• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

Zeal

Banned
Waaayyy too freakin' early for any Halo 4 alpha/beta talk. I assume Halo 4 will launch, November 2012 (as Halos always do), so I expect some new info and footage before the year's end, then the build up to a beta later next year.

Zeal said:
Waaayyy too freakin' early for any Halo 4 alpha/beta talk. I assume Halo 4 will launch, November 2012 (as Halos always do), so I expect some new info and footage before the year's end, then the build up to a beta later next year.

Halo 3, ODST and Reach all came out in September...

Halo 1, 2 and CEA were November and Halo Wars was February.

I'd expect Halo 4 September next year, they also moved Gears this year to September. That is when MS like to launch their big game.

wwm0nkey

Zeal said:
VGAs are next month

Popeck

Zeal said:

As steverulez already said, the most recent Halo games have launched in September. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Halo 4 in November, if they really want to take all the time they have to finish and polish it.

Zeal said:
So Halo 3, Wars, ODST and Reach aren't Halo games?

Tha Robbertster said:
So, without spoiling the terminals, do we learn some things about Halo 4 from them?
Did you ever read/watch an Interview with Frankie about Halo 4?

“We made a decision about two years ago, that every story we made from now is going to matter and have some connections and have some real resonance in the Universe,” he said in a recent interview. ”So if you’re watching one of the terminals in Halo Anniversary or you’re reading one of the books or one of the comics in the next few years, they’re all going to have a meaning. That doesn’t mean you have to buy a novel to understand the game – in fact we want to make absolutely sure that all of the stories are self contained; that they are fun to understand with or without the deeper resonances and connections – but if you invest in the Universe, you will get a pretty good return on that investment.”
Source

All I can say, if you read Cryptum in advance, you'll understand more and the wait for Primordium will be a torture. Still 2 Terminals to go. I especially like that you can pause the terminals in every moment. I think fiction fans going to love this feature, when they analyze the whole stuff.

Popeck said:
As steverulez already said, the most recent Halo games have launched in September. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Halo 4 in November, if they really want to take all the time they have to finish and polish it.

Im not saying its definitely going to happen but if rumours are true that the next Xbox IS next year, that will be mid-late November and i'd expect Halo 4 out in September (lets ignore the possibility of Halo 4 being on the next Xbox exclusively or doing a Zelda TP and being on both).

S1kkZ

so i just found out that the anniversary ost wont be available as a download (i always buy from sumthingdigital). is that true? i dont want to import the ost, too expensive and it takes too long.

Hypertrooper said:
Did you ever read/watch an Interview with Frankie about Halo 4?

“We made a decision about two years ago, that every story we made from now is going to matter and have some connections and have some real resonance in the Universe,” he said in a recent interview. ”So if you’re watching one of the terminals in Halo Anniversary or you’re reading one of the books or one of the comics in the next few years, they’re all going to have a meaning. That doesn’t mean you have to buy a novel to understand the game – in fact we want to make absolutely sure that all of the stories are self contained; that they are fun to understand with or without the deeper resonances and connections – but if you invest in the Universe, you will get a pretty good return on that investment.”
Source

All I can say, if you read Cryptum in advance, you'll understand more and the wait for Primordium will be a torture. Still 2 Terminals to go. I especially like that you can pause the terminals in every moment. I think fiction fans going to love this feature, when they analyze the whole stuff.

Didn't read that one yet. Really awesome that 343 is doing that, makes me even more hyped for the terminals.

Tha Robbertster said:
Didn't read that one yet. Really awesome that 343 is doing that, makes me even more hyped for the terminals.
He said that a lot of times: At the E3, at the Halo 4 panel etc. No excuses. :p

S1kkZ said:
so i just found out that the anniversary ost wont be available as a download (i always buy from sumthingdigital). is that true? i dont want to import the ost, too expensive and it takes too long.
It will be available as download. Just on November 15. Too expensive? The soundtrack just cost 16€ like a normal CD. And you have just a 10 day delay.

"Cortana, all I need to know is did we lose them?"
"I think we both know the answer to that."

Just finished my campaign run of Reach.

Playing Reach again, I wish I could get into the story. I so very much want to, but the contradictions surrounding the game and the novel prevent me from doing so. The Autumn can't be on the ground in the invasion, it's suppose to be in space. It was leaving Reach for a run around the block when the Covenant arrived at Reach. At the that point, it turned around to help repel the invasion. I wouldn't mind the contradictions if the story in the game was better than the story in the book, but it's not. :/

There's still one item of gameplay that I think Halo: CE has done better than any of its successors: no long-range weapons for your enemies.

Halo's all about choice, and giving long-range weapons to the Covenant, many times, limits the number of ways you can approach an encounter. If I want to go after Covenant for a specific encounter with a plasma pistol, an AR, a plasma rifle, a spiker, etc, and some have long-range weapons, I can't because I'll get mowed down by time I get within my weapon's effective range.

The Halo: Reach story has more problems than its incompatibility with the books.

Although fuuuck I wish I had the time to blast through it again quickly. Envy u, Dax.

Shake Appeal said:
The Halo: Reach story has more problems than its incompatibility with the books.

Although fuuuck I wish I had the time to blast through it again quickly. Envy u, Dax.
Yes it does. But that's the biggest thing for me.

And I was lucky I was able to fit in a campaign-run of Reach. I don't think I'll be able to finish a campaign-run of Anniversary until the weekend unless I decide to stay up all Tuesday nigh.

It pains me to say it, but I'll be cancelling my pre-order. I'm still nowhere near done with Skyrim, so I'm just going to wait a while before picking this up. Can't justify spending money on a game I'm not going to play, even if it's €40.

