• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Fat4all

Banned
So game with 86 score is skippable now.

To be fair, I don't buy every game with a high metacritic score.

that's the cutoff.

maxwell-smart-missed-it-by-that-much.jpg

Depends. The hardcore lore fans are mixed. Blue team was handled extremely well, there just wasn't enough of them. Osiris were nothing amazing, and some of the cutscenes/story decisions could have been way more powerful. The opening cutscene is the best cutscene in the game by far.

The only book that I consider important to the actual plot (not background, every Halo has background reading) is
Saints Testimony.

Huntthetruth is largely irrelevant, as is
the whole Locke vs MC thing.

Hmm interesting. I will still pick this up but not now.

I found this to be the most shocking part. Ryan is one of the biggest Halo fans in the industry.

PRFO1Ji.png

If even Ryan Mcaffrey's shitting on the campaign...yeesh, that says quite a bit.

Well, looking forward to playing through it tomorrow to form my own opinion but disappointed would describe my feelings right now. The campaigns are the best part of the games for me, was reaaally hoping 343 would knock it out of the park with this one. Ah well.

the fault of the story seems to be that its all foundation building for the next game. Nothing gets resolved and a gang of threads are left loose.

I found this to be the most shocking part. Ryan is one of the biggest Halo fans in the industry.

PRFO1Ji.png

I have a hard time believing this, especially since Halo 2 and Halo: Reach exist. I'll be shocked if this ends up being true.

leeh

Disappointed around the reviews of the story, although happy that the MP is reviewing good considering I'll be putting 99% of my time into MP.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

PRFO1Ji.png

That is disappointing. He normally gushes No?

Oh well. I will know myself in 24 hours if I like the story.

Hoping I do, because I liked Halo 4's story for the most part. Just not the gameplay, simulation, and graphics compromises.

Really hoping the story isn't as bad as it seems.

I have a hard time believing this, especially since Halo 2 and Halo: Reach exist. I'll be shocked if this ends up being true.

Halo 2's story was good, Halo Reach had the best campaign story wise in the series.

Herbs

Banned

PRFO1Ji.png

Well. That sold me. Couldn't care less about the story at this point. MP is the key. Hopefully 343 doesn't fuck up the logistical and technical side of it like MCC.

Random17

Do people actually think Halo 2 has the worst story? (Rhetorical) Like, the game that setup the Covenant internal structure in its entirety, had most of the trilogy's characters, best dialogue etc?

Proelite

Story: Halo 1 = Halo 4 > Halo Reach > ODST > Halo 3 > Halo 2
Campaign fun: Halo 1 > Halo 3 > Halo 2 = Halo 4 = Halo ODST > Halo Reach
MP: Halo 1 > Halo 4 > Halo 3 = Halo 2 > Halo Reach

Reach was my least favorite Halo.

Let's see how Halo 5 ranks.

I loved Halo Reach's story :(

DAT ENDING
BRUH, DAT ENDING
That's like the only thing I remember from Halo: Reach. The ending and that one moment where you play a bad space shooter.

Also, I wasn't really talking about the story. I think all the Bungie Halo games have completely forgettable stories outside of Halo 3 and maybe ODST.

MrBenchmark

That is disappointing. He normally gushes No?

Oh well. I will know myself in 24 hours if I like the story.

Hoping I do, because I liked Halo 4's story for the most part. Just not the gameplay, simulation, and graphics compromises.

Really hoping the story isn't as bad as it seems.

Halo 2's story was good, Halo Reach had the best campaign story wise in the series.

If it gets lower than the score they have taken King they have zero credibility and I have over 1000+ hrs in destiny and climbing and I say it didn't deserve what IGN gave it.

I have it preloaded anyway I love me some Halo so I guess who cares.

madmackem

PRFO1Ji.png

wowzers, this coming from a huge halo fan and someone who tries to be positive about xbox as he can be. The worst story in a halo game and its a mess and designed badly wow. I hope hes wrong.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I made a huge mistake coming into this thread, now I'm disappointed.

I'm still super hyped, though.

If you only like Halo for the story you should stick to the books. The games have never told good stories, they've just been even worse lately.

yepp

it's kind of funny how non-lore fans expect the games to fill them on most of the story, but they fail to realize that a single game can only tell so much of it in a short amount of time.

Halo is a big universe where the story has to move forward with out the games, which is why we have the books/comics that cover many important story arcs that in fact cant have their own separate entries with so little time.

Although I am inclined to agree that Blue Team's introduction should have been handled better with some flash backs/better exposition

Sanpei

I hate you 343i...

This is Halo game and we want to play with MC mostly...But you give us Locke..Really ?

You are killing this game...MS should give this to another game dev company not to this idiots

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I almost got upset about people hating on Halo 5's story, but then I remembered how divided Halo fans are.

I personally loved Halo Reaches story. Also really enjoyed Halo 2's story, and most of Halo 4's.

I'll hold out hope that I will enjoy Halo 5's. And also, I have read a decent amount of the extended universe. Which gives me an advantage.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I loved Halo Reach's story :(

I stopped taking people's distasteful opinions on the newer Halo campaigns seriously when I noticed there was an overlap between the people who said that Halo 4 was shit because it required you to read the EU, and that Reach was shit because it conflicted with the EU.

Random17

343 should of bring back the Flood

Yup, that's what I was expecting, and that did not happen.

I'm not sure why they are so scared of bringing them back. Stop listening to knee jerk fan feedback, like Bungie did with the Arbiter in Halo 3. The Flood can be done right. Zombie games aren't an entire genre because they have shit gameplay...

Spoilers:
At this point,
Cortana is back, Chakas/343i is back, the Didact still isn't completely gone etc

arhra

Do people actually think Halo 2 has the worst story? (Rhetorical) Like, the game that setup the Covenant internal structure in its entirety, had most of the trilogy's characters, best dialogue etc?

Personally, I'd say 2 had a good story that suffered from being poorly told (largely due to huge chunks of the game being cut). In terms of the gameplay design of the campaign, I'd consider it the low point of the series.

Top Bottom