• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

TCKaos

*Open REQ pack*

Oh, cool the Phaeton Helios Cert. lets see how it works...

*8 REQ levels later*

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_5vsks39rhrc48g4cw40kgkogk_640.gif

This thing is amazing. I just took down Orange Warden in 40 seconds and Red in a minute. it should be criminal to use this outside of Warzone Firefight you can basically dominate the field.

And I love it!

Shhhh don't use it in Firefight. Use that shit against people. It's easily one of if the best if not the best vehicle in the game.

Also to me observer mode is pretty pointless if the theater and spectator modes are going to continue having weird network based inaccuracies (ie: people in first person not aiming anywhere even remotely near where the shot lands). It's a bunch of frills for a thing that ultimately doesn't function as needed.

Yeah, but you'll probably only get maybe 3 or 4 more in your entire life (trust me), so those few times you do play warzone or assault could be that much more enjoyable.
Or they'd spawn one in Warzone, have an enemy EMP their Helios and proceed to get rekt by something they could have had fun with in Firefight lol.

It's arguable.

EDIT:
That's what Wheelman is for.
Assuming of course they have Wheelman. Also assuming they don't have a team full of quitters. Also assuming they're not playing against farmers who won't get locked down by a Helios. Also assuming of course they even enjoy pvp.

WHOLE LOTTA ASS
uming

jem0208

No, completely different. With Chief, i have history. I care about the character because i know the character well and ive been playing the story primarily "through him" since 2001. Its like seeing an old friend, its always better when there has been some history.

Locke had no history, he and his crew are just forced in because of that stupid false advertised campaign commercials. You could remove him from the story and it would literally have made very little difference overall.
Chief is still a complete non-character. The only reason people want to play as him is because of nostalgia. I'd much rather 343 add a new, interesting character for us to play as. Sadly they didn't make Locke particularly interesting...

So I was fed up with being matched against teams of 3-4 in my first 4 Slayer games this season and I decided to quit the next 6 games as soon as they started.

Here's what it looked like after (Note - I was banned after every 2 games. 1st ban was like 10 mins, 2nd ~20 mins, 3rd ~40 mins):
Played one game after and my rank appeared: Diamond 4. Ended last season around Onyx 1700. This was a nice experiment, for science.

Is this the season where you can drop divisions?

Madness

Chief is still a complete non-character. The only reason people want to play as him is because of nostalgia. I'd much rather 343 add a new, interesting character for us to play as. Sadly they didn't make Locke particularly interesting...

Yeah who wants to play as Link in a Zelda game, Sonic in a Sonic game. They are non characters. Metroid could totally work without Samus who never speaks and and you barely see her outside of turning into a ball... you are far in the minority here if you think Chief is only nostalgia to Halo. He is Halo. He is always going to be Halo. And 343 is legitimately terrified on how to take the series forward without him considering Spartan Ops, Halo 5 story was negatively received.

One off stories like Reach and ODST doable. But once Chief is gone in the mainline, you won't see as big an embrace. Even The Coalition realized this and tried to tie Marcus into Gears 4 story so much.

Juan

Yeah who wants to play as Link in a Zelda game, Sonic in a Sonic game. They are non characters. Metroid could totally work without Samus who never speaks and and you barely see her outside of turning into a ball... you are far in the minority here if you think Chief is only nostalgia to Halo. He is Halo. He is always going to be Halo. And 343 is legitimately terrified on how to take the series forward without him considering Spartan Ops, Halo 5 story was negatively received.

One off stories like Reach and ODST doable. But once Chief is gone in the mainline, you won't see as big an embrace. Even The Coalition realized this and tried to tie Marcus into Gears 4 story so much.

Well, to be honest, I can't wait for 343 to kill Master Chief, or make him fade away, because from my perspective, they don't know how to handle this character, and I would rather enjoy a brand new story like Reach or ODST rather than a poor written Halo game just to keep Chief as the main protagonist.

blamite

Honestly I kinda wish they would've shifted away from the Chief with the start of the new trilogy (saga, whatever). Either leave him floating in space and move entirely to the new generation of Spartans, maybe you play as someone on a mission to find him, and then you do, and he ends up taking more of a commander-type role. But I don't really like the way he's been used so far. H6 in particular took him and Blue Team (who had the potential to be really cool characters) and just made them all incredibly bland, and just had them do dumb stuff for unclear reasons.

Locke himself wasn't a standout character, but he wasn't unlikeable, and I genuinely liked the rest of Osiris and want to see more of them in the future. It was a real disservice to those characters to have their entire plotline (and everyone else's) revolve around the Chief's dumb story.

I think at this point I want a story that's more in the background than being forced to us. A Halo game designed like Metroid Prime, for example. Something where in the campaign you have to acquire new Armor Abilities, and use them to gain access to new areas.
  • Holograms to disrupt laser-protected entrances gating off an area
  • Jet Pack to reach new heights
  • Speed Boost to run pass closing doors
  • etc.
Some abilities you'd have to cycle through, mix/match, while others would be added to base abilities. Let's get that Metroid Halo game ;]

Trup1aya

But that's just it, actually getting a kill with the Suppressor is an achievement of its own lol. That weapon is doo doo butter in multiplayer, which is why they replaced it with the Song of Peace on The Pit. Now if you're talking about Suppressors in general because of its homing abilities, then fair enough :b

Well yeah default suppressor makes up for its lack of damage with its ease of use. But I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would think an easier to use AR would add anything to the sandbox or why adding an even easier version of the surpressor makes sense on MP maps "tuned for competitive".

Getting a kill with a surpressor usually means the enemy was already weak or fully out in the open before being caught unaware. In either case, it's more satisfying to get the same kill better sandbox weapons.

lol exactly

Well, to be honest, I can't wait for 343 to kill Master Chief, or make him fade away, because from my perspective, they don't know how to handle this character, and I would rather enjoy a brand new story like Reach or ODST rather than a poor written Halo game just to keep Chief as the main protagonist.

It was poorly written because it was a shitty writer, not because of the character.

Juan

It was poorly written because it was a shitty writer, not because of the character.

Hmmm, depends to be honest.

Master Chief was more of the silent type, and the story wasn't about him before, now, it kinda is, so we could say that, yes, it was poorly written because of someone, or that the character wasn't optimal for this kind of story.

What I mean is that 343 want to tell human stories rather than big space opera conflict stories, but they had to deal with the fact that the audience wanted to keep the Chief, so from that, their desire could not match the type of character Master Chief is.

That why I would rather let go Chief to get the human stories they want to tell.

Master Chief was more of the silent type, and the story wasn't about him before, now, it kinda is, so we could say that, yes, it was poorly written because of someone, or that the character wasn't optimal for this kind of story.

What I mean is that 343 want to tell human stories rather than big space opera conflict stories, but they had to deal with the fact that the audience wanted to keep the Chief, so from that, their desire could not match the type of character Master Chief is.

That why I would rather let go Chief to get the human stories they want to tell.

They gave us a human story with Locke and his live action series..did you enjoy that?

Juan

They gave us a human story with Locke and his live action series..did you enjoy that?

Mostly, yeah. It was a 5 minutes story elongated on several episodes, but it showed me that Locke was not just an assassin and he had a moral, which was well translated in Halo 5.

Yeah, the plot was terrible and the "action phase" weren't great, even the ending with the Spartan was meh, but the goal of this live action was to make Locke more human, and from that perspective, I think 343 succeeded.

Welfare

Yeah, Master Chief is Halo. How someone can argue that is crazy.

If there is a new, interesting character, it would be best that they are a side character. Arbiter, Sgt. Johnson, Guilty Spark, etc. are interesting, but you don't need to play as them in order for the story to be good. 343 has yet to prove they can make an interesting ensemble and trying to push uninteresting characters front and center is not smart.

Considering chief is barely in the game to begin with and the focus was practically all on Locke, this theory really doesn't hold up.

Juan

Considering chief is barely in the game to begin with and the focus was practically all on Locke, this theory really doesn't hold up.

It doesn't need to hold up. Just imagine Halo 5 without playing the Chief once and being all about Locke.

Yeah, sure a lot of people, maybe you, don't like Locke and want to play as Chief, but within Halo 5, if you weren't playing Chief once, you would only see the story trough Osiris pov, and from that, the marketing would probably be more trustworthy, and you could have think that, yeah, Chief was a traitor.

From that, I truly think 343 wanted to ditch out Chief from Halo 5 and focus only on Locke and the hunt for the Chief, but they had to deal with the wish of the community, which was being Chief, so they added some missions with him. And it, sort of, ruined a somewhat good idea.

Idk juan. If they told me cheif wasnt in halo 6, my probability of wanting to buy it went from 100% to 15%

15% depending on if they improved mp mm/playlist etc.

jem0208

Idk juan. If they told me cheif wasnt in halo 6, my probability of wanting to buy it went from 100% to 15%

Honestly?

The gameplay is identical when playing as Locke and there's no reason that a story without playing as the Chief couldn't be good (ODST and Reach prove that). Although I think he'd be pretty important in H6 considering previous events. As Juan says though, if after 6 we get a brand new cast of characters and a new story I would be really pleased.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Chief and I have just as much nostalgia for him as you lot, I'd also be pretty pissed if it turned out that H6 didn't include him. He's just not an interesting character.

Juan

Oh me too you know in a certain way. I mean, Halo 4 and Halo 5 got a story around Master Chief and Cortana, so right now, I want the end of this story with Halo 6, even if I'm not very hyped for the next Halo games (at least, I hope Halo 6 will be the end of this Evil-Cortana era and it won't end with a new cliffhanger).

But after Halo 4, and even Halo 3, if you were telling that Chief is gone and it would only be new stories, with new characters and locations, I would have been more than okay.

I mean, ODST, Halo Wars and Reach did a great job by doing great games without having to cast the Chief (at least for myself, I enjoyed those games, maybe not everyone, and even if, I'm not sure it would be because Chief wasn't there).

Akai__

Almost fell asleep during that Slayer game on Eden. E6 throwing it last second. lol

Now for the match-up we have all been waiting for Optic vs nV.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It doesn't need to hold up. Just imagine Halo 5 without playing the Chief once and being all about Locke.

Yeah, sure a lot of people, maybe you, don't like Locke and want to play as Chief, but within Halo 5, if you weren't playing Chief once, you would only see the story trough Osiris pov, and from that, the marketing would probably be more trustworthy, and you could have think that, yeah, Chief was a traitor.

From that, I truly think 343 wanted to ditch out Chief from Halo 5 and focus only on Locke and the hunt for the Chief, but they had to deal with the wish of the community, which was being Chief, so they added some missions with him. And it, sort of, ruined a somewhat good idea.

i never really thought about it like this, but thats an interesting take. think my next campaign romp will be doing just this - all locke, no chief.

wait, nm. lockes missions fucking sucked.

Sanjuro

All I remember from Halo 5 single player campaign is some cool music kicked in when I was stuck on a solo legendary bridge for an hour or so.

i never really thought about it like this, but thats an interesting take. think my next campaign romp will be doing just this - all locke, no chief.

wait, nm. lockes missions fucking sucked.

Absolutely not. The backlash against playing Master Chief for only 3 missions was loud and noticable.

Halo 6 or whatever will most definitely be Master Chief and Blue Team, Arbiter, and Fireteam Orisis going it against Cortana together, with Master Chief as the headliner.

Probably some sort of pick your squad mechanic

JimiNutz

Banned
Surely Master Chief won't survive forever, I mean the voice actor has gotta be aging right? Will they replace the voice actor to keep Chief alive or kill him off?

I always thought the introduction of Locke was done to try and set up a suitable replacement for John if he is to die at the end of Halo 6?

There are ways of going about it. Theres no need to "get rid of chief" on main Halo games. Hes the guy 95% of people play this franchise for.

That doesnt stop them from doing ODST type side games and focusing on other characters. It doesnt always have to be a "main" halo game. Why do we have to kill chief when everyone can get what they want? I really dont agree with you and im sure most Halo fans wont either.

Juan

There are ways of going about it. Theres no need to "get rid of chief" on main Halo games. Hes the guy 95% of people play this franchise for.

That doesnt stop them from doing ODST type side games and focusing on other characters. It doesnt always have to be a "main" halo game. Why do we have to kill chief when everyone can get what they want? I really dont agree with you and im sure most Halo fans wont either.

You know, I've met many Halo fan who thought you were playing as Cortana because that's the one always speaking when you're playing.

Pretty dumb yeah, but that's just an example to show that for many fans, they don't really care about the Chief. I play since Halo CE and see how much it would change something to me if the character was out of the main game... Not very much (but that's a personnal pov).

Master Chief is a good advertising tool, that's what he was for Halo 4 (Chief is back!) and Halo 5 (Chief is a traitor), but that would not change the story very much if you were playing someone else.

I said "Kill the Chief", but putting him into a cryo-sleep would be good enough, or any other excuse. Kill was just a way to see the thing more than really killing him.

But one day or another, you will have to face the fact that the main Halo game will get rid of the Chief (mostly because Steve Downes, the voice of Master Chief, is thinking about retire, and trust me, you would be much more upset by hearing an other voice behind the Chief than just saying him goodbye).

jem0208

I would genuinely like them to move to a different story line without the Chief etc. after H6.

Kinda like Bioware are doing with Mass Effect: Andromeda. Tell a big new story with new characters. I don't want a side plot like Reach or ODST, I want a new trilogy. Halo's universe is incredibly rich, it's not just the Chief and Cortana. There's a lot of room for them to write something new.

Trup1aya

I would genuinely like them to move to a different story line without the Chief etc. after H6.

Kinda like Bioware are doing with Mass Effect: Andromeda. Tell a big new story with new characters. I don't want a side plot like Reach or ODST, I want a new trilogy. Halo's universe is incredibly rich, it's not just the Chief and Cortana. There's a lot of room for them to write something new.

I'd actually be ok with a "side" story, that was also a new trilogy with new characters.

There's so much going on in the Universe, that they don't have to stick to The trials of MC to tell a good story.

I agree, but if they want to give us a new main character and new stories, they need to rip the bandaid off and give it to us. The Halo 5 method was one giant mixed bag.

Detective

If 343i made Halo 5 like the reach the animated series that came with halo 5, it would have been something else.

Back story
Great story
Foundation of Blue team. Get to know them.
Young Chief.
New places

Then Halo 6.

No Osiris BS.

It would have been the best Halo Imo.

Madness

I'd actually be ok with a "side" story, that was also a new trilogy with new characters.

There's so much going on in the Universe, that they don't have to stick to The trials of MC to tell a good story.

No they don't but good luck getting the game to sell. Generic Shooter 7 without the face of the franchise isn't going to do much. It is why they call the game Halo still without any of them having to do with a ring the past two games essentially. But it is also why the Legendary ending for Halo 5has Cortana humming and we see another Installation. So they can tie Halo 6 back with Halo rings and get some nostalgia back.

Halo is a mature shooter, in the tail end of it's series potential now, struggling with a generation of gamers growing up with CoD, Battlefield and other games at the forefront. They don't care about Ur-Didact and ancillas and all the post Halo 3 story. The average fan does not know who Palmer is. They responded very negatively to Osiris Team in Halo 5. The story was panned.

I am not saying we play with Chief well into our own twilight years, but they have bungled the story ever since Halo 3. In terms of games, no one cares. In terms of expanded universe, is the average reader or gamer even aware of anything beyond Chief, Arbiter, Covenant?

When you say you'd love to play a new game with a new trilogy with new characters, what makes you think it would be any different than the reception Palmer and Thorne and Osiris Team got? What was the reason Buck was received so favorably for Osiris Team? Why was Blue Team favored over Osiris Team?

jem0208

No they don't but good luck getting the game to sell. Generic Shooter 7 without the face of the franchise isn't going to do much. It is why they call the game Halo still without any of them having to do with a ring the past two games essentially. But it is also why the Legendary ending for Halo 5has Cortana humming and we see another Installation. So they can tie Halo 6 back with Halo rings and get some nostalgia back.

