• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Some of the campaign complaints are disappointing. Was hoping they'd really nail the confrontation between the two with how heavily that aspect has been marketed.

Ah well.

Karak

Some of the campaign complaints are disappointing. Was hoping they'd really nail the confrontation between the two with how heavily that aspect has been marketed.

Ah well.

Despite that there are things to like. Just maybe not what you were set up to think

Probably the worst analogy ever, with all the decades of lore and storyelling around each character in the marvel movies, lol.

It's a great analogy. You don't tell a story in a video game franchise with expectations that your average Joe is going to read the books to understand what's going on. Random Didact alien man.

I hate you 343i...

This is Halo game and we want to play with MC mostly...But you give us Locke..Really ?

You are killing this game...MS should give this to another game dev company not to this idiots

ygDaP6E.gif

Halo has always been a MP game for me. I didn't touch the campaign of CE, despite having played CE MP a ton around the time it came out, until Anniversary.

Septic360

Banned
Oddly, Eurogamer are singing praises for the campaign :

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-26-halo-5-campaign

Despite its disappointments, Halo 5's campaign is a more cohesive effort than the other Halo games. It's fast-paced, action packed and easy to digest. The story, which stars a villain that'll surprise many, has enough about it to keep you going to the end. We're given well-worn sci-fi comic book fare, here, but unlike much of what went before with Halo, it makes sense. That's progress in my book.

Yeah but you don't go to a Marvel movie and expect to need to read all the comics in order for it to make sense, ya know? That's why those movies make so much money.

Marvel is a ginormous brand that's been around for 75 + years with decades of comics under them, the movies make a lot of money BECAUSE they're Marvel. They follow their own continuity but it's still the same characters that people love.

Halo is different because it's story began with Fall of Reach and CE (a book and a game) the two mediums are intertwined and 343 is keeping it that way.

Where is my my movie MS, just fucking do it

one day my friend :(

oti

Banned
"Ba-baka! It's not like I was hunting you or anything like that..."

- I was setting out to find the truth, Chief-senpai, but I found something better desu.
- What did you find Locke-kun? The Halos desu ka?
- No, I found you.

*AND IIIIIIIIIII WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOUUUUUU*

what is a halo anyway

Peterpan

Well if they consistently fuck up the stories of these games (which have huge potential, especially the H5 marketing) it starts to get a bit annoying
Well I don't play games for story, but that's me. Story-telling in games is rather complex though so I do not blame developers or the writers. Though Halo fans love Master Chief, I like him too, but I find it weird that fans think Locke is boring and Chief is this exciting character. Speaking purely from the games, I have not read any extended lore.

Praha

Neo Member
MMGN: 8.5/10

http://mmgn.com/xboxone/halo-5-guardians-review

Undoubtedly the most ambitious Halo release, Halo 5 admirably tries to establish its own identity amidst a long-standing and revered franchise history. The solo experience lacks the personal drive of past Halo games, which makes it harder to appreciate the story and its focus on teamwork and relationships. It still offers a commendable solo experience, though, but it ultimately shines in coop. It passionately embraces Halo’s expanded universe, and opens the door for new characters and perspectives. Subtle gameplay additions like ADS and melee mechanics are nice touches, but this is still Halo at its core, and those additions merely compliment rather than replace the series’ classic gameplay pillars.

Sounds like solid game. Sp gets some negativity, some might be because high expectations after marketing. I'm bit disappointed if it really falls flat, though none of the Halo campaigns have made my jaw drop.

Can't believe even Ryan says so.

Holy shit, WAT?! Mr. Ryan "Xbox Halo" McCaffrey??

So his score would come in at, what, 9.2 instead of a 9.8?

All kidding aside, that's a hardcore Halo fan saying the campaign is the worst; pretty disappointing if the majority of fans end up agreeing.

I found this to be the most shocking part. Ryan is one of the biggest Xbox fans in the industry.

Had to fix this quote.

Oddly, Eurogamer are singing praises for the campaign :

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-26-halo-5-campaign

Like most stories, it's subjective, I'll refrain from labelling 343 "idiots" until I've had a go myself. Unlike Halo 4, I'm well behind in terms of keeping up with the books (still on Mortal Dictata), so it'll be interesting to see if I get lost.

Anyway, most reviewers state it plays well and it has some great scores, so looks like 343 have done a good job at least.

Giant Bomb said:
... of the end of Halo 5, there isn't much resolution there. It's like someone sat down, played the previous Halo trilogy, and forgot that the conclusion of Halo 2 was impossibly frustrating in its day. So they made that. We'll just have to wait a short three years for Halo 6, I guess. While we're talking about the campaign, I should note that there's no splitscreen option in Halo 5, which is almost surely a disappointment to people who liked playing Halo that way.

Eurgh. Eurrrgh. I'll play it and decide for myself, but boy that is not encouraging.

Holy shit, WAT?! Mr. Ryan "Xbox Halo" McCaffrey??

So his score would come in at, what, 9.2 instead of a 9.8?

All kidding aside, that's a hardcore Halo fan saying the campaign is the worst; pretty disappointing if the majority of fans end up agreeing.

The majority of fans didn't agree with his opinion last time (Halo 4) so I'm not too worried.

Purest 78

Probably the worst analogy ever, with all the decades of lore and storyelling around each character in the marvel movies, lol.

Actually it's a great comparison I only know major comic characters, had no clue who have the people in avengers were. Yet I was able to really enjoy the movie.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Well I don't play games for story, but that's me. Story-telling in games is rather complex though so I do not blame developers or the writers. Though Halo fans love Master Chief, I like him too, but I find it weird that fans think Locke is boring and Chief is this exciting character. Speaking purely from the games, I haven't not read any extended lore.
The difference is fans of the series have an attachment to Chief because he's been the face of the series, Big Green is Halo. It'd be like Valve announcing Half-Life 3 and saying you play as Barney.

Fat4all

Banned
The difference is fans of the series have an attachment to Chief because he's been the face of the series, Big Green is Halo. It'd be like Valve announcing Half-Life 3 and saying you play as Barney.

Do we finally get to buy Gordan that beer?

Theorry

Yep, will probably pick it up on a sale some time next year, don't really care for PvP, but will probably have a decent time co-oping the campaign.

Most are probably waiting to see if the servers shit the bed again

I understand that, But alot give already a score to it or have some sort of verdict and say we wil back later with the MP review. Wich is oke, But most people will now read the reviews and decide and not wait 4 days for a extra review.

Top Bottom