• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Vire

Well the 60 (digital spy.. Troll??), 70 (destructiod), 70 (Toronto sun) out of 41 reviews

Did drop the metascore approx 2.5pts. There I don't see how this game could really be below an 80/100 in my opinion.

I think a good portion of these low reviews are because you play as
Locke/osiris more than chief/blue and/or lack of split screen coop,
which is utter BS IMO.

On a serious note, what is the typical amount of critics that usually post. Bloodborne had around 90 last time I checked.

What's the difference between an 87 and an 85 though? Seriously?
but the last of us is a playstation game!! he must be biased!

I appreciate the defense, but it's not even worth responding to.

TheXbox

Honestly I'm becoming more and more convinced those who couldn't fallow Halo 4 were asleep or something. Sure you may not understand all of the details, but the story is brain dead easy to follow.
You spend more than half the game fighting the Covenant, and it never explains why. It never explains the functional purpose of Requiem. It never explains how Master Chief ended up at Requiem. It does attempt to explain the Didact and his motivations in the form of a poorly animated info dump which retcons the entire franchise, turning John into the Librarian's starchild of destiny or some fucking nonsense.

I really wonder how many people who place such importance on metacritic have posts somewhere about not caring about metacritic.

It's a bit annoying how even I find myself looking at metacritic scores like they mean something instinctually even though I know better. It's a pox on this industry I swear.

Glass

Honestly I'm becoming more and more convinced those who couldn't fallow Halo 4 were asleep or something. Sure you may not understand all of the details, but the story is stupidly easy to follow.

The Librarian info dump was lost on me and all my friends playing together. Can confirm we were not asleep. The Didact was massively underdeveloped and one dimensional in game. No idea what his problem was.

I will never, ever, understand this forum's sick obsession with review scores.

Me neither, it could be worse, it could be sales.

The Librarian info dump was lost on me and all my friends playing together. Can confirm we were not asleep. The Didact was massively underdeveloped and one dimensional in game. No idea what his problem was.
I played through the campaign with a friend and every other time he opened his mouth was to ask what the hell was going on. 4s campaign was just an overall trainwreck once all the forerunner stuff got introduced.

AP90

The point is that it can take only a handful of reviews to drop a metascore depending on how many people weighed in.

And for quite a few reviews I bet the lack of split screen coop and the
80/20 team play ratio Osiris/Blue
did affect reviews where I think they should not have. So factoring that in, it could be 5points actually.

It's not just this forum, it's everywhere in gaming.

It's the only entertainment medium that has such an issue with scores. Most other industries work on a more basic kind of recommendation system (usually something like "liked/didn't like" or "buy/rent/skip") - which I wish more game reviewers would go after.

This issue tends to blow up most when a new exclusive game comes out when the biggest fans (...and fanboys) are out.

Honestly I'm becoming more and more convinced those who couldn't fallow Halo 4 were asleep or something. Sure you may not understand all of the details, but the story is stupidly easy to follow.

When people that have played all of the mainline Halo games multiple times are still confused about things in the game, only 343i is to blame. They leaned very heavily on Extended Universe stuff and did a very poor job of explaining it.

You know the saying, don't hate the player...

eastx

Hmmm, so it didn't seem like the actual challenge was lessened due to that mechanic in your experience?

I don't think revives make a big impact on the difficulty. It's the difference between respawning right where you are or like 100 feet back at the last checkpoint. You can't always count on revives either, because the AI has to get to you in time and they are kind of dumb, plus even the AI teammates get downed and bleed out.

I believe that reviving teammates is a solid co-op mechanic, and I'm in favor of having those mechanics that actually involve players directly helping each other.

Kalentan

You spend more than half the game fighting the Covenant, and it never explains why. It never explains the functional purpose of Requiem. It never explains how Master Chief ended up at Requiem. It does attempt to explain the Didact and his motivations in the form of a poorly animated info dump which retcons the entire franchise, turning John into the Librarian's starchild of destiny or some fucking nonsense.

But those are details? Can you still follow what happened?

1. They say the Covenant aren't wearing the standard military grade gear, this is a hint of things.
2. Considering other Forerunners are dead and he's not and the big 'weapon' of the Halo franchise. It's really easy to assume it blocks the Halo effect.
3. They drifted towards it? Do you really need an explanation of that?
4. I'll give you that they could have done more to explain the Didact. Also there is no retcons. People need to stop thinking there was. Explaining what isn't there isn't a retcon, otherwise any additional media ever is a retcon.
5. The Librarian literally tells you that you will be immune to the composure if you become further 'evolved.' There's nothing more to it.

But even with all of that, can you tell me what happened in Halo 4 and tell me how one event lead to the next? Then grats, you followed the story.

Also with the Librarian cutscene she explained...

1. That ancient humanity fought the Forerunners trying to escape the Flood.
2. The Forerunners tried to make them selves digitalize but it wouldn't work. This was an attempt to get away from the Flood as
the flood could only assimilate living tissue.
3. The Librarian then says how the morality of what the Didact was doing faded from him.
4. Chief then mentions how the Prometheans are Humans, this should clue you into what the Didact's goal is.
5. The Librarian also says how it will help him get his revenge.

I really don't get how this is hard to understand. Unless your someone who can't piece info together when it's being told to you.

So okay, you got the Didact who was composing Humans and wants to compose more Humans to get his revenge? Why revenge? Well go back to 1, the Forerunners fought Ancient Humanity. It's easy to assume he wants revenge for that.

Vire

The point is that it can take only a handful of reviews to drop a metascore depending on how many people weighed in.

And for quite a few reviews I bet the lack of split screen coop and the
80/20 team play ratio Osiris/Blue
did affect reviews where I think they should not have. So factoring that in, it could be 5points actually.

Why shouldn't the lack of splitscreen affect reviews? It's a hallmark for the series and because of it, I won't be able to play co-op with my brother. That sucks and I would totally dock points too.

The other story point is more a personal/subjective thing, so that's up to the person reviewing in question. It's going to be sad when the Quarter to Three review comes in and ruins all of 343's bonus checks though.

Of course. The game is now made by a totally different developer. You can't just switch out developers of a franchise and expect the game to keep getting the same lofty scores it did when the old devs were in charge.

It's like Sony letting Ready At Dawn make Uncharted 5. I know already that wouldn't be very good.
But it seems Halo 5 is "very good" according to the reviews.

BumRush

I'll never know why these things matter. I only have a PS4. If U4 gets mid-80s review scores but I love it, why would that matter?

Osahi

Or we aren't as invested in Halo lore, that has become an inpenatrable mess of pompous terms like Rampancy, the Arbiter, the whateverthehell. I was allready lost after a few lines of dialogue in Halo 5 with al those words that have close to zero meaning to someone who just finished the campaigns and forgot most of the (forgetable) stories afterwards. At times halo reads like bad scifi, masking its faults behind an abundance of words and concepts.

I love the gameplay, but the story was lost on me after combat evolved. That said, Halo 5's story is pretty straightforward and easy to follow, even without a Halo wiki next to you.

GametimeUK

IGN'S Reviews can not catch a break at all. If they bring their review out first people complain that they didn't play it long enough. If they wait to play it long enough people complain that they are waiting to see what other sites score it before scoring it themselves. I'm no IGN fanboy, but they're better than people give them credit for.

So I cut up my recording of the playthrough for my review, and these were my results:
o4lyMhQ.png

1. They say the Covenant aren't wearing the standard military grade gear, this is a hint of things.
2. Considering other Forerunners are dead and he's not and the big 'weapon' of the Halo franchise. It's really easy to assume it blocks the Halo effect.
4. I'll give you that they could have done more to explain the Didact. Also there is no retcons. People need to stop thinking there was. Explaining what isn't there isn't a retcon, otherwise any additional media ever is a retcon.
5. The Librarian literally tells you that you will be immune to the composure if you become further 'evolved.' There's nothing more to it.

But even with all of that, can you tell me what happened in Halo 4 and tell me how one event lead to the next? Then grats, you followed the story.

Because all that matters in a story is the literal timeline of events? It doesn't matter if there is no context, contradictions in themes or events, poor editing and pacing, etc. Being able to say, well this happened - don't know why - but I know it happened, is a really piss poor way to excuse bad writing.

Gurish

85 MC is pretty shocking, I expected 90 MC at least after reading impressions, not that 85 is bad, it feels like critics are harsher than they used to be.

Vire

So I cut up my recording of the playthrough for my review, and these were my results:
o4lyMhQ.png

A few questions, is there a specific reason you chose normal? Typically Bungie and or 343 have always stated that Heroic is the way "it's meant to be played". However prententious that may seem.

Also, did you stop and look for collectibles at all or just follow the main path? Just curious because these things can affect playtime.

Why shouldn't the lack of splitscreen affect reviews? It's a hallmark for the series and because of it, I won't be able to play co-op with my brother. That sucks and I would totally dock points too.

The other story point is more a personal/subjective thing, so that's up to the person reviewing in question. It's going to be sad when the Quarter to Three review comes in and ruins all of 343's bonus checks though.

That does suck but...compared to the claims about it being super MC focused it's not a big deal because 343 said it wouldn't be in etc. I guess as a hallmark of the series then sure, but shouldn't a game be critiqued on what it has and was promised?

I mean people critiqued MGSV's story and structure etc for not only retconning large parts of the canon, or at least introducing another twist where there was no need, but beyond that I think it's kinda preferential. Eh, maybe i'm thinking of them as more statement of fact sorta things. I guess it'd be harder to knock Halo 6 for no splitscreen considering H5 probably starts a new trend.

Although really as fantastic as 60fps seems to be for the game, that Digital Foundry article about the IQ is kinda...yeesh. If they're not going to bring back splitscreen for Halo 6 I guess i'd like them to go after improving the IQ etc and refine other elements.

hawk2025

They didn't say 8 was the minimum, they proposed 8-12 as the expected range for average players.

An expectation is not a range, it's a number.

The proper estimator for the lower bound and higher bound of a range is the minimum and the maximum respectively.

To be fair review scores do make a difference sometimes. I think AC Unity and Until Dawn review scores were very important, but as far as I'm concerned 85 to 95 metacritic is pretty much the same score these days.

TheXbox

Also with the Librarian cutscene she explained...

1. That ancient humanity fought the Forerunners trying to escape the Flood.
2. The Forerunners tried to make them selves digitalize but it wouldn't work. This was an attempt to get away from the Flood as
the flood could only assimilate living tissue.
3. The Librarian then says how the morality of what the Didact was doing faded from him.
4. Chief then mentions how the Prometheans are Humans, this should clue you into what the Didact's goal is.
5. The Librarian also says how it will help him get his revenge.

I really don't get how this is hard to understand. Unless your someone who can't piece info together when it's being told to you.

So okay, you got the Didact who was composing Humans and wants to compose more Humans to get his revenge? Why revenge? Well go back to 1, the Forerunners fought Ancient Humanity. It's easy to assume he wants revenge for that.
I'm not going to address all of these points. It is a fact that a great number of people walked away from Halo 4 having not understood what the hell happened or why it did. You simply cannot hand wave fundamental story beats like "WHY AM I FIGHTING COVENANT" and "WHY AM I HERE", or "WHAT EVEN IS THIS PLACE". Terrible storytelling.

And by the way, there is an explanation for Chief ending up at Requiem. It's locked away in a terminal in Halo fucking 3. Never addressed in Halo 4. And the retcon I'm talking about has to do with the Librarian laying seeds or whatever that led to Master Chief and his inevitable encounter with the Librarian. That recontextualizes all of the previous games, so yes, it is a retcon.

Top Bottom