• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Pretty sure the majority of my time in BTB Strongholds is spent defending hills we already hold. You know, that thing that idiots never do? That thing that actually leads to victories?

Arena strongholds is very different and the hills capture like 10x faster, so rotations are much more important. It takes literally < 2 secs if you have a couple people capping at the same time. "Standing in one spot while getting attacked" - wut?

Trup1aya

Pretty sure the majority of my time in BTB Strongholds is spent defending hills we already hold. You know, that thing that idiots never do? That thing that actually leads to victories?

Arena strongholds is very different and the hills capture like 10x faster, so rotations are much more important. It takes literally < 2 secs if you have a couple people capping at the same time. "Standing in one spot while getting attacked" - wut?

Yeah i was referring to arena strongholds... it never seems to come up for me in btb, but i can imagine that playing babysitter is likely an effective strat since you probably don't have LOS on multiple hills at once.

But arena strongholds is all about constant moving to the right place at the right moments...

Yeah i was referring to arena strongholds... it never seems to come up for me in btb, but i can imagine that playing babysitter is likely an effective strat since you probably don't have LOS on multiple hills at once.

But arena strongholds is all about constant moving to the right place at the right moments...

For sure.

I was mostly replying to the accusation that people with good k/d's in BTB strongholds are just farming. The exact opposite is true. A good k/d is better in the BTB version because that means you can help hold your team's hill(s). The strat in BTB is to get your home hill and the middle one and defend one side of the map. Slightly different on the couple assym maps, but the strat of hold 2 and ignore triple caps still stands.

jem0208

No, it's objective being basically territories 2.x once again. Who likes to stand in one spot while getting attacked? Rinse and repeat for the rest of the game. Supposedly it's great for ranked team strats they say, bullshit solo/buddy players ain't loving it. Just admit you like to farm kills and medals from that shit.

Flag and bomb require more teamwork and are far more interesting when playing solo/buddy. They also promote varied replays and map movement etc. I just don't get the love for territories based crap in objective. You're crazy mate.

EDIT: Take a look at some of the new objective modes in TF2 such as Bounty Hunt. Banks that cycle for extra points, highlighted enemy targets for higher bounties that require teamwork and all while basically keeping the same slayer modes in play. That's innovation for objective while appeasing the core slayer based crowd. Territories based crap isn't innovative at all, it lacks creativity and replayability. Since Reach's layered unlock stages approach with Invasion we've gone backwards for objective. WZ and REQs and the maps are sweet but the actual objectives lack dynamism by comparison.

No. You're talking rubbish.

The scoring system means that it plays out completely differently to territories. Territories basically just breaks down in scrappy point collection. Strongholds requires coordinated pushes and rotations to capture and hold multiple points, otherwise you're going to be decimated. It certainly isn't just a game of standing in the capture point and being attacked. It's a fluid blend of attack and defence that can flip and change at any moment.

Unlike pretty much every other mode in Halo there is barely ever dead time, every second that you don't hold 2 territories the enemy is scoring. The constantly increasing points and the lack of a time limit means that there is always pressure on the attacking team, it's a constantly building tension. There's no "oh we're two captures ahead so lets just play defensively"; If you aren't in control you are forced to attack, otherwise you are guaranteed to lose.

The way the capture points are set up also means that sitting in one spot and defending is basically impossible, unlike gamemodes where a team only needs to focus on a single point such as their flag. I'd also say strongholds is far more replayable and creative than flag/bomb. The use of asymmetric maps and multiple focus points as well as the standard map and power weapon control means there's just more variables to consider. There's also often multiple viable strategies which can be employed in a strongholds map (except maybe Empire...). With any given flag map there's almost always only 1 or 2 viable flag routes and the setup for a capture is almost always exactly the same: Kill one or two enemies, watch the spawn points and move the flag down a choice of maybe one or two routes. That's not to say that flag isn't a great mode, its just not as varied as strongholds.

Finally its simplicity is one of its strengths. There's no extra bounties or highlighted targets. It's just 3 points and 8 players, yet it manages to elicit a tonne more depth and strategy than bounty hunt or Invasion.

Juan

Guys, the univers behind Halo Wars 2 looks gorgeous! That is the direction I wish Halo should have taken from the beginning since 343 took over the franchise.

The art style, the story, everything looks fantastic.

I beg 343 to keep this style for the future of Halo.

FyreWulff

There's no reason that a game couldn't have been designed to handle match data locally via p2p, but occasionally authenticate with xbox live.
Don't KI and Gears UE work this way?

Unless the game is designed around a separate server doing all the heavy lifting.. making it impossible to have an Xbox both run the game and the server process at the same time. You know. Like Halo 5.

KI doesn't use servers, it's lockstep directly between two players online. No server is involved and would just make things worse. Local is always going to be single console.

Gears' simulation is a lot less complex than Halo 5's and still has the overhead to run the local server process. The netcode on LAN is the same as online, with maybe a higher data rate. IIRC, Gears' exemption was to let LAN work without everyone being signed into a profile, not specifically LAN mode itself.

No. You're talking rubbish.

The scoring system means that it plays out completely differently to territories. Territories basically just breaks down in scrappy point collection. Strongholds requires coordinated pushes and rotations to capture and hold multiple points, otherwise you're going to be decimated. It certainly isn't just a game of standing in the capture point and being attacked. It's a fluid blend of attack and defence that can flip and change at any moment.

Unlike pretty much every other mode in Halo there is barely ever dead time, every second that you don't hold 2 territories the enemy is scoring. The constantly increasing points and the lack of a time limit means that there is always pressure on the attacking team, it's a constantly building tension. There's no "oh we're two captures ahead so lets just play defensively"; If you aren't in control you are forced to attack, otherwise you are guaranteed to lose.

The way the capture points are set up also means that sitting in one spot and defending is basically impossible, unlike gamemodes where a team only needs to focus on a single point such as their flag. I'd also say strongholds is far more replayable and creative than flag/bomb. The use of asymmetric maps and multiple focus points as well as the standard map and power weapon control means there's just more variables to consider. There's also often multiple viable strategies which can be employed in a strongholds map (except maybe Empire...). With any given flag map there's almost always only 1 or 2 viable flag routes and the setup for a capture is almost always exactly the same: Kill one or two enemies, watch the spawn points and move the flag down a choice of maybe one or two routes. That's not to say that flag isn't a great mode, its just not as varied as strongholds.

Finally its simplicity is one of its strengths. There's no extra bounties or highlighted targets. It's just 3 points and 8 players, yet it manages to elicit a tonne more depth and strategy than bounty hunt or Invasion.

I agree with your utopian version detailed above, too bad that's the events of only a small percentage of games of full teams and high ranks you'll play in matchmaking. In my experience, which obviously differs to yours, it's a far more one sided affair for the majority of the time. This results in trying to cap one of two fixed points on the map for most of the game, and without power weapons so you're just getting wasted standing in a circle or attacking a circle.

Further what of stealth? There isn't any in strongholds. Solo beast mode? Not a common occurrence either. At least in flag or bomb a single player can alter the outcome of a major capture/defense to influence win or loss. Strongholds is exactly the full team/rank/esports focused that is too narrow for my liking. I far prefer an open staged map where you can control where engagement occur or avoid etc. There's no need for defined circles to force focus points always in the same spots.

I'm glad you enjoy the mode but after a long while wanting to like it I still prefer the good ol' flag and bomb. I disagree strongholds is in the class of invasion though.

*yawn* Dan "Master Chief Collection" Ayoube

Yeah those crickets for Dan and the remaster of HW1 were brutal but very telling. MCC isn't going to blow over anytime soon.

Guys, the univers behind Halo Wars 2 looks gorgeous! That is the direction I wish Halo should have taken from the beginning since 343 took over the franchise.

The art style, the story, everything looks fantastic.

I beg 343 to keep this style for the future of Halo.

This I can agree with, wonderful in fact. Now can we just get a blur CGI movie please. Considering the money spent of FuD and Nightfall...

Also how's that Spielberg TV series coming? Not a peep still?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Was playing some Firefight on the Sanghelios map and encountered some bonus I've never seen before such as a Phantom.

Trup1aya

Unless the game is designed around a separate server doing all the heavy lifting.. making it impossible to have an Xbox both run the game and the server process at the same time. You know. Like Halo 5.

That's why i say we should be able to use am additional xbox to do the heavy lifting

KI doesn't use servers, it's lockstep directly between two players online. No server is involved and would just make things worse. Local is always going to be single console.

I'm talking about at live competitions. I remember one of the KI tournaments there was a licencing issue that popped up in the middle of a match. And everyone accused them of trying to host a LAN over the Internet. Their response was that the Internet is only used for an authentication check, the match was hosted locally

Gears' simulation is a lot less complex than Halo 5's and still has the overhead to run the local server process. The netcode on LAN is the same as online, with maybe a higher data rate. IIRC, Gears' exemption was to let LAN work without everyone being signed into a profile, not specifically LAN mode itself.

That's all fine, but it's proof that with the right internal priorities, a 1st party game could get the neccessary exemptions. It had nothing to do with the 'always online' policy.

I agree with your utopian version detailed above, too bad that's the events of only a small percentage of games of full teams and high ranks you'll play in matchmaking. In my experience, which obviously differs to yours, it's a far more one sided affair for the majority of the time. This results in trying to cap one of two fixed points on the map for most of the game, and without power weapons so you're just getting wasted standing in a circle or attacking a circle.

Further what of stealth? There isn't any in strongholds. Solo beast mode? Not a common occurrence either. At least in flag or bomb a single player can alter the outcome of a major capture/defense to influence win or loss. Strongholds is exactly the full team/rank/esports focused that is too narrow for my liking. I far prefer an open staged map where you can control where engagement occur or avoid etc. There's no need for defined circles to force focus points always in the same spots.

I'm glad you enjoy the mode but after a long while wanting to like it I still prefer the good ol' flag and bomb. I disagree strongholds is in the class of invasion though.

Hmm the game mode you are describing just doesnt sound like strongholds, yes you have to spend sometime inside of a fixed objective to capture it (a few seconds)- but defending it usually means leaving it and pressuring spawns. Often, scoring means recognizing when is time to surrender a hill and push for another part of the map.

'Solo beast mode' also is certainly possible, common and influential. Many successful triple caps are a result of a single player getting a multikill.

No power weapons? Eden has rockets, rig has rail. Empire has a saw.

No stealth? Countless times for me, stealth has been the difference between losing a stronghold, and successfully defending it and swinging favor.

Here's some stealth, some map movement, and solo beast mode all in the span of 60s
https://youtu.be/uIxJrn5OoD8

TCKaos

Well, here's this again, because it's never not relevant:

The story of my life in fucking BIG TEAM STRONGHOLDS YOU FUCKS THERE'S ALMOST NO REASON TO TRIPLE CAP WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING

Like, go for two of them. Go for the easiest two to defend. It's not hard to figure out which two. Boulevard? Taxi and Red Bend. Fuck Blue, they can keep Blue. Standoff? Either base and mid. The map that's like Wreckage but good? Top whatever and the one almost right under it. Entombed? Red and Trench. Shit isn't fucking rocket science, randies.

"B-but senpai we need blue base for the triple c-"

FUCK THE TRIPLE CAP. If you run them out of Blue then they'll just spawn at Red and fucking steal it from right under our noses while we're defending whatever the neutral point is because NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND is going to fucking follow you to the other base because THEY KNOW that it'd flip the spawns. You fucking idiots. It's infinitely worse on aysmmetrical maps like Entombed and Boulevard because if they cap Red Bend on either of them then they have infinitely easier access to Taxi/Trench, which is infinitely harder to defend from Blue. So if a randy goes for the triple cap then there's a 75-90% chance that they'll get the script flipped on them in such a way as to GIVE THE ENEMY TEAM A TRIPLE CAP. ONE GUY can fuck it up for the entire team almost instantly and infinitely because they and they alone get greedy.

It's happened to us more than once in a full party of moderately semi-competent players.

And while I'm here fuck all of you people that don't go for Monument either ironically or out of incompetence. Seriously what the fuck is wrong with you. I didn't know your opening gambit was to drop your pants and start lubing up so you can get fucked for 18 minutes.

jem0208

Yeah those crickets for Dan and the remaster of HW1 were brutal but very telling. MCC isn't going to blow over anytime soon.

This I can agree with, wonderful in fact. Now can we just get a blur CGI movie please. Considering the money spent of FuD and Nightfall...

Also how's that Spielberg TV series coming? Not a peep still?
Are you talking about BTB strongholds? Because I can kinda understand where you’re coming from if so.

4v4 strongholds is nothing like you’re describing though.
I hate strongholds compared to koth. More CoD like rotations that halo has turned into. I miss setups :(
I find strongholds far more interesting. It’s a blend of setups and rotations which I really enjoy. KOTH had far too much dead time, some hills can go by with no one stepping foot in them. Having to stand in the hill to score allows for so much scrappy play as well.

Wake up John!

Was just booted from a tank world game for being inactive... I was fucking dead watching my team mate camping, what am I meant to do? move my sticks around whilst spectating?

This game has so many stupid issues.

Edit- and I'm banned as a result :/

E92 M3

Both Aaron and Dan sounded very.. corporate up there. if that makes sense. I wanted them to stop reading and say something that felt real. but cliffy b sounded desperate lol

Indeed. And I like Cliff - very smart dude. Wish Lawbreakers would come to consoles, it's just as stylish as Titanfall.

Juan

I don't think 343 should have put Dan on stage - not the smartest idea.

Dan always seemed to be the best hope I have for 343 Industries doing what is right with the Halo Franchise. This guy is pure passion about Halo and I wish he would be the lead of 343.

Yeah, MCC had terrible issues, but that is not entirely because of Dan, he had pressure to launch this game as soon as possible, and something like this would have required at least one additional year of work.

People told he went silent, but did you know he received Death threats? Him and his wife? People even threatened his son who is only 3 years old!

I mean, come on, we would have been silent after something like this. We all know how internet can be toxic as hell.

I met Dan on many occasions, in France, United Kingdom, even Seattle, and he always talked about Halo with passion, not the commercial passion I could hear from other people from 343, he talked with his heart.

And when I saw the work he has done on Halo CE Anniversary, Halo 2 Anniversary (talking about the game and cinematics, not the MCC) and now Halo Wars 2, I can only wish he will lead 343 to brand and brave new days.

E92 M3

Dan always seemed to be the best hope I have for 343 Industries doing what is right with the Halo Franchise. This guy is pure passion about Halo and I wish he would be the lead of 343.

Yeah, MCC had terrible issues, but that is not entirely because of Dan, he had pressure to launch this game as soon as possible, and something like this would have required at least one additional year of work.

People told he went silent, but did you know he received Death threats? Him and his wife? People even threatened his sound who is only 3 years old!

I mean, come on, we would have been silent after something like this. We all know how internet can be toxic as hell.

I met Dan on many occasions, in France, United Kingdom, even Seattle, and he always talked about Halo with passion, not the commercial passion I could hear from other people from 343, he talked with his heart.

And when I saw the working he has done on Halo CE Anniversary, Halo 2 Anniversary (talking about the game and cinematics, not the MCC) and now Halo Wars 2, I can only wish he will lead 343 to brand and brave new days.

Thanks for the fresh perspective. Death threats are NEVER ok, but I just wish 343 made some kind of formal apology with a little financial compensation for the buyers. Maybe 10 free gold packs - whatever. I never met Dan, so don't know him like you do. I only know that I spent $60 dollars and played the game for 5 minutes.

Thanks for the fresh perspective. Death threats are NEVER ok, but I just wish 343 made some kind of formal apology with a little financial compensation for the buyers. Maybe 10 free gold packs - whatever. I never met Dan, so don't know him like you do. I only know that I spent $60 dollars and played the game for 5 minutes.

Thought they said sorry and gave the launch people ODST for free? I even believe Bonnie had some interviews about MCC and all that jazz.

It had so much potential. Playing every Halo game through one UI and one matchmaking. Would have been huge.

Gaining fans can take years of work and good games, but youll lose a lot of those fans within 5 minutes if you release a shitty broken product that doesnt get fully fixed. Thats what i feel 343 and/or MS just dont seem to understand here.

This isnt fucking Fable, its Halo. Halo deserves much better than this.

m23

5 minutes? For real?

I agree the game is broken, but I still poured hours into it. Probably would have put more time into it if it did work properly.

For me at least it was worth it for the campaigns alone at 1080p60fps. Still doesn't excuse their silence on the matter.

E92 M3

Thought they said sorry and gave the launch people ODST for free? I even believe Bonnie had some interviews about MCC and all that jazz.

