• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

feel

^^ I hope that aiming being smooth in original thing is true, at least. Having it not feel right like it should in remade mode would not matter to me because it looks so different anyways, but in original mode any minimal difference would be jarring.

FyreWulff

HiredN00bs said:
Just finished reading the thread (whew!). Nice job, Ghal (and others).

My Newegg.com pre-order is still on hold, so I'll be reserving at a midnight launch Gamestop this weekend. I'll probably just give the Newegg copy to a friend.

There was still one detail I'm not perfectly clear on. If I have Reach GOnD w/the Noble, Defiant, and Anniversary map packs, will selecting Multiplayer from the CEA menu take me to Reach GOnD?

Will the Anniversary playlists have non-Anniversary maps?

Reflection and Hemorrhage would make sense, don't know why those two weren't included on the CE:A disc in the first place.

They'd have to be made optional though.

Striker

Hemorrhage would at least make sense in the playlist, and at the same time, is not a bad map despite what those in HaloGAF say. Sure it isn't Coag, but it's provides a good setting for a large, vehicle based 2-flag map. Without AA's, it would work marvelously. No Active-Camo in the base with Shotgun, but instead placed in the red cave or the blue team rocks. No random jet-packers trying to get out of the map. And so forth.

Maybe 343 will add it in eventually, surely wouldn't hurt.

ElRenoRaven

Striker said:
Hemorrhage would at least make sense in the playlist, and at the same time, is not a bad map despite what those in HaloGAF say. Sure it isn't Coag, but it's provides a good setting for a large, vehicle based 2-flag map. Without AA's, it would work marvelously. No Active-Camo in the base with Shotgun, but instead placed in the red cave or the blue team rocks. No random jet-packers trying to get out of the map. And so forth.

It would. The only thing that truly hurts it is the DMR and it's range. However assuming the DMR would not be in the classic playlists then there wouldn't be the DMR issue.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Letters said:
Firefight location thing is so weird. Before they revealed it, I thougth they were referring to that early part of the level where you meet Johnson and then defend against a bunch of waves of covenant, and not the cliff edge area that enemies are already occupying and you attack to save some marines near the end of the level. After the reveal they keep talking about it in interviews as the iconic and original campaign firefight location and it makes me go wtf.

Unless (I haven't looked at its vids too much), it is that early area of the mission but it's now next to a cliff edge, making it be mistaken by the other area.

agreed, from how they described it, it sounded like that first area. however, once i saw that it was actually the cliffside, end of area part, i was even happier as truth be told thats a much more interesting play space.

Striker

I'm not very familiar with the settings they'll be using. I read they'll have a DMR/Pistol for BTB, so is that the "CE" Pistol, and the Reach bloom based DMR? If so, how much bloom, 100% or the TU Beta version of 85%?

The BTB playlist with its gametypes is the one I am most intrigued and eager to play. Hang 'em High isn't a great map for large amount of players but it at least is going to be playable. Timberland/Ridgeline and Headlong will be the others. Hemo as the fourth option would work okay given the circumstances of the removal of AA's, at the very least.

Marco1

Received mine today from shopto, unfortunately it's my mothers birthday and I need to do the whole dinner and presents thing.
Anyone that wants the female MC costume PM me.
I will be using shopto from now on after the MW3 debacle with amazon.

What's up with game installs these days? I installed but the disc was still spinning in the menu, and only stopped when I loaded up PoA.

Oh and there's a couple of minor framerate drops in the opening cutscene, but no way near as bad as in that gamespot video.

Pre-order cancelled. Wait...

Marco1

Photolysis said:
What's up with game installs these days? I installed but the disc was still spinning in the menu, and only stopped when I loaded up PoA.

Oh and there's a couple of minor framerate drops in the opening cutscene, but no way near as bad as in that gamespot video.

Pre-order cancelled. Wait...
It's the new disc format MS uses now, they all spin up for a longer time.

FyreWulff

Striker said:

Well that, and having the super-forge map available to 100% of the userbase was a lot better than being limited to those who bought the DLC or another disc (in Halo 3's case)

Now we have a split userbase where people with the Reach disc have access to all the community creations and everyone with the Anniversary disc are shut out from the vast majority of community creations unless they go out and buy Reach, meaning authors get to decide if they want to make a map on Timberlands so Anniversary people can play it, or make it on Forge World so everyone with Reach can play it.

There's also a moment where you realize not having what could be the signature map from Halo 1 multiplayer not actually come with a Halo 1 remake is kind of weird.

IMO, missed opportunity. Reflection would have made sense too, but is excusable. Including Forge World (and therefore Blood Gulch) would have made sense as a bridge-map between the two playerbases, and allowed more playlists where both the CEA disc and the Reach disc could co-exist.

The Halo 3: Mythic method is still the best for deploying late-life DLC, but I guess they really wanted their single disc..

GhaleonEB said:
I went through the first two levels yesterday. Found the first terminal thanks to knowing where it was. Didn't find any skulls or the terminal on the second mission, despite spending the better part of an hour doing nothing but canvas the level for them. The skulls I wasn't expecting to find, those things are tiny. I was suprised I didn't find the second terminal; I spent tons of time scouring all the places I could think of - all Forerunner structures - but came up with nada. It's probably somewhere obvious that I missed.
The terminal is easy to find imo. I found the skull on the 2nd mission. I think you'll facepalm yourself, if you locate the skull on Halo. :)

Btw. do you want to try out the Firefight map with fyrewulff's gametype later this day?

feel

FyreWulff said:
Anniversary disc are shut out from the vast majority of community creations unless they go out and buy Reach
This is the real anniversary gift, a way to block off the awful grey maps!! Thank you 343!!!

Just playing through PoA on Legendary just now. 10 years of playing Halo and that's the first time I died to the random fire that an enemy sometimes gives out when they die. Guess that's what happens when you get trapped in a corner with an Elite going berserk and you only have 1 bar of health. Excuse me whilst I go and slaughter Grunts to regain my precious ego.

The Assault Rifle seems much more effective than the PAL version. Same with the Pistol which was already insane!

The sound and music is just fantastic.

darthbob

Popeck said:
Does someone know where to find the terminal in 343 Guilty Spark? That's the last one I'm missing. :(

If anyone does know, please just PM it around, or post with Spoiler tags for Terminals and Skull locations.

Some of us like to explore. :)

Also, has anyone's Amazon US order shipped or are they adhering to street date?

Karl2177

As much as I would love to get it early, there's something about launch events and donging on bks at the tourneys that's incredibly fun.

Popeck said:
Does someone know where to find the terminal in 343 Guilty Spark? That's the last one I'm missing. :(
If I had to hazard a guess (and I'll put this in spoiler tags in the off chance that I'm right):
It's in one of the following places:
1. In the fog area before you enter the Forerunner structure.
2. Inside one of the rooms that are off to the side in the Forerunner structure.
3. In the outlying area in the fog where you meet 343 Guilty Spark for the first time.

darthbob said:
If anyone does know, please just PM it around, or post with Spoiler tags for Terminals and Skull locations.

Some of us like to explore. :)

Also, has anyone's Amazon US order shipped or are they adhering to street date?
Amazon Germany never breaks the street date, except there is a national holiday before the streetdate. I think it is the case for Amazon US, too. :)

MrBig

Blueblur1 said:
Well there are costs associated with an extra disc, and the extra content. It probably would have been $60 like ODST instead of the $40.
If you're just after the maps they're $15. ~$2 a map. The other map packs are ~$3 a map.

darthbob

Hypertrooper said:
Amazon Germany never breaks the street date, except there is a national holiday before the streetdate. I think it is the case for Amazon US, too. :)

We had Veteran's/Remembrance/Armistice Day yesterday, the 11th. If it were to have fallen on a Monday, Amazon US may have sent out copies early.

Oh well, I have Monday and Tuesday off from work, and then a 4x10 shift Wednesday to Saturday.

:'(

Just found my first skull: Boom!

Hint. DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO FIND IT BY YOURSELF:

This skull is not a natural formation

10 years later, and no halo game and indeed no other FPS for me has replicated the enemy ai aswell as this one. The covenant, specifically the elites are just plain fun to fight!

Also reminder customs, if anyone is interested is at 10pm BST!

MrBig

PsychoRaven said:
Yes there is. I won't spoil where it is though. I think it's actually a pretty devious spot. I know I never would think to look there.
If it were floating in the middle of the Halo ring it would have been the trickiest unlock ever put in a game, and would actually be one of my favorite things ever

ElRenoRaven

MrBig said:
If it were floating in the middle of the Halo ring it would have been the trickiest unlock ever put in a game, and would actually be one of my favorite things ever

How would you even get to the Halo ring? I know in the original you could get out of the POA but even then I don't think you could get to the Halo Ring. lol

MrBig

PsychoRaven said:
How would you even get to the Halo ring? I know in the original you could get out of the POA but even then I don't think you could get to the Halo Ring. lol
Oh yes you can. It is quite a monster to do though

ElRenoRaven

MrBig said:
Oh yes you can. It is quite a monster to do though

Wow. Color me impressed then. Sadly though it won't happen. They've already said that they're not one way trips and don't require glitching to get to. I have to say I'm ok with that too though cause I suck at tricking and glitching to get to places I shouldn't.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
malfcn said:
Had same problems with ICO/Shadow. There is a button that says Pre-order somewhere. Look there! :)
Ahh, that's it. Thanks a lot!

Letters said:
Firefight location thing is so weird. Before they revealed it, I thougth they were referring to that early part of the level where you meet Johnson and then defend against a bunch of waves of covenant, and not the cliff edge area that enemies are already occupying and you attack to save some marines near the end of the level. After the reveal they keep talking about it in interviews as the iconic and original campaign firefight location and it makes me go wtf.

you know don't have to do that cliff part last right? instead of going to the rock filled area you can go to the cliff side first, if you do you'll battle off a couple of waves like firefight. then the end of the level will be switched to the rocky area (or the building on the hill).

i always thought that level was cool because it changed depending on which place you went to first.

that first part would make more sense (and has more space for a warthog) but i like the location they chose.

feel

dangerbyrnes said:
you know don't have to do that cliff part last right? instead of going to the rock filled area you can go to the cliff side first, if you do you'll battle off a couple of waves like firefight. then the end of the level will be switched to the rocky area (or the building on the hill).

i always thought that level was cool because it changed depending on which place you went to first.

that first part would make more sense (and has more space for a warthog) but i like the location they chose.
Cliff one was usually my first stop actually. Don't remember many incoming waves on that one but there probably are one or two.

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
Cliff one was usually my first stop actually.

Cliff has always been my last stop. I've just always played it in a certain order. Totally forgot it's whichever you want to do first. So I guess he is technically right then if he played it always going there first. lol

That just shows you how differently people can play the same game and how we're all creatures of habit too.

feel

I think most people just have the order in which they experienced it for the first time back then ingrained into their brains as the proper one hehe

mine was cliff edge -> that shadowy hill with structure -> rock formation for the firefight finish

but I've tried all the rest of the weirdo orders

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just canceled my pre-order, i feel dirty. i'm only truly excited about the maps and since they are releasing day one with the game as DLC and i got a load of points (thanks again GAF), so i cant justify the full purchase.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I always get lost in the multi-path part in Halo, haha. I only play CE once every 2 - 3 years, and my memory on which way to go is always fuzzy. I usually end up doing the rock slide last, it seems.

darthbob

Letters said:
I think most people just have the order in which they experienced it for the first time back then ingrained into their brains as the proper one hehe

mine was cliff edge -> that shadowy hill with structure -> rock formation for the firefight finish

but I've tried all the rest of the weirdo orders

Mine was Shadow Hill, Rock Formation, Cliff.

Just seeing the Pelican evac from the Cliff was cool.

those are the official names now

Top Bottom