• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

Think it would have been fine if the level just wasn't so bright, draws away from the night aspect a bit.

Same with 343 guilty spark, I don't mind the new artstyle, but it would be much better if they'd made it darker.

Yeah. Not bad by any means. But a bit jarring.

Speaking of CEA. Just unlocked the Keyes terminal again. So badass. Best one I've seen. Once I finish campaign I'm going to go through Halo 2 and find those ones

Pop

The crushed blacks on the bone are so annoying on the later Halo 2 levels. Gravemind amd High Charity lose a lot of detail because of them

I use limited on X1 and full on PS4. No settings changed on the monitor, it's just broke on Xbox.

Omni

Just finished all the campaigns on heroic. Got like 12 achievements upon completion which was satisfying. Halo CE > Halo 2 = Halo 3 > Halo 4.

Also. I found the bandanna skull the other day. But it's not in the menu for Halo CEA. Is there something I'm missing?

Just finished all the campaigns on heroic. Got like 12 achievements upon completion which was satisfying. Halo CE > Halo 2 = Halo 3 > Halo 4.

Also. I found the bandanna skull the other day. But it's not in the menu for Halo CEA. Is there something I'm missing?

i think the bandana skull is part of the pre-order bonus of amazon or gamestop, it becomes available to all players automatically in december i think

Welfare

Bandanna (plus others) is a pre-order exclusive skull. All of these will be available to everyone on December 12th.

Because all the skulls are unlocked right away picking up skulls are just for achievements. Got to wait until Dec for the preorder ones to be unlocked.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member

Serious question, how'd you get the hog through that last door to the skull? I just can't make that jump anymore without it.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I commend 343 for giving us detailed patch notes and pushing the envelope to get the patch out earlier than expected (Friday). As a hardcore fan of Halo, specifically Halo CE and Halo 2, my passion comes from the ranking system. The pure competitive gold bliss that stems from match after match. The joy of ranking up after continued success in winning matches, then the frustration of losing matches and witnessing my rank go down, yet it only drives me to want to bounce back and improve myself and ultimately strive for the highest possible rank I can get it.

No other game quite does this, specifically shooters. Starcraft II is the closest game that gives that same sense of competitive bliss and offers divisions/leagues where you can improve yourself and literally see your ranking increase as a result.

Most shooters tie-in some artificial career ranking, which is nothing more than a World of Warcraft leveling concept, grind and grind away, while your numerical jpeg increases...never to decrease, in otherwords, it's just cosmetic to give you a psychological feeling you're good.

In ranked Halo 2, it's quite different. If you're a 10 after 100 games, then you know your skill level. While there's no shame being a specific ranking, for those who enjoy the ranking system, it offers fullfillment in competing online in one of the greatest console FPS games of all time.

Here's to hoping this patch will bring back the glory days of Halo 2 ranked matchmaking. I for one can't wait to dive in.

Omni

Serious question, how'd you get the hog through that last door to the skull? I just can't make that jump anymore without it.

Took a couple of minutes but you can just squeeze through if you go in on an angle

Though you gotta be careful you don't just drive right over the edge 'cause you speed up as you get through. I did that a few times xD

antigoon

Pretty embarrassing seeing them struggle to get 4v4 customs going. This patch cannot come fast enough. The last thing Halo needs is pros like Ogre2 and his CLG team struggling to get games going.

Also pretty embarrassing to be openly mocked on Twitter by your pro players.

dwells

343i apologists on gaming side frustrate me. "It's the publisher's fault". Give me a break.

Slurpers gonna slurp, my friend.

For real though, it is a bit disappointing to see so many people acting like all is well. We got a broken game, and ten days later we're getting some of the original functionality back, but there's still a bunch of stuff missing or broken. There's a long way to go for something that should've never been released in the state it was.

That said, I am glad that I might actually be able to play the game finally.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Cool thanks. I'll just keep playing H2 legendary in the mean time. These campaigns really are fantastic. I always thought heroic was the de facto difficulty.

Legendary is now that. So good.

Not criticizing people who like Legendary, but I can't enjoy Legendary because the actual AI are not smarter ranging from Normal to Heroic to Legendary, they're just buffed.

It's like the COD difficulties, everyone praised Veteran mode, but I couldn't stand that the AI were just buffed and made you feel useless.

I'd rather across the board on difficulties, the AI take the same amount of damage, and deal same amount of damage, but are actually smarter, more tactical, better aim, etc.

I wish I could enjoy the harder difficulties in MCC, but it just feels like a chore to play them because of the ridiculous buffs, that in my opinion are not true increases in difficulty, it's like the easy-way out of designing smart AI.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

For real though, it is a bit disappointing to see so many people acting like all is well. We got a broken game, and ten days later we're getting some of the original functionality back, but there's still a bunch of stuff missing or broken. There's a long way to go for something that should've never been released in the state it was.

