• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

I don't think Halo 5 has two shields, I think the bottom bar is supposed to be health.

Which honestly thank god. I don't like picking up healthpacks for health but I do like the idea of having your health displayed. So you can figured out why you died from one grenade despite your shields seemingly being up again.

Hope they show vehicle health too.

If there's one thing H5 is doing good (almost too good to the point of being overkill) is communicating to the player the state of everything.

We have secondary weapon indicators back, hitmarkers, a bunch of audio cues for stuff, power weapon spawns, spartan chatter, bars for when your thruster comes back, for when your shields will start recharging, and more.

Argueably things like hitmarkers and the excess spartan chatter can go, but it's still doing a lot of things very right.

I think Spartan Chatter to call out enemies and weapons is genius. They just need to get rid of the "NICE KILL BRUH" "GOOD JOB" kinda stuff. The beeps might also need some toning down.

Hitmarkers should be replaced with something more akin to what we had in the Halo 4 conan clip.
Conan.gif

Conan2.gif

When the spartan gets a hit, sparks fly off of the enemy spartan. Stuff like that is perfect. It also gets rid of having grenade hitmarkers.

dwells

man, I've had nothing but a miserable experience on Lockout, nostalgia be damned. H2:A needs a remastered Midship something serious.

It's a bad map, always has been. I have no idea why people love it so much. You put any two teams against each other who have the slightest idea of what they're doing, and it turns into a huge standoff camp-fest. Grab snipe, setup BR 3, library window, BR 2/ramp, and possibly lift 2 if you have that much control.

The spawns on some of the remastered maps are just terrible, Stonetown or what Zanzibar is now called has the same problem

it's not just the spawns, but the pacing, it's just so slow and boring. I've spent most of my time trading BR shots across the map, dodging a crap-ton of nades and worring about crouched swords. It's driving me nuts.

Tower of Power with Survivor Shotty starts would be pretty hilarious. Since you can't pick up ammo campers would eventually be reduced to having to smack their enemies in the face.

Sephzilla

Again, another standoff map that I didn't think anyone actually liked. No idea how that one got selected for remaking, either.

It's seriously my least favorite map in Halo 2. Games on that map are almost never fun.

I know power weapon and map control is a huge part of Halo, but Ascension takes it to a crazy over the top degree. Almost all matches on Ascension are about getting the sniper rifles and camping the two towers and that's how almost every single match on that map ever goes.

It would be a better map if you moved around some of the weapons. Having two sniper rifles on that map is a bad idea. Having two sniper rifles that spawn right next to the most ideal sniper camping spots is an even worse idea. I'd change it up to one sniper rifle being on the map and have it spawn in the middle of the dome, so if you get the sniper rifle you have to take it to a safer location first and a refill of ammo isn't 5 feet away. Obviously BR starts are needed for this map too.

Omni

No fucking way haha.

I left my game on the search screen to see how long it would take to get a game. Two hours later and I get one xD

Tawpgun

Is Tower of Power possible on H2A Zenith?

All you need is Slayer with a turret placed on the tower and just spawn everyone with shotguns only with shotguns on map.

Or you can choose to make the tower a hill. Perhaps only the top part of the tower.
-----

Also need remakes of Foundation Zombies, Troy, Cat n Mouse.

Hide and Seek/Michael Myers also acceptable.

dwells

Lockout is a bad map now.

Uh okay.

It's terrible for Team Slayer, that's for sure.

The layout of the map encourages camping and the match becomes an instant stalemate if you have tow teams who know what they're doing. It's a rush to control the sniper and the BR tower. Once that setup is in place, it's nearly impossible to effectively break it.

Your points of entry are top-mid, which is a total massacre since you can be taken out by library window, lift 2, BR 3, and BR ramp. Bottom mid is your only other option, and you have a big room for nades to bounce around in, then a little jump that slows everything down. It's just a tiny little funnel of death which then only has a single egress point (narrow BR ramp) to the opposing team's setup.

It just doesn't work. I've won plenty of games that way, and it's been horribly boring each time.

I want to purchase the "orange box game" but gamestop only has one copy for $34...
I should've bought the damn thing years ago for $5...

Anyways, when can we have a H5 OT to start discussing this game more since MCC flopped and is sorta in Limbo, atm.

With this Evolve Free DLC Maps thingy I was wondering... would 343i/MS be open to make some free DLC maps for the community? Splitting the userbase would be horrible.

Impala26

It's terrible for Team Slayer, that's for sure.

The layout of the map encourages camping and the match becomes an instant stalemate if you have tow teams who know what they're doing. It's a rush to control the sniper and the BR tower. Once that setup is in place, it's nearly impossible to effectively break it.

Your points of entry are top-mid, which is a total massacre since you can be taken out by library window, lift 2, BR 3, and BR ramp. Bottom mid is your only other option, and you have a big room for nades to bounce around in, then a little jump that slows everything down. It's just a tiny little funnel of death which then only has a single egress point (narrow BR ramp) to the opposing team's setup.

It just doesn't work. I've won plenty of games that way, and it's been horribly boring each time.

I do like how the icicle/stalactites can break the hold on BR tower pretty effectively because of the huge area of effect and how little actual cover there is from them up there.

Otherwise, you're spot on. Hold BR Tower and watch lift and sniper tower and have one or two on patrol down low to watch sneaks from below.

I feel like a simple tweak to balance the map out a bit more would've been to have a lift/ramp near sword spawn and/or tweak the walls/sightlines/in lower mid.

Caja 117

I wonder if MCC issues are going to affect the Halo 5 beta.

Im really sad this have turned out like this, I have at least 6 friends that were one about to buy the Xbone/MCC, but this disaster have probrably scared them away for good. what affect will this have on Black Friday sales..., I dont think the population at large is too much aware on MCC current problems.

Even though I have to say my experience have been good with MCC, aside for the uneven matches, I have no problem getting matches, crashes are uncommon and havent have my save files been erased. (of course in MM I usually play alone)

With this Evolve Free DLC Maps thingy I was wondering... would 343i/MS be open to make some free DLC maps for the community? Splitting the userbase would be horrible.

Well, 343 prob wouldn't make the maps, Certain Affinity would, and Max Hoberman stated that CA was already working on H5 so there would be no DLC maps for MCC.

Omni

Aren't they supposed to be updating us today about what is happening?

I remember Monday being important for something

Sephzilla

Shrug, I really love H2A multiplayer but I think they picked a couple of the worst maps from Halo 2 to resurrect.

Lockout - It's a good map but Team Slayer games almost entirely ignore the lower half of the map and it turns into camping the sniper and BR areas. The icicle stuff does help dissuade people from staying up there too long though.

Ascension - This map sucks and it's the worst map in Halo 2. The weapon placements are dumb and matches here become battles of who can camp better. It also sucks for objective games too.

Zanzibar - I like this map, I really do. But while I do really like this map, I don't think it's the best asymmetric map in Halo 2.

Wizard/Warlock - I like this map for silly stupid game types but its fucking awful for actual competitive games. Team BRs on this map is bad. Map would be improved by the removal of Battle Rifles all together - which makes H2 purists probably cringe at the thought of.

THE MAPS SEPH WOULD HAVE USED FOR H2A

Coag/Bloodline - This map is just too classic to abandon.

Headlong - This is a better asymmetric map than Zanzibar and allows all sorts of different play styles to mesh together. Despite being an asymmetric map it still works great for multi-flag/bomb matches as well.

Midship - This is a better map than Lockout or Ascension combined and works great for objectives as well as Slayer. I don't give a shit if it's going to also be in Halo 5.

Sanctuary/Shrine - This map would stay as well. It's a damn solid map.

Turf - Fun smaller slayer map. Not bad for objectives. No area really seems extremely camp-able, which means fights can happen anywhere on the map. Also a great infection map.

Relic - Sorry Terminal fans, I'd still cut Terminal in favor of a different map. I love both Relic and Terminal, but Relic gets the advantage because Team Slayer on Terminal isn't as fun as Team Slayer on Relic.

Can anyone confirm something for me? If you bring up your roster by pressing X, then press X again to take it away, is the sound created by removing the roster with X softer than the sound of of removing the roster by pressing B?

I know it doesn't seem important but my sanity would appreciate it.

dwells

Just got flashbacks of successfully running the Warthog over the entire top of the Relic base, hopping out and grabbing the flag, and then driving off and tumbling to victory. So rare it was to clear out the enemy team and time things just right to make that happen, but it felt so good when you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom