• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Elandyll

Banned
Seen these low scores coming, Halo is "old hat" for many.

Yet Uncharted will score highly regardless of how routine the game play is

ogw0s.gif

Fat4all

Banned
How come Halo 5 doesn't have cool skeletons whose names are fonts?!? HOW COME UNDERTALE HAS 100% MORE PASTA THAN HALO 5?!?!?

dnmt

Banned
The reviews seem actually really great so I don't know what people are freaking out over and were expecting. The Halo series as a whole doesn't have a great storyline and 4 was by far the worst. The gameplay is what everyone comes to these games for and after the stepback that was 4 every review I have read is just praising the changes to the game. You have to also remember I doubt any of the reviewers played the game in 4 player co-op which is going to dramatically change how much fun your having being that the game is completely built around that.

You can provide all the excuses you want but this is still the lowest rated main Halo game. I figure people were expecting a lot better than the last one at least.

There is no way Bloodborne should be rated higher than Halo 5. That is all.

Really? Xbox exclusives aren't usually as polished as PS ones

Lol I know review threads are bad, but man never knew they'd be this bad...when will people learn though? It's quite sad really.

ps3ud0

After MCC, it is insane to me how many websites are running full reviews before the game is out and testable in real-world conditions.
Clicks > Integrity

No ones surprised really
Kotaku did it for years as well though so you should know 'why'. But you're right, which is why I like the renewed focus on 'post-launch' now. You can't just get an accurate look at the game with just a week of playing before launch. It's why more and more big game sites are having review in progress or holding off until after launch.
Like someone else said earlier I think reviews should be broken into a SP and MP score - that level of granularity would work for launch day reviews but also be useful for gamers who are only interested in one aspect of a game

ps3ud0 8)

After MCC, it is insane to me how many websites are running full reviews before the game is out and testable in real-world conditions.

First thing I thought. Beta or not, many should have waited. Kudos to you guys.

Lol I know review threads are bad, but man never knew they'd be this bad...when will people learn though? It's quite sad really.

It's quite the meltdown for some. Sad that we can't be civil. The current score isn't that bad tbh

etta

my hard graphic balls
What is it about Halo that brings some of the shittiest posts out of people? Man, if I were Stinkles, I'd bail out of GAF this week, it'd suck to see all your hard work and effort to be targeted from constant shitty posts full of people who had hardly any interest to begin with just to justify their shitposting on this game.

It just goes to show how massive Halo is. It has it's own gravitational field.

Not really sure why there's such a fixation on the metacritic score for a game like Halo, whose MP component is the most important aspect for most of its community.

Reviewers have neither the time nor the capacity for understanding required to delve into the MP and incorporate it into the review in any meaningful way. The review scores for any Halo game are essentially a review of the campaign.

Gator86

Review threads never disappoint. That said, I'm somewhat surprised 343 cant make a competent, coherent story out of "space marine punches aliens." Oh well, 60fps shooter so get on it, gamefly.

Finally had time to read through most of them and the reviews seem actually really great so I don't know what people are freaking out over and were expecting. The Halo series as a whole doesn't have a great storyline and 4 was by far the worst. The gameplay is what everyone comes to these games for and after the stepback that was 4 every review I have read is just praising the changes to the game. You have to also remember I doubt any of the reviewers played the game in 4 player co-op which is going to dramatically change how much fun your having being that the game is completely built around that.

Trago

Agreed. MC's story will end with Halo 6 and Locke will take over

Judging by these write ups, Locke and his team aren't particularly interesting, which is disappointing. Hopefully 343 flesh them out more in the future. I'd like to get attached to the new crew. Sorta like ODST's main cast, they were fun.

So we got another Halo 2 on our hands here? That sounds good to me. That MP will keep me busy for quite some time. Warzone is looking like a hit. Pro players are enjoying the game. Looks like a good time to be a Halo fan.

Review threads never disappoint. That said, I'm somewhat surprised 343 cant make a competent, coherent story out of "space marine punches aliens." Oh well, 60fps shooter so get on it, gamefly.

You just replied to a post by saying "Review threads never disappoint"...and then you proceeded to do the exact same thing. Did you even re-read or think about your comment before you posted it...?

le.phat

I think Halo is a victim of an overall fatigue of FPS games. After all, it was Halo 1 that made the FPS on consoles as big as they are today, and comparing Halo 1 to 5, it's painstakingly apparent how hard this genre has been stagnating for years now. I think these reviews should be interpreted in two ways: Add a +1 to the metacritic score if you're a full-blown Halo fan, otherwise, accept the 8 for what it is: a good shooter that'll be hot until the next big FPS comes along.

aly

Really sad to hear about the campaign stuff, but at least it's sounding better than 4. Also this thread is rather entertaining, so theres that.

Ricky_R

Come on guys... Don't mind shitty posts, it will lock the thread.

I know it's annoying at times, but if you ignore those comments, they will eventually fade.

I think the game would have benefited (and reviewed much higher) had they chosen to go with Blue team and Chief only.

I don't really see the benefit of adding another character, Locke, who fits much of the same mold as Chief himself and who just comes off as quite dull. And I think some of my narrative problems with the game come from having to split the already small amount of game time across 8 characters (of whom 7 are brand new).

Locke just isn't the Arbiter.

ekim

Halo 5 is better on Metcaritic then Uncharted 4. Halo has more powerfuller weapons like machine guns with laser nullets. Natan Drak only jumps around and a pistol. And the graphic is not so good on Uncarted becaus it's not in space like Halo. I think Sony should themselves in the food with another Uncharted.

Halo 5 should be higher. HaloCE and Halo 2 lower

It's all relative regarding the time each respective entry releases.

On another note, I can't bear to imagine how the Rise of the Tomb Raider thread will end up. Going to be full of confirmation bias posts like "knew this game would be crap"etc, or "meh, will wait 1 year for PS4 version or gamefly it" lol. It's quite entertaining in one respect but worrying in another :p

VinFTW

Welp, wanted to sleep an extra hour but reading through this thread was a AAA blockbusters worth of entertainment on its own.

Rip sleep

Markoman

I think Halo is a victim of an overall fatigue of FPS games. After all, it was Halo 1 that made the FPS on consoles as big as they are today, and comparing Halo 1 to 5, it's painstakingly apparent how hard this genre has been stagnating for years now. I think these reviews should be interpreted in two ways: Add a +1 to the metacritic score if you're a full-blown Halo fan, otherwise, accept the 8 for what it is: a good shooter that'll be hot until the next big FPS comes along.

Very good post, you should've kept that for another thread

Reaperssj

Ive never owned an xbox in my life and only played through Halo:CE on my cousins xbox and i can still say that was one of the greatest FPS experiences I've ever played. So Halo 5 after looking at the game play videos and watching reviews I say in my humblest opinion that this game looks fantastic and would make me want an xbox just to play it or perhaps a PC port that will never happen. Cheers my xbox bros enjoy your awesome exclusive game while I wait for my Soooooony games to come out =( (at least there's Bllodborne DLC on the horizon cant wait for that =))

Top Bottom