• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good, maybe they will allow me to turn off ADS "skin/animation" in H5 then.

I think the fact that "traditional Smartlink zoom is available on select weapons, as a companion to the emergent Smart Scope mechanic" wording is pretty clear evidence ADS / smartlink in Halo 5 doesn't operate on a purely cosmetic level.

I agree, believing Smart Scope will work only as purely cosmetic mechanic is like fooling yourself Halo is not gonna aim for "that" audience again.

I think the fact that "traditional Smartlink zoom is available on select weapons, as a companion to the emergent Smart Scope mechanic" wording is pretty clear evidence ADS / smartlink in Halo 5 doesn't operate on a purely cosmetic level.
ut97kst.gif

I think I'm going to bump this gif often over the next 6 months.

I agree, believing Smart Scope will work only as purely cosmetic mechanic is like fooling yourself Halo is not gonna aim for "that" audience again.

If the sniper rifle, BR and DMR are functionally identical, I don't know why any other weapon would change when scoped. But who knows, it seems people are mostly worried about SMGs and ARs benefiting.

Madness

I'm surprised Halo 4 actually got voted for in matchmaking.

Almost heresy to say it, but if I saw something like legendary BR slayer in the lobby, I'd probably vote for it. Pretty amazing how I can see Halo 4 now, having seen what Halo 5 will be and think, damn, Halo 4 is classic Halo.

-Ryn

Banned
Come Halo 6

Almost heresy to say it, but if I saw something like Mythic Potato Gun Boogaloo in the lobby, I'd probably vote for it. Pretty amazing how I can see Halo 5 now, having seen what Halo 6 will be and think, damn, Halo 5 is classic Halo.

andthecyclecontinues.jpg

I feel like Halo 4 had half the gameplay mechanics of games like CoD, we bitched and (most) of them were taken out, now they are trying the second half of the mechanics with 5, with additions such as ADS. Clearly they didn't learn their lesson.

Booshka

Almost heresy to say it, but if I saw something like legendary BR slayer in the lobby, I'd probably vote for it. Pretty amazing how I can see Halo 4 now, having seen what Halo 5 will be and think, damn, Halo 4 is classic Halo.

No matter what Halo turns into, this will never be true.

Most of the gametypes are Legendary type even if it doesn't say it

-Ryn

Banned
I feel like Halo 4 had half the gameplay mechanics of games like CoD, we bitched and (most) of them were taken out, now they are trying the second half of the mechanics with 5, with additions such as ADS. Clearly they didn't learn their lesson.
So wait ADS was half of the CoD mechanic list?

Even with ADS, Halo 5 will still be a better game than CoD. I don't mean gameplay wise either since that's "subjective" and whatever. I mean as a game, it will be better.

But sweet grunty JESUS do I hope they add a toggle for ADS

Even with ADS, Halo 5 will still be a better game than CoD. I don't mean gameplay wise either since that's "subjective" and whatever. I mean as a game, it will be better.

I never said it was half the mechanic list, I used it as one example. Though CoD doesn't have much depth so it's not too far off. LT+RT is all the game boils down to.

-Ryn

Banned
I never said it was half the mechanic list, I used it as one example. Though CoD doesn't have much depth so it's not too far off. LT+RT is all the game boils down to.
Well I mean you said "the other half of the mechanics list" and aside from ADS, I don't see any other similarities here (unless you count sprint but that's been in since Halo: Reach so that couldn't be on the "other half"). I don't want to put words into your mouth though. That shit is stupid and I get that you're just wary that they will reveal even more mechanics that CoD has. Blegh...

CoD really doesn't have much if any depth, I agree. If a friend asks me to play that game with them then okay. However I have never bought a CoD game and I don't ever plan to (though I will give each one a fair shot).

But sweet grunty JESUS do I hope they add a toggle for ADS

COD AW is already ahead of Halo 5.

Woorloog

Banned
You mean the thruster packs?

I suddenly remembered Unreal Tournament 2004... pretty sure it had these odd movement-things, didn't they also include a dodge/sidestep? Functionally it would have been a lot like Halo's thruster pack... EDIT Wasn't tied to adrenaline, simply double-tapping a direction dodged to that direction apparently.

(How was the adrenaline system in UT2k4 received by the way? Anyone know?)

daedalius

I suddenly remembered Unreal Tournament 2004... pretty sure it had these odd movement-things, didn't they also include a dodge/sidestep? Functionally it would have been a lot like Halo's thruster pack...

UT2004 had dodges, double tap a direction and it did it.

You could also dodge off of walls and shit; that game was pretty amazing.

Woorloog

Banned

Started googling and found that just now...
It was a fun game certainly but... eh, even with its vehicle integration, it never felt quite as good as Halo. I chalk it up to lack of proper single player campaign, pretty much every single shooter i have like includes one.

Cow

No matter what Halo turns into, this will never be true.

This.

Halo 4 was an absolute mess... Halo 5 has got me quite disappointed, I was hoping they'd actually try make Halo different to other shooters on the market. Placing emphasis on the "golden triangle", creative small maps, intense focus on balance and simplicity... thruster pack and the pseudo ADS do no go against this, everything else that has been added does. Speeding up base movement, faster movement acceleration, these are all great ways to make Halo faster and better. There should never be a time in Halo where you have to sacrifice your ability to shoot, with the exception of melee.

I'll play the beta, give my feedback which will most likely be "remove all the unnecessary gimmicks", be completely ignored and then proceed to play Halo, by which I mean the original trilogy. It is clearer than ever that 343 has a vision for the franchise that does not appeal to me and is aimed at capturing the CoD crowd. It's a shame because the classic Halo formula could still be preserved whilst providing a fresh and improved experience. Sprint, clamber, ground pound all should be removed.

-Ryn

Banned
Hovering, possibly armor based gameplay, "dinamic" grab edges and
smart scopes
Even with those additions the gameplay is still shallow from what I have heard. I've still gotta try it out though.

I'm assuming the ADS still operates the way it always has. What do you mean by "armor based gameplay"?

I suddenly remembered Unreal Tournament 2004... pretty sure it had these odd movement-things, didn't they also include a dodge/sidestep? Functionally it would have been a lot like Halo's thruster pack... EDIT Wasn't tied to adrenaline, simply double-tapping a direction dodged to that direction apparently.

That sounds really badass.
In High School my buddy had installed UT on every computer so we would get a bunch of people and hold fun tournaments during lunch. I don't know which game it was though. Definitely wasn't 2004 though. It was a bit older than that.

Started googling and found that just now...
It was a fun game certainly but... eh, even with its vehicle integration, it never felt quite as good as Halo. I chalk it up to lack of proper single player campaign, pretty much every single shooter i have like includes one.
I think that any full priced game needs to have a solid single player. Multiplayer only games being a full $60 always seemed like major bullshit.

It's too bad UT didn't have a proper SP.

Even with those additions the gameplay is still shallow from what I have heard. I've still gotta try it out though.

I'm assuming the ADS still operates the way it always has. What do you mean by "armor based gameplay"?

All core abilites are in your armor by default (thrusters, double jump, sprint, do a tackle from air to the ground) you can upgraded them via perks to do have more abilities for example hovering, scan enemies, faster sprint, dont be visible on radar while using your abilities.

-Ryn

Banned
All core abilites are in your armor by default (thrusters, double jump, sprint) you can upgraded them via perks to do have more abilities for example hovering, scan enemies, faster sprint, dont be visible on radar while using your abilities
I see. I always forget about their perk system for some reason.
Halo 5 is going for the whole equal starts thing though so you don't need to unlock any abilities. Though I guess whether that's better depends on your preference.

I'll play the beta, give my feedback which will most likely be "remove all the unnecessary gimmicks", be completely ignored and then proceed to play Halo, by which I mean the original trilogy. It is clearer than ever that 343 has a vision for the franchise that does not appeal to me and is aimed at capturing the CoD crowd.

I doubt we'll be ignored.

What is more likely to happen is that our input will be overshadowed by the much greater amount of input from average gamers who are only going to play the game for a few weeks. The result will be a game that holds the average gamer's attention for those precious few weeks while infuriating the players who would've played the game for years if it had been designed for them instead.

Woorloog

Banned
I think that any full priced game needs to have a solid single player. Multiplayer only games being a full $60 always seemed like major bullshit.

It's too bad UT didn't have a proper SP.

Eh, it isn't really a game where single player fits anyway. It does have this mode versus bots that forms kind of a campaign... or perhaps the titular tournament. But it has no story, and playing against bots isn't that fun in it.
Pretty fun LAN multiplayer though.

I don't find 60€ for a MP-only game a problem, if the game is good enough! I apply the same principle everywhere really: If i pay that much for a game, i expect, nay, i need to get 500 hours+ entertainment from it. It must be a game i play for years. It must be really good.
However, there is no single MP-only game i would buy at the moment for that price. Heck, there ain't ANY game worth 60€, at the moment, i think (i do have highly specific tastes, standards and requirements). In retrospect, i've paid too much for most games.

Did you guys see these Halo 3 custom games remakes on /r/halo? Would be good to have for the next time we do customs.

I need an Octagon map and gametype for Halo 3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone notice that the Carbine is still shooting twice as fast because of the 60 fps glitch? Melting Legendary Elites in campaign right now. Frank said that the day 1 patch was going to fix that.

Woorloog

Banned
Anyone notice that the Carbine is still shooting twice as fast because of the 60 fps glitch? Melting Legendary Elites in campaign right now. Frank said that the day 1 patch was going to fix that.
That's a glitch? Halo 2 Vista is so wonderful with the Carbine. I always thought it was just an effect of the 60fps and applied to everything equally.
Though now that i think of it, i'm not sure other weapons acted the way the Carbine did...

EDIT BTW, i'm making an assumption the MCC Halo 2 is based on Halo 2 Vista, and that H2V bugs (may) work in the MCC and vice versa.

Madness

This.

Halo 4 was an absolute mess... Halo 5 has got me quite disappointed, I was hoping they'd actually try make Halo different to other shooters on the market. Placing emphasis on the "golden triangle", creative small maps, intense focus on balance and simplicity... thruster pack and the pseudo ADS do no go against this, everything else that has been added does. Speeding up base movement, faster movement acceleration, these are all great ways to make Halo faster and better. There should never be a time in Halo where you have to sacrifice your ability to shoot, with the exception of melee.

I'll play the beta, give my feedback which will most likely be "remove all the unnecessary gimmicks", be completely ignored and then proceed to play Halo, by which I mean the original trilogy. It is clearer than ever that 343 has a vision for the franchise that does not appeal to me and is aimed at capturing the CoD crowd. It's a shame because the classic Halo formula could still be preserved whilst providing a fresh and improved experience. Sprint, clamber, ground pound all should be removed.

Looking back at Halo 4 with some fresh perspective, sure there were a lot of iffy decisions. But the game was massive improved from launch. The only bad part that remained for me was flinch and sprint. Otherwise legendary BR slayer played pretty well. I don't think it recovered because people wrote off the game early on.

Halo 4 had many problems, but looking back now, I can't help but feel it just got caught up in a lot of the early negativity. Were the game to have been called UNSC: Infinity or something, it would have been much more successful.

Remember, instant respawn was removed, red X on death brought back, killcams disabled, static weapon spawns, fixed loadouts, etc. The only sticking point became flinch, otherwise the gunplay and gameplay without Infinity settings became very much classic Halo.

I need an Octagon map and gametype for Halo 3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a glitch? Halo 2 Vista is so wonderful with the Carbine. I always thought it was just an effect of the 60fps and applied to everything equally.
Though now that i think of it, i'm not sure other weapons acted the way the Carbine did...

EDIT BTW, i'm making an assumption the MCC Halo 2 is based on Halo 2 Vista, and that H2V bugs (may) work in the MCC.
It is based on H2V.
It's not a glitch, it's just bad programming. The fire rate for the carbine is tied to the framerate. It should remain how it is because the 30fps carbine sucks.

Woorloog

Banned
It is based on H2V.
It's not a glitch, it's just bad programming. The fire rate for the carbine is tied to the framerate. It should remain how it is because the 30fps carbine sucks.

But does that only apply to the Carbine, not the other weapons in Halo 2? It would be odd if it doesn't... unless the other weapons have strict ROF-caps?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
It is based on H2V.

Would be hilarious if they just reduced the damage per shot to half in the CU.

-Ryn

Banned
Eh, it isn't really a game where single player fits anyway. It does have this mode versus bots that forms kind of a campaign... or perhaps the titular tournament. But it has no story, and playing against bots isn't that fun in it.
Pretty fun LAN multiplayer though.

I don't find 60€ for a MP-only game a problem, if the game is good enough! I apply the same principle everywhere really: If i pay that much for a game, i expect, nay, i need to get 500 hours+ entertainment from it. It must be a game i play for years. It must be really good.
However, there is no single MP-only game i would buy at the moment for that price. Heck, there ain't ANY game worth 60€, at the moment, i think (i do have highly specific tastes, standards and requirements). In retrospect, i've paid too much for most games.
I can see what you mean there.
It's just that gaming is already a ridiculously expensive hobby. One of the reasons I've always like Halo is that it feels like I am getting $60 worth of content. With a multiplayer only game like Titanfall though, you're paying $60 up front and then a subscription to actually play the damn thing. I just don't think that a game that is MP only can justify that even if it's really good.

Looking back at Halo 4 with some fresh perspective, sure there were a lot of iffy decisions. But the game was massive improved from launch. The only bad part that remained for me was flinch and sprint. Otherwise legendary BR slayer played pretty well. I don't think it recovered because people wrote off the game early on.

Halo 4 had many problems, but looking back now, I can't help but feel it just got caught up in a lot of the early negativity. Were the game to have been called UNSC: Infinity or something, it would have been much more successful.

Remember, instant respawn was removed, red X on death brought back, killcams disabled, static weapon spawns, fixed loadouts, etc. The only sticking point became flinch, otherwise the gunplay and gameplay without Infinity settings became very much classic Halo.

It was still way too easy to land shots though. Getting a four shot was routine and bloodless. The majority of the maps were bad. BTB will forever be a write off in that game because you can spawn with plasma pistol and nades (they should have removed them from loadouts). The medals were still terrible. The UI was unspeakably poor. Cheap one shot weapons everywhere. Active camo trolls abound. Severe frame rate undulations. Unplayable splitscreen with reticles jammed up against the screen. The list goes on and on...

Oh hey guys, guess what? 343 haven't learnt their lesson from H4; the post game carnage report in the MCC still doesn't give perhaps the most vital piece of information - the final score. Pure amateurism.

Cow

I'm sorry but I just can't agree with this. Halo 4 had boring encounters, sprint and flinch plagued it until it's end. Boringly large stretched out maps with wide walkways, no cover all because of sprint. People would just turn and run if they were losing an encounter, and as far as I can tell that won't change with Halo 5. Whilst a lot of the imbalances were removed (infinity slayer), the end result was far from playing like a classic Halo. The game was not fun and missed the intensity I remember so well from Halo 1-3. Halo 4 was a run or gun shooter.

Oh hey guys, guess what? 343 haven't learnt their lesson from H4; the post game carnage report in the MCC still doesn't give perhaps the most vital piece of information - the final score. Pure amateurism.
Haha I noticed that as well, I suppose 343 just want us to practice our addition.

Woorloog

Banned
I can see what you mean there.
It's just that gaming is already a ridiculously expensive hobby. One of the reasons I've always like Halo is that it feels like I am getting $60 worth of content. With a multiplayer only game like Titanfall though, you're paying $60 up front and then a subscription to actually play the damn thing. I just don't think that a game that is MP only can justify that even if it's really good.

I wasn't counting subs here. With subscription, nope, no way i'm gonna pay 60€. I think i paid 5€ for EVE Online on a Steam sale, and that's about as much i'm willing to pay for a MP-only game if it has a subscription (4 months at 15€ is 60€ already...).

Halo has been pretty special, yeah. I've put hundreds of hours to almost every Halo campaign, and hundreds of hours to almost every Halo MP, so i've definitively gotten enough entertainment from them.
Though it seems this is ending for me, i haven't played Halo 4 nearly as much as its predecessors (mostly because i don't play anything as much as i used to anymore), and i really don't approve the direction Halo 5 is going to.
AND now my brother decided to get a PS4, i figure if i ever get another console, it may well end up being PS4 as well. But that's a big if.

Fuchsdh

I like the new bulletin format to be honest. The first episode was a lot shorter then what I would want in the future, though. Hoping they use this new show to talk about Halo 5 during and post beta. Maybe talk about some of the changes they will make, or things they are testing that week. Show off some glimpses of other modes like BTB and forge.

The problem with video content is it's got to be shot and edited. Not to dismiss the work that goes into rounding up devs for a bulletin quote or editing what you've written... but it's going to be far less time consuming and thus far more immediate.

This is the problem I see going forward with the bulletins--unless they dragged Frankie to a corner and threw up a Al Qaeda style excerpt to throw into the middle of the video (and have that re-rendered and compressed in time for the deadline) there was no way to adequately address the bugs that were popping up. That immediacy is going to make 343 feel more out of touch and rehearsed, and the bulletins less genuine as a result.

I think it's a solid idea and it can be better, but an all-video format comes with some inherent disadvantages.

-Ryn

Banned
I wasn't counting subs here. With subscription, nope, no way i'm gonna pay 60€. I think i paid 5€ for EVE Online on a Steam sale, and that's about as much i'm willing to pay for a MP-only game if it has a subscription (4 months at 15€ is 60€ already...).

Halo has been pretty special, yeah. I've put hundreds of hours to almost every Halo campaign, and hundreds of hours to almost every Halo MP, so i've definitively gotten enough entertainment from them.
Though it seems this is ending for me, i haven't played Halo 4 nearly as much as its predecessors (mostly because i don't play anything as much as i used to anymore), and i really don't approve the direction Halo 5 is going to.
AND now my brother decided to get a PS4, i figure if i ever get another console, it may well end up being PS4 as well. But that's a big if.
Yeah in the case of games that are multiplayer only but don't require a sub then I can see being a bit more lenient about the price. With a sub though? Yeah fuck that noise.

I've also been gaming a lot less than I used to. Not because I don't like games anymore. I still love them and I always will. I don't know if it's just that I don't have the time or I've just found other things I enjoy doing as well. It seems like a lot of my old gaming buddies have either moved to something else or just don't game anymore. Kinda melancholy. It's one of the reasons I really hope Halo 5 nails it. I miss having good times in Halo without something in the back of my head nagging about how shitty a mechanic is. I just want to have some Halo fun again.

Did you guys see these Halo 3 custom games remakes on /r/halo? Would be good to have for the next time we do customs.

[–]ToxicSteve13 26 points 1 day ago
I liked when Fat Kid was a giant maze and you had obstacles and HE WAS RIGHT FUCKING THERE! OMG MOVE THAT FUCKING TRUCK

][–]GrammyOnReddit 13 points 1 day ago
It's called Omega Journey and was originally built for Convoy Ambush, it's being remade very soon

UnlawfulWillingAntbear.gif

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom