• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

That's basically most recent Halo games on Legendary. CQC gets dramatically less effective because your melees don't do much damage, the enemies have insane counters (Elites instal-dropkick you to death in Reach before you can go in for the melee, and Soldiers have a similar if slightly less annoying quick punch in H5.) Since you die quickly, the only real effective weapons are noob combos or headshot-capable weapons, so a lot of the combat sandbox is simply not worth picking up unless you have no other options.

The only Halo games IMO that had a decent Legendary experience were CE and ODST. For the rest, I'm not sure why you'd play on Legendary for fun solo.

I wanted the achievements. And pride. :p

Here is his twitter account

https://twitter.com/ske7ch

thx

Trup1aya

I actually quite like the Suppressor. Spooling it up and unleashing a glowing stream of fire is quite satisfying.

When using the surpressor I never feel like 'I just did a cool thing'. It feels like the game did everything for me.

Being killed by it, also feels cheap. As if the enemy didn't earn anything. They just sprayed and didn't even have to pray.

When using the surpressor I never feel like 'I just did a cool thing'. It feels like the game did everything for me.

Being killed by it, also feels cheap. As if the enemy didn't earn anything. They just sprayed and didn't even have to pray.
But that's just it, actually getting a kill with the Suppressor is an achievement of its own lol. That weapon is doo doo butter in multiplayer, which is why they replaced it with the Song of Peace on The Pit. Now if you're talking about Suppressors in general because of its homing abilities, then fair enough :b

jem0208

But that's just it, actually getting a kill with the Suppressor is an achievement of its own lol. That weapon is doo doo butter in multiplayer, which is why they replaced it with the Song of Peace on The Pit. Now if you're talking about Suppressors in general because of its homing abilities, then fair enough :b

The homing doesn't actually make it any easier to use compared to the AR for example.

The suppressor requires that you have a red reticule when you fire to enable homing. So it's no easier to aim than an AR.

belushy

Banned
Nice to see. https://twitter.com/ske7ch/status/795782430363787264

MLcN0Zi.png

After beating twice the Call of Duty Infinite Warfare campaign it feels like a prequel to Halo Wars set on the UNSC vs Insurrectionists era, good campaign I like it

belushy

Banned
For Observer mode some things I want:

-Casters in the lobby (no more joining after the game has already started please....)
-Change Team names (so we can put "Evil Geniuses" and "Team Liquid" on the screen without post editing)
-Power weapon and powerup timers on screen.

Fuchsdh

Been putting in work on those first strike medals.

Qualifying for your rank in silver/gold/plat tier makes me feel like I'm actually good at Halo sometimes...

JimiNutz

Banned
OK I'm extremely late to the party but...
Just finished campaign.

Based on what I'd heard I had no interest in playing it. I didn't like Halo 4 campaign outside of a few levels and I'm not THAT into Halo in general. I was bored though and gave it a spin on nornal just to pass the time.

Fucking loved it!

The biggest piece of praise is something that applies to both the MP and SP and that's the general feel of the game and weapons. They've done a fantastic job making you feel like a powerful super solider in armor that essentially makes you a walking tank. The Spartan abilities are awesome and all of the different weapons feel meaty and useful. So glad they went for 60FPS as well. Would take that over shiner graphics any day.

Prometheans are a lot less annoying to fight now. I wouldn't say they are as fun as the Covenant but certainly more fun than the Flood were and a lot less boring than they were in Halo 4.

Storyline was less confusing than Halo 4 and unlike a lot of others im really interested to see where it goes in Halo 6. The Elite homeworld was a nice touch and made me want a spin off game where we play as Elites only.

Also, made me want a big budget (mostly CGI) Halo movie. The cutscenes in this were superb and the action looked amazing.

Overall I was very pleasantly surprised, why did everyone hate it?

jem0208

Overall I was very pleasantly surprised, why did everyone hate it?

Whilst it was easy to follow the story was kinda shit. It was basically entirely filler/setup and it completely ignored basically everythign Halo 4 did. I'm quite looking forward to what happens in H6 because of what happened in 5, but as a standalone 5's story was bad.

Besides that I have no idea why everyone hates it. The gameplay and level design is some of the best in the series.

Whilst it was easy to follow the story was kinda shit. It was basically entirely filler/setup and it completely ignored basically everythign Halo 4 did. I'm quite looking forward to what happens in H6 because of what happened in 5, but as a standalone 5's story was bad.

Besides that I have no idea why everyone hates it. The gameplay and level design is some of the best in the series.

I dont hate it, i hated playing as Locke. Feels like a forced-in useless character overall. His whole crew felt completely useless to this story.

BizzyBum

After playing Infinite Warfare and Titanfall 2's campaign, it furthers my opinion on how terrible Halo 5's campaign is.

I'm expecting big things from 6. I want graphic fidelity greater than IW. With Scorpio and PC, it's time for Halo to step it up in this department.

Juan

Really? I mean... Really? To be honest, I can not even remember one good idea in term of level design beside the first level with Blue Team when you destroy a wall with the Spartan Charge then slide on a ramp. And of course when you're running on the Guardian, which was yes, this part, an awesome idea!

Are we talking about level art design, or pure level design, in term of how you play the level, how it is build &cie?

Trying to get my first champion rank in FFA. It is so damn stressful, every game I feel my heart pounding at the end of it. Currently Onyx 1606, but playing champions every game

jem0208

I dont hate it, i hated playing as Locke. Feels like a forced-in useless character overall. His whole crew felt completely useless to this story.
Eh, I'm indifferent to Locke. Honestly, both him and the Chief are no different really. They're both just vehicles to push the plot forward. My experience with Locke would be near enough the same as with Chief.

Really? I mean... Really? To be honest, I can not even remember one good idea in term of level design beside the first level with Blue Team when you destroy a wall with the Spartan Charge then slide on a ramp. And of course when you're running on the Guardian, which was yes, this part, an awesome idea!

Are we talking about level art design, or pure level design, in term of how you play the level, how it is build &cie?

Absolutely.

In terms of pure (on foot) gameplay the levels are far above anything from previous games IMO.

It's less sandboxy than previous Halos but it feels far more focused and refined as a result. Every part of every level feels like a tonne of thought was poured into how the gameplay would flow through it. The increased verticality makes engagements more exciting and the various different options in how to approach and move around the levels leads to a far more interesting "dance" with your enemies.

The levels are more densely packed in 5. Previous Halos gave you a valley with some rocks, a few fun vehicles and weapons to play with and tells you to go take out those vehicles. Halo 5 gives you a multileveled canyon filled with carefully designed structures, engagements and tactical options. The possible routes are more defined in Halo 5 but at the same time I feel like it allows for more creativity from the player.

The set pieces in 5 are less emphasised but I feel like it more than makes up for that with the superb core gameplay and design.

In terms of aesthetics I find H5 to be a bit of a mixed bag. I absolutely love Sanghelios (the string of levels from through Sanghelios to Sunion is my favourite in the series for both aesthetics and gameplay) and Genesis at points looks absolutely superb. Meridian for the most part looks pretty dull though, until you're inside the Forerunner section and it looks awesome again.

Juan

Absolutely.

In terms of pure (on foot) gameplay the levels are far above anything from previous games IMO.

It's less sandboxy than previous Halos but it feels far more focused and refined as a result. Every part of every level feels like a tonne of thought was poured into how the gameplay would flow through it. The increased verticality makes engagements more exciting and the various different options in how to approach and move around the levels leads to a far more interesting "dance" with your enemies.

The levels are more densely packed in 5. Previous Halos gave you a valley with some rocks, a few fun vehicles and weapons to play with and tells you to go take out those vehicles. Halo 5 gives you a multileveled canyon filled with carefully designed structures, engagements and tactical options. The possible routes are more defined in Halo 5 but at the same time I feel like it allows for more creativity from the player.

The set pieces in 5 are less emphasised but I feel like it more than makes up for that with the superb core gameplay and design.

In terms of aesthetics I find H5 to be a bit of a mixed bag. I absolutely love Sanghelios (the string of levels from through Sanghelios to Sunion is my favourite in the series for both aesthetics and gameplay) and Genesis at points looks absolutely superb. Meridian for the most part looks pretty dull though, until you're inside the Forerunner section and it looks awesome again.

Well, I guess we all want different things from a Halo game, especially in campaign, and that's not a criticism.

From my pov, I kind of think a lot of encounters from Halo 5 were mostly repetitive without variety (of course, I've only played the game on legendary, maybe I would think differently if I would have played on Heroic or normal). Sure, there were very cool ideas, like this part on Sanghellios where you start from the bottom of the hill (Buck talking about Elite being brothers-like) and you need to go to the top, there was a sense of verticality and a good use for the Spartan abilities, especially the Ground Pound.

But from the rest of the game, well, I did not really enjoy the encounters against the Prometheans (maybe because it was the Prometheans) and could not stop to think that I was mostly playing the same encounter again and again, a bit like the ones from Gears of War 4 if you played it.

Just to put this in perspective, I would just like to talk about the beginning of Halo Delta from Halo 2.

You start at the bottom with a BR and a Rocket Launcher against Jackal, Grunt and turrets. You have to climb it, with different paths available, then you have to fight to against Sniper Jackal and Elite to go inside the ruins.

From there, you got several waves of opponents coming in from above, with supplies from the UNSC and AI allies. Then you got a vehicule to go the next part of the level where you can fight against Ghost, Turrets.

And we can find this pattern from several levels in Halo 2.

For Halo 5, I can't really remember a part where the gameplay was put in several situations changing the type of encounter.

I know this is discussed all the time, but while I don't hold Halo 5 in high regard for a lot of reasons, I certainly felt their campaign level design this time around was pretty great.

There was just a nice variety of different paths and structures to levels that made it feel like I had more options to approach a given situation. I will probably revisit the campaign from time to time just for the fun of the gameplay itself in traversing on foot. I also think the spartan abilities make more sense in the campaign, but I hate them in multiplayer.

If Halo 6 has better writing, plot, characters, and enemy encounters I will probably love it.

I know this is discussed all the time, but while I don't hold Halo 5 in high regard for a lot of reasons, I certainly felt their campaign level design this time around was pretty great.

There was just a nice variety of different paths and structures to levels that made it feel like I had more options to approach a given situation. I will probably revisit the campaign from time to time just for the fun of the gameplay itself in traversing on foot. I also think the spartan abilities make more sense in the campaign, but I hate them in multiplayer.

If Halo 6 has better writing, plot, characters, and enemy encounters I will probably love it.

Moment to moment level design was great, but it was missing the wide open areas, the grander moments from previous Halo's. The Kraken was a sorry attempt of the Scarab encounter.

I want a different formula for the campaign of Halo 6. I'd really like to see something open world.

Juan

Moment to moment level design was great, but it was missing the wide open areas, the grander moments from previous Halo's. The Kraken was a sorry attempt of the Scarab encounter.

I want a different formula for the campaign of Halo 6. I'd really like to see something open world.

Without going open world, there was a mission in the Spartan Ops from Halo 4, Episode 10 Chapter 3, where I had the feeling that finally, 343 really nailed what was Halo encounter design, going from small encounters on foot then with vehicules, with different paths, differents goals.

If you want a reminder, here's a video from this mission:

Vehicule gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_-ikhNZfbk

On foot gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5gIQkB6sdA

For me, that was one of the best missions from Spartan Ops, and I still play this one sometime with the Master Chief Collection.

Tbh, Spartan Ops was a very good idea, and Season 2 was excellent. I wish we could get Spartan Ops back for Halo 6, without losing Firefight (because these two are very different things).

But don't get me wrong, Halo 5 level design was good, clearly not the worst from the serie and it had some great ideas.

Trying to get my first champion rank in FFA. It is so damn stressful, every game I feel my heart pounding at the end of it. Currently Onyx 1606, but playing champions every game
Used to play a lot of FFA, but then it reached a point where a large majority of my matches had people crouching around, playing so damn defensively that I couldn't be bothered to play anymore. You'd figure high Onyx and Champion gameplay would be more exciting, but nope.. It was a damn snoozefest imo, just not what I want out of Halo.

I've been playing less Halo these days thanks to Gears. Sometimes I load Halo, look at the Arena playlists and NOPE the hell out of there because I'd rather not waste my time with unbalanced teams, quitters and cat/mouse gameplay.

Fuchsdh

To me what's been missing from recent Halo entries is a graceful intermingling of vehicular battles and infantry (as opposed to "THIS IS THE VEHICLE SECTION" and "THIS YOU HAVE TO DO ON FOOT") and a lack of multi-faction battles. What made the big areas of CE so great is that you had these battles going on without your involvement you could choose to join, aid one side or another, or even try and skip past.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
To me what's been missing from recent Halo entries is a graceful intermingling of vehicular battles and infantry (as opposed to "THIS IS THE VEHICLE SECTION" and "THIS YOU HAVE TO DO ON FOOT") and a lack of multi-faction battles. What made the big areas of CE so great is that you had these battles going on without your involvement you could choose to join, aid one side or another, or even try and skip past.

This.

That.

Yup, definitely. This could totally translate into an open world game too.

Defect

Unearthed is the worst fucking map I have ever played. Get that shit out of here.

Also smarten up and make snipers on arena maps.

*Open REQ pack*

Oh, cool the Phaeton Helios Cert. lets see how it works...

*8 REQ levels later*

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_5vsks39rhrc48g4cw40kgkogk_640.gif

This thing is amazing. I just took down Orange Warden in 40 seconds and Red in a minute. it should be criminal to use this outside of Warzone Firefight you can basically dominate the field.

And I love it!

*Open REQ pack*

Oh, cool the Phaeton Helios Cert. lets see how it works...

*8 REQ levels later*

This thing is amazing. I just took down Orange Warden in 40 seconds and Red in a minute. it should be criminal to use this outside of Warzone Firefight you can basically dominate the field.

And I love it!

Wasting a Helios in Firefight? You're gonna make me cry, man.

Fuchsdh

The Light Rifle REQs are pretty solid in Warzone, hadn't really started using them until recently working through my commendations. Seem like they're better than the carbine REQs, which are great in isolation but seems like you get more for your REQ energy at level 3 and 4 with other choices.

And those vehicle sections haven't been that great either, they often come in at random times and are painfully linear.

Eh, I'm indifferent to Locke. Honestly, both him and the Chief are no different really. They're both just vehicles to push the plot forward. My experience with Locke would be near enough the same as with Chief.

No, completely different. With Chief, i have history. I care about the character because i know the character well and ive been playing the story primarily "through him" since 2001. Its like seeing an old friend, its always better when there has been some history.

Locke had no history, he and his crew are just forced in because of that stupid false advertised campaign commercials. You could remove him from the story and it would literally have made very little difference overall.

Top Bottom