Halo is a mature shooter, in the tail end of it's series potential now, struggling with a generation of gamers growing up with CoD, Battlefield and other games at the forefront. They don't care about Ur-Didact and ancillas and all the post Halo 3 story. The average fan does not know who Palmer is. They responded very negatively to Osiris Team in Halo 5. The story was panned.

I am not saying we play with Chief well into our own twilight years, but they have bungled the story ever since Halo 3. In terms of games, no one cares. In terms of expanded universe, is the average reader or gamer even aware of anything beyond Chief, Arbiter, Covenant?

When you say you'd love to play a new game with a new trilogy with new characters, what makes you think it would be any different than the reception Palmer and Thorne and Osiris Team got? What was the reason Buck was received so favorably for Osiris Team? Why was Blue Team favored over Osiris Team?

Halo is going to sell well regardless on name alone. It may not be breaking records anymore but it's still a multi-million selling franchise. The story in H5 and Osiris were negatively received because they were poorly conceived and badly written. There's absolutely no reason why a well written set of new characters in a new story wouldn't be well received.

Also people like Buck entirely because of Nathon Fillion.

op_ivy

As far as campaigns in the future, i'm with trup1aya. once this latest chief adventure is wrapped up, lets do something different with new characters. how about a trilogy playing through the events of the forerunner/human wars ending in the firing of the rings? imagine the freedom to create 343 could have, the entirely new sandbox. it would all feel so fresh yet familiar with the halo gameplay. this would get me excited as hell and i'd wager casual gamers in general too. its also a way to wipe the slate clean and start new on a story making it more accessible to those that arent necessarily diehards.

shoe-horning in chief forever is a bad idea IMO.

Good Pro league matches last night. Getting hyped for the finals.

i'm finally getting caught up on day 2 of last week. having a hard time getting into it with no real team for me to root for. got into the scene because of ninja but he doesnt seem to care much about halo these days and EG is falling apart. i do like a lot of liquid and lg though, just wished some of these guys streamed more scrims or regular matchmaking to get to know them better.

and i know some of the optic players stream quite a bit, but i'm not a fan. more of an under dog kind of guy.

jem0208

As far as campaigns in the future, i'm with trup1aya. once this latest chief adventure is wrapped up, lets do something different with new characters. how about a trilogy playing through the events of the forerunner/human wars ending in the firing of the rings? imagine the freedom to create 343 could have, the entirely new sandbox. it would all feel so fresh yet familiar with the halo gameplay. this would get me excited as hell and i'd wager casual gamers in general too. its also a way to wipe the slate clean and start new on a story making it more accessible to those that arent necessarily diehards.

shoe-horning in chief forever is a bad idea IMO.

i'm finally getting caught up on day 2 of last week. having a hard time getting into it with no real team for me to root for. got into the scene because of ninja but he doesnt seem to care much about halo these days and EG is falling apart. i do like a lot of liquid and lg though, just wished some of these guys streamed more scrims or regular matchmaking to get to know them better.

and i know some of the optic players stream quite a bit, but i'm not a fan. more of an under dog kind of guy.
Root for Str8. Those guys have had it rough the past two seasons and they’re finally starting to see some success. Hopefully they’ll make it to the finals.

Also in terms of starting a new story I think if marketed well it could be very successful. A brand new story means there’s no barrier to entry for new players. We’re 5 games into Chiefs story which is quite intimidating for those who haven’t been following the entire time.

Whist I’d love to see a game set in ancient forerunner wars, it’d be too risky. You’d lose far too many of the recognisable aspects of Halo like the UNSC, Covenant, Spartans etc. It would alienate a lot of fans who aren’t familiar with the lore.

op_ivy

Root for Str8. Those guys have had it rough the past two seasons and they’re finally starting to see some success. Hopefully they’ll make it to the finals.

i dont like them (dont ask why). i think i just tend to root more for players then teams, i wonder why (ha), and these latest team shakeups lost me a bit.

Top Bottom