All PR talk and such, but we've chatted enough about MCC :p

It had so much potential. Playing every Halo game through one UI and one matchmaking. Would have been huge.

Gaining fans can take years of work and good games, but youll lose a lot of those fans within 5 minutes if you release a shitty broken product that doesnt get fully fixed. Thats what i feel 343 and/or MS just dont seem to understand here.

This isnt fucking Fable, its Halo. Halo deserves much better than this.

Yeah, it's their baby. Never in my wildest dreams did I think a Halo product would release broken.

5 minutes? For real?

I agree the game is broken, but I still poured hours into it. Probably would have put more time into it if it did work properly.

For me at least it was worth it for the campaigns alone at 1080p60fps. Still doesn't excuse their silence on the matter.

Yeah, I bought it to play Halo 2 online and that shit was BROKE.

Theorry

Uch all matches today playing alone against full teams. Then teammates will leave also and you play a whole match where you get destroyed 4vs3. 343 really need to change this.

jem0208

Social not having background ranks would be a great start.

Is this even the case anymore?

I'm pretty sure they loosened the skill matching parameters in unranked playlists ages ago.

They certainly have in my experience. In my last BTB match I went 36 and 7 I think...

Juan

For this, I agree, 100% with you. ODST was a nice "gift", I would have prefer Reach 60fps & cie, but the MCC was so broken we should at least get a discount for, idk, Halo 5 or something else (just as a side note, I got MCC for free since I was part of HaloDestiny.net, doing reviews & cie, and when I first tested the game at home for a week, it wasn't broken at all and I never had issues with the MCC. Didn't understand what happened day one).

Right know, I don't really care about 343 giving us explanations about what happened, we already know this. Too much stuff, too much work, not enough testing and time spend on this project.

Actually, the only thing I would like to know with a public statement is if 343 is done with the MCC and will never make a come back with a new update for the game or playlist updates.

Social not having background ranks would be a great start.

Are you speaking for Halo 5 or the MCC?

If Halo 5, I always assumed that even Social playlist needed a sort of background ranking system? I mean, it can't just match you with people without looking for team balance and things like this, can it?

If Halo 5, I always assumed that even Social playlist needed a sort of background ranking system? I mean, it can't just match you with people without looking for team balance and things like this, can it?

Every other Halo worked that way. Social in Halo 5 is literally ranked with the ranks hidden and parameters slightly extended.

10am update? WHAT

E92 M3

Is this even the case anymore?

I'm pretty sure they loosened the skill matching parameters in unranked playlists ages ago.

They certainly have in my experience. In my last BTB match I went 36 and 7 I think...

Pretty sure it still has stuff running in the background.

For this, I agree, 100% with you. ODST was a nice "gift", I would have prefer Reach 60fps & cie, but the MCC was so broken we should at least get a discount for, idk, Halo 5 or something else (just as a side note, I got MCC for free since I was part of HaloDestiny.net, doing reviews & cie, and when I first tested the game at home for a week, it wasn't broken at all and I never had issues with the MCC. Didn't understand what happened day one).

Right know, I don't really care about 343 giving us explanations about what happened, we already know this. Too much stuff, too much work, not enough testing and time spend on this project.

Actually, the only thing I would like to know with a public statement is if 343 is done with the MCC and will never make a come back with a new update for the game or playlist updates.

Previously, Halo games a had social playlist with zero SBMM in the background. And I agree, the era of MCC is over, but I'm still bitter - was so excited.

Every other Halo worked that way. Social in Halo 5 is literally ranked with the ranks hidden and parameters slightly extended.

10am update? WHAT

10am PST I'm guessing.

Karl2177

That's incorrect. Halo 3 and Reach's social playlists did have skill based matchmaking; it was just more lenient in when it would expand the search for wider skill ranges. I believe it also started with a slightly higher range than the ranked lists.

I like Strongholds but it's so hit or miss for me. Some games I feel like I am in control and rotating effectively and other games I have no idea what I'm doing. I agree with Ozzy it's the hardest to play solo out of all the gametypes.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
cant wait to hear about the CU

despite all the negativity surrounding the community these days (obviously based on real issues but seems to be blown out of proportion, at least to me), this game continues to blow me away and i'm happy to see continues to be supported even if that support has, somewhat understandably, slowed down.

Top Bottom