I agree, game shouldn't have been released in its state. Whether or not it's true that the matchmaking crisis was caused by the game simply going LIVE...betas, especially friends and family, plus pvt invites, could have probably foreseen this issue. I can't imagine there isn't an actual way to stress-test the servers with artificial client boxes is there?

Anyway, 343 can make up their damaged brand by continuing to provide transparent communication to the community on a weekly/daily basis depending on the situations, and continue to push title updates frequently till the game is in a solid state.

In all actuality, people will forget about this once the game is functioning the way it should. I've forgotten about the whole Diablo 3 dibacle back when it launched...Blizzard have out done themselves with providing transparency, updates, and content.

A company like DICE though that have literally ruined the Battlefield franchise, I can't forgive, even a year later, the game is still messy and it took them well over six months to get the game in a semi-functioning state for online play. If 343 manages to solve the matchmaking issues in less than two weeks, that will be a good thing and help calm the waters.

Madness

But is anyone really doing that? I don't think I've seen many apologists at all, and if they are, they are in the extreme minority. All I've seen now, is basically what you said at the end, that you're glad to finally have a chance to play the game. A lot of people on gaming side are upset that posters are happy or grateful for the same reason wondering why they're not just as upset. But it's like, we all know the launch was borked, and we've seen how damaging it's been to the momentum of the game. Players have abandoned it, they've traded it in, getting openly mocked on twitch and Twitter. Is it really slurping to think, damn, finally guys, thank you for this patch so I can get back to playing? Yes the game shouldn't have shipped like this, yes they should've fixed it immediately and yes they are obligated to fix all these problems. But that doesn't mean people cannot see or appreciate that they have been working like mad trying to get this fixed. It's probably been as bad a crunch gets the past week at 343 and MS/Xbox side trying to get these issues sorted out.

Sephzilla

343i apologists on gaming side frustrate me. "It's the publisher's fault". Give me a break.

How isn't it a good chunk of MS fault though? It's not like MCC didn't pass Microsoft certification to go gold and get put on store shelves.

The biggest fault I can put on 343 is that they really should have had a MCC open beta. That would have caught the MCC issues before it was for sale.

Not criticizing people who like Legendary, but I can't enjoy Legendary because the actual AI are not smarter ranging from Normal to Heroic to Legendary, they're just buffed.

It's like the COD difficulties, everyone praised Veteran mode, but I couldn't stand that the AI were just buffed and made you feel useless.

I'd rather across the board on difficulties, the AI take the same amount of damage, and deal same amount of damage, but are actually smarter, more tactical, better aim, etc.

I wish I could enjoy the harder difficulties in MCC, but it just feels like a chore to play them because of the ridiculous buffs, that in my opinion are not true increases in difficulty, it's like the easy-way out of designing smart AI.
Great post. And before MCC I would have agreed with you. I think I'm just getting better at Halo, back in the day halo 2 legendary was a chore for me too. Same with CEA, I used the bandana skull and cheesed my way through legendary. Now I'm at 1.5/4 for legendary on MCC. And its like a new experience honestly.

I'm not getting stuck at particular rooms for ages (the Truth and Reconciliation firefight room aside. Fuck those sword elites) and progressing nicely.

Absolutely not saying "legendary is easy git gud". Just me personally everything is clicking and I'm having a blast playing through it.

I've done LASO on reach and 4, will probably try 1-4 LASO at some stage too. Halo campaigns have always been my favourite games. It's just like the MP, you know you can so better, and it keeps you motivated to get better too

Nirvana

For the 'Complete all Halo 2 Legendary missions in under 3 hours' banner, is that 'complete the entire campaign in under 3 hours, or you can't take more than 3 hours to complete any individual level?

Just curious, because it is worded really weirdly, and beating Legendary Campaign in under 3 hours is uhhh...difficult. I mean the world record is around the 1:30:00 mark, and I could maybe grind it out. But that is still pretty brutal.

Edit: Would be nice to know your Legendary times for each mission as well. I'm assuming you can do it segmented otherwise it is balls.

Sephzilla

Those 3 our legendary achievements are for total time through the campaign I believe. And yeah, considering the Halo 2 world record is only 90 minutes off from the achievement's cut-off point I think 3 hours is borderline silly.

Karl2177

yes

But that's to be expected. Destiny mp is such a disappointment too me.

Like even if you manage to get into a match in MCC and it's 1v4, you still have a level of predictability about the enemy players. You know that they have to follow this route and they aren't going to have that weapon. Destiny throws all that out the window and the end product is incredibly frustrating. It also doesn't help that basically every mode is Slayer.

Fuchsdh

Those 3 our legendary achievements are for total time through the campaign I believe. And yeah, considering the Halo 2 world record is only 90 minutes off from the achievement's cut-off point I think 3 hours is borderline silly.

Well, it's an achievement for speedrunners. We're gonna' have to rise to the occasion. Going to have to get better at sword flying and dropping down the AOTCR bridge, though.

(I spent twenty minutes trying to do the Keyes bump off the energy shield to skip the outdoor portion of the level, to no success. The problem I see with using previous records however is that some tricks essentially depended on using that lower frame rate to your advantage. You can't really count frames at 60fps.)

willow ve

Well, it's an achievement for speedrunners. We're gonna' have to rise to the occasion. Going to have to get better at sword flying and dropping down the AOTCR bridge, though.

(I spent twenty minutes trying to do the Keyes bump off the energy shield to skip the outdoor portion of the level, to no success. The problem I see with using previous records however is that some tricks essentially depended on using that lower frame rate to your advantage. You can't really count frames at 60fps.)

Some of the previous records were set using glitches and exploits that may no longer be available in the remastered version as well.

I got the Keyes bump to work for the first time after maybe 5 minutes if trying. Using classic mode and a plasma pistol for positioning is best.

Akai__

Sword flying doesn't work anymore. Still plenty of other tricks, that you will have to learn. It's not that easy. :p

I'm amazed every time when I look at leaderboards. For example, 3 minutes for Delta Halo = Mind blown.

Sephzilla

I'm not super familiar with Halo speedruns, so I want to pitch this question. In Halo CE, 3, and 4 speed runs how much of those rely on you breaking out of the intended level path/going out of the map?

-Ryn

Banned

Like Madness said is it really slrping? I don't see what's wrong with people who are just relieved the game will be working. You can realize that a studio done fucked up and still be happy about the game for one reason or another. I mean hell the more people with this attitude the better for the population.

Only time I was hyped for destiny was when it was just a concept. nothing looks fun about that game at all.
The worst part of Destiny for me is going back and watching those concept videos and even some of the gameplay previews. The game sounded so ambitous and I was prepared for it to be the game of the forever. Instead what we got was a half baked game with a couple cool ideas but nothing solid to hold it up. The story was complete shit compared to what it could've been (especially noticeable when you read the Grimiore cards).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Only time I was hyped for destiny was when it was just a concept. nothing looks fun about that game at all.

Destiny is actually a ton of fun, even if it is disappointing in scope from the original concept. Running strikes and doing missions with friends, or running raids is actually fun, and the MP, despite being quite different, has its moments.

The issue with Destiny is not that it isn't any fun, it's that it's such a tiny version of what it should have been (and maybe was at one point in development).

Impala26

Destiny is actually a ton of fun, even if it is disappointing in scope from the original concept. Running strikes and doing missions with friends, or running raids is actually fun, and the MP, despite being quite different, has its moments.

The issue with Destiny is not that it isn't any fun, it's that it's such a tiny version of what it should have been (and maybe was at one point in development).

^^^THIS^^^

Was talking to a buddy of mine and we both agreed that Crucible (PvP) should have like a "Pro" or "Tactical" mode that disables Supers and/or motion tracker. I could see lot's of people playing a mode like that actually.

But to be sure, the scope of Destiny is quite pedestrian compared to what was shown conceptually.

It's super sad that I felt more of a sense of community with my week of this awesome but super buggy and busted package than I felt with my entire time with Destiny.

I'm not super familiar with Halo speedruns, so I want to pitch this question. In Halo CE, 3, and 4 speed runs how much of those rely on you breaking out of the intended level path/going out of the map?
In CE and 4 there are definitely parts where you can break out and cut serious time off levels. Watch speedruns to get an idea.

In AOTCR in CE you can drop down from the first bridge and then no enemies spawn for the rest of the level. Doing it right you can finish that level in minutes.

As for halo 3 I have no idea. Im not a big fan of that game.

Impala26

From the Patch Thread:

Hello you felating customer service representatives, if your not too busy felating 343 and each other, please wipe that smug look off of your faces and felate me a refund for this defective product that 343 apologists keep felating on gaf.

Oh lawd...

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Are people complaing about refunding a digital purchase? Freaking call MSFT and demand a refund for the game...I'm sure if you ask for supervisor beyond the call center person, you can get your money back.

People should seriously just walk the walk instead of talking the talk.

Korosenai

So after playing Halo 4 last night, I wanted to read more on the Ur-Didact (I have not read silentium yet)......
And does 343 really have him killed by Master Chief and Blue Team? When does this even happen, what book?

This is seriously a wtf moment for me, because after Halo 4, I figured we would see him again in halo 5 or 6.... Guess not though.

The game's multiplayer still doesnt work ?

So after playing Halo 4 last night, I wanted to read more on the Ur-Didact (I have not read silentium yet)......
And does 343 really have him killed by Master Chief and Blue Team? When does this even happen, what book?

This is seriously a wtf moment for me, because after Halo 4, I figured we would see him again in halo 5 or 6.... Guess not though.

It was in a comic, sadly.

klodeckel

Banned
I am so damn happy when we can just talk about some nice Halo matches and moments again in a few hours ... Slowly but surely I am tired from all of this. Feels like I am reading the same comments every day here lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom