• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Overdoziz

Banned
Yeah #2 on Twitch is great were it not for the fact that
1) Most other games on that list peak at a different time of day
2) None of the other games currently have a tournament going on
3) It's a pre-launch stream, those are always more popular
4) Pretty sure previous Halo tournaments had more viewers

but hey we back
looking forward to the one mlg halo 2 tournament before they move on to the next thing

The Flash

Banned
Waking up a few hours ago and now catching up to HaloGaf was a fun rollercoaster. Man, HaloGaf can be very Bipolar at times. Its why I love it here so much though.

image.php

Sprint isn't something that should be in the game. I think a good way to gauge how well a mechanic will work in Halo is by looking at how it complements existing mechanics and classic Halo maps. Sprint isn't something that does this, and maps that would otherwise be great would have to be stretched to accommodate it. Thrusters on the other hand don't break anything and more importantly, feel fun to use. ADS seems like it'll be a crutch more than anything else. Sprint was already a crutch, and now it seems like it's going to be nerfed even more. I don't want features that punish you for using them. I want abilities that are fun and useful without drastically changing the Halo formula.

Great post man.

To expand, Sprint interacts with running but only in the forward direction. It can be carried over into jumping but only if you jump while already sprinting. You can't activate Sprint once you have jumped.

Thruster interacts with running in every direction.
Thruster interacts with crouch walking in every direction.
Thruster can be used while airborne and go in any direction so it interacts with jumping too.

See how limited of a movement ability Sprint is compared to Thruster?

danwarb

I just don't understand why they can't simply up the movement speed and get rid of sprint.

You get the benefits of faster gameplay and you can still shoot while moving.

It looks to me like they have upped the movement speed, from those blurry little clips.

but hey we back
looking forward to the one mlg halo 2 tournament before they move on to the next thing

You're still getting it tho

Warlord assault, pro teams, MCC LAN tourney... I think I need to change my pants. Lockdown slayer turtling isn't my thing but I'm very interested in seeing them play assault.

It's great to see Walshy, T2, Roy, Formal etc in the steam plus 45K viewing. Damn.

KiboSenshi

Neo Member
Intense final match, great last thirty seconds. Loved listening to the teams communicate and yell over eachother. Holy shit, so excited for MCC

Random17

The tournament is fantastic so far, I have no major complaints.

Guys: Halo 5; thumbs up or thumbs down from what we have seen so far relative to Halo 2 Anniversary?

jem0208

Can anyone update me on what happened in the last few hours? I was busy and today has been a rollercoaster for Halo.

I'm still stunned we went from 40 pages of Halo is dead to everything seemingly back to normal.

I've seen the thread but I fear that I have missed some good posts on what we have seen.

Basically:

The Salting Begins

- Halo 5 leaked footage shows sprint. The salt begins even though sprint was already pretty much confirmed. Average day at HaloGAF.

The Great Salt Of 2014 is upon us (AKA: shit hits the fan

- Another clip leaks, this one shows what appears to be a BR duel with ADS. Salt begins to flow from every orifice. Threats of Xbox destruction are made. Halo as a series is pronounced dead by many.

- Some claim that the footage isn't actually ADS and is only a visual redesign of zoom. They are ignored and the salt continues to flow.

- The great salt mines of HaloGAF are working overtime for about 2 hours. It quickly overflows into Gamingside.

- Chaos is upon us and the end is nigh.

The Reclamation of Halo

- 3 more clips leak showing ADSless gameplay. Thrusters are confirmed, grenade launchers assumed and denied. Some positivity returns yet is still hugely outweighed by salt.

- The new clips are followed by Josh Holmes' tweets confirming those who fought the salt were right. ADS has no effect on gameplay. It is only a visual redesign.

- Confusion follows, why change? What about descope? Is the mortal enemy flinch still alive?

- A second tweet from Josh confirms descope is actually back. Rejoices are made. #weback is returned from the grave.

HaloGAF Returns to Normality, yet there is one more surprise

- People continue to complain about sprint and detail their roller-coaster ride of emotions. Stragglers are informed of what just hit the high walls of HaloGAF.

- The surprise hits us and based Stinkles returns, quickly followed by questions of "Why sprint? Why?"

- Stinkles answers is typical cryptic form and Don't Believe His lies memes are spread.

- The salting and slrping return in typical HaloGAF fashion.

And so continues the day of the salt thus far.

TLDR: Is the Halo 5 beta leak info good or bad? I woke up to Mt Doom and now apparently things are better now?! HaloGaf is so bipolar I cannot tell.

On the balance... not sure. I don't like sprint or ADS, even just cosmetic ADS (though it's not the end of the world). On the other hand, the actual gameplay looks pretty damn good, very quick, and thruster packs in first person are nice.

EDIT: Also, descope woo! Will wait and see for more footage, but on the whole, cautiously optimistic.

VinFTW

but hey we back

You can't compare games like that... lol

especially considering you can play alot of those games for free, cheap, or on a lot more devices than an Xbox One (or 360) + a $60 game.

MouldyK

Halo: The Master Chief Collection has 402 achievements. No, you didn’t read that wrong, it really is four-hundred-two achievements. That heavy of a number can lead to a few problems, such as excessive achievement hunting and hand-controller fatigue. Be careful out there while getting all 4000G. .

Mix, there are more Achievements now!

jem0208

if you dont think the way Zooming is presented to the idiots at large wont change their play style, thereby affecting the game. then you are far more misguided than i thought.

and since some of you seem to be new... SLRP is the opposite of SALT
I wasn't discussing the implications of the change.

I was only describing what happened. Albeit in a very embellished way.

As for its effect. I don't think it'll be a drastic one. It'll only change the very low level play as well. Old Halo players aren't suddenly going to change how they play because the way zoom looks has changed.

Post of the Year.
Aha, thanks. Was surprisingly difficult to do on my phone.

Top Bottom