• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

Halo CE is giving me so much more trouble on legendary than I remember.

Got the first two levels done... But they took far too long. Not at all looking forward to Halo 2

Halo CE is giving me so much more trouble on legendary than I remember.

Got the first two levels done... But they took far too long. Not at all looking forward to Halo 2

plEzvMH.jpg

Omni

Oh how fucking stupid. Managed to get in a game of Halo 2 Anniversary. But the game only has 6 people. So logically you'd think it would make two teams of 3, right?

No. 2v4 because who even knows. Everything about the matchmaking part of this game is so frustrating.

I never really had a problem with these guys. I mean they're a pain. But their spawns are static throughout, right? Brutes are far worse

Ramirez

Brutes harder than jackal snipers?! Brutes are so easy to kill compared to Elites...

I'm more than halfway through Halo 3, it's so easy coming directly off CE/2.

Overdoziz

Banned
Brutes harder than jackal snipers?! Brutes are so easy to kill compared to Elites...

I'm more than halfway through Halo 3, it's so easy coming directly off CE/2.
Halo 3 had grown on me a lot over the years but playing Halo CE and Halo 2 Legendary right before Halo 3 Legendary made me realize how boring it is compared to the first two. Brutes aren't as interesting to fight as Elites, the Flood enemies fall apart if you sneeze on them and the overall gunplay is just not up to par compared to pretty much any of the other Halo games. It probably has the best encounters and vehicle gameplay but the moment to moment combat just isn't that great.

Nowise10

I was actually a huge fan of Halo 3 but playing Halo CE and Halo 2 Legendary right before Halo 3 Legendary made me realize how boring it is compared to the first two. Brutes aren't as interesting to fight as Elites, the Flood enemies fall apart if you sneeze on them and the overall gunplay is just not up to par compared to pretty much any of the other Halo games. It probably has the best encounters and vehicle gameplay but the moment to moment combat just isn't that great.

Halo 3 is the most fun out of all of them in my opinion. CE is the worst. I find it fun, but I'd usually rather choose Halo 2 or halo 3 missions over CE any day.

Halo 3 has that mix and choice of how you want to take on battles, and its pretty enjoyable. CE I find you basically need to do the same thing each time you play.

Overdoziz

Banned
Halo 2 Brutes are like 3 shots to the head to kill even on legendary. Really not that hard to deal with.
Halo 3 is the most fun out of all of them in my opinion. CE is the worst. I find it fun, but I'd usually rather choose Halo 2 or halo 3 missions over CE any day.

Halo 3 has that mix and choice of how you want to take on battles, and its pretty enjoyable. CE I find you basically need to do the same thing each time you play.
Halo CE definitely doesn't have the variety or flexibility of Halo 3, but again the core gunplay is the still the most fun in my opinion. Even running through the same grey corridor over and over again stays fun.

Random17

Halo 2 Brutes are like 3 shots to the head to kill even on legendary. Really not that hard to deal with.

This. Even the shitty Halo 2 Needler is useful against Brutes. (I actually quite like the fact that in Halo 4's Campaign the Needler is a power weapon. The weapon deserves some respect.)

Random17

Grab the 'hog and just drive past them. The best part of Halo 2 is that can skip most of the worst parts.

That's not just Halo 2; that's every game post CE because of the way the load zones work, as well as the ability to break out of the map more frequently.

Ramirez

Legendary in CE/2 is a lot of hiding and pussy fighting, Halo 3 at least lets you take a few shots so you can have actual firefights. I really love all of them though, they all have strengths and weaknesses.

Random17

Legendary in CE/2 is a lot of hiding and pussy fighting, Halo 3 at least lets you take a few shots so you can have actual firefights. I really love all of them though, they all have strengths and weaknesses.

ODST is good as well with Black Eye + Legendary as well; instead of blindly charging into enemies, avoiding firefights in New Mombasa is worth it.

That's how the game should have been, imo.

Omni

What the hell. I just released the Captain in the Truth and Reconciliation and watched the cutscene. Next thing I know, my team mates are shooting me. And I've got a checkpoint so I'm stuck

This is on legendary so I don't want to do it all again. Is there a way to make allies friendly again?

edit. Keyes is a piece of shit and is lobbing grenades at me

Akai__

I don't understand why they are still using that bad round system.

Why does it have to say the game mode for each round?

So, I had some friends over for a couple of days to run through co-op campaigns.

Some feedback:

+ H2A and H3 run really well in split-screen. HCEA was ok/good.
+ Games feel as they did, but 60fps is fantastic.
+ Everyone loved the Blur cinematics and the H2A campaign gameplay.
+ Playing from CE to Halo 2 makes you appreciate the BR more.

- Had issues joining the consoles' lobbies. Same as playing online.
- Game kicked us out of a game once, towards the end of T&R.
- Game didn't register co-op completion from Cairo through Metropolis.
- Arbiter missions still suck
- Library is still terrible​

What the hell. I just released the Captain in the Truth and Reconciliation and watched the cutscene. Next thing I know, my team mates are shooting me. And I've got a checkpoint so I'm stuck

This is on legendary so I don't want to do it all again. Is there a way to make allies friendly again?

edit. Keyes is a piece of shit and is lobbing grenades at me

Does CE do the thing where if you die quickly repeatedly after a checkpoint it'll jump back another checkpoint?

Random17

Does CE do the thing where if you die quickly repeatedly after a checkpoint it'll jump back another checkpoint?

Nope, that was introduced in Halo 2 IIRC.

I remember this because once Captain Keyes got killed and his mini-cutscene was playing when I got a checkpoint. Lost a Legendary run in TaR because of that.

The only other time I've seen an entire level's progress lost (without doing anything out of the ordinary) was in Monopoli's stream where his Mantis got stuck between two rocks on a checkpoint; if he jumped out he'd fall to his death.

#neverforget

jem0208

You mean when they swarm you like a wave of annoying plasma?
Yes.

I'm going through Gravemind atm on Heroic and holy shit are they annoying. They all spread out and rain death upon you. They also don't seem to have a headshot so they all take like 3 shots from a carbine to kill. So fucking annoying.
Halo 2 had maybe 3 Drones total.
Play through Gravemind and tell me they don't piss you off.

Overdoziz

Banned
Yes.

I'm going through Gravemind atm on Heroic and holy shit are they annoying. They all spread out and rain death upon you. They also don't seem to have a headshot so they all take like 3 shots from a carbine to kill. So fucking annoying.
There's one part that stands out a bit which is the the big empty chamber with some grav lifts that go horizontal but you can just snipe them from a distance there.

jem0208

There's one part that stands out a bit which is the the big empty chamber with some grav lifts that go horizontal but you can just snipe them from a distance there.
I'm playing through Gravemind right now and there are a bunch of moments with them. The worst is after you save the Marines and go back up the grav lift. When you get up a bunch fly into the room. In the next corridor you get ambushed by a swarm. Then when you clear that corridor and move up to the door another swarm flies through just as it opens up.

-Ryn

Banned
Yes.

Yeah they just love to spam PP. I feel bad for the janitor.

Debating to buy an xbone.Really liked halo 1 and 2 but afterwards stopped.

I didn't like Halo 3 when it was released on 360 but now it feels butter smooth with a higher frame rate and dedicated servers. I can't believe I'm saying this but I think H3 is better than H2A. I guess I'm a H3 kid now.

tootsi666

I didn't like Halo 3 when it was released on 360 but now it feels butter smooth with a higher frame rate and dedicated servers. I can't believe I'm saying this but I think H3 is better than H2A. I guess I'm a H3 kid now.
Halo 3 would be so good if every match was on dedis and aiming sensitivity acceleration was as good as it is in H2C/A.

-Ryn

Banned
Debating to buy an xbone.Really liked halo 1 and 2 but afterwards stopped.
Now's a good time to do it since Microsoft is doing the $350 deal. You could probably find other good offers online as well.
Once the MCC is fixed then it will be one of the best collections around so I would definitely recommend an Xbone. The beta is looking pretty sweet as well.

As far as other games are concerned the One does have a bunch of Indie titles lined up that are looking good and the AAA games aren't looking to shabby either.

Nirvana

Yes.

Most of the time on Legendary (or I guess Heroic if you're struggling lelscrub) it is best to back up and take cover from them, since they actually shit out damage because of their numbers. The tight corridor sections on Gravemind can be a pain. One thing to note is that in the section where the 3 Elites come out of the door in front of you (after you free the marines from the prison block) if you let the Elites win that section, you fight more Elites, but if the drones win, you get more drones. Good thing to keep in mind.

In the big open area where the Brutes and Elites are fighting near the end the best thing to do is just trigger the enemy spawns and then back up, let them fight, pick off the stragglers, rinse and repeat. All the drone parts in that level are fairly easy.

The worst drone part in the game is probably Delta Halo on Legendary, in the sniper area, but there are some easy ways to get into solid cover there which I discovered more recently which make the part much easier.

You're thinking of High Chairty, not Gravemind I'm pretty sure.

Welcome to the club where aiming requires skill..

A projectile based utility weapon, ie not a hitscan utility weapon, solves many aiming issues Halo currently has. You can't have the auto aim or bullet magnetism so high when players are always aiming in front of their target instead of directly at him. Leading shots is not just inherently more skillful, it also makes aiming crutches like auto aim or bullet magnetism much less viable.

AIMING SKILLGAP FTW!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
OS on top of the arch, 2 clip Rocket underneath it. Green bunker has a sniper, purple has a beam rifle. There's multiple ways to approach the base, I have some "steps" built into the rocks on the non ramp side to allow people to jump up to the top. I feel like it would play ok, but like I said, there's a few spots where I think I need to break up sight lines, but it's hard to know.

I was going for a mesh of Beaver Creek/Sanctuary, minus bases that can actually be "entered".

Never figured you as a Forger. The maps looks pretty good and looks well thought out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom