• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

Saw that Halo 5 match with Greenskull.

I don't like the SMG. From the footage I've seen it looks too powerful. Honestly reminds me of the SAW. I dunno... maybe I'm just backwards about this. But in Halo I just dislike the idea of powerful automatic weapons, period. They shouldn't be completely worthless of course, but anyone using them should be at a severe disadvantage compared to those using more accurate precision weapons.

Plus the ADS rubs me the wrong way. Groupings become more accurate when scoped with it or whatever? Eh. That's a slippery slope I don't like one bit.

Whatever the case, the beta should be interesting.

daedalius

Saw that Halo 5 match with Greenskull.

I don't like the SMG. From the footage I've seen it looks too powerful. Honestly reminds me of the SAW. I dunno... maybe I'm just backwards about this. But in Halo I just dislike the idea of powerful automatic weapons, period. They shouldn't be completely worthless of course, but anyone using them should be at a severe disadvantage compared to those using more accurate precision weapons.

Plus the ADS rubs me the wrong way. Groupings become more accurate when scoped with it or whatever? Eh. That's a slippery slope I don't like one bit.

Whatever the case, the beta should be interesting.

SMG does look a little strong. That's what betas are for!

Basically everything else I really like though. Looks great to me, excellent video.

Madness

Didn't like how he said that SMG in ADS has less spread or whatever. Coupled with people saying the same for AR saying it's a whole different beast when in the ADS tells me this isn't just visual ADS but full blown ADS on these automatic weapons.

Additionally, I really didn't like the ledge grabbing or the power weapon announcing. It's so crazy just how much they're catering to complete casuals with their decisions. Taking the Halo 4 and Halo 2 Anniversary handholding one step further from not only waypoints on the map, but having the weapon be a holographic orange projection, have a base where the weapon will appear and having the announcer say POWER WEAPONS COMING, POWER WEAPONS ARE HERE, SNIPER RIFLE IS ON MAP etc.

Nirvana

If you feel like playing with us again then yes. Last night we had good success filling a party then doing matchmaking BTB and just voting with no need to find more enemy players. Went from District 2 flag CE to Burial Mounds H2 1 flag to Stonetown H2A 1 flag... So great when it all holds together.

We even found solid fun with Gungoose 2 flag for one game worth. Anyhow any Aussies welcome generally. GT same as GAF name.

Sounds fantastic. Will be on in about half an hour so I'll send further messages begging for invites haha.

This doesn't even feel like a beta, it feels like an alpha stage. Is it only me that thinks that the ui sucks?

The UI is disappointingly amateur. Small font on gamer tags, no support for halo2/3 medals, no headshot stat (AGAIN!), big swathes of space unused and much more

Also, for the first time ever in an online Halo game, you can't tell how many headshots a player got in Halo 3. The other games necessitate the rigmarole of going to the medal chest, but Halo 3 doesn't recognise/doesn't have headshot medal coding. B A S I C S T U F F.

9BJM2AN.jpg

1th.

Serious bug, needs fix ASAP. Alongside the customs JIP bug (full party) they make up the two most significant non-server-side bugs in the game. Hard to categorise the bugs with the roster though, they should also be prioritised.

That being said, I had a friend around today and was showing him off the collection, and the game lagged, froze, crashed in every permutation under the sun. If there was ever a chance of this person buying an X1, there isn't now.

- Gun sounds lagged upwards of 1 second.
- Game ceases rendering and a lound looping tone repeats (sounds like someone is sitting on a guitar lead).
- Game crashes to dash at random
- etc.

Also discovered that you can toggle between OG and Blur cinematics in H2A. Wasn't expecting that (feature).

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
Finished solo legendary on halo 2 the other day and started CEA today, and let me just say

Fuck truth and reconciliation

I hate it

Wave after wave in cramped spaces with no checkpoints, drove me to near madness, I forgot how much it sucks.
My most hated mission of any halo ever, that was the only time i've saved and quit out of frustration.

RowdyReverb

Since each of the games was handled by a different studio, does it stand to reason that they are each independently working on patches for their respective contributions in spite of the frantic work on matchmaking by 343/Xbox? If so, we could hopefully see some of the game-specific bugs getting quashed sooner rather than later.

Don't you select the gametype you are editing for in the menu before booting the map in MCC?
Didn't like how he said that SMG in ADS has less spread or whatever. Coupled with people saying the same for AR saying it's a whole different beast when in the ADS tells me this isn't just visual ADS but full blown ADS on these automatic weapons.

Additionally, I really didn't like the ledge grabbing or the power weapon announcing. It's so crazy just how much they're catering to complete casuals with their decisions. Taking the Halo 4 and Halo 2 Anniversary handholding one step further from not only waypoints on the map, but having the weapon be a holographic orange projection, have a base where the weapon will appear and having the announcer say POWER WEAPONS COMING, POWER WEAPONS ARE HERE, SNIPER RIFLE IS ON MAP etc.
It looks like you lose all aim assist when zooming with an automatic weapon. As said in the vidoc, "If people feel like then need to always be scoped to say competitive we've broken the game", so 343 are very aware of the fact that Smart Scope needs to be balanced very well and I imagine that is one of the biggest things they will be looking at in the beta.

As for the other two things, I don't see ledge grabbing as something catering to the casuals, in fact I see it as a great way to easily add more verticality and routes to the map design. As for the power weapon thing they've talked about the game having a bigger skill gap and I see this as something that can actually help both new players and regulars, for new players they will know where power weapons spawn instead of being at a complete disadvantage and regular players don't have to learn the spawn times for the power weapons on every map. That being said it could definitely be less in your face.

FyreWulff

Don't you select the gametype you are editing for in the menu before booting the map in MCC?

No. That's a Reach/4 Feature. 3 you had to switch after loading into the map.

Same reason the MCC isn't letting you change the trait zones in 4, it was done via the original game's start menu.

No. That's a Reach/4 Feature. 3 you had to switch after loading into the map.

Same reason the MCC isn't letting you change the trait zones in 4, it was done via the original game's start menu.

Damn, that sucks. I have a feeling that even after they fix the online and the stability issues they will never get the games to be the definitive versions because of various things like this. The "amazing" Master Menu sure isn't all that amazing.

willow ve

I guess that explains why Halo 3's maps are vanilla, it's actually impossible to reforge the maps into their updated forms in the game's Forge mode.

All it would have taken was for someone to load up a map and try to make a test map and the issue would have been found within a minute..

Apparently the trait zones can't be edited in Halo 4 due to this as well.

Well shit - how long is the bug tracker for this game? Over / Under for having it sorted before Thanksgiving so we can actually play Halo "just the way you remember it?"

Karl2177

Well shit - how long is the bug tracker for this game? Over / Under for having it sorted before Thanksgiving so we can actually play Halo "just the way you remember it?"

At this point, seeing the multitude of bugs, it will not be fully functional at any point. I guess that important issues will be fixed within 2 months, but there's going to be a lot of slightly minor stuff that gets tossed aside, simply because they don't have the resources to fix it and ship Halo 5.

Welfare

At this point, seeing the multitude of bugs, it will not be fully functional at any point. I guess that important issues will be fixed within 2 months, but there's going to be a lot of slightly minor stuff that gets tossed aside, simply because they don't have the resources to fix it and ship Halo 5.

Lol they are going to fix the issues. Any issue in this game is going to have to be fixed, or else 343 is going to lose more good will from fans.

We expected this game to be all 4 games in 1080p 60fps, and all we got was 1080p 30fps-60fps, missing features such as armor customization, unique emblems in Halo 2, 3, and 4, Halo 3's forge being broken, etc. If they don't fix the minor issues in MCC, whats to say they will in Halo 5?

Akai__

OT, but it's very important and serious.

Haven't seen Gui online for 4 days now. His last coupple of tweets were about him trying to commit suicide and I'm really worried. I tried to contact him via Twitter, but no response.

I think we should contact authorities.

RowdyReverb

Taking the Halo 4 and Halo 2 Anniversary handholding one step further from not only waypoints on the map, but having the weapon be a holographic orange projection, have a base where the weapon will appear and having the announcer say POWER WEAPONS COMING, POWER WEAPONS ARE HERE, SNIPER RIFLE IS ON MAP etc.

I think that the Spartans having to call out weapon spawns is a sad necessity due to the lack of people using public chat anymore. Halo is much more fun when teams are battling over control points and weapon spawns, and this preserves that.

Karl2177

Lol they are going to fix the issues. Any issue in this game is going to have to be fixed, or else 343 is going to lose more good will from fans.

We expected this game to be all 4 games in 1080p 60fps, and all we got was 1080p 30fps-60fps, missing features such as armor customization, unique emblems in Halo 2, 3, and 4, Halo 3's forge being broken, etc. If they don't fix the minor issues in MCC, whats to say they will in Halo 5?

AFAIK, Halo 5 is full, in-house testing. I'm going to bet $10 that Halo 3's Forge lighting doesn't get fixed. System architecture changes will prevent them from utilizing Halo 3's method of lighting, and it may have a triage effect if they fundamentally change how it works.

TheOddOne

OT, but it's very important and serious.

Haven't seen Gui online for 4 days now. His last coupple of tweets were about him trying to commit suicide and I'm really worried. I tried to contact him via Twitter, but no response.

I think we should contact authorities.
Yeah, Zeouterlimits and I tried to talk to him but it didn't work.

I really don't know what we can do except contact the authorities.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Played two games this morning of halo 2 classic, both games took 2 mins to find players.

My best luck seems to be with h2 classic.

I tried team h2a abd got matched with players after 3.5 mins, but as the map launched, the game disconnected.

Also, my game randomly black screens and makes a loud audio humming noise, making me have to goto home screen and quit the game.

I5CharactersMax

Neo Member
So, apparently 'follow the noob' in CE is a thing? I got invited into two custom games from some guys I met in MM and I got my teammate killed because I had no idea where to go. Harsh. Going form being 'decent' at H2/3 and the other games to having no thumbs is quite, jarring. I have to learn this game...

Nirvana

Finished solo legendary on halo 2 the other day and started CEA today, and let me just say

Fuck truth and reconciliation

I hate it

Wave after wave in cramped spaces with no checkpoints, drove me to near madness, I forgot how much it sucks.
My most hated mission of any halo ever, that was the only time i've saved and quit out of frustration.

Truth and Reconciliation had me raging like crazy when I played through as well. Just nearing the end of my Halo 2 run and am thankful I had a decent Regret fight. I always forget how much RNG is involved in having a good run when it comes to Legendary. Also there seem to be some slight differences in H2A, for instance in Gravemind there are two Jetpack elites who used to always be flying in the air, now they spawn inside of a doorway and it makes the part way harder.

Not looking forward to CEA. Some parts are absolutely awful.

Code:
   Domain Name: THEHALOWARS.COM
   Registrar: FASTDOMAIN, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.fastdomain.com
   Referral URL: http://www.fastdomain.com
   Name Server: NS1.BLUEHOST.COM
   Name Server: NS2.BLUEHOST.COM
   Updated Date: 14-nov-2014
   Creation Date: 14-nov-2014
   Expiration Date: 14-nov-2015

Doesn't use Microsoft's Name Servers (NS{1,2,3,4}.MSFT.NET), so I doubt it's legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom