• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

farisr

So you're just going to blatantly disregard the reviewers that enjoyed the campaign and declare only negative reviews the truth? Okay then.

I'm looking at the general consensus, and that's what it seems like to me. I'm not going into full reviews as its spoiler territory. And also, I'm playing the game whenever it arrives regardless as I have it preordered so I'll find out myself.

Chill.

zsynqx

Does anyone else think that games getting above 90 just aren't gonna happen this gen? I know Destiny TTK did, but it only had like 8 reviews.

I think reviewers are demanding innovation that just isn't there for these games. I don't think multiplayer deathmatch shooting has too many more places it can go without being bogged down by too much pointless shit.

We've seen what, Bloodborne and MGSV (a game with a dubious reviewer event) score that high*? And Bloodborne, for all that it is, is hardly innovative- it's really just a faster Souls game with an awesome aesthetic. Last gen, we were seeing games like Gears of War 1 and Halo 3 and Modern Warfare 1 and Bioshock and Rock Band and Mass Effect all roping in the critical darling scores.

I think part of it is due to the sheer number of outlets, and the fringe ones demanding more from the AAA games. Some of these scores look ridiculous next to all of the 10/10's, etc. Nothing wrong with wanting more, but I would bet that's bringing down the average quite a bit across all games this gen.

*not counting re-releases

I don't believe that to be the case. Even the disappointing Arkham game with the main new feature being something people generally disliked still scored in the high 80s. Maybe part of it is franchise fatigue and maybe part of it is reviewers expecting more from these new machines, but when an amazing game comes out I am sure the 10s will come flying out like they did with the three games you mentioned.

ironcreed

Banned
Oh man, it's down to 85:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/halo-5-guardians

This thread's going to implode.

926.gif

Kssio_Aug

The revive mechanic probably means a lot fewer deaths and replaying sections this time around. I'll see how I feel about it in practice but my gut feeling is I wish they put in a toggle to disable it.

Yeah, I guess it really affects the play time aswell!

I think that, on average, "people who post on neogaf" are going to be much, much faster with games than the general gaming population. If you're someone who tracks how long it takes you to beat a game, and have made an account on neogaf, and post about it, you're already in the upper echelon.

(Again, on average, not always!)

And there's also that. Many Gaffers who plays Halo may have finished all of them (or some of them) in Legendary, making a normal playthrough ease.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I don't believe that to be the case. Even the disappointing Arkham game with the main new feature being something people generally disliked still scored in the high 80s. Maybe part of it is franchise fatigue and maybe part of it is reviewers expecting more from these new machines, but when an amazing game comes out I am sure the 10s will come flying out like they did with the three games you mentioned.

Fallout and Uncharted 4 will almost certainly end up with 90+ MC scores.

farisr

Why do some people come to the conclusion that the story is terrible?
Maybe read the positive story comments also?

Maybe they're looking at reviews by folks they generally agree with. There are always going to be both positive and negative opinions about any story.

GnawtyDog

Banned
85 is a great score. Although, all 4 of the big reviews in progress (IGN, Gamespot, Gameinformer, Gametrailers) all come from big publications and all of their current text seems very positive, so as long as servers hold up I could see all of them giving it a 9 or higher, which would bump up the metascore for you weirdos.

GI is gonna be 8.5 least, 9.5 max. GT, 8.0-9.0, Prob 8.5. GS - 8.5 solid, IGN - 8.5-9.0. Those scores are prob going to bump it to 87 solid.

But... when will that be? It seems like the only companies that get those scores nowadays are Naughty Dog, Rockstar, and Bioware if they score a hit. This is essentially the biggest Microsoft game (I highly doubt Gears 4 or Remedy's game will score noticeably higher).

I totally get the franchise fatigue though. I don't think it's even possible for CoD or AC to get above a 9 average anymore, even if the game was immaculately designed with next to no bugs unless it was revolutionary.

*obvious we don't have a Rockstar game yet or even know of one and Uncharted might prove me wrong but I can easily see franchise fatigue dropping it to high 80s.

Euron

I remember at the beginning of the year I predicted that Halo 5 would get an 85 MC Score and people would unanimously say it's better than Halo 4 yet not the best in the series.

I'm not saying that I told you so but I'm also saying that I make a lot of Game of Thrones predictions that are pretty off so make of this what you will.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Pretty much. Maybe Dark Souls 3 as well. Quantum Break I have no idea.

I hope this is the case with DS3, there's a chance that it being the third of these games in 2 years may affect it's scores though. Quantum Break could go either way at this point, it looks fantastic, but then so did Alan Wake (a good game but failed to live up to expectation IMO).

Halo has an unreasonably high reputation and lineage to live up to. If the latest console Zelda or 3D Mario got a similar score, GAF would similarly burn to the ground.

Personally, I'm fine with it. I'm more concerned with the contents of what the reviews say after reading them. The story and length of the campaign seem like a major weakpoint, which is rather disappointing to me.

I'm a bit late to the thread, what kind of range are people reporting the length of the campaign to be?

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I mean unless you've got bonuses relying on a metacritic score above 90 I don't really see why people would be upset over an 85. I bet after it's out for a few weeks it'll be sitting right around an 82 MC score. Which is damn good.

Vire

Down to 85? For anyone to be upset about a game being down to 85 seems crazy.

Halo has an unreasonably high reputation and lineage to live up to. If the latest console Zelda or 3D Mario got a similar score, GAF would similarly burn to the ground.

Personally, I'm fine with it. I'm more concerned with the contents of what the reviews say after reading them. The story and length of the campaign seem like a major weakpoint, which is rather disappointing to me.

Kind of surprised by Ryans comment as he praised Halo 4's campaign. I have heard from a few people here on GAF they said it was much better than Halo 4. Then again he also praised the multiplayer of Halo4 and well we know how that turned out.

To be honest though i dont care. I will still be picking this up tonight along with my elite controller and ill probably have a blast playing through the campaign like i always have. Also the multiplayer is just as important and i am glad to see a wide skill gap ranking system in place.

Plus this game has way more positive reviews than negative. I am sure it will be excellent.

Oh man, it's down to 85:

Dammit :(
Sounds like the greatness that was Halo is over. I have been a fan since Combat Evolved at the Xbox Launch and after more than a decade.... words can not explain this letdown of an 85. The memories of how great the series were in the Halo 1,2,3 era will never be forgotten.

halo-5-guardians-a-hero-falls-trailer-breakdown-chief-lives-637247.jpg

Sweet dreams my Master :(
Warning: satire post

Sounds like the greatness than was Halo is over. I have been a fan since Combat Evolved at the Xbox Launch and after more than a decade.... words can not explain this letdown, considering how great the series was in the Halo 1,2,3 era

Sweet dreams :(

are you joking?

joking, right?

I'm going to assume that the length thing is due to the revive mechanic. In the past we have had to start over completely from the last checkpoint. I'm honestly not a fan of it being there outside of co-op.

I really can't imagine it doesn't negatively affect the challenge of the game.

Was hoping to be able to start a campaign without player revives but I hasn't seen the option.

We will see how things go tonight, bit right now it's looking like Titanfall is going to take over as my favorite game IP.

GI is gonna be 8.5 least, 9.5 max. GT, 8.0-9.0, Prob 8.5. GS - 8.5 solid, IGN - 8.5-9.0. Those scores are prob going to bump it to 87 solid.

That's about how I think it will shake out.

Quantum Break could go either way at this point, it looks fantastic, but then so did Alan Wake (a good game but failed to live up to expectation IMO).

I doubt that Quantum Break reviews at a 90+. I would even stake my Dave Schools avatar on it.

VinFTW

Sounds like the greatness than was Halo is over. I have been a fan since Combat Evolved at the Xbox Launch and after more than a decade.... words can not explain this letdown, considering how great the series was in the Halo 1,2,3 era

Sweet dreams :(
Joke post?

meanspartan

Oh man, it's down to 85:

85 is a fine, solid score. I am still very excited to play it.

But let's not lie to ourselves, it IS a bit of a let down that it doesn't seem like Halo 5 will be a GOTY contender for most people and thus won't join that Witcher 3/ Bloodborne /MGS V class of games this year (perhaps soon to be joined by Fallout and Tomb Raider? Hope so!).

I thought Halo 4 was pretty good, and a solid first outing for 343, but I hoped Halo 5 would be the one that put them on Bungie's level.

All that said, I haven't played the game yet. Maybe I will disagree with these reviews and think this game IS a GOTY contender. Can't wait to find out!

Hjod

Banned
I'm on the verge of buying myself an Xbox One and replaying with MCC and Halo 5, if I see a sweet deal this christmas I'm jumping aboard.

Edit.

Isn't 85 a really good score, what am I missing?

Vire

How long is it supposed to be?

The info-graphic 343 put out a little bit ago claimed that it was around 8-12 hours which is roughly in line with the rest of the other Halo's.

Actual playtimes in most reviews are hovering around the 6 hour mark on Normal.

It is what it is.

image.php

mjc

An 85 on metacritic simply isn't acceptable to me. It tells me that the story will be one of the worst in the series, and the MP can't pick up that slack. Better luck next time, 343.....

Top Bottom