• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Probably a better game than H5.

tumblr_mibaliErLP1rnt3nko1_250.gif

yeah sure lets compare a FPS with an RPG

this thread man

Kalentan

The info-graphic 343 put out a little bit ago claimed that it was around 8-12 hours which is roughly in line with the rest of the other Halo's.

Actual playtimes in most reviews are hovering around the 6 hour mark on Normal.

It is what it is.

What would the average for the series be, 10 hours maybe?

Neither do I personally, but it's got a lot of potential so I'm not gonna completely write it off.

I mean if you play Halo on normal, it's not uncommon to beat any of the games in 6 hours or less. So if reviews are beating it around that time or sooner on normal, that is to be expected.

He's right. The days of Master Chief sweeping up Game of the Year awards are over and that's pretty sad. Wish they could do higher quality again.

When the heck did that ever happen? There has always been a very strong bias against shooters when it comes to that from what I have seen.

Same deal with racing games/RTS. We have seen years where landmark titles were released in those genre and they still got beat by other games in GOTY awards.

The last time I can recall that happening was with COD4 in 2007.

AdanVC

My god... this game is scoring pretty damn well but just because it doesn't have a 90+ on Metacritic people are calling it a failure of gigantic proportions??? I don't even have an X1 or have plans to to get one anytime soon to play this but COME. ON!! This rage is getting ridiculous!

Dammit :(
Sounds like the greatness that was Halo is over. I have been a fan since Combat Evolved at the Xbox Launch and after more than a decade.... words can not explain this letdown. The memories of how great the series was in the Halo 1,2,3 era will never be forgotten.

halo-5-guardians-a-hero-falls-trailer-breakdown-chief-lives-637247.jpg

Sweet dreams my Master :(
Warning: satire post

This is what I'm talking about. Unless this is a joke post wich I freaking hope it is.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I don't think Fallout 4 will is nailed on for a good score at all. Since the last Fallout, RPGs have made huge leaps. We've had the Souls games, and Witcher 3, which have raised the bar significantly.

I think Bethesda will deliver, I also think Fallout is different enough from the games you mentioned that their success won't affect the general perception of Fallout.

Kssio_Aug

He's right. The days of Master Chief sweeping up Game of the Year awards are over and that's pretty sad. Wish they could do higher quality again.

I'm really not sure if that's totally related to quality though. We all know how the media outlet works nowadays.

It's not just Halos fault. There are more games than ever these days and the age of an AAA winning GOTY by default is over. Smaller budget indie titles are now competing for these awards too, and as the candidates pool grows larger it's simply tougher to stand as high above as Halo once did

The series can just be proud that it influenced modern console shooters in a way other games won't for a long time

Neither do I personally, but it's got a lot of potential so I'm not gonna completely write it off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm buying it and, because it's a Remedy game, I'll probably enjoy the hell out of it. I just don't see it reviewing above 90. I foresee a situation where reviewers are thrown off by the FMV cut scenes. Anyway, that's enough OT talk from me.

Sounds like the greatness that was Halo is over. I have been a fan since Combat Evolved at the Xbox Launch and after more than a decade.... words can not explain this letdown. The memories of how great the series was in the Halo 1,2,3 era will never be forgotten.

lmfaaoooo. gold. absolute gold.

Warning: satire post

Lololololololol

People are talking in here like their dog just died over an 85 metacritic with 38/41 reviews recommending the game. SMH.

E: and yes, that is a NeoGold post.

Isn't Halo 3 pretty short on normal aswell? Like only 5-6hours. I think you can even finish the first level in 10-12mins

Most of them are to be honest. In my last playthrough of the MCC the only one that took me longer than 7 hours on heroic was Halo 2 and that's because that fucking game's difficulty is busted and always has been.

Kssio_Aug

I don't think that estimate gave a difficulty, did it?

Unfortunately it did. Normal mode.

However most of the reviewers may have rushed quite a bunch, and some of them are probably experienced with the franchise already. Still, 6~7 hours is quite lower than 8~12. I usually take much longer on Halo than other players though, so I'll see if I'll enter the 8~12 mark soon.

Doran902

It is. Some people are just overreacting. 8.5 is a good score. No doubt about it.

i think the reaction is its a good score for a game but not a good score for a halo game

same with other big franchises like zelda, gta, mario etc

people expect a lot out of them

eastx

I'm going to assume that the length thing is due to the revive mechanic. In the past we have had to start over completely from the last checkpoint. I'm honestly not a fan of it being there outside of co-op.

I really can't imagine it doesn't negatively affect the challenge of the game.

It took me 12 hours to beat the campaign on Heroic. It's not shorter than previous Halo games.

I think Bethesda will deliver, I also think Fallout is different enough from the games you mentioned that their success won't affect the general perception of Fallout.

Guess we will see very soon! I hope it is good, but after Dark Souls, it seemed like a large number of gaming publications turned on Skyrim and criticised a lot of the mechanics as looking a bit tired and shallow. I can see it being a really good game if you love Bethesda RPGs, but I think it might also get some criticism from the press if it hasn't moved on in gameplay terms.

Isn't Halo 3 pretty short on normal aswell? Like only 5-6hours. I think you can even finish the first level in 10-12mins

Most of the par times for all Halo levels in the MCC are 15 or 25 minutes. Even Assault on the Control Room has a par time of 25 minutes. That's just crazy to me.

I don't know what is going on, haha I thought I was missing out on some sarcasm or something.

Again, this franchise has high expectations. You can bet your ass that if the new Zelda, GTA, or Uncharted game landed an 85 MC, people would be freaking out just as much.

Of course. The game is now made by a totally different developer. You can't just switch out developers of a franchise and expect the game to keep getting the same lofty scores it did when the old devs were in charge.

It's like Sony letting Ready At Dawn make Uncharted 5. I know already that wouldn't be very good.

hawk2025

So it does. I'll be damned. WTF 343.

I don't think it's a huuuuge deal, especially since it's roughly in line with previous games, but I do feel like we were led to believe that it would be a meatier single player through and through. Ah well, there's always multiple difficulties and skulls to find.

This is seriously hilarious. Started laughing out loud at work.

Thank you.
I'm not saying that i didn't agree with your statement that Halo is little too overhyped, but i think that dude with Last of Us avatar saying something about "unreasonably high reputation" in Halo thread is also hilarious.

zsynqx

Guess we will see very soon! I hope it is good, but after Dark Souls, it seemed like a large number of gaming publications turned on Skyrim and criticised a lot of the mechanics as looking a bit tired and shallow. I can see it being a really good game if you love Bethesda RPGs, but I think it might also get some criticism from the press if it hasn't moved on in gameplay terms.

They hired the guy who created the hand cannon in destiny and did a lot of work for weapon tuning/gunplay to help them on the combat side of things.

Betty

Banned

I also agree with the other poster that Fallout 4 will be amazing, and this is coming from someone underwhelmed by the reveal trailer and the E3 showing, there's just something inherently freeing about Bethesda's games that no other game captures.

Kawngi

Kind of a bummer to hear from most sources that the Campaign isn't that great. Still buying the game regardless because I've had a lot of play testing with the Multi and it's been a great time for me.

Hoping the ending isn't Halo 2 levels of let down though...

Kalentan

What's IGN talking about with the story for 4? Sure, EU would help but it was easy enough to follow the story, right?

Honestly I'm becoming more and more convinced those who couldn't fallow Halo 4 were asleep or something. Sure you may not understand all of the details, but the story is stupidly easy to follow.

I also agree with the other poster that Fallout 4 will be amazing, and this is coming from someone underwhelmed by the reveal trailer and the E3 showing, there's just something inherently freeing about Bethesda's games that no other game captures.

At the end of the day, what the press think is irrelevant if you like it. That's the only thing that matters. Here's hoping you guys are right.

AP90

Oh man, it's down to 85:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/halo-5-guardians

This thread's going to implode.

Well the 60 (digital spy.. Troll??), 70 (destructiod), 70 (Toronto sun) out of 41 reviews

Did drop the metascore approx 2.5pts. There I don't see how this game could really be below an 80/100 in my opinion.

I think a good portion of these low reviews are because you play as
Locke/osiris more than chief/blue and/or lack of split screen coop,
which is utter BS IMO.

On a serious note, what is the typical amount of critics that usually post. Bloodborne had around 90 last time I checked.

Top Bottom