Too bad I won't be getting that Grunt Funeral skull then... :(

S1kkZ

Dax01 said:
"Cortana, all I need to know is did we lose them?"
"I think we both know the answer to that."

Just finished my campaign run of Reach.

Playing Reach again, I wish I could get into the story. I so very much want to, but the contradictions surrounding the game and the novel prevent me from doing so. The Autumn can't be on the ground in the invasion, it's suppose to be in space. It was leaving Reach for a run around the block when the Covenant arrived at Reach. At the that point, it turned around to help repel the invasion. I wouldn't mind the contradictions if the story in the game was better than the story in the book, but it's not. :/
i still dont get why bungie did this. did they just dont care or what?

Blue Ninja said:
It pains me to say it, but I'll be cancelling my pre-order. I'm still nowhere near done with Skyrim, so I'm just going to wait a while before picking this up. Can't justify spending money on a game I'm not going to play, even if it's €40.

Too bad I won't be getting that Grunt Funeral skull then... :(
*unfollows Blue Ninja from twitter*

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Nora Kisaragi said:
A new halo anniversary video was uploaded to the xbox dashboard recently, here is that video. In the second half of the interview, the main menu is scene a multitude of times in the video.

Here is the clearest the menu gets:
0JleR.png

You can see four options and the animation the title screen does for a few brief seconds.

This is interesting because a month ago, this popped up on the internet. Microsoft took no action on it, leading some to believe it was fake---until now. The four options and the menu UI and the animation itself directly match up with what is seen on the video, so are we dealing with a breach of an NDA here?

Actually, this is also quite surprising since Microsoft has went on record saying there were no plans for a Halo 4 beta on Halo Anniversary. But the menu says Halo 4 ALPHA, so could this be a case of them omitting the truth, as it were?

Not sure if this merits its own thread, so here it is.

all I see, is an Atreides I want to kill!

Wasn't there going to a TV ad that would air just before release??

Fake edit: Went and looked at the gametrailers video that rung a bell, there should be a commercial that'll premiere tonight

Wow. Just wow. WOW! Okay. I guess everyone is going to say that if they see The Maw's terminal. You know. This terminal unveils much. It delivers you the information directly into your face. Seriously.

ElRenoRaven

S1kkZ said:
i still dont get why bungie did this. did they just dont care or what?

Bungie's stance was and I feel rightfully so myself that games come first in terms of canon. Also Bungie has never been afraid to retcon stuff for the sake of gameplay and story. That's one thing I've always liked about them and that doesn't bother me. Hell I think it was just wicked to see the Autumn there in the distance and then having to get to it with the cargo was just awesome. Then seeing keyes and seeing it take off was just amazing. It really left you with a sense you accomplished something and meant something to the overall story. Because think about it. Without Noble Team's sacrifices Master Chief and co may have never made it to the Halo.

So are there some recons sure but I really think the retcons in Reach are really blown out of proportion. The only one that really could bother me is the date differences. Course I'll be honest I've honestly never paid attention to those playing it. I really didn't even notice it until someone pointed it out. I had honestly thought it was over the course of a day or two's time. So that one is easy to overlook for me.

S1kkZ

Hypertrooper said:
Wow. Just wow. WOW! Okay. I guess everyone is going to say that if they see The Maw's terminal. You know. This terminal unveils much. It delivers you the information directly into your face. Seriously.
whats so special about it?

Homeboyd

Gabotron ES said:
We're the cool guys now, don't forget it Jason.
Guess we're doing it the right way... Though it feels so wrong.

How is everyone getting it early? Seems like literally everyone else has it by now. FU GAMESTOP

Sorry I bailed on customs last night. I was having network issues. Then I got caught up with playing league of legends and skyrim.

I am waiting in the border lineup right now, about to pick up anniversary. Can't wait :)

As much as I'm eager to play I04, I'm worried about the vehicle combat on such a narrow map. The plasma pistol lock-on in Firefight and Campaign is too accurate. Really knocks the wind out of your sails.

feel

Dax01 said:
As much as I'm eager to play I04, I'm worried about the vehicle combat on such a narrow map. The plasma pistol lock-on in Firefight and Campaign is too accurate. Really knocks the wind out of your sails.
Can't wait to get pushed off that cliff by enemy projectiles.

Speaking of that area, it's kinda crazy that that location is on the same disc with 3 different visuals.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hypertrooper said:
Oh shit, hype overload. I'm tempted to read the spoiler now... but Tuesday is close enough. Can't wait to find out.

Puddles

Banned
So does the multiplayer have the Halo 1 weapon set and balance? I.e. scoped pistol that's worth a shit, shotgun that's worth a shit, grenades with a blast radius that's worth a shit, etc?

S1kkZ

omg.kittens said:
Oh shit, hype overload. I'm tempted to read the spoiler now... but Tuesday is close enough. Can't wait to find out.
scale your hype down a little bit. its a cool terminal but its not that awesome.

wwm0nkey

Puddles said:
So does the multiplayer have the Halo 1 weapon set and balance? I.e. scoped pistol that's worth a shit, shotgun that's worth a shit, grenades with a blast radius that's worth a shit, etc?
MP is Reach MP but there are a few changes, the classic Halo 1 pistol is returning and with some adjustments grenades can be tweaked so they are not nukes anymore.

Puddles

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
MP is Reach MP but there are a few changes, the classic Halo 1 pistol is returning and with some adjustments grenades can be tweaked so they are not nukes anymore.

Foiled again. :(

All I've ever really wanted from Bungie these last few years was Halo 1 multiplayer online. Didn't even have to be HD.

Puddles said:
Reach grenades have a small blast radius? Haha.

Top Bottom