• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

DR2K

Banned
Noticing a common theme in the negative campaign / story reviews. Most mention the hype or the build up about the story, the hunt the truth and mastercheif/locke antagonistic struggle. Sounds like they had high expectations and that's costing Halo5 slightly in reviews. Maybe MS marketing has backfired a bit, at least in terms of campaign critics.

Seems way too big of a deterrent than just not meeting expectations.

bidguy

Banned
I thought campaign was supposed to be huge. I remember numbers being thrown around from 12-20 hours. Biggest ever for a halo game.

And websites are saying its short?

its short. it honestly feels incomplete. like they wanted to save something for later titles which is a shame since the gunplay is amazing now

EGM1966

So sounds like MP and gameplay is great/good depending on reviewer but SP is great/average with most reviewers leaning to average?

About what I figured as a good result. May still get it. I think the EU and the core narrative is simply too unwieldy by this point and without a radical reboot of approach my days of enjoying and feeling immersed in a fun SF world are gone.

But if the online and general mechanics are good I'm still,minter edited just less so and happy to wait a bit for impressions to settle.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The story is bad, make no mistake, but some people are going to be mad, because the marketing does it no favors.

Without spoiling anything, the game's ad campaign paints a picture that isn't even remotely accurate to the game's actual plot.

So... go in with an open mind, and forget the commercials. If you've read the books (I haven't), you might get something from the story that I didn't.

EvB

3124691106.png

if you account for franchise fatigue and the general negative trend in metascores recently it doesn't seem too bad when compared to the rest of the franchise.

though, the fact mcc has a 85 metacritic and this, what sounds much, much better than that mess, has a 86, just shows how irrelevant metacritic really is.

I think there are other factors such as a wider trend for /5 scores.
Whereas a reviewer may have scored a game 90 in 2007, 4/5 in 2015 translates to an 80 in Metacritic.

But as you say,,perhaps another sign of how flawed Metacritic is to actually use for scores as it's also very easy to temporarily manipulate those scores as a large publisher.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I had no idea what was going on in Halo 4's story, either. Given that that was the primary critique people had about 4's campaign, I'm very surprised 343 opted to double down on this storytelling "method" in 5.

The guns all feel great - universally. I never felt like I was using anything useless or underpowered. Aim down sights fits right into Halo, the new vehicles great... the list goes on. Core gunplay is very polished and very satisfying.

Everything outside of that? Eh...

Edit: We talked about it at work the other day, and I like the Halo 5 campaign more than Ryan M quite a bit. Although I respect his opinion. He's right it's lacking big, iconic "Halo moments," but I still found it very fun.

Well, thanks for letting people like me know as I'll definitely be skipping out on Halo 5. I'm one of those people that cares fuck all about multi-player and instead is concerned mostly about a great single player campaign that includes a good story. I had some raised expectations for Halo 5 after the excellent first season of Hunt the Truth, but reading that the campaign is the same incomprehensible and boring mess the likes of which we got in Halo 4 means that I'll wait until the game is in the bargain bin before I pick it up. At least Fallout 4 is around the corner.

The story is bad, make no mistake, but some people are going to be mad, because the marketing does it no favors.

Without spoiling anything, the game's ad campaign paints a picture that isn't even remotely accurate to the game's actual plot.

So... go in with an open mind, and forget the commercials. If you've read the books (I haven't), you might get something from the story that I didn't.

Yikes!

bidguy

Banned
Well, thanks for letting people like me know as I'll definitely be skipping out on Halo 5. I'm one of those people that cares fuck all about multi-player and instead is concerned mostly about a great single player campaign that includes a good story. I had some raised expectations for Halo 5 after the excellent first season of Hunt the Truth, but reading that the campaign is the same incomprehensible and boring mess the likes of which we got in Halo 4 means that I'll wait until the game is in the bargain bin before I pick it up. At least Fallout 4 is around the corner.

i dont agree at all with what you quoted the story actually makes sense. what doesnt is that its cut short.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I had no idea what was going on in Halo 4's story, either. Given that that was the primary critique people had about 4's campaign, I'm very surprised 343 opted to double down on this storytelling "method" in 5.

The guns all feel great - universally. I never felt like I was using anything useless or underpowered. Aim down sights fits right into Halo, the new vehicles great... the list goes on. Core gunplay is very polished and very satisfying.

Everything outside of that? Eh...

Edit: We talked about it at work the other day, and I like the Halo 5 campaign more than Ryan M quite a bit. Although I respect his opinion. He's right it's lacking big, iconic "Halo moments," but I still found it very fun.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback.

My main complaint with Halo 4 was the physics/explosions/enemy hit reactions/simulation all seemed to be very poor when compared to say Halo Reach or 3. In those games, the way vehicles exploded, the way grunts dropped from head shots, and the way grenades sent covies and objects flying, always felt very solid. In halo 4, everything felt as if it was hollow and weighed nothing at all. Explosions also seemed "weak" comparatively.

Has this been amended in halo 5?

mjp2417

Banned
Yeah I did read that counter-argument (what exactly does he mean by "perhaps"?), but that he said that first paragraph at all is a worrying statement of modern gaming expectations.

In that context, "perhaps" is just a rhetorical tool to simulate a kind of interior dialogue/argument. The reviewer does not want Halo to be Destiny-lite.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Our review is also up, as usual full text in french only but our verdict has been translated. We also have many high quality videos to go along with it :)
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gsy_review_halo_5_guardians-17246_en.html

- 3 missions out of 15 are not real missions
- Rather short (campaign)

I guess the claims of the campaign being twice the length of Halo 4 were a bunch of bullshit. I'm not surprised, however. Devs love hyping up the length of their campaign and they always completely overestimate the actual length but I was pretty hopeful that they weren't lying.

All around, seems like the story is getting a lot of criticism.

eizarus

Banned
Wow. I expected the game to be good, but not this good. I've never owned two consoles at once, but seriously considering getting an Xbox One for this and a few others.

Shenmue

Banned
Wow just saw that Ryan Mcaffrey tweet where he thinks the campaign is the worst yet. The guy is a HUUUUUGE fan of Halo and Xbox in general so I tend to put a lot of weight into his criticisms.

GavinGT

Banned
Reviews were bound to focus on the campaign. For most of us, the multiplayer is where it's at and the beta told us most of what we needed to know about that.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Interesting, thanks for the feedback.

My main complaint with Halo 4 was the physics/explosions/enemy hit reactions/simulation all seemed to be very poor when compared to say Halo Reach or 3. In those games, the way vehicles exploded, the way grunts dropped from head shots, and the way grenades sent covies and objects flying, always felt very solid. In halo 4, everything felt as if it was hollow and weighed nothing at all. Explosions also seemed "weak" comparatively.

Has this been amended in halo 5?

I didn't make a note of it physics one way or the other.

I do think, in general, some of the "Halo sandbox" feel is gone. I never felt like anything hilarious or unexpected happened in the campaign thanks to the developers trusting the sandbox to "do its thing," which I think I felt with every other Halo game at least once. So in that sense, maybe the physics have been tamed. EDIT: Although this might be because (it feels to me? maybe someone else can run the numbers) that you're on foot more often in 5.

In previous games, you'd get plopped in front of a Covenant tank, with the game basically saying "...Figure it out, dude." Then it was up to you to find a hidden power weapon, plot a hijack, sneak by, or whatever.

5 has a few brilliant open-ended sandbox sections, including one right at the end of the game that's so good it almost makes up for the rest of the campaign. But unfortunately, most of the campaign is lacking what I would consider AAA sandbox design.

Maybe I'm just remembering the previous games romantically, and they're more linear than I thought.

TL;DR: Guns >> Sandbox >>>>> Story.

Conduit

Banned
Calling a 95+ Metacritic average. Definitely gonna be the highest reviewed Xbox One/PS4 game to date. (Excluding GTA V, not sure if that counts. Since it's a late port of an incredible Xbox 360/PS3 game)

343 did the fanbase good. Incredible scores so far.

Good reviews of course. But i think it won't go above 90.

willbsn13

Was never a massive Halo campaign player, so I'm not too fussed about the mixed impressions on that front. However the positive MP impressions have me really hoping that this time around MP will last a lot longer than Halo 4.

I just hope it works out of the box....2 and half hours till I find out!

Karak

Was never a massive Halo campaign player, so I'm not too fussed about the mixed impressions on that front. However the positive MP impressions have me really hoping that this time around MP will last a lot longer than Halo 4. I just hope it works....2 and half hours till I find out!

Jump into warzone and watch that thing escalate lol. It can get amazingly chaotic but always so damn "ON"

HTupolev

and that's literally a whole hour of running through the same room and identical open fields over and over again.
1-If it's a room that's fun to go through repeatedly, that's not necessarily a problem. Consider how people often play racing games, doing the same lap in the same car under the same conditions repeatedly, fine tuning their technique and sometimes playing differently.
2-They're made out of the same modular geometry pieces, but they're not the same room. The different layouts have their own large-scale aesthetic vibe, and more importantly, the encounters are totally different. I thought it was samey the first time I played the game, twelve years ago; but with familiarity you actually feel the differences more. By the fiftieth replay or so, AotCR is a massively diverse level.
3-Speaking of the same modular geometry pieces, they have the benefit that even though the spaces play differently, you can very quickly learn to move/jump/whatever through them very smoothly, even if you don't know a particular room perfectly. It gives it its own language, sort of.

Alternately: What's up with the love for some Mario games which use the same exact objects palletized the same way across a bunch of levels?

Alternately: It's cheap and it's sketchy as all hell, but it works.

Sounds on the whole pretty good.

As many have said, the proof will be in the longevity of the multiplayer. It has a week or so until Black Ops 3 and a few weeks until Battlefront, so Halo needs to show it is worth keeping the community playing.

Based on what I've seen so far, I fully expect MS to have some interesting Multiplayer play lists and additional content like BTB to help keep/bring back the players.

AHA-Lambda

Wow. I expected the game to be good, but not this good. I've never owned two consoles at once, but seriously considering getting an Xbox One for this and a few others.

? o_O

After all the score madness in this thread this post just stands out is all

Lakitu

st5fu
So now the embargo is over, any Warzone like spaces in the campaign with lots of vehicles and big battles?

Warzone looks to be the stand out to me, it looks amazing. Reviews are good too.

Proelite

Chris Schlerf >>>>>>>> Brian Reed going by the results.

I love Halo 4's story, which were miles better than Bungie's outside of Halo 1.

Random17

So if you only like Halo for the story this will suck?

Depends. The hardcore lore fans are mixed. Blue team was handled extremely well, there just wasn't enough of them. Osiris were nothing amazing, and some of the cutscenes/story decisions could have been way more powerful. The opening cutscene is the best cutscene in the game by far.

The only book that I consider important to the actual plot (not background, every Halo has background reading) is
Saints Testimony.

Huntthetruth is largely irrelevant, as is
the whole Locke vs MC thing.

Top Bottom