

Yeah, something definitely got lost in the transition to 60fps. COD, TitanFall, Gears 4 all feel super snappy and tight. Halo 5 has always felt a bit 'off' even after the update with more granular aiming options improved things.

Hopefully they fix it in the next game. I assume they'll have to at least take a look under the hood at the aiming, given the game is going to be out on both PC and Xbox One.

FyreWulff

Was this ever actually substantiated?

It's pretty much assumed at this point. All of MS first party games are Windows and Xbox going forward, and they've said Halo 5 in it's entirety wasn't ported because , paraphrasing, "we'd rather bring a game over that was made to work across Windows and Xbox first instead of retrofitting an existing one"

Ade

It's pretty much assumed at this point. All of MS first party games are Windows and Xbox going forward, and they've said Halo 5 in it's entirety wasn't ported because , paraphrasing, "we'd rather bring a game over that was made to work across Windows and Xbox first instead of retrofitting an existing one"

I thought that statement was redacted is all, I seemed to remember it getting altered to something like "most" games and was curious if we'd ever had an explicit "mainline halos are on PC" confirmation.

FyreWulff

I thought that statement was redacted is all, I seemed to remember it getting altered to something like "most" games and was curious if we'd ever had an explicit "mainline halos are on PC" confirmation.

I think if they did it with Gears 4 then Halo is coming over, at this point.

Especially with Scorpio being a thing, you'll have to make the game accomodate two versions of the One, so might as well make a PC version while you're implementing IQ diffs

Strider

I believe the statement redacted was just that all MS published titles wouldn't necessarily make it over to the W10 store... Probably in some cases where they don't own the IP and development studio.

I fully expect everything made by a MS owned studio with a MS owned IP to be Play Anywhere tho. Halo included.

--

Man I was so disappointed in the tech test for titanfall 2 but the full release version looks pretty damn good. A big improvement all around especially with the movement seemingly being faster and more fluid. Reeeeaaally tempted now.

I seem to remember at least a couple folks from here talking about getting TF2... Can't remember who tho.

BizzyBum

I'm getting Titanfall 2 on PS4.

Did anyone catch the Gears 4 MLG Invitational? The amount of hype and savagery is tenfold compared to Halo eSports. Then again, Halo eSports is mostly online.

One cool thing they had was a custom stream page where they had "quests" to complete to get free packs and contest swag by answering polls, retweeting the stream, and simply viewing. It was pretty neat and something I wish HCS had to be a little more interactive.

JimiNutz

Banned
Trying to fit in some Halo before bed.
It's only 11.30 pm in the UK and can't find enough players for a game of slayer - is the player population that bad???

Top Bottom