• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

ElRenoRaven

darthbob said:
Mine was Shadow Hill, Rock Formation, Cliff.

Just seeing the Pelican evac from the Cliff was cool.

those are the official names now

For me it was always rock formation, the hill area, then cliff edge last.

Oh man, those red Elites are a bitch. I did the level without using a Warthog, so I couldn't make use of the firepower, or paste the bastards with it. Do How Pedestrian on an easier settings unless you're a masochist.

T&R time.

Oh and the game still looks amazing.

Letters said:
Cliff one was usually my first stop actually. Don't remember many incoming waves on that one but there probably are one or two.

i figured you knew about that. now that i think about it there really weren't any waves. maybe 2 or so. but that's it.

anyway, its too bad the closest we've had to a level like halo is winter contingency. i really want more levels like halo in Halo 4.

darthbob said:
Mine was Shadow Hill, Rock Formation, Cliff.

Just seeing the Pelican evac from the Cliff was cool.

those are the official names now
Yeah I always saw Cliff as my last stop because it's easier/cooler/makes more sense for the pelican to lift off from there.

omg.kittens said:
I always get lost in the multi-path part in Halo, haha. I only play CE once every 2 - 3 years, and my memory on which way to go is always fuzzy. I usually end up doing the rock slide last, it seems.

Happens to me too. I never know if I already took one route or not.

And I always finish with the cliffside now I think of it.

darthbob

Can anyone confirm if in CEA that at the Cliff area, you can ride up the hill in a Warthog?

I think you guys know the spot I'm talking about.

daedalius

Striker said:
Hemorrhage would at least make sense in the playlist, and at the same time, is not a bad map despite what those in HaloGAF say. Sure it isn't Coag, but it's provides a good setting for a large, vehicle based 2-flag map. Without AA's, it would work marvelously. No Active-Camo in the base with Shotgun, but instead placed in the red cave or the blue team rocks. No random jet-packers trying to get out of the map. And so forth.

Maybe 343 will add it in eventually, surely wouldn't hurt.

I have to agree, I think these changes would make Hemorrhage much more tolerable. Jetpacking snipers/camo snipers are just rage inducing.

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
The terminal is easy to find imo. I found the skull on the 2nd mission. I think you'll facepalm yourself, if you locate the skull on Halo. :)
I operate under the assumption that I'll miss them all and use a guide, despite my attempts to find them.

I examined every surface of every Forerunner structure, some twice over. Did grenade jumps and positioned the Warthog to climb to places I couldn't reach. I assumed at the end, it would be in a obvious place, probably one I looked at.

In Halo 3 I found two terminals and zero skulls on my own; I had to use guides for the rest. This will probably be the same. I was discouraged enough that I'm not going to really try to find the rest. It was a lot of time to sink into something and come up dry. I'm playing Skyrim, which scratches my exploration itch more thoroughly.

I did, however, finds all of Sadie's Story pieces on my own. But those drew attention to themselves more loudly.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Man... I really like it :) like the new graphics engine, too! Definitely a big step up it is incredibly addicting pressing the back button all over the place

And a warning to halo lovers: the classic engine isn't pixel perfect... The image is too over contrasted or there's some sort of color messups going on... Also if my mind isn't tricking me, I think the pelican that drops the first warthog is using a completely different texture than what was used in the original game (looks far too rough) that's at least where I stopped playing...

I'll have to pop in the original halo to be sure about the pelican... Because it looked way off to me than what I remember

darthbob

GhaleonEB said:
I operate under the assumption that I'll miss them all and use a guide, despite my attempts to find them.

I examined every surface of every Forerunner structure, some twice over. Did grenade jumps and positioned the Warthog to climb to places I couldn't reach. I assumed at the end, it would be in a obvious place, probably one I looked at.

In Halo 3 I found two terminals and zero skulls on my own; I had to use guides for the rest. This will probably be the same. I was discouraged enough that I'm not going to really try to find the rest. It was a lot of time to sink into something and come up dry. I'm playing Skyrim, which scratches my exploration itch more thoroughly.

I did, however, finds all of Sadie's Story pieces on my own. But those drew attention to themselves more loudly.

Hint for Installation 04:
This cave is not a natural formation.

GhaleonEB

darthbob said:
Hint for Installation 04:
This cave is not a natural formation.
Spent 20 minutes in there. Walked a circle around every structure examining the surfaces, looked at every wall, strafing across them, climbed up to the high edges with the Warthog's help, did lots of scanning from up on high. On both sides. Nada.

Like I said, I figured it was somewhere I'd checked, but for some reason I have a hard time finding stuff like this in Halo games. Which is why I won't spent much time doing so going forward. :p

darthbob

GhaleonEB said:
Spent 20 minutes in there. Walked a circle around every structure examining the surfaces, looked at every wall, strafing across them, climbed up to the high edges with the Warthog's help, did lots of scanning from up on high. On both sides. Nada.

Like I said, I figured it was somewhere I'd checked, but for some reason I have a hard time finding stuff like this in Halo games. Which is why I won't spent much time doing so going forward. :p

The area where you make the jump with the Warthog, and then enter the lightbridge room, it looks like, from the IGN video, that it's in there. Again, I don't have the game, but a spoilery video indicated it's in that area.

Progressing nicely through T&R. Under Cover of Night remix is godly.

Had a couple of places where my shots were blocked by invisible geometry which was a bit of a pain. I'm not noticing any problems between the new geometry and H1 collision map for the most part, it's just when you try and snipe from a narrow angle just out of cover or something.

One thing I think 343i have been successful at it making the maps look new all over again. I've played CE so much that I can navigate the levels in my sleep. But with the new lighting and textures there are times where I've actually forgotten where to go because I don't immediately recognise where I am.

darthbob said:
The area where you make the jump with the Warthog, and then enter the lightbridge room, it looks like, from the IGN video, that it's in there. Again, I don't have the game, but a spoilery video indicated it's in that area.
You located it nearly right. If you drive the ramp down(before the Warthog jump), there should be a small corridor with a blinky console. It is before the lightbridge. Normally I would overlook it too, because I never drive the ramp down.

I'm kind of disappointed with the location of the skulls.
I hoped that we would find them at location that were only reachable with a glitch or a specific jump. Otherwise I only found the skull from Halo and The Silent Cartographer.

And Ghal I give you a hint for the skull:
Did you check the Rocket Launcher location? =)

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Hypertrooper said:
I hoped that we would find them at location that were only reachable with a glitch or a specific jump. Otherwise I only found the skull from Halo and The Silent Cartographer.

What if I told you there was
more than one skull on The Silent Cartographer?

:)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hypertrooper said:
You located it nearly right. If you drive the ramp down(before the Warthog jump), there should be a small corridor with a blinky console. It is before the lightbridge. Normally I would overlook it too, because I never drive the ramp down.

And Ghal I give you a hint for the skull:
Did you check the Rocket Launcher location? =)

True story: I did not know it was there. And I went to look for a rocket launcher, only to be trolled by Shishka. And Yoric.

Nutter

HAHA, people trying to figure out the skull locations makes me smile. :)

The Terminal on 343 Guilty Spark, is at a very devious place. Most people will NEVER EVER look there. :p
Because they will be facing the wrong direction

S1kkZ

finished it, loved it.
cant wait to search the skulls and play some coop.

but 343: please fix the awful texture pop-in in the last level.

Nutter said:
HAHA, people trying to figure out the skull locations makes me smile. :)

The Terminal on 343 Guilty Spark, is at a very devious place. Most people will NEVER EVER look there. :p
Because they will be facing the wrong direction
I saw the spoiler, before you put spoiler tags. I'm angry, I'm going to send you hate messages over Facebook... :p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
S1kkZ said:
finished it, loved it.
cant wait to search the skulls and play some coop.

but 343: please fix the awful texture pop-in in the last level.

That's a common problem with the Unreal Engine

trolling is too much fun

Flipyap

Dax01 said:
Speaking of Gametrailer's retrospective, part 4 is up:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/index-4-halo-retrospective/723220

Summary of the entire Halo storyline. It's the longest one so far I think. From what I've watched so far (3 minutes), they haven't gotten anything wrong, except I think at one point the guy says United States Space Command.
Honest mistake... or a hint at Republican Space Rangers becoming canon?!

VmVBU.jpg

Tashi

Hey David or Frank I just got the new maps and I was wondering if I'm allowed to stream them? I figured HaloGAF would appreciate watching my stream while I romped through them.

Ubersnug

Hey,

For those who have received it, have you tried live co-op yet?

Me and my buddy have been playing it tonight and the lag and slow down has been horrendous.Controller lag, game pausing for up to 2 seconds as the level streams.

I have an 8mb connection and my buddy has a 10meg connection.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Ken

Ubersnug said:
Me and my buddy have been playing it tonight and the lag and slow down has been horrendous.Controller lag, game pausing for up to 2 seconds as the level streams.

That doesn't sound good.

Nick_GTL said:
Anyone else wish they released a collectors edition?

I'm glad they didn't since I'm picking three other games up on the same day.

S1kkZ

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
Better or worse than Halo 2?
hard to say, its been 3 years since i played halo 2. but its really bad, textures take up to 5 seconds until they are fully loaded. its only in certain areas but its really sticks out.

Ubersnug

Jesus!

Just started the second level 'Halo' and it's almost like we are in two different games. I saw my buddy just standing next to the drop pod and I asked him what he was doing, he said that he was already across the bridge, but on my game he was just standing doing nothing. He then asked me the same thing saying I was running against the wall also across the bridge, but I was no where near his location. Next thing the other 'chief' in my game then started running about shooting randomly and fell off the side of the cliff. According to him he was shooting at some banshees on the other side!!!

Also, had occasions where my controls would just freeze up for a good 5/6 seconds, preventing me from doing anything while the game plays on without me.

I honestly haven't seen network performances this bad in years.

For the record, I have an 8mb connection with an open nat and I'm wired to my router. My buddy has a 10 meg connection, also on an open nat and is physically connected too.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Ubersnug said:
For the record, I have an 8mb connection with an open mat and I'm wired to my router. My buddy has a 10 meg connection, also on an open nay and is physically connected too.

How far are way do you live from your friend?

Last reminder anniversary customs in 30 mins! Just send me a message over xbl (gt same as username), will be doing mostly objective!

S1kkZ said:
hard to say, its been 3 years since i played halo 2. but its really bad, textures take up to 5 seconds until they are fully loaded. its only in certain areas but its really sticks out.
Hmm, hopefully it's not anything than a patch can't fix. Did you install the game to your HDD to see if that helps?

Tashi

ElzarTheBam said:
Last reminder anniversary customs in 30 mins! Just send me a message over xbl (gt same as username), will be doing mostly objective!

I have to go in a half hour but I should be back within 30 minutes or so. I'll message you when I get back or whoever wants to play customs.

edit: Getting on right now for a couple matches

darthbob

Ubersnug said:
Jesus!

Just started the second level 'Halo' and it's almost like we are in two different games. I saw my buddy just standing next to the drop pod and I asked him what he was doing, he said that he was already across the bridge, but on my game he was just standing doing nothing. He then asked me the same thing saying I was running against the wall also across the bridge, but I was no where near his location. Next thing the other 'chief' in my game then started running about shooting randomly and fell off the side of the cliff. According to him he was shooting at some banshees on the other side!!!

Also, had occasions where my controls would just freeze up for a good 5/6 seconds, preventing me from doing anything while the game plays on without me.

I honestly haven't seen network performances this bad in years.

For the record, I have an 8mb connection with an open mat and I'm wired to my router. My buddy has a 10 meg connection, also on an open nay and is physically connected too.

help us based frank

S1kkZ

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
Hmm, hopefully it's not anything than a patch can't fix. Did you install the game to your HDD to see if that helps?
its installed (250 gb slim, new beta dashboard).

GrizzNKev

Banned
Can someone help me locate the terminal on Silent Cartographer? I want to find them all in order so I don't feel like progressing through the game without having seen the video.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it.

Dunno if someone can help me, but if anyone has the Halo 1 of xbox can it take a picture with it and a paper written with the words game 40???

It´s for a contest here in chile to win halo anniversary and since I don´t have it It´s my last resource....

Please help!! :3

wwm0nkey

S1kkZ said:
its installed (250 gb slim, new beta dashboard).
Have you tried it without the install? Installing games seems to be causing issues for newer games like Battlefield 3 and Skyrim when it comes to textures.

S1kkZ

wwm0nkey said:
Have you tried it without the install? Installing games seems to be causing issues for newer games like Battlefield 3 and Skyrim when it comes to textures.
i thought the skyrim issues werent linked to the install?

Top Bottom