• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

I'm trying to play FFA but it seriously can't find a game. I know it's early but is the population that low?

Has anyone else had this happen to them before? I spawned outside of the normal playable area, sort of "stuck" to the geometry.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/MyExWlFE/video/22737405

That's cool, but I haven't seen that happen on coliseum before. I've had plenty of bad luck on certain Halo 4 maps, but nothing like that in 5.

The yellow initial spawns are fucked up. Same thing happened to me on a bit to the left of where you spawned.

In other news, playtesting is neat, right guys?

Hey at least it's not Bro Slayer from Reach. I remember standing too close to walls trying to get teammates to spawn only for them to instantly die in the geometry.

psyfi

Banned
Mantis Breakout is the worst mini game I've ever played, yikes.

Does anyone even like the Mantis? I hate using it. It's too slow and cumbersome for my tastes.

Edit : wait maybe tank world is the worst, just played it

The sheer fact you have trolls and haters is how you know you've made it!

Congrats! Also, while I remember, I expect us all to be flooded with pics from the fanfest!

Yeah you are right thanks man I appreciate it

and yes of course I will not let you down ;)

Mantis Breakout is the worst mini game I've ever played, yikes.

Does anyone even like the Mantis? I hate using it. It's too slow and cumbersome for my tastes.

Edit : wait maybe tank world is the worst, just played it
Mantis breakout is actually sort of fun if you're in a party. Definitely miles above standard breakout.

Tank world, on the other hand, is just misery. Its agonizingly slow, too many rounds end in ties and the map is just terrible. This is all on top of the tank controls being garbage and making the high ground actually a disadvantage. Tank World is just terrible.

Mantis breakout is actually sort of fun if you're in a party. Definitely miles above standard breakout.

Tank world, on the other hand, is just misery. Its agonizingly slow, too many rounds end in ties and the map is just terrible. This is all on top of the tank controls being garbage and making the high ground actually a disadvantage. Tank World is just terrible.

Lol you're insane. in no way is that better than regular breakout

TCKaos

Lol you're insane. in no way is that better than regular breakout

Mantis Breakout is cool because it's a slower, more methodical version of Breakout that simply wouldn't work in the standard gametype.

It allows for coordinated pushes, flanks and ambushes and the third person aspect allows you to collect more information to use to those ends. Breakout - even coordinated in a full party - still feels like a total blind clusterfuck where even the slightest slip-up will get you murdered seemingly at random and at this point it's so greatly divorced from the standard experience that I feel that its inclusion is damaging to the sandbox as a whole.

Mantis Breakout, though, is a fun spin on vehicle gametypes.

The real question is why isn't there Dino Blasters?

You might say there are no elites, or concussion rifles.

You might even say that there aren't jetpacks. And you'd be right.

BizzyBum

So I've been using the Xbox Elite controller seemingly fine and my friend I play with swears the Scuf he has is vastly superior and upped his game. This guy is a beast and he kept raving about it so I copied his controller configuration and ordered one myself.

Just tried it now and... IT FUCKING SUCKS. Or more specifically, the paddles are TERRIBLE. Everything else about the controller is pretty good. I actually do feel the scuf sticks are superior to the Elite, but the abysmal paddles make it unplayable for me.

I use all 4 paddles for Halo 5 (jump, thrust, crouch, reload) and the Elite paddles are fantastic. Very comfortable and responsive. The paddles on the Scuf are in an awkward position, you need a shit ton of pressure to click one, and if you need to utilize all 4 like me the inner paddles are literally impossible to use comfortably. It also doesn't have full button mapping customization like the Elite.

I'm pretty bummed because the sticks feel GREAT. If only I could take the Scuf sticks and put them on the Elite, or take the Elite paddles and put them on the Scuf and I would have the perfect controller. =(

So I've been using the Xbox Elite controller seemingly fine and my friend I play with swears the Scuf he has is vastly superior and upped his game. This guy is a beast and he kept raving about it so I copied his controller configuration and ordered one myself.

Just tried it now and... IT FUCKING SUCKS. Or more specifically, the paddles are TERRIBLE. Everything else about the controller is pretty good. I actually do feel the scuf sticks are superior to the Elite, but the abysmal paddles make it unplayable for me.

I use all 4 paddles for Halo 5 (jump, thrust, crouch, reload) and the Elite paddles are fantastic. Very comfortable and responsive. The paddles on the Scuf are in an awkward position, you need a shit ton of pressure to click one, and if you need to utilize all 4 like me the inner paddles are literally impossible to use comfortably. It also doesn't have full button mapping customization like the Elite.

I'm pretty bummed because the sticks feel GREAT. If only I could take the Scuf sticks and put them on the Elite, or take the Elite paddles and put them on the Scuf and I would have the perfect controller. =(

How exactly are the sticks different? I haven't researched it much myself.

BizzyBum

How exactly are the sticks different? I haven't researched it much myself.

I didn't do much research myself, honestly. I got the regular scuf concave and the grips are great and they just feel tighter. Feels like I have more control when aiming. Could just be in my mind though.

Madness

I didn't do much research myself, honestly. I got the regular scuf concave and the grips are great and they just feel tighter. Feels like I have more control when aiming. Could just be in my mind though.

Isn't the ridiculously sensitive Elite paddles a negative though. I would prefer slightly more pressure. I have been debating whether or not to build a Final Boss Scuf. I barely use my elite. Still use my base white sunset to play. Wonder what kind of controller will be with Scorpio. Any changes etc.

BizzyBum

Isn't the ridiculously sensitive Elite paddles a negative though. I would prefer slightly more pressure. I have been debating whether or not to build a Final Boss Scuf. I barely use my elite. Still use my base white sunset to play. Wonder what kind of controller will be with Scorpio. Any changes etc.

I love the sensitivity of the Elite paddles. It takes some getting used to but they are much, much easier to use and more comfortable to boot. It may depend on how many paddles you use, though. If you just use 1 or 2, the Scuf is manageable. I knew they were going to be stiffer but mine is really bad. Not sure if mine are busted or they are all supposed to be like that.

Dumb question but have we gotten any updates on anything recently? Like any info on new game types, maps, weapons, reqs, or anything? Just because the silence is somewhat making me want to play the game less with the other games out and I will find any excuse possible to play halo 5. But because battlefield and gears are out they feel fresher so I like playing them more.

Just hoping in a week or so we can get info on new stuff so some will return to the game.

Dumb question but have we gotten any updates on anything recently? Like any info on new game types, maps, weapons, reqs, or anything? Just because the silence is somewhat making me want to play the game less with the other games out and I will find any excuse possible to play halo 5. But because battlefield and gears are out they feel fresher so I like playing them more.

Just hoping in a week or so we can get info on new stuff so some will return to the game.

There is supposed to be one more update at least, with custom games browser.

PNut

Banned
Does anyone here remember when shotty snipers being in social slayer Halo 3 was a heated debate? I miss those days with Bunige and Halo.

Halogaf is irrelevant now:(

Sordid

Fired up Halo for the first time in a while yesterday, thought I'd try triple slayer since it's new. Focused search threw me into a game almost instantly \o/ shame it was borderline unplayable due to lag and people teleporting around. Focused indeed, I switched it off afterwards and played other games instead.

I really hope they add region/server selection to Halo 6. Even Gears has it and Gears games usually have lower populations than Halo.

FyreWulff

Does anyone here remember when shotty snipers being in social slayer Halo 3 was a heated debate? I miss those days with Bunige and Halo.

Halogaf is irrelevant now:(

I'm still amazed people acted like they were personally offended over the "shotty snipers 24/7" joke. Don't dish if you can't take it.

Fuchsdh

Shotty Snipers will forever be a shit game type for me because the people in high school TV studio only wanted to play H2 Shotty Snipers on Lockout. Every. Damn. Game.

I can't go back to that.

On the random side of things, was at a LAN this weekend and noticed for the first time Halo 3 let you check out all the game type settings in the lobby. Would be great to get that back.

Detective

Trying to fit in some Halo before bed.
It's only 11.30 pm in the UK and can't find enough players for a game of slayer - is the player population that bad???

Welcome to my world. I couldn't find anything on focused and balanced, played on extended , BAD idea. the game lags and has high latency. I haven't played wz assault in ages. Can't find anything there.

Its on top 17, was 15 two weeks ago. With new games launching soon, I expect worse than this.

My brother wanted to play some warzone yesterday after taking a break for months, couldn't find a match on balanced or focused so we tried extended. Unplayable. He literally deleted the game.

These dedicated servers only works when there are high population on your area. Otherwise we have to play on another server with lag and latency. Host based games would have been better than this, for me and my friends.

I wonder if 343i have something planned for the Halo 5 anniversary in 2 days?

I can't believe how fast time flies, now after 1 year all I have to say is that it has been a pretty good game sure it has it's flaws and it's not perfect but overall as a hardcore fan of the franchise since the day it was born (11/15/01) I'm happy with the game for example the multiplayer and gameplay is something very special (to me H5 has the best gameplay in the series) my only complain is on the campaign department but the rest of the package is amazing (Forge, CU, post launch support etc), my dear friend Stinkles, Tashi and the rest of 343 Industries you have done a good job you have my support KUDOS I wish you good luck and success in the future

Also I'm proud to say that Halo 5: Guardians is the crown jewel of my Youtube channel

52Eww5r.png

Fuchsdh

Yeah it feels like Halo 5's been around a lot longer. Doubt we'll get much for the release though unless they've been hoarding some content update they haven't mentioned.

Karl2177

I could make that if it were about 15 minutes late. Good luck though, it looks good! I've been watching some of the stream archives.

• Play some Halo 5 and match against teams while having quitters on my team. High % of my games are like this, whether it's going against stacked teams or dealing with quitters, it's an issue in Halo 5. I frequently check my team and enemy teams with HaloTracker to verify it.
  • Jump to TMCC and get matched in Halo 3 Last Resort in the Team Slayer playlist (4v4 on Last Resort in 2016, folks).
  • Next match, Halo 3 Assembly AR/Magnum starts. 2 enemies quit. Way to go 343, AR starts in Halo 3 in 2016.
  • Decide to try the CE playlist, doing work, I have about 16 kills, 0 deaths, while avoiding my teammate that keeps shooting at me. They finally betray me, happens again, still no boot option, decided to just let that ass get owned for the rest of the game as I didn't bother anymore.
Unbelievable. Now I'm going to try the BTB playlist, or should I say Halo 3 BTB. Let's see how that goes..

EDIT: Surprise surprise.. Halo 3 wins the vote. Don't let me down Sand Tarp..

EDIT 2: Spoilers:
Enemy team scored 3 flags in a few minutes; it wasn't fun at all.
Thanks Stinkles.

EDIT 3: Played a game of Halo 5 TS again, player on the enemy team quit, we win, match didn't even reach 50 kills, no fun found.

I just want to love Halo, but it's so difficult sometimes ;'[

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I can't believe how fast time flies, now after 1 year all I have to say is that it has been a pretty good game sure it has it's flaws and it's not perfect but overall as a hardcore fan of the franchise since the day it was born (11/15/01) I'm happy with the game for example the multiplayer and gameplay is something very special (to me H5 has the best gameplay in the series) my only complain is on the campaign department but the rest of the package is amazing (Forge, CU, post launch support etc), my dear friend Stinkles, Tashi and the rest of 343 Industries you have done a good job you have my support KUDOS I wish you good luck and success in the future

Also I'm proud to say that Halo 5: Guardians is the crown jewel of my Youtube channel

C u in November Jorge!

• Play some Halo 5 and match against teams while having quitters on my team. High % of my games are like this, whether it's going against stacked teams or dealing with quitters, it's an issue in Halo 5. I frequently check my team and enemy teams with HaloTracker to verify it.
  • Jump to TMCC and get matched in Halo 3 Last Resort in the Team Slayer playlist (4v4 on Last Resort in 2016, folks).
  • Next match, Halo 3 Assembly AR/Magnum starts. 2 enemies quit. Way to go 343, AR starts in Halo 3 in 2016.
  • Decide to try the CE playlist, doing work, I have about 16 kills, 0 deaths, while avoiding my teammate that keeps shooting at me. They finally betray me, happens again, still no boot option, decided to just let that ass get owned for the rest of the game as I didn't bother anymore.
Unbelievable. Now I'm going to try the BTB playlist, or should I say Halo 3 BTB. Let's see how that goes..

EDIT: Surprise surprise.. Halo 3 wins the vote. Don't let me down Sand Tarp..

EDIT 2: Spoilers:
Enemy team scored 3 flags in a few minutes; it wasn't fun at all.
Thanks Stinkles.

EDIT 3: Played a game of Halo 5 TS again, player on the enemy team quit, we win, match didn't even reach 50 kills, no fun found.

I just want to love Halo, but it's so difficult sometimes ;'[

this is why I just play the campaigns now. My time is too limited to deal with that garbage.

Top Bottom