• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Something is really wrong with CE's melee. Either the hit box is huge, lag is messing with the animation, or the animation is bugged.

There's no auto-aim on the CE melee, that's why you'll get crazy melee fights where you're missing one another...at least that's how I view it, that there's no auto-aim.

willow ve

Halo 3 maps are a bit of a chore without the updated variants from the end of life sustain team. That game got noticeably better as time went on (as all Halo games do).

FyreWulff

I seem to remember Halo 2's melee damage didn't depend on your speed persay but only if you had just jumped or not.

This is why people could instant kill you by punching you in the feet on Warlock with certain weapons, because jumping made it an instant kill, and that map really exposed that it was programmed to only check if you had jumped, not if your fists are hitting their head.

Something is really wrong with CE's melee. Either the hit box is huge, lag is messing with the animation, or the animation is bugged.

IMO CE's melee has always been weird as fuck, even on the original Xbox. The animations really don't match the hitbox at all. The sniper rifle especially.

There's no auto-aim on the CE melee, that's why you'll get crazy melee fights where you're missing one another...at least that's how I view it, that there's no auto-aim.

I seem to remember Halo 2's melee damage didn't depend on your speed persay but only if you had just jumped or not.

This is why people could instant kill you by punching you in the feet on Warlock with certain weapons, because jumping made it an instant kill, and that map really exposed that it was programmed to only check if you had jumped, not if your fists are hitting their head.

IMO CE's melee has always been weird as fuck, even on the original Xbox. The animations really don't match the hitbox at all. The sniper rifle especially.
I almost never see the contact happen and often the distance looks too far away to actually hit anything. Then I hear the familiar crunch noise. It's weird.
Different weapons have different ranges and the melees aren't auto-aim.
I get that there is no auto-aim, but I'm talking more about visually seeing contact when i do melee someone. I never see it. I just hear the noise after.

I almost never see the contact happen and often the distance looks too far away to actually hit anything. Then I hear the familiar crunch noise. It's weird.

I get that there is no auto-aim, but I'm talking more about visually seeing contact when i do melee someone. I never see it. I just hear the noise after.

A major factor in this is while CE has a pretty large melee hitbox compared to future titles, it doesn't have melee lunge, which is a pretty dead giveaway that "yeah, you just came up and hit that guy." It can be harder to notice, especially with Halo PC's lag.

Sephzilla

Yesterday I cringed when I was playing Team Slayer and people were voting for Halo 3 TS (non-BR start) over H2 BRs and HCE classic.

My ultimate cringe last night was when Multi Flag on Sanctuary H2C lost to Crazy King on Blackout H3.

Then MCC crashed. I think it was a sign that people need to have better taste.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Y'all buying systems for one game were bound to get burned eventually. Buy a system when it has multiple games you want.

That being said, the MCC issues have been ridiculous.

dwells

Y'all buying systems for one game were bound to get burned eventually. Buy a system when it has multiple games you want.

Well, it was the only way I was going to be able to play Halo 2 on Xbox Live since they dropped support for it years ago. So it was worth it. I mean, how hard can it be to port over a ten year old game that was working really well at the end of its life with the 1.5 patch?

Whoops.

Sephzilla

Halo 1 sold me on one Xbox, i figured it would sell me on another

Well, it was the only way I was going to be able to play Halo 2 on Xbox Live since they dropped support for it years ago. So it was worth it. I mean, how hard can it be to port over a ten year old game that was working really well at the end of its life with the 1.5 patch?

Whoops.

Mistake #1 was that they didn't port that version

It's gradually improving.

Last nights patch honestly made a noticeable difference for me, and I wasn't even having too many issues before.

Havok

This is why people could instant kill you by punching you in the feet on Warlock with certain weapons, because jumping made it an instant kill, and that map really exposed that it was programmed to only check if you had jumped, not if your fists are hitting their head..
I could be wrong on this as it's been quite a while since I played regularly, but to my knowledge there were 3 states that it read to inform the melee damage: standing still, moving, and mid-air (it didn't have to be a jump, technically).

I do think that even if it didn't operate that way and there were only two states, it was still a better system in theory than the more recent 2HKO systems (so discounting the very inconsistent melee lunge, which plagued Halo 2's CQC). If someone wants to be effective in melee, they're forced to jump and show up on radar, so the efficacy of corner camping was a little diminished - or would have been, if BXR didn't undermine the entire concept (something something added depth something something skill gap something something ????).

GrizzNKev

Banned

I was bound to get burned for buying a console for Halo, just like I bought a GPU for Halo PC and a 360 for Halo 3? Third time's the charm, I guess.

Sephzilla

I could be wrong on this as it's been quite a while since I played regularly, but to my knowledge there were 3 states that it read to inform the melee damage: standing still, moving, and mid-air (it didn't have to be a jump, technically).

I do think that even if it didn't operate that way and there were only two states, it was still a better system in theory than the more recent 2HKO systems (so discounting the very inconsistent melee lunge, which plagued Halo 2's CQC). If someone wants to be effective in melee, they're forced to jump and show up on radar, so the efficacy of corner camping was a little diminished - or would have been, if BXR didn't undermine the entire concept (something something added depth something something skill gap something something ????).

handshake.gif

i'm always happy to see another member of the "BXR was a bad thing in H2" camp

I'm talking actual OXB CE
No I agree with you about CE's CQC being one of the best. I played the crap out of Halo CE on the original xbox. What i'm encountering now with the melee isn't something I ever recall seeing before though. I know there is no lunge and no auto-aim. It's something with the animation. Someone else mentioned it is partially due to the game being the pc port, which i never played. So that's probably it.

Damn, my ISP's local location has a 1.5 star rating on Google. Having some weird DNS issues right now.

Halo netcode. Hashtag 56k Warning.

FyreWulff

I checked it again and running was also calculated into it

http://www.supercheats.com/xbox/walkthroughs/halo2-walkthrough18.txt

notably the Brute Shot became an instant jumping kill after the update so you could surprise some people with it that hadn't caught on to the changes.

Skullface

What the fuck... This patch fucked everything up for me. Before last night I was getting game after game consistently, albeit with the majority consisting of uneven teams. Now I keep getting a "failed to connect" error. Balls almighty.

I checked it again and running was also calculated into it

http://www.supercheats.com/xbox/walkthroughs/halo2-walkthrough18.txt

notably the Brute Shot became an instant jumping kill after the update so you could surprise some people with it that hadn't caught on to the changes.
The brute shot saved my butt the other day on Foundry. Other team had the sniper rifle the whole game. I grabbed the brute shot and started going to work from close range. It disrupted their control and turned the tide for my side.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Exactly.

I have 7 games for this system now that I otherwise wouldn't have picked up and enjoyed.
But it was because of the MCC that I decided to go with the X1 in the first place.

We are not going to stop making improvements until it's acceptable. Today was significant but we will be doing more significant improvements.

Thanks for update, in my case it's really a lot better. I was wondering if there are any plans for:

- a possibility to disable the music (for the matchmaking menu), while I love the Halo music, it’s quite boring to listen the music all the time meanwhile you wait especially when is so long for a match and when you speak with a friend during the evening/night. Like H3/Reach would be the best I guess when you start a MM research or that a player joins your lobby the music go off.

- Pre download the Halo 5 beta will be also nice.

- Possibility to choose the brightness like previous Halo games on X360 for each games. For example for me it's too bright on H3 but in H2 MP it's too dark instead.

Also any news on SWAT, infection, Objective and Halo 4 & CE playlists? Will the rumble pit be reduced to 8 players (10 players is really too much).

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Thanks for update, in my case it's really a lot better. I was wondering if there are any plans for:
- a possibility to disable the music (for the matchmaking menu) , while I love the Halo music, it’s quite boring to listen the music all the time meanwhile you wait especially when is so long for a match and/or speak with a friend especially during the evening/night
- Pre download the Halo 5 beta will be nice also

Also any news on SWAT, infection, Objective and Halo 4 & CE playlists? Will the rumble pit be reduced to 8 players (10 players is really too much).

I second that music thing, I wish we could toggle the volume of it or toggle it off completely, I'm tired of listening to it so loudly. I like to play the game somewhat loud, but when the menu music kicks back in, it's too loud.

Magni

Good games on Saturday night guys :) Sorry to whoever I accidentally betrayed for the flag on Gephyrophobia haha

Excited to try out the patch tonight. I'm gonna be busy most of the week, and then out of town for the following three, so hopefully the game is "fully" fixed by then *dreams*

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Got it, thanks. If it didn't install, is there a way to force the DL/install process?

Another way to check is the bandwith stats in your network settings, see if in the last 12 hours or more, what the bandwith usage was, if it shows a sudden increase, then you'll know for sure.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
"Manage Game" will not reflect the size of the patches installed.

I think it does, because patches are not added to the game, it replaces files.

When someone download the game, it downloads the latest build with the latest patch, like on Steam or Origin, not the original game and then all the patches.

If it was not the case, why would the game jump from 44GB to near 57GB when we downloaded the first 15GB MP Content update ? Because it added somethings that where missing (H2A, Halo 3 and 4 MPs), and it replaced some existing files (about 2GB as 44+15 = 59).

Haruko

Had a 5v5 match last night where two of the opponents each had dong emblems.

One was a classic "grenade" style, and the other was the H2-era "Da Bomb" variant.

#WeBack?

Broly

Banned
I really don't like the direction Halo is taking graphically and I really dislike that Halo 4's graphics get so much praise. Halo: Reach is one of the best looking games past generation and is overshadowed by the static, flat entity that is Halo 4.

The way Halo: Reach looked gave me the idea that I could go to places on a map which were unreachable. I wanted to explore the world. None of that is in Halo 4. Halo 4's visuals never give me a sense of scale and sense of exploration.

VinFTW

I really don't like the direction Halo is taking graphically and I really dislike that Halo 4's graphics get so much praise. Halo: Reach is one of the best looking games past generation and is overshadowed by the static, flat entity that is Halo 4.

The way Halo: Reach looked gave me the idea that I could go to places on a map which were unreachable. I wanted to explore the world. None of that is in Halo 4. Halo 4's visuals never give me a sense of scale and sense of exploration.

They know. Halo 5's new engine already looks much better. Hope they can nail the sense of scale. Empire MP map on the Beta videos looks awesome (city looks huge in the distance).

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I think it does, because patches are not added to the game, it replaces files.

When someone download the game, it downloads the latest build with the latest patch, like on Steam or Origin, not the original game and then all the patches.

If it was not the case, why would the game jump from 44GB to near 57GB when we downloaded the first 15GB MP Content update ? Because it added somethings that where missing (H2A, Halo 3 and 4 MPs), and it replaced some existing files (about 2GB as 44+15 = 59).

Game went to 59.1GB after the CU was downloaded.

Now it hasn't changed since then with the various patches that have been put out.

I don't think the patches are reflected in the total size.

Ramirez

I played for about an hour 1/2 last night, and didn't crash, and only two of the matches I played were 5v5. There were spots of lag, but nothing like it had been. Seems like my experience isn't the norm though.

I also saw a clan tag [Broken Game Day 28], got a good laugh out of that one.

Broly

Banned
They know. Halo 5's new engine already looks much better. Hope they can nail the sense of scale. Empire MP map on the Beta videos looks awesome (city looks huge in the distance).

There was a Halo 4 DLC map that looked about as huge, scale wise, that's not what I'm talking about.
Complex is a pretty big map, but it looked rather small and there was absolutely no sense of scale.
Complex and Overlook are about the same size, but for some reason the place Overlook is set in looks really vast and immersive. I think it also boiles down to atmosphere and "depth" of textures. I think it also has to do with the fact that in Reach, the vistas are made up from actual geometry (and if not, it at least looks like it does).

I don't know how to explain this, I'll try to provide images:

Halo-Reach-Postcards-ONI-Sword-Base-4.jpg

Halo-Reach-Postcards-5-Long-night-Solace-1.jpg

Halo-Reach-Postcards-8-The-Package-2.5.jpg

I really liked the scale and visuals of Halo: Reach.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Game went to 59.1GB after the CU was downloaded.

Now it hasn't changed since then with the various patches that have been put out.

I don't think the patches are reflected in the total size.

Mine is 58GB with the latest update (and was 58GB yesterday), and I'm sure that, as this is how updates work now, the files are just updated/replaced, no update files are stacked, it does not work like on 360.

That also explain why the update process is so weird, like "stuck" at 43% and then jump to 80%. It's still downloading, it's not stuck at all, but as it patches some precise areas of the game, percentage can jump when an area or specific file is updated. That's why the game is "ready to launch" even if the update is not fully downloaded, the menus and the main game is updated, and then I could see Halo CE and H2A being updated while ingame.

CE and Halo 4 have provided me with more fun than H2/A and H3 in this collection. I'll probably play those the most once there are playlists for them.
I also saw a clan tag [Broken Game Day 28], got a good laugh out of that one.
Someone in HaloGAF had a tag with a Games Played counter lol; good laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom