• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Karl2177

After playing through the Titanfall 2 campaign and then playing some Firefight, it really disappoints me that Halo's PvE is what it is today.

Totally random, but it's so obvious how attracted you are to the top of the page post, Jorge lol.

Last page I saw your post as the last comment and I thought to myself, "I bet Jorge is gonna double post here to make the top of the page again, for the 1042754th time."
After playing through the Titanfall 2 campaign and then playing some Firefight, it really disappoints me that Halo's PvE is what it is today.
It's a thorn that's been in my side since Firefight Versus. PvE, PvE+P, etc. The potential of Forge + scripted AI is another one.

Madness

Same. Warzone Firefight feels like a bigger step back than even Spartan Ops. I enjoy it for what it is, but feels more like a grind/way to get players to spend REQ's to play/win.

Maybe Halo 6 will be different. Then again, what they're thinking of with Scorpio while still making sure the games run on xbox One, I think this console and budget and time constraints will stop them again.

Totally random, but it's so obvious how attracted you are to the top of the page post, Jorge lol.

Last page I saw your post as the last comment and I thought to myself, "I bet Jorge is gonna double post here to make the top of the page again, for the 1042754th time."

It's a thorn that's been in my side since Firefight Versus. PvE, PvE+P, etc. The potential of Forge + scripted AI is another one.

Ayy lmao ups 😓 hahaha my bad lately I don't have too much time to post so I try to be noted when I do? 😂

From the update:

WRAITH0912 asks “If you could add ONE new game mode idea to Halo 5 that ISN’T an old mode not present at launch (c’mon let’s get some innovation up in here), what would it be?”

Wow well I suppose there’s a reason I was and am a community person and not a designer because I’m not a great source of game mode innovation. But I’ll play along – how about a Sims-style simulator where you play the role of a Grunt and go through day-to-day activities with the end goal of eventually becoming an overpowered ass-kicking Grunt Goblin wreaking havoc on the battlefield. 

I'd play it tbh. Grunt Sim coming 2017, pass it around.

Fuchsdh

Halo 6 better have some wicked HDR. Just bought a 65" Samsung KS8000 and also last month had bought a 43" Sony X800D.

It's a first-party title, the Xbox One S will be a thing then still, so it's pretty much guaranteed.

Luckily P3 displays are coming out in full force now, so by the time I actually get around to getting another 4K display for my computer I should be able to get one that'll double as a solid HDR set for my gaming console.

Madness

It's a first-party title, the Xbox One S will be a thing then still, so it's pretty much guaranteed.

Luckily P3 displays are coming out in full force now, so by the time I actually get around to getting another 4K display for my computer I should be able to get one that'll double as a solid HDR set for my gaming console.

Yeah but I mean I hope it is something central to how they design Halo 6. 4K+HDR on Sanghelios and Genesis would be unreal. I just hope Xbox One and One S don't limit what they do with Scorpio.

EBLspartan

Neo Member
Unbelievable.

Italy, almost 15 PM of sunday
Team Slayer, Balanced
Did only 1 qualification match yesterday, past season was Diamond 6

Cannot find a single game. Only "Not enough players in this playlist" messages. How can this be possible?

Dammit, playing this game has become really impossible...
It makes me furious thinking that on Titanfall 2 is possible to find games in selectable servers with a very low ping even in less populated playlists (like 30-50 players total) in LESS THAN A MINUTE.

Just a bad joke.

PS: I don't try expanded simply because i care about my mental sanity.

Ade

Ive been unable to play Warzone Assault other than via lagtastic expanded matches for about 3 months, that issue is starting to spread to other playlists here in the UK now too.

Detective

Dont spread the words guys or Frankie comes and makes fun of you. :p

Halo 5 is getting les population each day in the past weeks in most played games. And these server issues does not help at all.

I literally can't play another shooter. My time is reserved for Halo 5. But almost each fucking match is full of lag or latency. I've never ever been so frustrated with a game in my entire life.

Pistol shots feels heavy, weapons switch takes ages.

But when it works, its just amazingly beautiful and satisfying.

EBLspartan

Neo Member

Halo 5 is getting les population each day in the past weeks in most played games. And these server issues does not help at all.

I literally can't play another shooter. My time is reserved for Halo 5. But almost each fucking match is full of lag or latency. I've never ever been so frustrated with a game in my entire life.

Excactly this, but population cannot be the only factory here. As i said on Titanfall 2 it tooks only a minute to find a reliable match on near server even if players in a certain playlist are 50 or less total.

I think that here is the rank filter the major responsible for those long times or total inability to play.

Soon 343 will have to make a choice: make everyone able to find a reliable match taking away skill filter, or isolating it in a custom matchmaking option, or stay like that and leave everyone outside USA in the mud.

When I get fed up with Halo 5 I play something else. And usually a good donging in Halo 2 Anny MP is always a nice treat.

Detective

Excactly this, but population cannot be the only factory here. As i said on Titanfall 2 it tooks only a minute to find a reliable match on near server even if players in a certain playlist are 50 or less total.

I think that here is the rank filter the major responsible for those long times or total inability to play.

Soon 343 will have to make a choice: make everyone able to find a reliable match taking away skill filter, or isolating it in a custom matchmaking option, or stay like that and leave everyone outside USA in the mud.

Maybe its all, I dont know.

If it's just rank filter than why platinum and silver matching onyx?

Or why matching a full party when playing solo either in WZ or arena? Am leaning more towards population.

JimiNutz

Banned
I've been lucky recently and have not been having any server issues in the UK.
Free For All is almost impossible to find games in but Slayer is usually pretty quick.

EBLspartan

Neo Member
Maybe its all, I dont know.

If it's just rank filter than why platinum and silver matching onyx?

Or why matching a full party when playing solo either in WZ or arena? Am leaning more towards population.

That's a good point. I don't know why is like that. But if rank filter in no more i really doubt that in europe on a sunday afternoon there aren't 7 players in the most popular playlist to play with...

Anyway i understand your point, but all remains odd to say the less.

Juan

I was thinking the same about this last Jorge's post, like "Hell dude, is he going to double post to get on the top of the page?

Yup.

Funny, but well, I think you should only double post like this (bottom of the page to top) only when you're posting something important/asking for feedback stuff/opinion & cie and you're worrying your post won't be saw.

I'm gonna miss Barvo :(

I appreciate Bravo, he's a cool dude, but tbh, I'm very happy to Ske7ch back because this dude is all about transparency and honesty. Don't want to tell Bravo wasn't honest, but I put my trust in Ske7ch when we will have important questions and needs for honest and quick feedback. Hell, he's first Q&A on HaloWaypoint was so damn good about those burning questions we were all asking for!

Plus, I hope we will heard less about esport and more about community content with Ske7ch, he had done an amazing job on Bungie.net back in the good old days (Hey Brian, I still remember this Halo Reach presentation in Paris, that was so good!).

I guess people like my bridge.

giphy.gif

dude, I really like the visual aspect from this bridge! About those Twitter stats, it's only a personnal thing, so you can't share a link about, you have to take a picture of your stats and post this picture. :)

I appreciate Bravo, he's a cool dude, but tbh, I'm very happy to Ske7ch back because this dude is all about transparency and honesty. Don't want to tell Bravo wasn't honest, but I put my trust in Ske7ch when we will have important questions and needs for honest and quick feedback. Hell, he's first Q&A on HaloWaypoint was so damn good about those burning questions we were all asking for!

Plus, I hope we will heard less about esport and more about community content with Ske7ch, he had done an amazing job on Bungie.net back in the good old days (Hey Brian, I still remember this Halo Reach presentation in Paris, that was so good!).
I like Ske7ch too, but I don't know if he has the level of autonomy people are expecting. Ultimately, isn't it a higher-up's position to let him know what questions can/cannot be answered? So in reality, although this interview at least commented on some issues, I don't think much will change in how transparent 343 is unless someone with more authority in PR gives the go-ahead.

That being said, I do like his writing style more than Bravo's. Bravo was a great community manager and it's sad we may not see as much as him as we're used to, but it's cool that an OG like Ske7ch is back.
i now have 1,730,000 req points...

if only i could use them to buy a string of games without quitters...
Let's combine our points to buy control over the playlist management of previous and future Halo games.

Akai__

So where the heck is the Observer mode that was announced all the way back in March during the HWC? We've seen it at events here and there. It looked really good, yet we've still got no word one way or another if it is even coming to the game at this point.

I think Josh briefly mentioned it in the Halo 5 Anniversary post:

...the introduction of more maps into the Warzone Firefight rotation, new Forge canvases, an improved spectator experience...

Juan

I like Ske7ch too, but I don't know if he has the level of autonomy people are expecting. Ultimately, isn't it a higher-up's position to let him know what questions can/cannot be answered? So in reality, although this interview at least commented on some issues, I don't think much will change in how transparent 343 is unless someone with more authority in PR gives the go-ahead.

That being said, I do like his writing style more than Bravo's. Bravo was a great community manager and it's sad we may not see as much as him as we're used to, but it's cool that an OG like Ske7ch is back.

You're absolutely right, if it doesn't come from the top head, Ske7ch alone won't do much, be at least, I know he will try to fight as hard as he can to be transparent (well, at least I hope he did not change his mind since he teamed up with 343).

I see his Q&A as a step in the right direction, by letting 34" know that they, maybe, should be more transparent about their process, even if it sometimes won't match what the community is expecting.

Wait and see as the saying goes.

Madness

Finally play Halo 5 after so long, think to hop into BTB, a CTF on recurve. 4 people on team quit 2 minutes into the match. I quit myself. Normally I always stay no matter what. But I don't think I have played a single day since launch where my matches did not have quitters. Just pathetic. Start banning these fucks for a month. If they don't come back, they don't come back. Even Gears 4 is plagued with quitters. It is the mentality these days to quit at the first sign of adversity with little to no consequence. Start preventing them from playing multiplayer for a week and you might see a change.

I don't understand quitters, is winning that important? Does the idea of losing that bad?

I get it in rocket league all the time, a team can be just 2 goals down and you can almost guarantee someone will quit, then they are in and out for the rest of the match.

Happens in all games, people suck.

NOKYARD

dude, I really like the visual aspect from this bridge! About those Twitter stats, it's only a personnal thing, so you can't share a link about, you have to take a picture of your stats and post this picture. :)
8700 impressions on Twitter. WAY more than any other i have posted so i assume people like bridges.

Anyway, nilla and i have released Avalanche.

I think Josh briefly mentioned it in the Halo 5 Anniversary post:
We have been pestering him for months to have Service Tag and Gamertag waypoints show up for both teams in Theater Mode live streams. It's annoying when they show for only one team on stream.

Madness

8700 impressions on Twitter. WAY more than any other i have posted so i assume people like bridges.

Anyway, nilla and i have released Avalanche.

We have been pestering him for months to have Service Tag and Gamertag waypoints show up for both teams in Theater Mode live streams. It's annoying when they show for only one team on stream.

343 get this map into BTB asap.

Akai__

The playlist management in Halo games remains to be a joke. Freaking Unearthed in Team Snipers. Next time I enter this playlist, 343i will greet me with maps like Escape from ARC or Raid on Apex 7...

Well I'm glad they've mentioned it. Hope it comes in the next update. It would help out the pro league spectating experience a lot, even if it doesn't fix the laggy reticles.

I absolutely hate Theater/Observer mode for this reason. This and the fact that I can't save clips/screenshots are still such a disappointment.

I'm not sure if that's really that much important, but I guess it could be an option.

So i finished Halo5 legendary by myself. That shit was not fun at all.

Edit: Glad to see ske7tch is back where he belongs, with halo. Whats his twitter, i wanna follow.

NOKYARD

I'm not sure if that's really that much important, but I guess it could be an option.

I just realized we are on different wavelengths. We don't use the spectate feature for our live streams. For Grifball the camera and commentators are in the actual game for a real-time live stream. We have been pushing to see waypoints in Machinema Mode so the commentator can identify players on the opposing team.

jem0208

So i finished Halo5 legendary by myself. That shit was not fun at all.

Edit: Glad to see ske7tch is back where he belongs, with halo. Whats his twitter, i wanna follow.
Besides the Wardens H5 on legendary was probably my favourite of the series. I never felt like the enemies were too billet spongey which can’t be said for previous titles.

Besides the Wardens H5 on legendary was probably my favourite of the series. I never felt like the enemies were too billet spongey which can’t be said for previous titles.

People think they are though, because they neglect using Promethean weapons against Prometheans.

Yes thats true, that last "3 warden plus turrets" was frustrating as hell. Thats where it honestly got really too cheap to be fun for me.

But also, i found that by yourself in general, you could not really play the game as it was intended.

Like i was constantly shooting from far away (even in the vehicles) cause if you got too close and played halo the way you would on Normal or Heroic, youre dead in 3 seconds. That last level with the mantis, mine got destroyed in about 20 seconds of getting into it.

So i had to:
- shoot from far away, get in cover
- wait for shield to come back

This to me isnt fun gameplay in general. On heroic i agree, i think its great gameplay. On legendary, its terrible.

People think they are though, because they neglect using Promethean weapons against Prometheans.

I did, and still had to redo it 20 times. The warden has 3 different kind of attacks that are mostly unavoidable unless youre in cover and when you are, runs at you with his sword. And thats if youre facing only ONE. Theres 3.

Fuchsdh

Yes thats true, that last "3 warden plus turrets" was frustrating as hell. Thats where it honestly got really too cheap to be fun for me.

But also, i found that by yourself in general, you could not really play the game as it was intended.

Like i was constantly shooting from far away (even in the vehicles) cause if you got too close and played halo the way you would on Normal or Heroic, youre dead in 3 seconds. That last level with the mantis, mine got destroyed in about 20 seconds of getting into it.

So i had to:

This to me isnt fun gameplay in general. On heroic i agree, i think its great gameplay. On legendary, its terrible.

I did, and still had to redo it 20 times. The warden has 3 different kind of attacks that are mostly unavoidable unless youre in cover and when you are, runs at you with his sword. And thats if youre facing only ONE. Theres 3.

That's basically most recent Halo games on Legendary. CQC gets dramatically less effective because your melees don't do much damage, the enemies have insane counters (Elites instal-dropkick you to death in Reach before you can go in for the melee, and Soldiers have a similar if slightly less annoying quick punch in H5.) Since you die quickly, the only real effective weapons are noob combos or headshot-capable weapons, so a lot of the combat sandbox is simply not worth picking up unless you have no other options.

The only Halo games IMO that had a decent Legendary experience were CE and ODST. For the rest, I'm not sure why you'd play on Legendary for fun solo.

Trup1aya

Outside of the light Rifle, the promethean portion of the sandbox just isn't fun or rewarding. the artificial damage boost for using Promethean weapons against promethean enemies is contrived. And their battle behaviors are uninteresting.

When your only choice is between using fun, yet ineffective weapons, or effective yet unrewarding weapons, then there has been a massive design failure.

Fuchsdh

Outside of the light Rifle, the promethean portion of the sandbox just isn't fun or rewarding. the artificial damage boost for using Promethean weapons against promethean enemies is contrived. And their battle behaviors are uninteresting.

When your only choice is between using fun, yet ineffective weapons, or effective yet unrewarding weapons, then there has been a massive design failure.

It's as contrived as Covenant weapons being more effective against the Covenant. By which I mean, who cares? It's there for sandbox balancing.

JimiNutz

Banned
I think they did a really good job with all of the weapons in Halo 5.
What's so bad with the Promethean weapons? I think they're fun to use and all the light flying everywhere is a pretty nice effect visually.

Top Bottom