• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

So I've been banned for three months and, why in my spare time I didn't just type up all my thoughts to post when today came I don't know, but I reckon everything has been said up to this point.

I just don't understand how this product had any shot of being put out. What other industry can put out a defective product and not be held accountable in SOME way? I'm not asking for people to get laid off en masse, but there's been no real attempt to make things right except by promising patches (which, by the way, the latest patch prevented my game from even launching until today when it miraculously launched. surprise! still couldn't get in the same lobby with a friend).

I love the folks that work there the same as everyone else who has been lucky enough to meet/interact with them, but I couldn't be more disappointed with the 60 dollars that I wasted on an unfinished product.
BOOM.

Yup this.
But I wonder why we didn't see any of these issues on the builds being used before launch?
We did see issues? The whole having to reboot the build to after every match at conventions and (iirc) tourneys?

But obviously, and fairly, we would have all put it down to an in-progress, or even old build, we can't really take it as a sign that the released product would have these kinds of issues.

jem0208

Finally finished Halo 2!

Damn that game goes downhill fast. The last few levels are really, really bad compared to the rest.

On to Halo 3!

Ramirez

I think it's simple really, UFG should not have been chosen to make the UI, and MS wanted this out before black Friday, quality be damned.

Ein Bear

Finally finished Halo 2!

Damn that game goes downhill fast. The last few levels are really, really bad compared to the rest.

On to Halo 3!

I've always been insanely curious about the original plan for Halo 2, and how much work was scrapped.

I know they planned on having a couple more missions on Earth as the Chief (the original cliff-hanger ending was going to be the Ark opening I think?), but I'd love to know what shape those levels took. I often wonder if stages like Tsavo Highway were running in some form in Halo 2, or if they scrapped everything and started fresh when they began work on Halo 3.

IHaveIce

Banned
So I've been banned for three months and, why in my spare time I didn't just type up all my thoughts to post when today came I don't know, but I reckon everything has been said up to this point.

I just don't understand how this product had any shot of being put out. What other industry can put out a defective product and not be held accountable in SOME way? I'm not asking for people to get laid off en masse, but there's been no real attempt to make things right except by promising patches (which, by the way, the latest patch prevented my game from even launching until today when it miraculously launched. surprise! still couldn't get in the same lobby with a friend).

I love the folks that work there the same as everyone else who has been lucky enough to meet/interact with them, but I couldn't be more disappointed with the 60 dollars that I wasted on an unfinished product.
First of all let me say I'm glad to see you back.

And I couldn't agree more.

I honestly think I would have prefered a Halo 2 Anniversary standalone with:
-Remastered and Classic Campaign
-Classic Halo 2 MP
- The remastered MP with more maps, maybe even cut Forge

Instead of the collection if it meant we would have had a working product.
I think it's simple really, UFG should not have been chosen to make the UI, and MS wanted this out before black Friday, quality be damned.
Yep, we all can only hope that Halo 5 is not outsourced to hell for everything. I meant there are alot of talented folks at 343 and even in the inner MS studios there are others that could help.

But don't outsource MP, UI, Campaign and stuff into 3 or more companies.

Random17

Finally finished Halo 2!

On to Halo 3!

What?!!? The last few levels have some of the best music, dialogue, environments and encounters in the trilogy. Everything from the Masoleum, to the darkness of High Charity, to the final stretch where "the Hunters have come to our aid Arbiter! They will fight by our side!"

And Uprising. Can't forget that mission...

jem0208

I've always been insanely curious about the original plan for Halo 2, and how much work was scrapped.

I know they planned on having a couple more missions on Earth as the Chief (the original cliff-hanger ending was going to be the Ark opening I think?), but I'd love to know what shape those levels took. I often wonder if stages like Tsavo Highway were running in some form in Halo 2, or if they scrapped everything and started fresh when they began work on Halo 3.

I thought Halo 2 was originally meant to close off the storyline. I don't think it was ever meant to have a cliffhanger ending.

What?!!? The last few levels have some of the best music, dialogue, environments and encounters in the trilogy. Everything from the Masoleum, to the darkness of High Charity, to the final stretch where "the Hunters have come to our aid Arbiter! They will fight by our side!"

Ugh, from Sacred Icon onward I was skipping most encounters. I really just didn't want to play through them. Brutes and the flood in Halo 2 are just the most boring and frustrating enemies to fight, then there's also the fucking drones.

I spent most of the time in Uprising cloaking and running past the enemies. I enjoyed the parts of Gravemind which didn't involve Drones however I still found myself just attempting to skip many of the encounters.

The first half of Halo 2 is my favourite Halo campaign of them all. I honestly think Delta Halo is the greatest level in all the Halos, Outskirts (if you use the rooftops) is just awesome, I even really enjoy The Arbiter and The Oracle. Just something about Sacred Icon and onward makes me bored to death.

I'm so glad to be playing Halo 3. Being able to kill Grunts with one punch regardless of difficulty is just awesome.

-Classic Halo 2 MP

As much as it would have helped with getting a more finished product out to the public, i dont think we can ignore how many people were eqaually interested in playing halo 1 and 3 again. Ive been really entertained by having the option to vote between halo ce, halo 2, and halo 3 maps in team slayer. For as much as i gripe when halo 3 is picked over the other map options, switching between the 3 games is super refreshing and keeping the whole playlist really interesting. I love it.

jem0208

-Classic Halo 2 MP

I actually disagree. I'd rather have this semi-broken collection of games which should eventually be fixed than just H2A.

Even though it's broken I've still put 10s of hours into the game. If it was just H2A I would have already experienced the majority of the content. With this I've seen less than a quarter, and that's only singleplayer. I'm happy to wait to experience the other half of the game.

Halo had always had awesome UI since 2.

Why outsource one of the things Halo always did best?

I'm terrified to see a completely 343 built Halo game.

What's wrong with the UI in the MCC? It's actually very good IMO, seems to work most of the time as well. The only issue I have with it is that the maps are ordered in a list, which is problematic when you have over 100 of them.

Gotta disagree, even with H2a's enhancements the campaign absolutely falls apart once you reach high charity. A shame too, as the level design up to that point was immaculate, great sense of progression building up to a thrilling conclusion, but the final levels are reduced to boring hallway grinds. Maybe in some distant reality there is a version of halo 2 that wasn't rushed to completion, but that isn't our reality unfortunately; /

Random17

Gotta disagree, even with H2a's enhancements the campaign absolutely falls apart once you reach high charity. A shame too, as the level design up to that point was immaculate, great sense of progression building up to a thrilling conclusion, but the final levels are reduced to boring hallway grinds. Maybe in some distant reality there is a version of halo 2 that wasn't rushed to completion, but that isn't our reality unfortunately; /

Hallway grinds or not; there are a number of more open encounters that do help. But yeah, it is pretty linear at that point.

And I'm mostly talking about the mood. The combination of great dialogue, good art design, darkness and music while the Covenant + Flood are duking it out is still the best moment in the trilogy for me.

I actually disagree. I'd rather have this semi-broken collection of games which should eventually be fixed than just H2A.

Even though it's broken I've still put 10s of hours into the game. If it was just H2A I would have already experienced the majority of the content. With this I've seen less than a quarter, and that's only singleplayer. I'm happy to wait to experience the other half of the game.
haha you are not allowed to be optimistic =)
i totally agree

The correlation between the Halo game you grew up with being later in the series, and bad opinions is amazing.

Halo 3 is a pile of doo doo compared to CE and 2.

"more open! More open!" doesn't matter when the moment to moment combat is boring.

I loved doing CE and H2A on legendary, bugs aside. I'm not enjoying Halo 3 as much. Although I did enjoy Crows Nest.

This post is contradicting itself. The outsourced UI, while broken, is better than Halo 4's UI. Halo 4 was largely a 343i built game.
I dont really count Halo 4 in anything. When I talk about Halos i usually mean Bungie's games. Sorry I shoulda clarified that.

Dub117

I can't get the terminal on gravemind to go. It almost starts, then beeps and sends me back to the game. All the other ones have worked for me what gives?

I can't get the terminal on gravemind to go. It almost starts, then beeps and sends me back to the game. All the other ones have worked for me what gives?
It's not a solution, but I'm just unlocking then not watching em. I'll wait till everything is working then give them a look.

Same goes for Mp unfortunately

jem0208

I finally got into a game! And they choose Team BRs on Warlord, over one flag CTF on Stonetown. What is wrong with the Halo community?

Oh and it was a massive lag fest so I quit.

When's the patch to fix the patch which "fixed" the game coming out?

The correlation between the Halo game you grew up with being later in the series, and bad opinions is amazing.

Halo 3 is a pile of doo doo compared to CE and 2.

"more open! More open!" doesn't matter when the moment to moment combat is boring.

I loved doing CE and H2A on legendary, bugs aside. I'm not enjoying Halo 3 as much. Although I did enjoy Crows Nest.

I dont really count Halo 4 in anything. When I talk about Halos i usually mean Bungie's games. Sorry I shoulda clarified that.

I grew up with Halo 2 and to a lesser extent Halo 3. Halo 2 has some of the best levels in all of Halo however the gameplay in 3 is better. The enemies are just so awful to fight in 2. Brutes take a ridiculous amount of shots to kill unless you have a Carbine then they seem to die in like 3. Grunts can take anywhere from 1-5 melees to be killed. And Drones are quite possibly the worst enemy of all time and are applied quite liberally in the last few levels of 2.

2 also has some awful level design (towards the end at least). It boils down to "corridors, corridors, corridors, open area with fucking annoying snipers, corridors, corridors, corridors" etc. The corridors are all exactly the same as well. CE also had the same problem.

3 is my favourite campaign.

On another note, I honestly think 4 had the best campaign gameplay of the entire series. Every single weapon feels really, really good. The movement feels great and sprint is actually really nice to have in Campaign. The level design isn't quite up there with the likes of 2 and 3 however it's not bad. The Prometheans can also be quite boring to fight, but other than those issues it's really good.

The one thing I've noticed in 3 that I never noticed before is the weapons (especially BR) feel incredibly off. Otherwise, I still love 3 the most.

Random17

I don't know why, but nothing about the Brutes interests me in Halo 3. They were vastly more fun to fight in Halo 3:ODST, and Halo Reach.

All fair points and your entitled to your opinion.

Needlers, Carbines, Brute Shots, Brute plasmas all take care of brutes easy enough.
I asssume your playing on Legendary, why are you meleeing Grunts???
Level design was a result of hardware limitations at the time.

Random17

Also I disagree with the more open point; superficially having large areas means diddly squat if the progression to the encounter is similar due to the linear nature of the level, especially if there's nothing interesting in the immediate scenery.

That's what separates missions like Silent Cartographer and Tsavo Highway.

jem0208

The one thing I've noticed in 3 that I never noticed before is the weapons (especially BR) feel incredibly off. Otherwise, I still love 3 the most.

Non-hitscan BR. It feels so weird compared to the H2A BR.

Sidenote: I'm finding games. Something isn't right.

HOLY SHIT; Team BRs on Standoff. Please don't lag, please.

The Flash

Banned
I really liked Reach's campaign. I also really liked the weapons it introduced. Needle rifle, grenade launcher, focus rifle. So good.

You know what? I'm going to record a playthrough of Reach. It's been a long time since I played it and I want to dive back in.

jem0208

I have such a soft spot for that map and I don't know why. It wasn't anything amazing but it is probably one of my top five maps in Halo 3. Just a lot of fun.

I don't know why either but it's seriously one of my favourite maps. Just so much fun. That was the best game I've had on the MCC. Some reasonable donging as well, especially considering I suck at 3 atm.

Guys, I just consistently got 3 games in a row in less than a minute. It's working. This is glorious.

Edit: Scratch that, black screen then the game crashed. FFS.

Guys, remember when our most worrisome MCC topics were things like new medals and hit markers? :/

And killcams. What happened to those?

Will there be ADS on the Warthog turret?

First person turrets.

First person driving.

I want these as options.

Madness

I wouldn't have been even close to hyped or interested to buy the game if it was just Halo 2 Anniversary. Yeah the game may have run perfectly at launch, but the appeal of the package was playing CE, 2 and 3 at 60FPS on dedicated servers. Look how much fun CE has been. Such fluid and simple gameplay. The campaigns alone look great, especially Halo 3 which people call dated, but it runs buttery smooth, clean lines, better lighting.

I don't think it was really a question of should have removed features so the game wouldn't have been as broken, as opposed to this title came in hot and required at least another month or two to work out the issues.

I really liked Reach's campaign. I also really liked the weapons it introduced. Needle rifle, grenade launcher, focus rifle. So good.

You know what? I'm going to record a playthrough of Reach. It's been a long time since I played it and I want to dive back in.
Reach is one of the best Halo campaigns. I loved that game

The Flash

Banned
Reach is one of the best Halo campaigns. I loved that game

Reach is still my most hyped game by far. Moving back to the States, getting ready for college, getting on Xbox LIVE for the first time, new Halo coming out. One of the best times in my life. I gobbled up every bit of information that I could for that game. Screenshots, beta footage, concept art, Bungie weekly updates. Good times.

Tawpgun

Will there be ADS on the Warthog turret?

BigD.png

Dunno but bring back first person view in passenger seat imo

This.

This.

343 is only a few weeks away from launching a beta that may perform better than the "finished product" that the beta came with.

Magni

How could I be so dumb.

Page has theme song now for dat immersion.

link

Brilliant, just brilliant.

As far as campaigns go: Halo 1 is still my favorite. I use every single weapon, which can't be said for any other campaign, the Flood is fun to play thanks to dat shotgun.

I like parts of Halo 2's, namely Outskirts/Metropolis and Delta Halo/Regret (I don't even remember the names of the later levels in order). Halo 3 is a close second though, loved that campaign (except for Cortana, The Library is wayyyy better).

I've yet to play Halo 4 SP, curious to see how it goes.

Ein Bear

I enjoyed the Reach campaign, but always felt like it suffered from feeling more like a 'Halo: Greatest Hits' collection rather than it's own thing. You've got the bit that's like the beach landing from Silent Cartographer, the bit that's like the sniper section at night in Truth & Reconciliation, the bit that's like the city fighting in Outskirts, etc, etc.

I always wish Bungie had gone with that idea they had about making an Arbiter game based around him re-taking his homeworld instead. Would have been a really interesting direction to go in, that would have felt more refreshingly different. Also, the Arbiter is cool, whilst the Spartans in Reach were incredibly dull.

Reach is a great campaign but I hate how it blatantly contradicted set canon and made a great novel basically non canon. I also don't like how the story is really cool but the characters themselves outside of Jorge were boring, Chief himself has more personality now than a lot of Noble Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom