• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

daedalius

Wait, what? H4 isn't Turbo?

Definitely isn't in btb. Would have to do some customs testing to see if it elsewhere.

We did a custom game and it seemed like the turbo ... Need to test again to be sure.

I thought it was a TU that changed everything, but it could be game type /playlist hooks instead.

-Ryn

Banned
....fuck,most of these are valid points.

I'm probably getting off a Halo high from playing amazing 5 match made games back to back, but 343 is doing more to save Halo than Bungie ever attempted to. All the problems with modern Halo started with Bungie,and it appears that 343 had fixed a great deal with it.
Bungie did a lot of great stuff with Halo. However like you said a lot of the problems started with them and 343 is doing a hell of a job to rectify it and win back the crowd. Yeah they've made mistakes. They've also shown that they can learn from them and really do care about Halo and everyone who loves it. I get why people are angry and disappointed but I can't believe some of the bullshit I've seen people say.

Responses in bold.
The MCC started at 343 is what I mean though. Yeah they outsourced it but ultimately it was their call if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully the new movement system allows 343 to make some really cool maps in Halo 5 though. I'd love to see trick jumps that involve the thruster pack and even the ground pound or wall climb.

Sweeeeeeeet. I loved Ricochet.

Can't wait to get off this campus for thanksgiving break so I can have a NAT type that isn't strict. Hopefully I'll be able to play some customs with GAFers.

Madness

When it works, it seems like the best stuff ever. Can't believe what happened to this game and the launch. Not even been two weeks but it seems like a long time. Only hope now, is for it to be perfect in time for the holiday and Christmas casuals.

ibxpg1hoc5wvthayk2r.gif

My sides...

Specifically my right side.

Kibbles

Fuck this. How in the world could they release it like this and still not have it working. I can't even play with my friend. We get a game in then it seperates us and it won't work again and keeps having issues so we have to reboot the game just to get the chance we can search for a game again and still have issues. So fucking done.

belushy

Banned
That HCS tournament was really nice to watch today. I sat in Heinz's stream the whole time and CLG is a really enjoyable team.

One thing, I wish they would find a way to get dedis in for these online tournaments.

Madness

From Lord Zedd Unused Remote Missle

Looks like a kill-streak to me.

Wasn't that in the campaign too? I could've sworn there was a part where you had to control and detonate a drone missile or something.

Not surprised though. They completely tried to take as much as they could from Call of Duty for Halo 4. At least they were smart enough to not introduce killstreaks. Halo 5, it seems like they listened enough to remove the random elements, make it a more equal and fair game, but it's shaping up to be a new style of multi-player. Going to see how the beta plays out before I either accept it or move on from the series.

Omni

Going through and unlocking these terminals.

Man H2 is pretty. I love the colour pallet. And the lighting is absolutely gorgeous (that part on Quarantine Zone where there are three Wraiths and their plasma mortars light up the sky... amazing)

Haha, 343i.

I'm still not convinced that every other non-arena mode in H5 won't have this kind of stuff.

-Ryn

Banned

I know they modded that target designator into multiplayer that was similar to the Reach one. I'm just glad 343 had the sense to not do kill streaks. That would be awful. Though I can see the Target Designator being fun for party game types.

Wasn't that in the campaign too? I could've sworn there was a part where you had to control and detonate a drone missile or something.

Not surprised though. They completely tried to take as much as they could from Call of Duty for Halo 4. At least they were smart enough to not introduce killstreaks. Halo 5, it seems like they listened enough to remove the random elements, make it a more equal and fair game, but it's shaping up to be a new style of multi-player. Going to see how the beta plays out before I either accept it or move on from the series.
It was the mission where you fire a nuke at the Didacts ship thing. I forget what you were firing at. It was the Mammoth level though and at the very end of the level you go to a little computer thing, start the missile and "guide" it. I'm pretty sure you could have no input on it though and it would still hit.

It was the mission where you fire a nuke at the Didacts ship thing. I forget what you were firing at. It was the Mammoth level though and at the very end of the level you go to a little computer thing, start the missile and "guide" it. I'm pretty sure you could have no input on it though and it would still hit.
Close but there's no computer.

It's the level "Reclaimer" where former captain andrew del rio wanted a team to a shoot down the giant turrets guarding the artificial gravity-well near the end using a target designator at the edge of the cliff.

-Ryn

Banned
Close but there's no computer.

It's the level "Reclaimer" where former captain andrew del rio wanted a team to a shoot down the giant turrets guarding the artificial gravity-well near the end using a target designator at the edge of the cliff.
Oh yeah. Thanks.

For some reason I remember there being a little set up on the cliff. Weird.

Ramadeus

Neo Member
A bit OT.

So, just watching Nightfall all over again, and one of the ONI agents notes that the surface area of the Alpha Halo shard is 96 km2 - but that's got me puzzled.

The stated width of the Halo is 318km, assuming that the surface area refers to the facing side of the ring only, the fragment would only be 300 meters long (to note, at that length the iconic Halo horizon would be imperceptible, then again the fragment would be so tiny that it could be crossed at an amble pace in minutes, let alone requiring Horses or dropships). However here's the ring as seen from a close flyby:

HNF-Approaching_Alpha_Shard_2.jpg

The fragment is easily a thousand kilometers in length, so the total surface area would be closer to 318,000 km^2. Am I going mad here? Or is the ONI agent off by four orders of magnitude in his estimation?

Omni

Okay, I got all the terminals in Halo CEA, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 4

but I didn't get the achievement for the last one in Halo 4 because the Halo Channel glitched and it wouldn't play. I also don't have the nameplate for unlocking all the terminals. Even though in the Halo MCC menu it says I've unlocked the achievement.

And for some reason you can't activate terminals more than once in Halo 4. So I'm stuck

;_;

heckfu

Banned
Not that I know of.

Health is slightly lower, according to OXM.

Greenskull told me that the shields are multi-layered and in Breakout the top layer is completely removed making kill times faster.

He's got a couple videos up where you can see the visual difference in how the shield is presented on the UI versus regular multiplayer.

TheOddOne

Greenskull told me that the shields are multi-layered and in Breakout the top layer is completely removed making kill times faster.

He's got a couple videos up where you can see the visual difference in how the shield is presented on the UI versus regular multiplayer.
Yeah, I noticed that too.

willow ve

Not that I know of.

Health is slightly lower, according to OXM.

I wonder what the design rationale is behind making different gametypes have different kill times
other than making Breakout play more like esports COD modes
. Seems like it was always frustrating in Reach when different gametypes/hoppers had different rules as to how quickly people would die with different weapons.

I think it's funny that Destiny played around with the idea of making a capture-point gametype where the capture points double as trait zones, modifying points per kill, player traits, etc. I had actually suggested something similar to spice up Three Plots a while back where each Plot would have its own specialty - speed, damage, and defense - where the "contributors" for each capture (those directly involved in staying in the zone during the point of successful seizure) would receive a boost to their movement speed / dexterity, weapon / melee damage and shielding, respectively.

I do actually like the idea of introducing variables that modify point-per-kill rates, but I think those should stick to Slayer, honestly.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
Okay, I got all the terminals in Halo CEA, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 4

but I didn't get the achievement for the last one in Halo 4 because the Halo Channel glitched and it wouldn't play. I also don't have the nameplate for unlocking all the terminals. Even though in the Halo MCC menu it says I've unlocked the achievement.

And for some reason you can't activate terminals more than once in Halo 4. So I'm stuck

;_;
You've been
rused.

TheOddOne

I wonder what the design rationale is behind making different gametypes have different kill times
. Seems like it was always frustrating in Reach when different gametypes/hoppers had different rules as to how quickly people would die with different weapons.
My guess is that they looked at modes like Swat, Griffball, and Zombies for inspiration in creating new modes. None of those modes hold themselves too much to the core Halo arena principles, and with that idea they can experiment and add something “new” to the game. Those modes are often stuff they show to journalist to show them the new “innovative” modes that are coming to new Halo.

Fuchsdh

While I understand your point, I think there's a difference between Reach, where guns acted differently, and this, which is much more akin to different gametypes having no shields, etc. Your gun is behaving the same, there are just different parameters around it, and it's a lot easier to say "oh this is Breakout with the crazy Paintball maps, I die quicker" than to look at a choice of "Slayer DMRs, TU Slayer, TU Elite Slayer" and figure out what the hell is supposed to be different.

I think it's funny that Destiny played around with the idea of making a capture-point gametype where the capture points double as trait zones, modifying points per kill, player traits, etc. I had actually suggested something similar to spice up Three Plots a while back where each Plot would have its own specialty - speed, damage, and defense - where the "contributors" for each capture (those directly involved in staying in the zone during the point of successful seizure) would receive a boost to their movement speed / dexterity, weapon / melee damage and shielding, respectively.

I do actually like the idea of introducing variables that modify point-per-kill rates, but I think those should stick to Slayer, honestly.
Beat ya to it before halo 4 was out. Just ask frank.

While I understand your point, I think there's a difference between Reach, where guns acted differently, and this, which is much more akin to different gametypes having no shields, etc. Your gun is behaving the same, there are just different parameters around it, and it's a lot easier to say "oh this is Breakout with the crazy Paintball maps, I die quicker" than to look at a choice of "Slayer DMRs, TU Slayer, TU Elite Slayer" and figure out what the hell is supposed to be different.

I'm with you on this one, honestly. It's not like they're even modifying damage parameters or bleedthrough or anything - clarifying that you only have one life and less health seems like an extremely reasonable set of conditions to get across to players. Reach / 4 were getting out of hand with the TU / TU BETA / DMRs / CEAMP / Legendary / Infinity / Standard rulesets.

By the way, how would you guys feel about more "golden snitch" conditions in gametypes, like dropping off ten skulls in Headhunter to insta-win the match? My line of thinking is that the Headhunter example would have to be the minimum requirement in terms of difficulty, and obviously wouldn't work with multi-phase / "procedural" gametypes like Invasion. For example getting a Killionaire in FFA Slayer, Unfrigginbelievable in Big Team, etc.

We also really need a "Point of No Return" qualifier that instantly ends the match in Objectives once it's impossible for the enemy team to recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom