• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Fat4all

Banned
That's actually the last objective in Halo 5 which I thought was funny. Flashes up on your screen.

Fry-Im-Shocked-Futurama.gif

yepp

it's kind of funny how non-lore fans expect the games to fill them on most of the story yet they realize that a single game can only tell so much of it in a short amount of time.

Halo is a big universe where the story has to move forward with out the games, which is why we have the books/comics that cover many important story arcs that in fact cant have their own separate games with so little time.

Although I am inclined to agree that Blue Team's introduction should have been handled better with some flash backs/better exposition

Ah but that isn't fair to be honest.

If I pick up a game I don't want to have to read tonnes of books to know whats going on.

It is the developers job to be able to create a cohesive storyline in 6-7 hour game.

Expecting players who enjoy the Halo story in the games to read the books is not a valid explanation as to why the story sucks.

Random17

Personally, I'd say 2 had a good story that suffered from being poorly told (largely due to huge chunks of the game being cut). In terms of the gameplay design of the campaign, I'd consider it the low point of the series.
That's the thing though, the parts that got cut were largely irrelevant to the overall plot, with an exception to the final mission.

Nah, "Sir, Finishing this fight" is the worst cock tease ending in gaming history.

So bad it spawned an entire marketing campaign, lol?

Yup, that's what I was expecting, and that did not happen.

I'm not sure why they are so scared of bringing them back. Stop listening to knee jerk fan feedback, like Bungie did with the Arbiter in Halo 3. The Flood can be done right. Zombie games aren't an entire genre because they have shit gameplay...

At this point,
Cortana is back, Chakas/343i is back, the Didact still isn't completely gone etc
Goddamn it, when you et so used to sarcastic remarks and jokes in spoiler tags.... It just becomes autopilot.

Ah but that isn't fair to be honest.

If I pick up a game I don't want to have to read tonnes of books to know whats going on.

It is the developers job to be able to create a cohesive storyline in 6-7 hour game.

Expecting players who enjoy the Halo story in the games to read the books is not a valid explanation as to why the story sucks.

It's the nature of the beast ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Halo isn't just about the games anymore whether you like it or not, It's just too big of a franchise now

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It's the nature of the beast ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Halo isn't just about the games anymore whether you like it or not, It's just too big of a franchise to be limited to the games.

Yeah but you don't go to a Marvel movie and expect to need to read all the comics in order for it to make sense, ya know? That's why those movies make so much money.

Peterpan

I never liked any of the Halo stories. They always been poorly told and are mostly simplistic. I find it weird that so many people put so much weight in the stories of the games. To each their own.

Theorry

I think its really weird the MP of this game has less weight in a review then the SP. Almost felt like i was only reading the SP reviews. MP is what i am waiting for.

Spitz

As a campaign guy in Halo games it sux to read in this thread. I paid for this game 2 month ago and since Friday all impressions I read destroy any hype that is left. MS even failed to deliver the Elite Controller which I preordered in June.

Fret

I never liked any of the Halo stories. They always been poorly told and are mostly simplistic. I find it weird that so many people put so much weight in the stories of the games. To each their own.

Well if they consistently fuck up the stories of these games (which have huge potential, especially the H5 marketing) it starts to get a bit annoying

Yeah but you don't go to a Marvel movie and expect to need to read all the comics in order for it to make sense, ya know? That's why those movies make so much money.
Probably the worst analogy ever, with all the decades of lore and storyelling around each character in the marvel movies, lol.

Fret

Probably the worst analogy ever, with all the decades of lore and storyelling around each character in the marvel movies, lol.

Nope, it was a perfect analogy, I can walk into Iron Man, GOTG, etc and not know anything about the characters and fully understand what's happening

Just had a read of the Eurogamer pre-review campaign review, thing. There are a few location spoilers but that's it. If you are on the fence give I highly recommend you give it a read. Paints a real nice picture of what to expect.

I agree completely with what they said there and I had fun with my playthrough on Heroic over the weekend. They have improved on every aspect of the campaign from Halo 4. Even though the story is weak the firefights and level design make up for it. They were definitely on to something with the story, they just didn't execute it as well as they could have.

Fat4all

Banned

I didn't know a single character going into Guardians of the Galaxy, but it told it's story succinctly and without the need of background knowledge.

You're still reviewing threads with numbers?

Essential or GTFO.

Also, how's the story of the thread compared to it's multiplayer?

Karak

As a campaign guy in Halo games it sux to read in this thread. I paid for this game 2 month ago and since Friday all impressions I read destroy any hype that is left. MS even failed to deliver the Elite Controller which I preordered in June.

I can see that but lots of people liked it. There is some...oddness to it but many actually are liking it.

maximrace

I think the level design is great. Some areas are huge and really let you take your own approach, that's classic Halo for me. So I don't see why people would call this bad level design, then you should say the same about the other games. Lot of nostalgia goggles I guess

Deviousx

Damn, shame about the story. Was really hoping 343 would knock it out of the ballpark with H5 campaign wise.

Get'em next time I guess, eh?

SparkTR

I think that was his point. There's decades of lore and storytelling with Marvel characters, but when a person goes into the theatre to see a movie they don't have to know any of it for the story to shine.

Floody

Yep, will probably pick it up on a sale some time next year, don't really care for PvP, but will probably have a decent time co-oping the campaign.

I think its really weird the MP of this game has less weight in a review then the SP. Almost felt like i was only reading the SP reviews. MP is what i am waiting for.
Most are probably waiting to see if the servers shit the bed again

Na it's only on page 16 and it's been up for more of an hour

Its also the time when the biggest halo fan base is asleep .
just wait for morning. because as it currently stands , half of them are gonna get up and see a metacritic score lower than halo 4 and just a point above mcc , first thing in the morning.

Guerrilla

I just went through the op again, so basically most are saying its amazing, and a minority is disappointed with the story but game is still great. Ok for me ;)

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Also, how's the story of the thread compared to it's multiplayer?

Single player is effectively non-existent. Multiplayer is technically brilliant, but let down by a sub-par population.

KingBroly

Banned
Damn, shame about the story. Was really hoping 343 would knock it out of the ballpark with H5 campaign wise.

Get'em next time I guess, eh?

I...dunno if that's possible. If the foundation is weak, you can't really build anything without crumbling in front of you.

I gave the campaign an 'essential' badge over at Eurogamer Benelux.

343 has come a long way since receiving the keys of the franchise in 2010. After taking a few steps backwards the studio has now finally proved that it can deliver what you would expect from a Halo-campaign. The experience isn't perfect, but you can't argue with results. Halo 5: Guardians feels fresh, while showing respect for what came before. Hail to the Chief.

arhra

That's the thing though, the parts that got cut were largely irrelevant to the overall plot, with an exception to the final mission.

It still resulted in a rather disjointed story, though. Not much may have happened, plot-wise, during the Forerunner Tank level, for example, but having some explanation of just how you go from jumping into a lake to being caught in the clutches of a giant talking plant would have gone a long way.

Top Bottom