• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

VeeP

And I have no idea what he's talking about. I've been a Halo fan since 2004, when Halo 2 came out. Campaign is the best since ODST's for me. Loads better than Halo 4, even Reach.

Intesresting. ODST was my favorite Campaign as well. The soundtrack, atmosphere, and mission variety were all great. Hopefully Halo 5 delivers for me.

Fat4all

Banned
Where did you get that from?

"The toilet!"

giphy.gif

I don't understand RM's opinions on the campaign. Can't say much about the story but the mission design is definitely some of the best in the series. Him calling it a mess is very surprising to me. And I just played through all the halo campaigns the past two weeks in preparation lol.

I understand his thoughts on the story, I think Halo is very much entrenched in doing its own thing now and people will love it or hate it. To include the mission design is baffling to me though, unless he means he doesn't like that you spend a lot of time playing as locke. Actual level design and the mission design with those big open sandboxes is incredible to me, I think it's almost masterclass level in how to construct a sandbox shooter, that isn't actually open world. Areas are massive, support countless play styles, you can change up how you want to tackle your objectives on a whim. Maybe he was overwhelmed with the choices, I don't know, but I think the level & mission design together are fantastic.

Context for opinion: ODST and Reach are by far my favourite Halo campaigns.

hawk2025

I'm getting the impression that the 8-12 hours long range given on Normal isn't quite right.

Or that the balance between the Chief and Locke missions was about 50/50?

Well why not? It would give a clearer indication of what to expect. Don't act like I suggested we break the game into dozens of tiny parts and want them all rated. More and more we are seeing the MP and SP essentially be different games, it's not asking a lot to have them rated as such.

Sure, every review seperates campaign and multiplayer. But surely having two seperate scores just defeats the purpose of an overall score. A score is meant to be an overall evaluation you can quickly glance at to get a recommendation about a game. Separating it into campaign and multiplayer just confuses people as it makes it very unclear what the reviewer actually thinks about the overall product (again this is a review not a critique).

The only way around this is to do the old gamespot thing of taking lots of little scores and making a score based off that, which honestly i think is worse.

The product itself is two products.

Except, it isn't.

I'm gwtting the inpression that the 8-12 hours long range given on Normal isn't quite right.

Took me eight hours to beat it on Heroic. About eleven to finish it on Legendary. I didn't die all that much on my Heroic run, so I think 7/8 hours on Normal seems right, depending on your skill level.

It's very much a traditional Halo campaign. Some people will be disappointed by that, others will not be.

I'm gonna go out on a limb as guess that Ryan just really hates that

*LEGIT SPOILERS here so don't give me lip if you read this*

Cortana is the big bad in this and he really liked the send off they gave to her in Halo 4. Only 3 missions where you play as Blue Team probably gave him an aneurysm as well.

*LEGIT SPOILERS here so don't give me lip if you read this*

Out of everything I've seen of this game worst campaign sounds like hyperbole but if those 2 things really get your blood boiling this I could see why you hate the campaign.

Do any of the reviews talk about the iwhbyd skull?

It's pretty easy to find this time around. It makes a few certain fights hilarious.

"Can you go? I have friends coming over."

The other skulls are a lot harder, though. Still haven't found any on missions 3, 5, 6, 10, 12, 13 & 15.

mcrommert

Banned
A Review Thread thread is some of the worst material you can read on GAF IMO. It will literally make you lose brain cells. Still, I hope this one will deliver at least a bit.

And I have no idea what he's talking about. I've been a Halo fan since 2004, when Halo 2 came out. Campaign is the best since ODST's for me. Loads better than Halo 4, even Reach.

Good to hear from you...is your review up yet?

dEvAnGeL

Im not a MP person so I've always played the halo games for the campaign only, i was very disappointed with halo 4 campaign and it seems after reading some reviews the story on this one is worse, shame, i was gonna buy an xbone on Black Friday just to play this but it seems I'll pass

hawk2025

Took me eight hours to beat it on Heroic. About eleven to finish it on Legendary. I didn't die all that much on my Heroic run, so I think 7/8 hours on Normal seems right, depending on your skill level.

It's very much a traditional Halo campaign. Some people will be disappointed by that, others will not be.

Well, 8 was the *lowest* number we were given for Normal, that was supposedly reached by several playtesters.

Doesn't sound right now. I figured they were breaking the pre-release trend of overstating game length, but I suppose not.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It's Halo so you expect the outliers to give a low score without properly justifying it. Looking really good overall.

Only 3 hours and 11 minutes till unlock.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hmmm. I was definitely on the hype train. I might be getting off at the next stop.

Reviewers should have rated the SP and MP seperately.

If they offered the game with MP or SP only for a discount then sure.

Good to hear from you...is your review up yet?

It's up, but it's in Dutch. I've got a review ready for the Halo lore thread, but it mostly focuses on the story and only briefly touches upon the gameplay.

Simply put, I think it tells a great story. Completely different in tone than what the marketing suggested. First half of the game gave me a legit ODST-vibe, as you're uncovering the mystery. Then everything kicks into overdrive. As I was watching the ending events unfurl, the feeling it gave me reminded me of the feeling I got at the end of The Empire Strikes Back.

Gameplay-wise the campaign it feels really close to what we got in Halo 3 and, more particularly, Halo 2. Some of the areas you encounter really look and feel like they were inspired by that game. Obviously you now have the ability to thrust, clamber and sprint, but this is the first time I've felt additions like this don't detract from the experience. These are not armor abilities you switch out, these are abilities you always have at your disposal and they feel great. Really add another new layer to the combat and the exploration. I've spent hours just climbing on top of structures, looking for audio logs and skulls.

Gorgaerea

Neo Member
One reviewer says he didn't like the story, suddenly a whole lot of people think the campaign is a turd ... How about reading multiple reviews and than forming an opinion (or better yet, play it yourself).

Top Bottom