• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Trago

Reading a bunch of these reviews, not bad. Looks like everyone complaining about aim down the sites should eat crow, seems to work well enough. Some reviews seem to be split on the campaign tho. I'll have to check that out myself. After reading reviews, it looks like arena matches are a real standout, and my kind of thing.

This shall be my first Xbox One game I buy. Good on you 343!

SpacLock

For those that like to compare

Daqn88M.jpg

LGRW.

Other than that, I disagree with most of those scores. Personally, the Halo 5 beta was the most fun I've had with the franchise since Halo 2.

Stinkles, get out of here! You deserve to read better!

People are always focusing on bad scores / bad reviews.
Lol, you should take a look at the positive ones too...

I completely disagree with reviews like Digital Spy, Destructoid and others... IMO Halo 5 is far better than Halo 4 and Halo 2, even Halo CE if I try to be less nostalgic about it. The story is more focused and better than Halo 4, the gameplay is top notch, missions 1, 2 and 7 to 13 are amazing, really...

What is it about Halo that brings some of the shittiest posts out of people? Man, if I were Stinkles, I'd bail out of GAF this week, it'd suck to see all your hard work and effort to be targeted from constant shitty posts full of people who had hardly any interest to begin with just to justify their shitposting on this game.
O come on now this is every review thread I've seen aside from the god awful post about ps exclusives being more polished nobody is shit posting every concern,or problem shouldn't be shit posting. Meanwhile u have people saying halo quality is better than bloodborne...wherever that came from

nib95

Banned
A number that impacts sales when it's supposed to be your big exclusive of the year.

Whilst it could impact sales, I doubt it will, not in the grand scheme of things.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - 83
Call of Duty: Ghosts - 78
Fifa 14 - 87
Fifa 15 - 82
Fifa 16 - 82

All the above games sold incredibly well either way, and given the kind of mind share prominence Halo has, I can't see it not doing really well.

jschreier

After MCC, it is insane to me how many websites are running full reviews before the game is out and testable in real-world conditions.

Reading a bunch of these reviews, not bad. Looks like everyone complaining about aim down the sites should eat crow, seems to work well enough. Some reviews seem to be split on the campaign tho. I'll have to check that out myself. After reading reviews, it looks like arena matches are a real standout, and my kind of thing.

This shall be my first Xbox One game I buy. Good on you 343!

Well if it was like traditional ADS as we initially thought, it would have sucked. But it works very well on all of the weapons and any weapon it was clunky on from the beta (the DMR) was adjusted.

It's honestly one of my favorite things about the game.

Trago

I guess less Chief means that Locke will be our new main guy in future Halo games. Not really bummed about that. Chief's story should have ended already.

shandy706

There is no way Bloodborne should be rated higher than Halo 5.

Bloodborne is already the GOTY among nearly half of GAF.

I find both of these posts equally hilarious.

How about quotes from all reviews, not from the best ones only? Just asking.

How about you make a list of all the things you love about Halo. Also, give us a review when you pick up the game tomorrow.

I'll do a review too, so you're not alone.

iBeleaf

Reviews look good. Don't know why people are going crazy.
Im just imagining the review thread of uncharted 4 if it has a meta of under 85 lol

EDIT: I believed too hard. :(

Not laughing at you at all ... But, your EDIT made me crack up... Thanks for starting my morning off with a chuckle!

As for the overall scores, mostly great scores, with a few outliers bringing the meta down. Still, in my opinion, I don't think that the game is not going to track as well as past games in the series, in either overall metacritic score or in sales. It just doesn't seem to have the same hype as past Halos. I have not seen many commercials and the Halo bundle does not seem to selling gangbusters on Amazon. It is currently 23 on the bestsellers list on release day. Granted, the bundle is $500, compared to the $350 PS4:Uncharted bundle, or to the other $400 XB1 bundles. The standalone game has consistently been #1 for the past few days, but is it going to move consoles? Not so sure as much as MS would like or as much as fans might have expected.

I honestly think that MS should have had a $350 Halo 5 bundle. The $500 bundle price tag is just too high, in my opinion.

nib95

Banned
After MCC, it is insane to me how many websites are running full reviews before the game is out and testable in real-world conditions.

Yeap. Not just MCC. Battlefield 4, Driveclub, Sim City, Unity and other games too. These days you never can be sure.

Journey

Banned
For those that like to compare

Daqn88M.jpg

That average will go up I'm sure. It sounds like Halo: Guardians multiplayer is a great improvement from the previous games and the campaign is the only thing holding it back from perfection, but it's not too shabby either. Halo 2's super high score is mostly for its multiplayer, cause the campaign was way too short and cliffhangy; sounds like a similar issue here.

Bloodrage

Banned
[Call-Me-G];182978126 said:
LMAO. You should make a poll IMO.
The Witcher 3 is in the place.

Bloodborne was really really good, but can't top Dark Souls.
Already did with superior combat, bosses, and atmosphere. Didn't play it huh?

Madness

Kotaku did it for years as well though so you should know 'why'. But you're right, which is why I like the renewed focus on 'post-launch' now. You can't just get an accurate look at the game with just a week of playing before launch. It's why more and more big game sites are having review in progress or holding off until after launch.

Trago

Well if it was like traditional ADS as we initially thought, it would have sucked. But it works very well on all of the weapons and any weapon it was clunky on from the beta (the DMR) was adjusted.

It's honestly one of my favorite things about the game.

Good to know, especially if it changes gameplay for the better.

-Snooze-

Banned
Seen these low scores coming, Halo is "old hat" for many.

Yet Uncharted will score highly regardless of how routine the game play is

watership

What is it about Halo that brings some of the shittiest posts out of people? Man, if I were Stinkles, I'd bail out of GAF this week, it'd suck to see all your hard work and effort to be targeted from constant shitty posts full of people who had hardly any interest to begin with just to justify their shitposting on this game.

Mascot game for a competing system that is in 2nd place. It's always been a target. That and Halo has been trolled heavy even a few months after it's debut. I remember the "Halo Overrated" posts started in 2001 online and never really stopped.

Top Bottom